Take a Laxative

annarborhawk

Reaction score
It's been YEARS since I posted, but I felt compelled to say my peace.

The sky is not falling:

1. We lost two games in a row. Of the last 9 Super Bowl champs (you know going back to that game which shall not be named) 6 championship teams (67%) have had at least a two game losing streak. (three had three game losing streaks, and one had a four game losing streak).

You reply: "But we look BAD, even in some of the wins."

2. I answer: "So what." The fact that we won it all last year clouds our memory. The way I see it, in 5 of last year's wins we looked bad or at least vulnerable. (@carolina, @houston, Tennessee, @St Louis, and Tampa Bay). If you only count the games in which we looked "Good," we were "deserved" to be 8-8. Which is of course ridiculous. It's the rare champion that goes through the whole season looking good in every game.

You say: "But this year we have major flaws - no pass rush, a horrible offensive line, and we traded our best playmaker."

3. I answer: Last year's dominant hawk team clouds our expectations of what it takes to win it all. Let's look at recent previous champs: 2012, Baltimore wins it at 10-6 -- great defense, but no one can say they didn't have flaws. Ditto the 2011, Giants - who were VERY flawed and won it on the back of a quarterback having a break-out playoff run. 2010 - the 10-6 Packers won it - despite having lots of questions on defense and an average running game. Ditto the 2008 steelers, the 2007 Giants, and the (gulp) 2005 Steelers.

My point is I'm reading some hyperbolic overreactions to these first 6 games here. A two game losing streak is not the end of the season by a long shot. I don't want to hear about lucky or ugly wins. They count. They fully count. This league is EXTREMELY competitive, and we had at least 5 ugly wins last season. There is a lot of parity. All teams have flaws. Even the team that ends up winning the Superbowl this year will have flaws. (And when they do, we will forget or discount those flaws).

I am not saying that we will repeat, or even that we will make the playoffs. What I am saying, is that what will happen at the end of this season is not yet written and cannot even be predicted with any degree of certainty based on the first 6 games. What matters is how we play in late November and early December. And we have no idea how that will unfold. if we are hot at the end, we will compete to go deep in the playoffs - if we don't we won't. It'll all depends on how this team grows. The season is a process that we are only a third of the way through. Just sit back and watch it unfold rather than stand on the ledge.

/end rant

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Great first post. It's hard to remember that we were saying a lot of the same things last year after all those ugly games. But we were. Plenty of time to turn this around and get hot.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
annarborhawk":2tmv8lqe said:
It's been YEARS since I posted, but I felt compelled to say my peace.

The sky is not falling:

1. We lost two games in a row. Of the last 9 Super Bowl champs (you know going back to that game which shall not be named) 6 championship teams (67%) have had at least a two game losing streak. (three had three game losing streaks, and one had a four game losing streak).

You reply: "But we look BAD, even in some of the wins."

2. I answer: "So what." The fact that we won it all last year clouds our memory. The way I see it, in 5 of last year's wins we looked bad or at least vulnerable. (@carolina, @houston, Tennessee, @St Louis, and Tampa Bay). If you only count the games in which we looked "Good," we were "deserved" to be 8-8. Which is of course ridiculous. It's the rare champion that goes through the whole season looking good in every game.

You say: "But this year we have major flaws - no pass rush, a horrible offensive line, and we traded our best playmaker."

3. I answer: Last year's dominant hawk team clouds our expectations of what it takes to win it all. Let's look at recent previous champs: 2012, Baltimore wins it at 10-6 -- great defense, but no one can say they didn't have flaws. Ditto the 2011, Giants - who were VERY flawed and won it on the back of a quarterback having a break-out playoff run. 2010 - the 10-6 Packers won it - despite having lots of questions on defense and an average running game. Ditto the 2008 steelers, the 2007 Giants, and the (gulp) 2005 Steelers.

My point is I'm reading some hyperbolic overreactions to these first 6 games here. A two game losing streak is not the end of the season by a long shot. I don't want to hear about lucky or ugly wins. They count. They fully count. This league is EXTREMELY competitive, and we had at least 5 ugly wins last season. There is a lot of parity. All teams have flaws. Even the team that ends up winning the Superbowl this year will have flaws. (And when they do, we will forget or discount those flaws).

I am not saying that we will repeat, or even that we will make the playoffs. What I am saying, is that what will happen at the end of this season is not yet written and cannot even be predicted with any degree of certainty based on the first 6 games. What matters is how we play in late November and early December. And we have no idea how that will unfold. if we are hot at the end, we will compete to go deep in the playoffs - if we don't we won't. It'll all depends on how this team grows. The season is a process that we are only a third of the way through. Just sit back and watch it unfold rather than stand on the ledge.

/end rant

All good points....but why a laxative? Will explosive diarrhea help our outlook on the hawks?

8)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
So, if I don't agree with the OP, am I full of shit?

kidhawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":zze2arfp said:
So, if I don't agree with the OP, am I full of shit?

