ESPN 30 for 30 10/28: Brian and the Boz

pehawk

Reaction score
I for one will be watching. Was a fan of his marketing and overall resonance in the culture of professional sports. He was the original Richard Sherman, he came before them all.

I hope now that Boz is back in the spotlight he gets to raise the flag. It'd be a cool gesture.

XOXO

Tony Woods

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
pehawk":1lt459rg said:
I for one will be watching. Was a fan of his marketing and overall resonance in the culture of professional sports. He was the original Richard Sherman, he came before them all.

I hope now that Boz is back in the spotlight he gets to raise the flag. It'd be a cool gesture.

XOXO

Tony Woods
A better player than he was that one night vs. Bo, a night most people base their NFL opinion of him on.

Dave Wyman

pugs1

Reaction score
He was on First Take today and seems to be doing well. I was a fan then and now and have spent many hours arguing that he does not belong on that Top 10 bust list.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
That play against Bo is one of the most overblown moments in sports history.

byau

Reaction score
Awesome.

On my last trip home visiting my parents who still live in Kent, I was rummaging through a closet and found my copy of "The Boz"

And that play with Bo...overblown? Maybe...

For me and my brother, all the hype surrounding Boz was incredible. My brother and I were jumping up and down when the Hawks got Boz.

And the hype up of Boz meets Bo ... (and I need to add my brother and I were huge wrestling fans, regular watchers of Georgia Championship Wrestling) ..we were so psyched. Boz was proclaiming he was going to shut Bo down.

And for Bo to just blow right through him on that touchdown run. It was like Boz was right there waiting for him like out of a movie and Bo just ran right through him.

I remember watching it when I was a kid and my jaw just dropped. We were all so sure Boz was going to slam him down Buzz Sawyer style and Boz got RUN OVER.

Crushed my little Boz heart.

And yes in my fuzzy memory, that seems to be the only memory I have of Brian Bosworth playing days, so it is what it is and that's who I identify him as too.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Have you seen that play recently? He did not get ran over. It was a broken tackle...nothing really special about it.

byau

Reaction score
Seanhawk":3l8wpas2 said:
Have you seen that play recently? He did not get ran over. It was a broken tackle...nothing really special about it.

No I haven't seen that play, last time I saw it was live. Yes admittedly I'm just going by what my young self remembers seeing.

It will be interesting to see the play now and see what the difference is, though I'm wondering if I should just leave it to my boyhood rememberance

I did see the Largent/Harden play again many years later, that definitely lived up to what I remember :)

seabowl

Reaction score
Seanhawk":387q7e6k said:

Actually it wasn't a broken tackle. He made the tackle but people were expecting him to blow Bo up and nobody was doing that. If that play were not at the goal line and somewhere else on the field it would probably have never been mentioned since Brian MADE the tackle.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
seabowl":2iwo7yct said:
Seanhawk":2iwo7yct said:

Actually it wasn't a broken tackle. He made the tackle but people were expecting him to blow Bo up and nobody was doing that. If that play were not at the goal line and somewhere else on the field it would probably have never been mentioned since Brian MADE the tackle.

Good point.

Hendo66

Reaction score
Through the years it seems the ones who say Bo ran over Boz are definitely haters.
Who else would've been able to stop Bo running full speed?
His pro career was a disappointment for sure but his NCAA was simply badass.

grizbob

Reaction score
Tanks for the heads up Ryan, DVR set. :thirishdrinkers: :th2thumbs:

2_0_6

Reaction score
My first ever Seahawk game I remember just walking in the gate at the Kingdome and seeing this huge crowd of people and tons of camera flashes coming my way.

As they got closer I saw him in the mix of people and he stopped and answered a few questions. After a couple minutes he turned to keep walking towards the locker room and walked up to my Uncle who was wearing an OU shirt, shook his hand, gave me a high five & a signed card and kept walking.

From that day on I became a die hard Hawks fan.

Rainger

Reaction score
Anybody who really believes the Boz was a bust are either young and/or only go by a media memory, or haters of his style.

It is true the Boz career was way too short due to injuries, but while playing he was a good LB. He was undersized, but he never lacked for desire or not bringing it on almost every play.

I can assure you the Seahawks have had over 1000 busts in their existence worse than the Boz. Aaron Curry any one?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
If Bo would've devoted himself only to football (he liked baseball better) and stayed healthy (a BIG "if"), to my eyes he would be considered the greatest RB of all-time. That's saying something because I saw Jimmy Brown play. He had the power of Brown and even more speed. And Brown was anything but slow.

As for that play, Bo broke the tackle and it certainly wasn't the only one he broke that year.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":a1exczm8 said:
If Bo would've devoted himself only to football (he liked baseball better) and stayed healthy (a BIG "if"), to my eyes he would be considered the greatest RB of all-time. That's saying something because I saw Jimmy Brown play. He had the power of Brown and even more speed. And Brown was anything but slow.

As for that play, Bo broke the tackle and it certainly wasn't the only one he broke that year.

No doubt. Bo was my Jim Brown, a RB that made his opposition look like 9yo's.

seahawksny

Reaction score
I was an 11 year old Hawk Fan and we went with my Day Camp to go greet him as he got off the plane.
Hundreds of Hawk fans young and old. The days before 9/11 where we could go to terminals without a ticket.
He got off the plane and place went ballistic. cameras flashing everywhere. I got my pic in the PI. was amazing.

I agree with many posters. He was the hype before hype was popular.

He coined Elway officially as "Mr Ed. " Remember that one?

Ill never forget the first time he knocked Elway down in Denver ( a game which we lost) so we were looking for any positive outcomes in the nightmare we know as Mile High. Dick Enberg said something like....."thats an 11 million dollar connection" which was the combined money between the two contracts. A LOT OF MONEY back then.

Too bad steroids and injuries derailed career, but it put Seattle on map.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2jsgks7s said:

Sorry, no broken tackle........unless you mean Bo broke Boz's tackle on the way into the endzone.

Tumblr mx3mn7Chg31retk9go1 400

seahawksny

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3v5bji8r said:
Seanhawk":3v5bji8r said:

Sorry, no broken tackle........unless you mean Bo broke Boz's tackle on the way into the endzone.

Tumblr mx3mn7Chg31retk9go1 400

Forget the tackle for a second. Check out the block that Marcus Allen lays on the LB. I cant tell who it is but looks like 53 maybe? that would mean its Keith Butler.

I dont care who is running the ball. The RB WILL score when the LB is knocked into the middle of next week like he was on that play