Worst part? The narrative.

jkitsune

Reaction score
For me, the worst part of a loss like this, outside of the infuriating way it went down, the ongoing struggles of the defense and special teams units, is what we lost by not closing this one out - an opportunity to wash away the Percy Harvin narrative right away.

Sure, the offense started out slow, but the way they were clicking to end the game, if the 'Hawks don't give up that long 3rd down play (sound familiar?) and ultimately a TD, they more than likely win this game. They convert that 2pt conversion? They more than likely win this game (and I doubt the Rams run a fake in a tie game, though I wouldn't put anything past Fisher). Jermaine Kearse thinking that 2pt pass was for him and tipping it away from Turbin is how close this one came. If any number of things bounce slightly differently, we're talking about the revival of our offense in Harvin's absence, the resilience of the Seahawks and Russell Wilson, and rolling into next week at 4-2 with momentum.

Instead, it'll be at least a week before that ends, and the specter of doubt remains. I still think a win next week puts a lot of this behind us, but if not? Look out.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Why would a win next week matter?

It would be the same as beating the Raiders.

The only way this team can crawl out of this hole it to go 3-0 in the SF, Philly, SF stretch and there is no way they are doing that.

The bigger problem is why we thought the game right before the Rams game was a good time to get rid of Harvin? That should have been done before the Raiders game, trade or no. Nobody cares or should care about a 6th round pick. But that loss to the Rams is going to loom large.

OP
OP
jkitsune

jkitsune

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":li3xtnvd said:
Why would a win next week matter?

It would be the same as beating the Raiders.

The only way this team can crawl out of this hole it to go 3-0 in the SF, Philly, SF stretch and there is no way they are doing that.

The bigger problem is why we thought the game right before the Rams game was a good time to get rid of Harvin? That should have been done before the Raiders game, trade or no. Nobody cares or should care about a 6th round pick. But that loss to the Rams is going to loom large.

A win any week matters, and I think this team is very capable of getting on a roll if they're able to start clicking. The second half wasn't perfect (obviously), but significantly better, and if they can learn from that going forward, they can improve.

3-3 is really not that big of a 'hole.' I'm not saying you don't have every reason to feel every bit as gloomy as you feel, but there are 10 games left. This team could look worlds better, or far worse, by the time they get to SF/PHI/SF. No way to tell.

I thought the offense looked far better today without Harvin than it did last week. Hard to say if having him would have done more harm than good. But you're proving my point, to some extent - 3 extra points and we're not commenting on when they should have jettisoned Harvin.

No way to know. They could go into a tailspin and lose next week. They could rebound and win the next two and we're 5-3. I just think these things have a way of snowballing, and a win today would've changed the tenor quite a bit.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Dude, the offense put the Percy narrative to the curb and stomped the hell out of it.

If not for Fisher taking advantage of a distracted team with high drama and injuries piling up and catching them with their pants down on one of the greatest fake plays I've ever seen on the TD return, I don't think the game comes down to a ballsy fake punt where Fisher went ALL IN with his chips at the end if not converted would have put the Seahawks in FG.... I can see where the Seahawks weren't expecting it. It was a dumb decision overall but genius because it worked.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":kvdziq6b said:
Dude, the offense put the Percy narrative to the curb and stomped the hell out of it.

If not for Fisher taking advantage of a distracted team with high drama and injuries piling up and catching them with their pants down on one of the greatest fake plays I've ever seen on the TD return, I don't think the game comes down to a ballsy fake punt where Fisher went ALL IN with his chips at the end if not converted would have put the Seahawks in FG.... I can see where the Seahawks weren't expecting it. It was a dumb decision overall but genius because it worked.

No way Fisher makes that call either if his team wasnt 1-4 and heading down the crapper anyway.

when you've got nothing to lose, you pull that crap, and Pete should have known.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That is cute.

But no.

Isn't the saying "Fool me once..."?

Fool me 3 times is ridiculous. How many years in a row are we going to fall for a trick play before we start acknowledging we have to prepare for them?

This team lost because it gave up ST plays repeatedly, because it failed to prepare for a trick play against a team that ALWAYS tries them against us (at least one per game), and because it put the game in the hands of referees that were tragically horrible the entire game. Shockingly bad refs make decisions that benefit the home team. That isn't an NFL fix, it is the tendency of bad refs no matter where they are.

The worst part is that this team chose to play a sloppy game against a team that tends to give it fits and then let its guard down against that same team that has won games against us repeatedly by using tricks. Oh and because our division opponent manhandled this same team last week.

This was a team we poorly prepared for. We lost it before the ball was kicked off to start the game.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score

kearly

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2eeqloej said:

Ditto. Best game in a couple years from Wilson. Hawks had fire in this game, on offense at least. Not sure where the Harvin narrative would start.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kearly":21gubutz said:
Pandion Haliaetus":21gubutz said:

Ditto. Best game in a couple years from Wilson. Hawks had fire in this game, on offense at least. Not sure where the Harvin narrative would start.
With all due respect (and I mean that) they scored 6 points in the first half and were one of the reasons they were down 18 at half. If you would have said second half, I'd agree.