If we're being literal, then aren't we all to some extent? I mean seriously, constipation sucks.

Honestly, I can see both sides. It's hard watching a team you KNOW is better than what they are showing, flail like this week after week. Except for the Green Bay game and parts of the Broncos game, we haven't looked good. I also see how close this team is to being 5-1 instead of 3-3 too. This team can turn it around, but losing isn't fun for anyone, especially after the extreme emotional high we were all on from last season.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Honestly, its not hard to remain optimistic... even in losing.

1) Seahawks already won the Super Bowl... so its not like its boom or bust.

2) If the Seahawks do make it the Play-Offs... they are as dangerous of a team in the post-season despite the record that got them there. .

3) If the Seahawks don't make the Play-Offs... then they are that much closer in trading up for a future LOT without giving up the whole farm.

OP
OP
A

annarborhawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":37rmughq said:
All good points....but why a laxative? Will explosive diarrhea help our outlook on the hawks?

8)

Take a laxative = as in don't be uptight (plugged up 8) ). And a play on relax.

Ok dumb joke.

sutz

Reaction score
IIRC, we were the first #1 seed to win the SB in a few years. Someone can check that, I don't care to. Obviously, we want to be the highest seed possible, but after 2012 I'm not as afraid of going on the road in the playoffs if necessary.

A LOT of the old bugaboos that have haunted the Seahawks have passed by the wayside.

Having said all that, I still have strong hope for a Div Championship and/or a high seeding in the playoffs. As long as we're not too many games back at Thanksgiving, we're still in the playoff hunt.

AgentDib

Reaction score
It's really about expectations, it's hard not to be disappointed in a slow start given the hype the last couple of years and it takes a little while to readjust things downwards and adapt to the Harvin fiasco and lack of contribution from many of our recent draft picks.

The bright side is that a 44% chance of making the playoffs after week 7 really doesn't sound that bad if you've been following the NFL very long. We've only finished the season with 10 or more wins seven times in thirty nine seasons and one of those times in the Knox era that wasn't enough for a berth despite a very strong point differential.

We are favored by 3 points this week in Carolina and then we have two home games (OAK, NYG) that we will be favored in as well. The Cards on the other hand have to play Philly, @Cowboys, and the Rams. I think it is very plausible that we could pick up at least one game on them and enter Week 11 being tied for the division lead or at most one game back.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
annarborhawk":aury23c6 said:
Hawkpower":aury23c6 said:

8)

Take a laxative = as in don't be uptight (plugged up 8) ). And a play on relax.

Ok dumb joke.

No I like it! Just was hoping it was a super secret solution to our "woes" :D

Polk738

Reaction score
OP is right besides the lackluster performance by the special teams that happens once in a blue moon, did anyone notice how we were actually moving the ball downfield for once? Wilson had over 300 yards passing, over 100 yards rushing, an someone FINALLY had over 100 receiving yards!

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
Good stuff OP. Thanks for your thoughts.

A 16 game season has its ups and downs. We are 1 of 32: not the best, not the worst. But we're still in the hunt. And with the issues we've had and continue to have, the FO is STILL committed to making decisions to keep us in the hunt. That's better than many teams.

Last year has clouded the memories of some (including me at times). New year, new team, new challenges. I actually like seeing adversity and how this team reacts to it. That's part of what makes us who we are.
And you can never again deny that we are not in the national conversation (unlike a couple of times in the past....cough, cough).

Go Hawks!

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Following the title's advice appears to be immediately followed by regret of following the title's advice...

rjdriver

Reaction score
Great post.

Remember, we have played only one divisional opponent to date. We can accrue a lot of wins while imposing a lot of losses in the division. This division is up for grabs, and will be for a long time.

HawkWow

Reaction score
A more impactful ending might have read:

"....and injuries be damned! We will win with the Seagals if we have to, because by golly pilgrims, WE. WILL. WIN.".

But I'm a John Wayne fan.

Largent80

Reaction score
2 of our losses are to good teams. It seems like whatever QB we face has a career day.

Were getting everyone's best shot. It's football and injuries happen. Last year we had enough depth to weather the storm.

I do feel however, that we must win this Sunday or the hole may be too deep to dig out of.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
The sky may not be falling but our playoff chances are less than 50% and our prospects of a first doing bye and any home field advantage are greatly diminished with two consecutive losses, one at home and the other against a nearly winless division opponent. Add in the harvin fiasco and numerous injuries and things are not ideal.

I appreciate the optimism but fact of the matter is that if we can't win 4 of our next 5 games while injured and revamping our offensive approach minus harvin, we are going to have a statistically difficult chance of making the playoffs. That's a fact and not any kind of "full of crap" or "Debbie downer" nonsense. Its reality.

Largent80

Reaction score
We need to treat every game like a championship. Pete said we are using the same model as last year, and if that is the case then it is just win the game in front of you.

These guys on the d-line need to do a much better job of protecting our db's.

The o-line, same thing, except it is the qb needing help.

No excuses.

Latest posts