He was gunna be CUT.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Read this in my paper this morning as well. Apparently lucky that the Hawks got anything for the guy. They were DONE with him. Period.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
If what's in there is true, them dumping Harvin instead of letting Wilson burn his time on him is the higher probability choice. If you've ever been in a unit or on a team with someone that doesn't have their crap together and has a history of it, your probability of fixing it is low. During the process of trying to do so, they drag you down.

No matter what's up with all the sources and rumors, things were clearly really bad with Harvin if the guy was going to get cut. At least the Seahawks got something in return.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
A lot of good stuff in here that just confirms my trust in this organization from top to bottom.

1) Wilson didn't want Harvin gone, but wanted to help him. I love that he cared about Harvin as a person and wanted to be a part of a solution rather than just cut bait.

2) I love the the Seahawks were willing to cut Harvin even though Wilson didn't want him gone. They are looking out for him and know he can't be at his best if he is also doing the job of a counselor.

3) I love that JS was open and honest with teams. Yes, we probably could have received quite a nice haul for Harvin if Schneider had continued to cover it up and just say "we need the money for Wilson next year"...but he was honest about why they were trading him. I love this because it will only help us in trade negotiations in the future. Teams will be able to trust JS. If all this had come out about Harvin after the deal and JS had been dishonest, future negotiations would be more difficult.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
That bit about Wilson doing his best to help Harvin sort of blows all the "Wilson as Instigator" arguments that have surfaced the last few days right the hell out of the water!

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Turns out Harvin did have a bust up with Tate the day before SB48. Mike Rob just confirmed he broke it up.

Don't know what happened, but given everything that's come out I wished we backed our guy up (Tate). Should have traded Percy at season's end when his stock was high. I know we're being praised for acting on a mistake quickly, but we could have been quicker.

hoxrox

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/mikefreemanNFL/status/523440135820427265[/tweet]

HawkFan72

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":6ao6vw3k said:
Turns out Harvin did have a bust up with Tate the day before SB48. Mike Rob just confirmed he broke it up.

Don't know what happened, but given everything that's come out I wished we backed our guy up (Tate). Should have traded Percy at season's end when his stock was high. I know we're being praised for acting on a mistake quickly, but we could have been quicker.

I was thinking about that too. I wonder what we could have gotten for Percy before the draft last year. That Super Bowl performance would have been fresh on the minds of every GM.

Oh well.

A

Anonymous

Sounds like Schneider was up-front with teams on the drama as well, which speaks to our FO's integrity.

Looking back at this whole deal, I'm of the mind that if we didn't have star-player acquisitions that go bad and heavy media coverage on us I'd be disappointed. Disappointed that my team isn't at least trying to do what it needs to in order to get to the top.

To get on the phone and say, "Hey _____, I'll trade you Percy for _______? I gotta tell you, though, he's a real handful!"

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
HawkFan72":a0b863bn said:
A lot of good stuff in here that just confirms my trust in this organization from top to bottom.

1) Wilson didn't want Harvin gone, but wanted to help him. I love that he cared about Harvin as a person and wanted to be a part of a solution rather than just cut bait.

2) I love the the Seahawks were willing to cut Harvin even though Wilson didn't want him gone. They are looking out for him and know he can't be at his best if he is also doing the job of a counselor.

3) I love that JS was open and honest with teams. Yes, we probably could have received quite a nice haul for Harvin if Schneider had continued to cover it up and just say "we need the money for Wilson next year"...but he was honest about why they were trading him. I love this because it will only help us in trade negotiations in the future. Teams will be able to trust JS. If all this had come out about Harvin after the deal and JS had been dishonest, future negotiations would be more difficult.
The seahawks were never going to get a nice haul for Harvin even if they lied through their teeth.

Every other team has seen the same bust that we've had to endure, no one was going to trade much for him. His super expensive contract combined with bad production meant his trade value was shot.

We should be grateful we got anything.

warden

Reaction score
His 2014 salary was 100% guaranteed. Cutting him would of being a much bigger cap hit against us. Trading him and his salary means the Jets get to absorb some of the cap hit. Good job JS

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Jay Glazer said this morning on the FOX NFL pregame show that not only did Harvin refuse to go back into the Dullass game last week but that he did so during the San Diego game as well and that in both instances it was cuz he thought he wasn't getting the ball enough. He also did the same thing during the 1st preseason game and REFUSED to travel to Oakland for the last preseason game according to Glazer.

Also said they started trade talks a number of weeks back and were trying to pry Cameron Jordan from the Brownies in return.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Tuey were trying to get Jordan Cameron or Julius Thomas from him. Sounds decent. The price drop was steep cause we ended up witth a bag of peanuts. It still is better this way, than to cut him and let him go to Niners or Cards...

gargantual

Reaction score
They also had control over where he went this way. Even tho we don't have to eat the remaining seven mil left this year, wonder if the Jets knew he was that close to being released? Of course this way they were able to get him rather than compete with all the other teams for him.

Housh 2.0

mikeak

Reaction score
Obviously better to trade for something and cap relief vs cutting

BUT

I hate that a player can act this way and get what he wants. Should have been suspended without pay for behavior detrimental to team. If he kept it up the team should be able to claim that he breeched his contract AND they should go after him for signing bonus.

I know in the real world he just goes out and plays like crap - BUT that would kill his career

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Why in the hell does he care how he's getting used or not used? They were paying him big bucks to fetch water if they wanted him too.

Players are supposed to play. Coaches coach. After herein all this it would take an idiot to defend Percy's behavior.