No mentioning this article? WSJ on why the Hawks not winning

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
"This wouldn’t have happened in 2013, when there was no such thing as a tired Seahawks defense."

or just a Seahawks defense

Jville

Reaction score
With all due respect, It looks like a repackage article and recap for those outside the Seahawk fan base. Nothing really new there for 12s.

What might be relevant to 12s is the question of whether reloading a rotation of 7 or 8 linemen every year is a reliable approach. It took until mid season for a that rotation to emerge as a force last year. This year does not look as promising IMO. Looks to me like they will have to supplement their rush with backs .... zone blitz anyone? I have my doubts that heavy turnover, reloading and integration of a rotation of linemen will prove to be a viable model over the long run. Especially with the premium NFL teams place on pass rushers.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":b17sbcsa said:
http://online.wsj.com/articles/the-seattle-seahawks-big-problem-1413909012

We all had to have seen it.

No comments on it?

Its certainly a possibility. The percentages of plays played is certainly an eye opener.

On the other hand, we are a play or call or two away from being 5-1.

Last year, we were a play or two here and there away from being 10-6.

NFL football as we know is a fine line between great and not. Sometimes when a few things dont go your way like they did last year, we start seeeeearrrrrrrchiiiiiiing for answers.

some are valid. some are space fillers on an internet page.

Not sure where I put this one. Yet.

Erebus

Reaction score
I think he's absolutely right. The lack of defensive line depth has cost us two games already.

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Well I think this ties in with the stat dropoff.

The #s I saw recently tweeted were the Seahawks were the 4th worst in Red Zone defense by % of time points allowed and 2nd worst in the league in giving up TDs in the redzone.

Last year, opposing offenses stood a very real % shot at having a turnover in the RZ, then most likely a FG. (Remember last year 1 of 4 opposing possessions ended with a turnover...a stunning #)

This year, inside the RZ we give up TDs at an alarming pace.

Some of this is the lack of pass rush, some the rule changes resulting in looser coverage. But clearly the very things the Seahawks did to win last year are not only not strengths, but weaknesses. Both in causing turnovers and preventing TDs.

Jville

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2wuvc6ni said:
Well I think this ties in with the stat dropoff.

The #s I saw recently tweeted were the Seahawks were the 4th worst in Red Zone defense by % of time points allowed and 2nd worst in the league in giving up TDs in the redzone.

Last year, opposing offenses stood a very real % shot at having a turnover in the RZ, then most likely a FG. (Remember last year 1 of 4 opposing possessions ended with a turnover...a stunning #)

This year, inside the RZ we give up TDs at an alarming pace.

Some of this is the lack of pass rush, some the rule changes resulting in looser coverage. But clearly the very things the Seahawks did to win last year are not only not strengths, but weaknesses. Both in causing turnovers and preventing TDs.

Lets remember that defensive linemen are seeing more flags for defensive holding and hands to the face as well. That emphasis has impacted pass rushes league wide.

lukerguy

Reaction score
100% correct. I've been saying it for weeks.

Last year we had a pretty amazing set up.. Clem, Mebane, Bennett (inside), bryant earlier downs. Clem, Bennett, Bryant all capable of setting the edge against the run. Then Avril, Bennett, McDonald and Clem on passing downs with two of them being completely fresh.

I expect them to move Irvin back to DE this week on passing downs. I hope they move Avril out and go jumbo early down rotation with Bennett, Mebane, Mcdaniel and Williams on early downs, then Hill, Avril, bennett, irvin on passing downs.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Hawk fans already knew that losing Clem, Red and McDonald would hurt depth, how could it not? The problem we are having across the board is that we don't have many contributions on field at the moment from our last two drafts.

McGruff

Reaction score
Jville":1dlorag7 said:
With all due respect, It looks like a repackage article and recap for those outside the Seahawk fan base. Nothing really new there for 12s.

What might be relevant to 12s is the question of whether reloading a rotation of 7 or 8 linemen every year is a reliable approach. It took until mid season for a that rotation to emerge as a force last year. This year does not look as promising IMO. Looks to me like they will have to supplement their rush with backs .... zone blitz anyone? I have my doubts that heavy turnover, reloading and integration of a rotation of linemen will prove to be a viable model over the long run. Especially with the premium NFL teams place on pass rushers.
I think it's still a viable approach when healthy. Hill and Marsh had been playing well as our 6 and 7 linemen, but when they went down we really suffered.

pehawk

Reaction score
McGruff":fm7vl9su said:
Jville":fm7vl9su said:

I think it's still a viable approach when healthy. Hill and Marsh had been playing well as our 6 and 7 linemen, but when they went down we really suffered.

Agreed. They've been snakebit at that position. William's injury also threw a wrench into things.