Please look at this video. Tell me how the refs ruled that

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Yes... It was total bs. Seen it 14 times already and it's the same outcome. We have the ball no if ands or buts. But got hosed by the refs

HawkFan72

Reaction score
The video guys said there was no clear recovery by either team on video, so St. Louis gets the ball.

SINCE WHEN!? Since when did the player who has the ball in the pile not get possession of the ball?

What they are saying is this: Sherman got the ball in the pile. But the video doesn't show either team gaining possession of the ball. So we gave the ball to St. Louis.

This is such crap!

minormillikin

Reaction score
As annoyed as this makes me, the fake punt makes me 10x more angry.

If we had stopped that play, we would have had the ball in the Redzone, only down by 2.

The fumble play was a giant, messy, unsatisfying way to end the game. But the fake punt is the one that I keep imagining going differently in my head.

... Almost pulled out a sloppy, ugly win. Imagine how different the mood would be...

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
The whole thing was bogus... Pete was on the field, about 15 yards in screaming his head off and... No flags, no explanation, not a damn word... Nobody knew what was going on but the refs

dbsn2420

Reaction score
The call was that Cory Harkey, #46 for the Rams recovered. He was late to the pile and during the pile up, you can clearly see him laying outside the pile and pulling himself in closer to Sherman.

We got screwed again no doubt about it.

SeaDiddy

Reaction score
The explanation doesn't make sense. Blandino says that coming out of the pile with the ball is not proof of recovery. But Sherman was on top of the ball when everyone started piling on. If he comes out of the pile with it, how is that not clear evidence of recovery? I guess I just don't understand officiating that well.

irocdave

Reaction score
This thread is destined to be droned out by the " hawks had plenty of chances, Hawks penalties etc.) crowd. This crowd is the same who believes positive thinking means something. It doesn't. Trust me. It doesn't. The NFL got what they wanted for what ever reason. Same as last week. Same as 2005 in the SB. The Hawks and us fans were the beneficiary of questionable calls last year but the Hawks / our time is up. I find it funny how so many new fans find this weird. This is what it really like being a hawk fan. The NFL dictates games as much as they can, the team has to be head and shoulders above the other team to overcome the BS calls. Hard to do when you have several starters out with injury's. The NFL is about drama, and they do everything they can to create it. This isn't a sport, it's entertainment. At least that's how it's portrayed to congress, hence the antitrust laws protecting the NFL. Nothing new here except the noobies that haven't seen it in action. The local niners fans have seen it for the last couple of years. The NFL has a huge influence on who wins and loses. Cant wait for that guy to come out and pop the bubble.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
SeaDiddy":ina7pbbw said:
The explanation doesn't make sense. Blandino says that coming out of the pile with the ball is not proof of recovery. But Sherman was on top of the ball when everyone started piling on. If he comes out of the pile with it, how is that not clear evidence of recovery? I guess I just don't understand officiating that well.

That's why their explanation is a load of crap. In any other game, that would be proof of recovery.

The ball goes to the player who has possession in the pile.

BASF

Reaction score
I can only go off what I saw, since I haven't gone back to look at it yet, but it looked like they were spotting the ball where the Rams player landed on the ball and then the ball slipped out of his hands. The refs on the field must have believed (incorrectly) that he had control of the ball long enough to determine possession then got hit by one of our guys and coughed it up while on the ground (once again incorrectly).

SeaDiddy

Reaction score
Yeah, they ruled that Hankey, or whatever his name is recovered it when he fell on it 10 yards before, but I'm pretty sure you have to have possession to actually recover it, and since the ball came out without anyone touching him, it's pretty obvious he didn't have possession. That ruling alone should have triggered a replay. Maybe they just didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to figure out possession in the pile.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
That clown didn't have possession of the ball... He dove on it and it squirted out immediately. That's not possession. If anyone remembers when Davis caught the ball last year, took 3 steps, then fumbled (against the panthers) And the refs ruled it an incomplete pass??!? Well this was 10x less time than that, there's no way he had possession!!!

Hawkpower

Reaction score
SeaDiddy":zi2r4h63 said:
Yeah, they ruled that Hankey, or whatever his name is recovered it when he fell on it 10 yards before, but I'm pretty sure you have to have possession to actually recover it, and since the ball came out without anyone touching him, it's pretty obvious he didn't have possession. That ruling alone should have triggered a replay. Maybe they just didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to figure out possession in the pile.

This is exactly what they ruled.

And its beyond stupid.]

How can a guy have possession of the ball when there is a pile of guys 5 yards away from him of guys going after the ball he no longer possesses?

No logic whatsoever. Im going to try and let this go, but just thinking about it raises my blood pressure about 50 points :)

Mick063

Reaction score
Seattle was getting these close ones last year.

The law of averages.

The call that aggravated me the most was where Carpenter got about as phantom of a holding call as I have seen, shortly followed on the next Ram possession, by repeated blatant holds on Irvin during the Ram's last scoring drive.

I quit watching the NBA, long ago, because my blood pressure couldn't handle how the calls were influencing the games so heavily. I'm starting to reach that saturation point with the NFL.

Timberhawk

Reaction score
This thread is destined to be droned out by the " hawks had plenty of chances, Hawks penalties etc.) crowd. This crowd is the same who believes positive thinking means something. It doesn't. Trust me. It doesn't. The NFL got what they wanted for what ever reason. Same as last week. Same as 2005 in the SB. The Hawks and us fans were the beneficiary of questionable calls last year but the Hawks / our time is up. I find it funny how so many new fans find this weird. This is what it really like being a hawk fan. The NFL dictates games as much as they can, the team has to be head and shoulders above the other team to overcome the BS calls. Hard to do when you have several starters out with injury's. The NFL is about drama, and they do everything they can to create it. This isn't a sport, it's entertainment. At least that's how it's portrayed to congress, hence the antitrust laws protecting the NFL. Nothing new here except the noobies that haven't seen it in action. The local niners fans have seen it for the last couple of years. The NFL has a huge influence on who wins and loses. Cant wait for that guy to come out and pop the bubble.

I am about as positive as can be, I think. That said, i believe you are 100% correct. NBA has been the best at this and the NFL is following suit. If games are close you get to charge more for advertising. If their is parity that keeps more fans engaged and hoping it is there year. I remember someone looked into the officiating a few years back in the NBA and they found calls would switch dramatically against the team that was winning. The thought was, "You cant make Jordan make that last second shot, but you can put him in a position to try."

Frustrating for sure.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":37bqb6lo said:
SeaDiddy":37bqb6lo said:

And its beyond stupid.]

How can a guy have possession of the ball when there is a pile of guys 5 yards away from him of guys going after the ball he no longer possesses?

No logic whatsoever. Im going to try and let this go, but just thinking about it raises my blood pressure about 50 points :)

That is exactly NOT what they ruled. Possession wasn't ruled until after the pile, not before it like you two are claiming.

seabowl

Reaction score
Hawkpower":y3c5rp1d said:
SeaDiddy":y3c5rp1d said:

And its beyond stupid.]

Rule is with under 2:00 remaining if ball is fumbled by offense and the O recovers then ball goes back to spot of fumble. In this case the refs would have to have ruled that a Ram came out with the ball from the pile. I saw absolutely no person or ruling from the ref that a Ram recovered the ball from the pile.

I am not one to believe in a fix by the NFL but do not understand how they ruled this was. IMO it's plain incompetence from part time refs with full time jobs in the NFL offseason.