I'm IN. Are YOU, 12?

Rob12

Reaction score
Last year was a rough year for me.

I lost my dad unexpectedly on March 25, 2013. He was my favorite 12, even though he did it from his couch. He was never quite as passionate as me, but he did love this team. Losing him has changed my perspective on life astronomically. I've seen rock bottom as a man, but am turning the corner. I watched my first game with him in 1989 - the day Largent hauled in his 100th career touchdown pass. I was 7. I've been hooked ever since.

I bring that up because February 2, 2014 was a massively bittersweet day for me. As I watched the team we both love win their first Super Bowl, I became quite emotional. I watched Russell hoist the Lombardi with tears streaming rapidly down my cheeks, remembering back to the day that him and I watched his beloved Nebraska Cornhuskers get annihilated by the Wisconsin Badgers and their QB, No. 16.

"I don't care how tall he is, that kid will be winning games on Sundays," he said, quite emphatically.

Then we drafted him. My dad was happy as could be, telling me that we just drafted our franchise QB.

So those tears meant something. My dad was smiling - I know it. I wished like hell that he was there to give me a celebratory hug.

I remember the interview that Russell did with Terry Bradshaw, and I remember him talking about his dad. You could see the love in our quarterback's eyes and how even though his dad is gone from this earth, his words stay with him. That's when I knew we were going to win 48.

But this isn't about 48. That's over, and this is a different team now with new struggles and a mountain of adversity that they didn't have to climb last year.

But like Russell's dad's words stay with him, my dad's words stay with me. After the Atlanta playoff game two seasons ago, my dad consoled me and said, "No. 3, buddy. No. 3. We'll be back."

Those words. It's a different team, but we have the same Captain steering the ship. I know that Russell can't go it alone, but I believe that he will get this team - HIS team - back. I saw a franchise QB today put his team on his back and there is not a single doubt in my mind that had he got the ball back with a minute to go, we win this game.

We're a new team from here on out. We can't do anything about today, but I feel so strongly about this team righting the ship and putting the collective naysayers right back in their place. Our identity as a team was not going to be reclaimed in such short fashion, but today, despite the painfulness of a loss such as this, proved to me that we are on our way. We'll get there. I'm damn sure of it.

Maybe that doesn't mean a repeat. I think we can all agree that talk such as that at this point is not all that logical. But we're getting back to Seahawks' football. Things will be cleaned up.

For those of you who have mailed this season in, I'm good with you. I don't question your allegiance or fandom. We're all 12's here, which connects us all.

I just happen to think if that's your stance, you're wrong.

This isn't 2013. I've closed that chapter written by a team that will forever hold a special place in my heart. A team that, quite frankly, was one of my most supportive friends as I went through the most heart wrenching and life-altering experience of my life. A friend that picked me up when I was too weak to get up. If that sounds corny, so be it - but it's all the way true.

I choose to keep believing. I choose to keep believing in No. 3. I choose to keep believing in Pete and how he leads this team. Earl, Sherm, Kam, Wagz, Beast, ADB... All of them. I believe because I know they do, too. And they demand that you do as well.

2014 - the comeback starts now.

SEA...

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I'll always be a die-hard fan of this team.. but I've seen nothing over the last month to tell me they're about to flip that switch.

I would love to be wrong, I just am beginning to really feel like this isn't our year.

(Also very sorry for your loss)

pehawk

Reaction score
I hate when I'm asked "are you in?" So embarrassing because the answer's always "yes, and I've been in for awhile"

minormillikin

Reaction score
pehawk":19nkkr72 said:
I hate when I'm asked "are you in?" So embarrassing because the answer's always "yes, and I've been in for awhile"

This.

Plus, it sounds too much like," is it in yet? "

ivotuk

Reaction score
Great post. I learned a lot from my dad too before he passed, and I try to live my life where he would be proud.

We are very fortunate to have Russell Wilson, but today was a painful loss. A lot has to do with the distractions from he who shall not be named, but that is now in the past.

This team will pull together and get over it. We need our offensive line and defensive line to get their shit together and start playing as a team. They need to play through the injuries and come together as a team.

I see this next game as the testament to how tough these guys are mentally. I expect them to focus on this weeks practice like there's no tomorrow and play their best game of the season.

Our season last year started at Carolina, I expect the "new" season to start there this year as well.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1pev9p72 said:
I'll always be a die-hard fan of this team.. but I've seen nothing over the last month to tell me they're about to flip that switch.

I would love to be wrong, I just am beginning to really feel like this isn't our year.

(Also very sorry for your loss)

And that's fair. They haven't given much reason to.

I respect that. It's logical and safe.

I just happen to think that with this group, losing will have a way of motivating everyone. People will say the San Diego or Dallas game should have done that, and it's hard to disagree. But in the midst of those losses, the team was dealing with something that none of us knew about - the toxicity of Percy Harvin. The factors there had to contribute negatively more than we probably think.

The way we played in the second half did a lot for my belief in this team. We were terrible in the first half, but closed it out by out scoring the Rams 23-7 in the second half. Russell had arguably his best day as a pro. I think that can built upon moving forward.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
pehawk":d4eee8lq said:

Apologies. Edited just for you.

Mods, can I get a thread title change?

sam1313

Reaction score
I'm in. I saw a lot of positives, and I have already posted about them elsewhere. Let's go kick some Panther butt.

Go Hawks!

Sterlinghawk

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss old friend I've never met. I too am encouraged by what I saw today. The process has begun.

Lets do it ol' school

Go....

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":3u4vxubq said:
Our season last year started at Carolina, I expect the "new" season to start there this year as well.

Funny you should say that because this game felt a lot like the 2012 Divisional Playoff game in Atlanta to me, and I was thinking that it seemed appropriate that we would we going to Carolina next.

Not sure about this season as a whole but I am sure about next week: the Seahawks WILL beat the Panthers.

Seahawks 21
Panthers 13

pehawk

Reaction score
Rob12":32ov4re4 said:
pehawk":32ov4re4 said:

Apologies. Edited just for you.

Mods, can I get a thread title change?

No need for apologies and sorry if it came off wrong. Trying to bring levity, that's all. I'm always in, I got a Hawks tattoo in 1993...3-3 is a godsend compared to most of my life.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I was never out....I refuse to give up on this team. Still a lot of games left to be played.

ShaunPope

Reaction score
I don't believe the 14' Hawks are capable of turning this season around enough to make a huge playoff run. I hope I'm wrong, but they just look lost and lifeless, especially on defense. Guys like Earl really need to stop publicly saying things like "We're gonna fix this." every damn week because they look completely foolish when they continue to get burned each week after proclaiming such things. Just shut your trap and make plays on the field, then you can talk.

Green13

Reaction score
I'm all in.

This may not be our season, but I saw the offense come back to life today. I'm going to focus on that.