Injuries are takin a toll---get off the ledge

CentralPAHawkFan

Reaction score
I know everyone is about ready to jump after today and the past few weeks. The NFL is a humbling league. Thankfully my wife and kids were at disney on ice today or they all may have learned a new vocabulary.

Reading all these posts about officiating is embarrassing. We are the hunted this yr - we are not going to get many calls. How about not putting ourselves in that position to begin with? How about not getting dominated on special teams? How about not letting Austin Davis drive down the field for a TD in 4th qtr? Stop blaming the officials every time we lose a game.

We are the defending champs and dealing with a TON of injuries and our depth isn't anywhere close to last yrs depth. We have our starting center, middle LB, starting right CB, two top tight ends, and fullback out right now. We also have Kam playing at far less than 100% and Okung playing with 1 arm. (Good luck if Bailey steps in for all you Okung haters - i will take Okung with 1 arm over Bailey at LT). We are also without Lane a few more wks. Even Hill was out today and hurt our DL depth and rotation.

Maragos may be the special team pro bowler this yr for the Eagles, so even our special teams depth took a big hit with Maragos and Farwell gone.

Whomever is healthy in December and goes on a run will be dangerous. I hope that turns out to be us. Thankfully we don't play AZ and SF for several wks yet and we have some time to hopefully get healthy. Any further injuries and we could be in deeper trouble.

These are games we won last yr, but they are going the other way this yr. We need to hang on, get healthy, and get hot later in the yr. This team will be a much different team if we can actually avoid further injuries and get Wagner, Miller, Unger, Lane, and Maxwell back.

And the Harvin debacle this week had a psychological impact, no matter if anyone in the organization actually admits it or not. Human nature.

capncrunch

Reaction score
CentralPAHawkFan":3rpiu49n said:
I know everyone is about ready to jump after today and the past few weeks. The NFL is a humbling league. Thankfully my wife and kids were at disney on ice today or they all may have learned a new vocabulary.

Reading all these posts about officiating is embarrassing. We are the hunted this yr - we are not going to get many calls. How about not putting ourselves in that position to begin with? How about not getting dominated on special teams? How about not letting Austin Davis drive down the field for a TD in 4th qtr? Stop blaming the officials every time we lose a game.

We are the defending champs and dealing with a TON of injuries and our depth isn't anywhere close to last yrs depth. We have our starting center, middle LB, starting right CB, two top tight ends, and fullback out right now. We also have Kam playing at far less than 100% and Okung playing with 1 arm. (Good luck if Bailey steps in for all you Okung haters - i will take Okung with 1 arm over Bailey at LT). We are also without Lane a few more wks. Even Hill was out today and hurt our DL depth and rotation.

Maragos may be the special team pro bowler this yr for the Eagles, so even our special teams depth took a big hit with Maragos and Farwell gone.

Whomever is healthy in December and goes on a run will be dangerous. I hope that turns out to be us. Thankfully we don't play AZ and SF for several wks yet and we have some time to hopefully get healthy. Any further injuries and we could be in deeper trouble.

These are games we won last yr, but they are going the other way this yr. We need to hang on, get healthy, and get hot later in the yr. This team will be a much different team if we can actually avoid further injuries and get Wagner, Miller, Unger, Lane, and Maxwell back.

And the Harvin debacle this week had a psychological impact, no matter if anyone in the organization actually admits it or not. Human nature.

Good write up. Good points. I was happy to see Richardson, Helfet and even Michael and Norwood get some action today. They can help us going forward.

blkhwk

Reaction score
Well said. health is probably the biggest factor in today's NFL. Few teams have depth at many positions. Nearly every game (maybe not the Jags), comes down to 3-5 plays. To dominate there is very little margin for error!

el capitan

Reaction score
Whilst I don't disagree that injuries have contributed to our problems Arizona has lost half it's defense and also lost their starting QB for 3 games and they're 4-1.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
el capitan":3jvo9pjr said:
Whilst I don't disagree that injuries have contributed to our problems Arizona has lost half it's defense and also lost their starting QB for 3 games and they're 4-1.

Ya...I cant explain how they keep winning.....maybe their starters were acutally bad to begin with and backups were even if not better

irocdave

Reaction score
NFL wants drama and the Hawks were not in the cards to repeat this year. Hawks got a lot of questionable calls to go there way last year, now they are back to being on the wrong end of them. No question in my mind. Hawks have been in that position with calls since day one. The Hawks are not helping their cause though, no question about that. To many penalties, poor offensive play calling, drops, poor QB play, poor offensive line play etc. But, only a moron would say the bad calls haven't had an impact on the games. Hell, just look at the two Carpenter has been called on. Pure BS, then the fumble at the end of the game. Sheesh. Not nearly as bad as Inteceptorverde's head crossing the goal line, just as horrible call against Baltimore a year later or the fiasco that was our first SB. The NFL is creating parody when it can and story lines for the media. The Hawks didn't perform well either, but the officiating was a joke and led to the outcome.