Clock running after 1st down

Sealake80

Reaction score
On our last drive Lynch beasts for a first down and runs out of bounds and the clock continues to run. Shouldn't it stop there until reset and snapped?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sealake80":1rt8o3be said:
I'm tired of officiating in NFL.

The clock also ran after the fake punt by Rams, while they were celebrating. They wasted about 40-45 seconds on that.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2mwf7uyw said:
Sealake80":2mwf7uyw said:

The clock also ran after the fake punt by Rams, while they were celebrating. They wasted about 40-45 seconds on that.

And why should it have been stopped? He was tackled in bounds. This is the NFL, not college. The clock doesn't stop on a first down.

SirTed

Reaction score
no, I thought he went out of bounds

BUT

The clock doesn't stop on a player going out of bounds outside of 5:00 in each half. It may even be 4:00, can't remember

Hawkpower

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3kgdxsxu said:
Sealake80":3kgdxsxu said:

Well the refs had to hurry over to congratulate Fisher and shake his hand. No time for silly things like watching the clock :)

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Sealake80":1c1l3oyp said:
On our last drive Lynch beasts for a first down and runs out of bounds and the clock continues to run. Shouldn't it stop there until reset and snapped?

You can only be talking about the catch on the sideline with about 5:30 left in the game. With the exception of the last two minutes of the first half and the last five minutes of the 2nd half, when the player goes out of bounds, the clock is stopped until they re-spot the ball, then it is started again. They did stop e clock for a period of time after he went out of bounds. The clock was ran correctly.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. I was wondering about that one too. So it's the last 5 minutes of each half that the clock stops until the next snap on out-of-bounds.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
SirTed":1dhjqema said:
no, I thought he went out of bounds

BUT

The clock doesn't stop on a player going out of bounds outside of 5:00 in each half. It may even be 4:00, can't remember

He wasn't even close to being out of bounds.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Sealake80":21tk93uf said:
Lynch didn't run out?

He did. I was referring to the fake punt. Read my other post on why the clock ran on the Lynch play.