I am kind of suprised

chris98251

Reaction score
With all the mistakes in games by officials and the noted increase in penalties on all teams and disruption to the flow of the game, I half expected a petition to be started to the NFL about reversing the away from the ball stuff as well as ticky tack interference penalties thats slowly strangling the game.

It's only pressure by the fans that will push things back.

With everyone in every forum having the same complaints the numbers could be significant let alone outside forums and in front of games etc.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Nothing will get done until one of the "legacy teams" loses a game because of bad calls. See the "wail mary" game for exhibit A.

Barthawk

Reaction score
Some of these calls have to get fixed.. Did anyone else see the drive sustaining "roughing the passer" penalty on Palmer yesterday by #55? It was a textbook tackle just as the ball was released.

The arbitrary nature of the holding call is wearing me down as well. The call on Alvin Bailey on Beast's TD was terrible, but conversely the SJ missed Earl getting tackled at the 15-17 yard line on the long KO return. There is no consistency from one ref to another on the same crew let alone from crew to crew in the NFL and that is ludicrous.

Much like an umpire, if they call a low strike all game, you can adjust because it is consistent.. NFL referees are far from consistent. I am sure most NFL fans feel the same way and don't want to see the game we love disrupted by an inefficient yet highly influential "player" in the our game.

Largent80

Reaction score
This is ruining the game for me. I turned yesterdays game off in the 1st quarter and detailed my car instead.

I am fed up with it. At least call the game evenly or I will not watch anymore.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sadly I believe the only thing that will change it is a decline in ratings attributed directly to the officiating. The only thing Goodell and the owners pay attention to is profit.

Hawks46

Reaction score
This isn't just about us, and I've posted such all season. That said:

I honestly don't even know what is an offensive holding penalty anymore. Half the flags you see are "WTF?" penalties. Meanwhile you are consistently seeing pass rushers tackled on the way to the QB and it's ignored (I can't see missed because they still have an official back there for just that reason and it's really hard to miss. They don't miss anyone breathing on the QB hard). Sacks are way down across the league and I believe this is part of it.

In just one game I've seen DPI on Sherman plucking the back of a WRs jersey (yup, it's a penalty, but ticky tack and didn't effect the outcome of the severely underthrown ball), yet you have a LBer literally grasping the face mask of WIllson on a play before he gets the ball, in no way looking back to the ball and no call. That's the very definition of faceguarding.

Boldin got away with 2 egregious OPI's last game. I'm not sure if the refs just think that's part of his game, or what. Not bitching because they were getting housed anyways, so it could be a ratings no call. I also wonder if our OL has a bad rep as being well, bad, and are getting some phantom calls because of it.

The league wants higher scoring, and DPI's, and no holding calls are getting that and making the fantasy football geeks really happy. FF is huge now, so I don't see the fan outcry until this gets patently ridiculous and unwatchable.