Regarding our pass rush...

Laloosh

Reaction score
I know a lot of people are a irritated about the lack of pass rush (well, sacks). Myself included.

That said, I thought I'd go through this game and find out how much time the pass rush is getting to work with (for both teams). So far I've made it through the first half and I've got to say, they didn't have a lot of opportunities. Will see how it looks in the second half but here's what I've seen so far.

STL in first half - 10 drop backs in 4 series with the QB holding the ball for 3 seconds or more on only one occasion. Davis was something like 9/10 at this point with the only inc being due to the DPI. Guys were open early and the pass rush didn't have time to get home.

STL ran the ball well in the first half and when they dropped back, the ball was out quickly, to open receivers (that's on the secondary and LBs, folks).

Series 1:
1 sec - ball out
2 sec - ball out
punt

Series 2:
2 sec - ball out
TD

Series 3:
2 sec - ball out
1 sec - ball out
2 sec - ball out [DPI]
2 sec - ball out
2 sec - ball out
2 sec - ball out
TD

Series 4:
3 sec - ball out
FG

SEA in first half - 20 drop backs in 5 series with the QB holding the ball for 3 seconds or more on 8 occasions. However, 2 of the 3 sacks recorded were in 2 seconds or less. The other after 3 seconds. 2 sacks came inside of the pocket, one outside of the left tackle as Russell began to scramble.

In those 20 drop backs, SEA had 1 drop, 1 pass defensed, 3 poorly thrown balls and 3 thrown away. All thrown away came after 4 or more seconds.

[update] 2nd Half numbers

STL had 13 drop backs (think i missed one somewhere). Of those 13, Davis held the ball for 3 seconds or more on 4 occasions. On two of those occasions, he avoided at least 3 tackles for a sack and made a completion. Two passes were defensed and he had zero bad throws that I saw.

Series 1:
1 sec - ball out (defensed)
punt

Series 2:
2 sec - ball out
2 sec - ball out
1 sec - ball out
3 sec - ball out
punt

Series 3:
2 sec - ball out
3 sec - ball out
5 sec - ball out (2 tackles for sack avoided)
2 sec - ball out
2 sec - ball out (TD)
TD

Series 4:
4 sec - ball out (sack avoided)
2 sec - ball out (defensed)
Fake punt
Bullshit fumble recovery
EOG

More opportunities to get a sack in the second half but guys couldn't bring him down. SEA run defense was much better in the 2nd half which resulted in longer 2nd and 3rd downs.

SEA in the 2nd half was really, really good.

Russell had 23 drop backs that I counted. Of those 23, Russell held the ball for 3 seconds or longer on 9 occasions, scrambling for good yardage on 4 of them, ball was thrown away on 2 of them and on one occasion he overthrew the receiver (would have been huge yardage to Doug up the right sideline but Russell threw it out of bounds). SEA had 1 drop and 1 tipped ball in the 2nd half.

Largent80

Reaction score
San Diego got the ball out fast the whole game. There isn't a pass rush that is going to stop that, so we have seen a steady diet. KJ Wright has been dreadful in his pass coverage. He is in a contract year and isn't playing like it. He is just one out of 11 though.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Im wondering also how much our complete lack of drawing holding penalties is having an effect. is there a way to find out how many holding penalties we have drawn this year? it must be a league low.

pugs1

Reaction score
IMO I think that's the blueprint SD gave everyone. Get the ball out in 2 seconds or less limit risk rendering our pass rush and ability to create turnovers useless. Throw in the injuries and lack of depth we can rotate and that's how this D went from one of the best ever to average at best. Our coaching staff has been slow to adjust.

Largent80

Reaction score
The ball getting out fast is a huge aspect of the fall of our passing defense.

We cannot stop 3rd downs. We got a BIG stop yesterday when we needed it and Pete ignored what happened 2 years ago and had the punt team on, they ran the fake. Game over.

Our defense in the RED ZONE is #31 out of 32 teams.

pugs1

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":35ilyx6f said:
Im wondering also how much our complete lack of drawing holding penalties is having an effect. is there a way to find out how many holding penalties we have drawn this year? it must be a league low.

Agree 100% not getting the benefit of the doubt on calls this year for some reason. I have a hard time believing a one win team committed basically one penalty yesterday.

Latest posts