Good read on Seahawks over at Cold Hard Football Facts.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/co ... one/31712/

Let's be real. Much of this comes down to opponent strength. The Seahawks faced each of the top four teams in RPYPA (Denver, San Diego, Washington and Dallas). They faced each of the top four teams in both QBR and OPR as well (Denver, San Diego, Green Bay and Dallas). Seattle went 3-2 in those games, including two standout performances from the pass defense.

However, the unit has its serious issues. Here's what they can do to help become well:

Chawks1

Reaction score
Still doesn't explain what happened in St. Louis. None of that applies to the Rams.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Chawks1":y679xwrt said:
Still doesn't explain what happened in St. Louis. None of that applies to the Rams.

I think having an injured Okung playing, Injured Kam playing, No Unger, No Coleman/True Fullback, No Wagner, No Lane, No Maxwell, No Miller, No Willson, and Simon getting injured in game had a lot to do with losing to the Rams by 2 points.

There is only so much you can overcome and we were still able to put up 26 points.

Polaris

Reaction score
Chawks1":2uy5ujdd said:

Let's be honest though. We always struggle more against the Rams since Fischer became coach than you'd think we would. That was true last year as well where we eeked out a 12-9 win IIRC after being completely outplayed most of the game...and had to defend it to the very last play (literally).

byau

Reaction score
Chawks1":1w91i5ev said:

Unless you think of it as a season, not just individual games. Cumulative effect could be injuries or what not.

Like committing to the run, you may not get yardage at first, but you beat down the opposing D and then things open up later in the game.

Maybe the Seahawks are getting beat down physically facing the top teams: injuries, etc could be taking a toll.

Not just physically either, to me could be mentally exhausting - maybe that's why you can't see the killer instinct anymore

AgentDib

Reaction score
The Rams game was dominated by the trick plays and special teams. Davis was efficient but it was all short stuff and our run defense was excellent besides that one long run, holding Mason to 3.3 YPC on the other 17 carries. If you replay that game 10 times the Hawks probably win 8, we just saw one of the poor outcomes where they took a bunch of risks that all worked and got a few bounces in their direction.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Polaris":3ot594jd said:
Chawks1":3ot594jd said:

Let's be honest though. We always struggle more against the Rams since Fischer became coach than you'd think we would. That was true last year as well where we eeked out a 12-9 win IIRC after being completely outplayed most of the game...and had to defend it to the very last play (literally).

That is because Fishman spends all his time scheming and planning his trickeration for us rather than getting ready for other opponents as evidenced by their record. We are their superbowl every year. :stirthepot:

Chawks1

Reaction score
oregonhawkfan":39p3yxcn said:
Polaris":39p3yxcn said:
Chawks1":39p3yxcn said:

That is because Fishman spends all his time scheming and planning his trickeration for us rather than getting ready for other opponents as evidenced by their record. We are their superbowl every year. :stirthepot:

We are everyone's Super Bowl this year. Everyone from fans, coaches and players knew everyone would be gunning for us. And we all know Fischers gonna bring the trick plays. Neither of those are excuses. Players and coaches need to be ready for those things. And hiding behind injuries won't work either since the Rams are on their 3rd QB (who had a 132.3 passer rating), Zach Stacy didnt play, and Chris Long one of their top DE is out.

The OP is referencing the article which blames our lack of success in large part to Strength of Schedule. the Rams do not fall into that catagory. Carolina will show the real resiliancy of this team.

chris98251

Reaction score
Green Bay - Tried to run and deep

San Diego - Dink and Dunk with a mix of run then strikes to Gates

Denver - Dink and Dunk to open up strikes

Washington - We dominated

Cowboys - Run game and Dink and Dunk

Rams - Dink and Dunk with a Mix of run

What I am saying everyone is doing Dink and Dunk, it's what we give them, bend but don't break and get turnovers, we just have no turnovers.

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Chawks1":25ot274b said:
The OP is referencing the article which blames our lack of success in large part to Strength of Schedule. the Rams do not fall into that catagory. Carolina will show the real resiliancy of this team.
No, you're trying to boil down the entire article into a single point.

This is what they have to say about the Rams specifically:

6. Loss 28-26 at St. Louis Rams (29th in the QSPR)
Opponent's strength: 6.44 RPYPA, 80.79 QBR, 91.78 OPR
Seattle's results: 7.73 DRPYPA, 122.83 DQBR, 129.17 DPR
It can be argued that two fluke special teams plays and an apparent Richard Sherman fumble recovery never awarded by the refs cost Seattle a win in this game. Then again, given the Rams' numbers in the previous performance, this game never should've been a problem. The offense did its part, especially Russell Wilson, as the quarterback became the first player to pass for 300+ yards and rush for 100+ yards in a game. However, the pass defense was undone by the likes of Austin Davis. Sure, the undrafted quarterback has thus far performed admirably, but he only made his fifth start. That's when great defenses made him look uncomfortable and inefficient! If there's any sign that this defense isn't well, this has to be it.

What I highlighted is also one of the article's points. That yes, the team has had the toughest schedule in the NFL so far, that's truth. But that even against the Rams and Cousins, the defense looks suspect.

The article has more depth and isn't as simple as you contend.

sturg78

Reaction score
I hate the offenses teams are employing against us. Dump passes left and right. QBs complete 15-16 passes for 70 yards, clock gets chewed up, no opportunity for ints or sacks. It is a great gameplan considering our LBs suck at covering this year. I would guess the fix would be to have Kam roving the middle but he has been a step behind.

I think we should go back to pressing at the line and having 4 lbs and ss clogging the middle. Press holds the route long enough for Avrils mad dash up field move to pressure the qb into throwing into the minefield in the middle or a wobble deep to earl, Sherman, or Maxwell.

There I solved it....you're welcome.

byau

Reaction score
sturg78":3l0t347j said:
I hate the offenses teams are employing against us. Dump passes left and right. QBs complete 15-16 passes for 70 yards, clock gets chewed up, no opportunity for ints or sacks. It is a great gameplan considering our LBs suck at covering this year. I would guess the fix would be to have Kam roving the middle but he has been a step behind.

I think we should go back to pressing at the line and having 4 lbs and ss clogging the middle. Press holds the route long enough for Avrils mad dash up field move to pressure the qb into throwing into the minefield in the middle or a wobble deep to earl, Sherman, or Maxwell.

Definitely, everyone doing dink and dunk, taking a page from the Chargers. And our D has not adjusted yet.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
sturg78":3hyz0twl said:

Sherm did it finally vs. the Lambs and had no PI penalties. Guessing they're moving back to that technique, or at least closer because they know it's part of their best chance to get better on pass D.