Two weeks can change a lot of perception

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Obviously the 2014 Seahawks are vastly different from the team a season ago, for a multitude of reasons.. the primary one IMO is the injury bug hitting us at key positions.. and not just hitting those positions, but hitting them hard by losing both starters and backups.

However, we still sit at 3-3 .. and while we were obviously expecting something a lot different at this point.. and as bad as it has looked.. we're arguably two plays away from 5-1 right now

All that said .. that's obviously not changing.. but if this team can play the way they did today in the 2nd half over the next two weeks.. there is light at the end of the tunnel.. as the division leading Cardinals actually are about to go through a pretty big test for their football team, in much the same way we will have our gauntlet in late Nov-Dec

Their next 5 games are as follows:

vs. Philly
at Dallas
vs. St. Louis
vs. Detroit
at Seattle

Only one team below .500 .. and three of the hottest teams in the NFC are going to be playing the Cards in the next 5 games.

If this team can just right the ship and get healthy.. the Cardinals WILL come back to Earth.. and suddenly, this team can find themselves on top of the division again. I think they can beat a Panthers team, that's simply not good right now.. and then we come back home to host the worst team in football.

In two weeks.. we could very well see a tie at the top of the division at 5-3

ringless

Reaction score
Yes, I think 4-5 weeks from now the division will be in a 3 way tie type scenario.... I think we are going to lose some games coming up... 3-2 wouldn't be the end of the world for us, but it certainly would make the division interesting and I'd be concerned about our playoff chances moving forward

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I love the positive outlook, Hass.

Despite being 3-3, a lot of things can happen in the next 10 games.

Its not over, until we're completely out.

We have to catch up but its not even close to being out of reach.

kearly

Reaction score
This team is certainly on the outside looking in right now. But don't expect to find Russell breaking a sweat over it.

There tends to be a lot of variance year to year with defense. Usually the elite defenses are immune to this, which is what makes this year so unexpected.

The Dallas loss is the only one this year that didn't have me itching to make excuses for the Seahawks. I think a 4-2 record is a much more accurate picture of how Seattle has played so far. Eventually, they will win a game we didn't expect them to. They seem to win a couple of those every year.

Until that time comes, they need to find ways to consistently win games where Vegas is betting big on them. If they do that and pull a couple upsets, they'll make the playoffs.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
The fact that we still have 5 division game left gives me some hope. Anything less than 4-1 in those games likely means no division championship/playoffs. That said, Hawks also need to win this next game, badly and at least split the KC and Philly games and beat both Oakland and the Giants at home to have a realistic shot at the division and/or playoffs.

I also believe that in order to get to the playoffs, Pete is going to have to change his outlook/philosophy and let Russ and the offense loose a bit more. I just don't see the defense improving enough to be relied upon to carry the team like they did last year, even when we get the majority of guys back from injury.

NJlargent

Reaction score
These posts have made me feel a bit better about yesterday. It also helped that SF got blasted last night. I think that we legitimately could go on a run over the next 3 weeks and get to 6-3 and set the table for righting the ship. Carolina next week is a critical game because if we win we have Oakland and the NYG next and should definitely be 6-3. If we lose to Carolina, we will be 3-4 and I have little faith we come back from sub .500 even though I think we beat Oakland the following week regardless of who starts for us that game at any position.

I also am still more concerned about SF than Arizona. The Cards will come back to earth. I really hope we are tied with SF heading into the Thanksgiving game so that we can get a game up on them if we should pull out a win (which today seems like a loss). I expect to lose Philly the following week so then we will be tied again with SF heading into the SF at the Clink.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Jayburd14":215cr0c3 said:
We still control our own destiny for the NFC West Division Championship.

Yup. Cardinals are 2 games up and we still play them 2 more times.

If we can get our crap together, the division is still very much in reach.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The Cardinals can very well go 1-4, 2-3 over these next 5 games as well.. They have a brutal stretch coming up.

We just need to get healthy .. That alone will make a world of difference. Max, Lane, Unger, Wagner, Simon, Miller and on and on... All these guys are coming back sooner than later. We could very well see this team pick up steam as the year goes on, but of course this is all predicated on beating Carolina first and foremost.