Turbin at fullback for now

rjdriver

Reaction score
King Dog":2l6cmc00 said:
Turbin says he’s up for the job.

“Absolutely,” Turbin said. “I just want to win. I want to help the team as much as I can. I’m a team guy. If they need me to take on the role for the next few weeks or whatever the case may be, than sure.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... k-for-now/

That's exactly the attitude this team needs in spades right now. I know people are down on Turbin. I understand he's not Beast, no one is, but he could be very important to this team for the next few weeks. I'm admittedly a homer being an Aggie, but he's had a lot of big runs called back on holding and since that huge drop in SFO, he's had decent hands. I understand and concur at times with the criticism he gets, but I really feel he will be a difference maker in the next few weeks.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Good attitude...I like it. He looked pretty good out there as a lead blocker for Shawn

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I think it's a great move for the team. Turbin is already solid at catching the ball out of the backfield and pass blocking. Now he just needs to refine his run blocking, and maybe add some strength to his lower body. I'm excited to watch him develop here.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I'm happy with this.

For being a FB for the first time in his life, Turbin looked natural.

His naturally agressive north-south running style is perfect for lead blocking and he has enough speed to beat the fastest DBs to the edge and enough bulk/leverage/strength to negate the biggest LBers.

It also gives Michael more opportunity to be the change of pace back behind Lynch.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Love the move.

He can sneak into the flat realy well, and has the hands to make to catch. I like him in open space, he could be a nice secret weapon to keep teams honest.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Is everyone ready for Michael? Love or hate we will have something to talk about over the next couple of weeks. He is going to get his carries spelling Lynch. I think he shines and looking forward to watching it unfold.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
I am fine with this. Clearly, we were not interested in the traditional FB type or we would have kept Kiero Small over Coleman. Don't get me wrong, I like Coleman well enough as well but I think Small was the better "hammer" that FB's used to be. The league as a whole has been doing away with the FB position for a long time and it seems to me this FO prefers more of the hybrid HB/FB player at that position anyway.

The "hammer" FB is only really missed in short yardage/goal line situations with a proper ran ZBS anyway and we can always go with the extra OL as TE in the heavy pkg. When you have the beast, DL should be blocked by OL and back side DL cut by OL leaving 2nd level players to be blocked by the FB (ie. LB, CB, S).

I agree, will be very interesting see the work Michael gets now.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
He has the biceps for it...now I hope he also has the legs. I'm really happy he's stepping up, though. Our roster has too many guys who can't play for a few weeks, and signing another fullback would mean we have to release someone to make room. We really are thin right now, so his versatility is really essential right now.

Right now.

I keep hearing that everything will be better once we get a lot of guys back, but it's essential we weather the current storm so we can make a strong run in the second half of the season. We need a few wins in the right way.

And who knows? He seems to be an average/mediocre RB, but maybe he'll turn out to be a stellar FB.

kidhawk

Reaction score
MysterMatt":32wnbbhp said:
He has the biceps for it...now I hope he also has the legs. I'm really happy he's stepping up, though. Our roster has too many guys who can't play for a few weeks, and signing another fullback would mean we have to release someone to make room. We really are thin right now, so his versatility is really essential right now.

Right now.

I keep hearing that everything will be better once we get a lot of guys back, but it's essential we weather the current storm so we can make a strong run in the second half of the season. We need a few wins in the right way.

And who knows? He seems to be an average/mediocre RB, but maybe he'll turn out to be a stellar FB.

I would guess that we wouldn't release anyone. If they found a FB they thought could handle the load, they'd probably just IR Coleman to free up the space. That is what they ended up doing with Marsh, and Pete said their injuries were similar. I don't think either of them need to miss the entire season, but roster space is at a premium right now.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
You just have to admire this guy. He is quietly morphing into an Mrob 2.0 type of calming influence in the backfield. He is never going to set the world on fire with his running, it is just not his strength. He has great hands, knows how to block and has the upper body strength and quickness to do so. He is a great team player and dont forget he is RW's room mate. Hope Cmike is taking note.

pehawk

Reaction score
I think this a great move. A move chalk full of intrigue as well.

Not only will this open up time for Michael, which I believe we're all excited to see, but it gives Cable/Bevell some additional plays, IMO.

What I really, really dug about Cable's Raiders were the out-of-the-box ideas at FB. It was Cable's Raiders that took a chubby , positionless, athlete from UDub and made him a FB. Putting Marcel Reese at FB really opened things up for McFadden and the running game, in general. The threat of Reese's athleticism in the flat gave opposing defenses one more thing they HAD to defend/respect. It also gave the Raiders offense a very Saturday feel, which I know Bevell and Pete love.

Will they try and emulate some of those 2010 Raiders characteristics? I'm not sure.

Cable has certainly been trying to recapture a Reese type athlete here in Seattle. But, just like the Seahawks offense w/Percy, that offense ran very hot and cold. It's certainly interesting though.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Good post. Gives us a little more versatility out of the conventional set. I'm sure I'm seeing this through blue goggles but I think this helps with production from the running game. More Michael(explosive element), extra receiving threat out of the backfield(turbin) to help with the line issues and all of it should help Wilson. I'm bored at work.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I would like to see Turbin continue at Fullback for now, I think this gives us the best options moving forward, but Turbin giving the "team guy" answer to a reporter's question, doesn't necessarily mean he'll be out there. I would hope that he is, but Pete was very coy about not answering this specifically during his presser when he told the gallery of reporters they'd have to "wait and see"

OP
OP
K

King Dog

Reaction score
I think I'm with the majority here. It would be cool if Turbin suprised and was a good fit af FB long term. I'm not holding my breath, but not many FB's out there running a 4.4 and as agile as Turbin.