lil' birdie twittered in my ear...

The12thMan

Reaction score
Been a long time, .NET nation. Anywho not sure anymore of the posting rules, so mods feel free to delete if needed, but my little birdie is reporting that talks between the Hawks and Bucs in regards to VJax are happening. Nothing imminent as far as a deal goes, but the FO has been aware of the lack of, and hence actively pursuing taller receiving targets for RW since the unexpected retirement of Sidney. Currently it is my understanding that TB is seeking approx a 2 and a 4/5, Seahawks are holding firm currently at a 3rd only.
But the FO knows they need a taller, dynamic receiving option for RW and the lack of one is affecting the available play calls. They had hoped that they could get by with attacking the edges in various ways, but that hasn't panned out and the FO is now looking to aggressively fix that hole.

Anywho thought you all may be interested, and again if this is against the rules please delete mods.

EDIT: Two clarifications (one I didn't know, the other I simply forgot to mention in rushing to post this before a meeting this morning).
The 3rd round offer is for the 2016 draft, not the upcoming 2015 draft. FO is leary to trade away any picks from the 2015 draft. Never say never about trading 2015 picks but doesn't seem likely from how it was told to me. Sorry about any confusion over the pick, I didn't realize initially it was a 2016 3rd rounder. (Pretty sure I wasn't told 2016 but whatever, I'll fall under the bus haha.)
And the trade would require VJAX redoing his contract to a more reasonable range (no idea what that range is, wasn't shared/birdie didn't know) . Not sure how likely/unlikely this would be, I'd personally think not too likely since I think Jackson just recently got his payday, but maybe the hope is VJAX takes less for a chance to win? That last part is my speculation, could be totally off. Anywho that is all I know on that topic. In the end I'm just a fan like you guys, so I'm hoping for Ws, however we get them.

Go Hawks!

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
You're on our approved list, old friend :) Thanks for the info, good to hear from you!

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Not sure how to feel about that. Jackson is getting up there in age, and we don't have the best track record when it comes to WR trades/FA acquisitions. With that said, Jackson has been much better in Tampa than I expected, and has played in all 16 games each of the past 3 seasons, so he seems to be durable and reliable.

I do like that the FO is aggressively seeking to address a hole, but man, I sincerely hope they hold firm. Even a 3rd might be steep given Jackson's cap hit. But if the rumors are true that multiple teams are chasing Jackson, a 3rd might be what it takes.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Given his age, contract and their demands, I'd have thought there was no chance of this happening. Which is exactly why it probably will.

pehawk

Reaction score
I was believing this until Abs called him "friend".

This makes sense, but, wouldn't this have just been included with the Percy talks? And, is VJacks a blocking type?

suppaball

Reaction score
I like V.Jack but getting old, still he would be a nice pick up for a couple of years if willing to restructure his deal.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Isn't this why we drafted Norwood? To be our big target receiver?

If there's one thing this organization has proven, it is terrible at trading for FA receivers..........and isn't really good at drafting them either (not for a long time anyway).

kidhawk

Reaction score
Interesting. If we gave up something similar to what we got for Harvin, then I'd be all for it. I'd not be for giving up too high of a pick though. I would like some higher picks to stabilize our Offensive line.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
I don't want to see the growth of Prich and Norwood suffer for Vjax. WR isn't our problem.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
The last thing I want to see is the Hawks overpaying for another team's WR. If they can get him for a 3rd, fine I guess. But no freaking more.

That said, are there no interior pass rushers out there we could get? I'm not talking about Suh. But anyone who could be had on a reasonable trade that could help the woeful D line? I see that as a much bigger need than WR.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
No. Tampa Bay has been shopping him for weeks if you read some reports. I say offer them a 5th rounder at MOST. He is under contract for 2.5 more years. We saved $12.8 million on next year's cap by trading Harvin. If we bring VJax in and keep him next year that costs us $16.0 million (the remainder of this year's salary plus next years). We have way way WAY more important things to address than to spend that kind of cash on an aging WR.

This would be an incredibly irresponsible move in my opinion, even if we do only give up a 5th round pick. If we trade a 3rd for VJax my thoughts on Schneider will start to waiver. I don't want that to happen.

kidhawk

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":3eu41gzl said:
No. Tampa Bay has been shopping him for weeks if you read some reports. I say offer them a 5th rounder at MOST. He is under contract for 2.5 more years. We saved $12.8 million on next year's cap by trading Harvin. If we bring VJax in and keep him next year that costs us $16.0 million (the remainder of this year's salary plus next years). We have way way WAY more important things to address than to spend that kind of cash on an aging WR.

This would be an incredibly irresponsible move in my opinion, even if we do only give up a 5th round pick. If we trade a 3rd for VJax my thoughts on Schneider will start to waiver. I don't want that to happen.

His salary isn't horrible, and he has zero guaranteed dollars. We could restructure his deal and make it more cap friendly by giving a few guarantees but lowering the overall cap hit.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Even a 3rd is too much for Jackson. Dude's 31 and has very average stats this year, below average for him.

I understand he's been on a terrible team, but this is just not a move I'd make. We have a decent WR corp with Richardson and Norwood now playing.

If we're giving up draft picks, go get a D-lineman or TE.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
As interesting as this is.. I'm so wary of the Seahawks trading for a WR now after the Branch and Harvin fleecings.

Go get DL help .. Or even an OT if one were available. Actually think our WR's are solid.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I wouldn't doubt that this is true. John and Pete have already been rumored to talking to Tampa Bay in the Percy deal and they would be remiss if they didn't bring up VJax while they had them on the phone.

I don't see it happening though. And I wouldn't give more than a 5th. He's 31 years old and 3 years in to a 5 year 55 million dollar contract. Too much money, too much chance for injury. There's a lot of miles on that body.

Aren't there some linemen out there we could trade for?

tdlabrie

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2ce19mfs said:
As interesting as this is.. I'm so wary of the Seahawks trading for a WR now after the Branch and Harvin fleecings.

Go get DL help .. Or even an OT if one were available. Actually think our WR's are solid.
Totally agree. WR is just fine, get defensive line help or offensive line help. That's where we really suck.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1mr5pxv7 said:
Isn't this why we drafted Norwood? To be our big target receiver?
Norwood is 6'2" with short arms (32 1/8") and a 33" vertical jump, billed by draftniks as a slot receiver with a knack for getting open and polished route running abilities. You can't compare him to a big outside receiver like Sidney Rice (6'4" with 36" arms and a 40" vertical).

StoneCold

Reaction score
This would make me scratch my head way more the trading PH. We have obvious needs at OL and DL. Why bring an older receiver? Yesterday showed me that with PH gone our WR's are more than up to the task.

SC

Basis4day

Reaction score
StoneCold":3cjfkizy said:
This would make me scratch my head way more the trading PH. We have obvious needs at OL and DL. Why bring an older receiver? Yesterday showed me that with PH gone our WR's are more than up to the task.

SC

Depends how long ago that discussions were initiated. The Harvin thing appears to have been brewing for weeks, prior to the concerns on OL and DL.