paging cliff avril and michael bennett

sedrohawk

Reaction score
where have these two been all year? the two of them have been the biggest dissapointment for me this season.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Bennett had a number of impact plays today. He's been pretty consistent, to me. Avril has been somewhat absent.

SirTed

Reaction score
Lack of interior rush is what's killing us. Even when Bennett, Avril or Irvin come in off the edge, the QB is a step up away from getting away. just stupid.

SeeHawkRun

Reaction score
Bennett seems to be playing fine to me this season. But he can't do it all by himself. Avril has been seemingly a no show..but even Avril needs some more help. Interior pass rush has been non-existent, and coverage has seemed soft at times. Avril doesn't seem to thrive well under those conditions.

Jville

Reaction score
Wow ...... Cliff Avril didn't register a single defensive statistic.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
nanomoz":123v0y6p said:
Bennett had a number of impact plays today. He's been pretty consistent, to me. Avril has been somewhat absent.

Somewhat? Avril has been atrocious of late. Forget getting to the QB, he can't even set the edge! That's priority numero uno as a DE. Sherman shouldn't have to come up to make tackles at the LOS one to two yards off the tackle. That's Avril's job, and he can't do it.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Bennett has been very good this year. He doesn't deserve any criticism for poor play. He has been providing constant pressure and he's been all over the field.

Avril has been pretty invisible. But that was the knock on Avril that we heard from Lions fans: He disappears a lot and then he'll have a monster game. We haven't had the monster game yet. We had a bunch last year.

kmedic

Reaction score
I really think the lack of interior pass rush has been the first domino that had led to everything else being subpar. If you prevent the QB from moving up in the pocket that leads to easier hurries and sacks by Avril and Bennett, which in turn leads to better coverage and getting off the field on third down. We saw this happen in 2011 and 2012 folks.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Paging Earl, Sherm, KJ, Irvin, Kam et al. too

remember when they made plays? those were the days.

olyfan63

Reaction score
kmedic":2m083ae5 said:
I really think the lack of interior pass rush has been the first domino that had led to everything else being subpar. If you prevent the QB from moving up in the pocket that leads to easier hurries and sacks by Avril and Bennett, which in turn leads to better coverage and getting off the field on third down. We saw this happen in 2011 and 2012 folks.

Nailed it. With last year's pass rush, we would be 6-0 right now.
Dominoes, like you said. Instead of getting off the field, we are giving up long drives and touchdowns.

Chawks1

Reaction score
olyfan63":2jzl9spb said:
kmedic":2jzl9spb said:

Nailed it. With last year's pass rush, we would be 6-0 right now.
Dominoes, like you said. Instead of getting off the field, we are giving up long drives and touchdowns.

Interior rush is important but Avril isn't being double teamed most of the time. He just isn't getting off the ball and hitting the edge.....we need to dump his a** on the Jets too. Get something for him.....we won't be resigning him next year after he stole $7m from us this year.