Fanbase Research Project; Everyone please chime in!

PantherPride95

Reaction score
I'm conducting a research project for my college writing class where I have to collect raw data and then piece it together in order to show a correlation with "identity." Each class member was able to choose any subject that related to how people identify themselves or how identities are shaped through associations, places, life events, etc. The topic I chose was how Americans identify with professional football teams.

The purpose of this post is to ask you all to answer some or all of the questions below so that I can gather some generalized information to use in this paper. Any answers given may be used in my paper along with your forum name. If you do not wish for your answers to be public, please message me privately so I can still use your data while keeping you anonymous.

You do not have to answer all of them if you don't want to, but the more the better.
Questions:

*Where do you live? NC, VA, CA etc.*

1. Who is your favorite NFL team? What made you become a fan? Were you ever a fan of another team?

2. What is your favorite thing about your favorite team?

3. Has there been a time you've gone against your team for morality reasons? Explain. (i.e. situations like Greg Hardy, Ray Rice, Bounty Gate)

4. What would you like to change about your team (besides players/coaches/owners etc)?

5. What kind of fan are you? Hardcore/Diehard/Fair Weather/Bandwagon etc. What are the differences in these types of fans?

6. Who is your favorite football player? What makes him your favorite? How does this impact what team you root for?

7. Why do you think Americans are so interested in football?

8. Does your teams performance ever effect your personal life? If so, how?

----------------------------------

On the questions you choose to answer, please elaborate as much as you can.

Once the project is finished, I will post a link to it so you all can view the final result. Thank you all for the help.

idahawks

Reaction score
PantherPride95":3ndhjlov said:
I'm conducting a research project for my college writing class where I have to collect raw data and then piece it together in order to show a correlation with "identity." Each class member was able to choose any subject that related to how people identify themselves or how identities are shaped through associations, places, life events, etc. The topic I chose was how Americans identify with professional football teams.

The purpose of this post is to ask you all to answer some or all of the questions below so that I can gather some generalized information to use in this paper. Any answers given may be used in my paper along with your forum name. If you do not wish for your answers to be public, please message me privately so I can still use your data while keeping you anonymous.

You do not have to answer all of them if you don't want to, but the more the better.
Questions:

*Where do you live? NC, VA, CA etc.* Idaho

1. Who is your favorite NFL team? What made you become a fan? Were you ever a fan of another team? Seahawks, probably because they were televised a lot in the early 80's in my area and were a big underdog that was successful.

2. What is your favorite thing about your favorite team? Everyone else hates them and they get no respect.

3. Has there been a time you've gone against your team for morality reasons? Explain. (i.e. situations like Greg Hardy, Ray Rice, Bounty Gate) No never

4. What would you like to change about your team (besides players/coaches/owners etc)? Nothing, maybe they should wear retro 80's uniforms when they play afc west teams

5. What kind of fan are you? Hardcore/Diehard/Fair Weather/Bandwagon etc. What are the differences in these types of fans? Diehard

6. Who is your favorite football player? What makes him your favorite? How does this impact what team you root for? Steve Largent no explanation necessary

7. Why do you think Americans are so interested in football? 1. its violent. 2. There is a lot of strategy involved in FB more so than other sports, time on the clock, down and position on the field greatly impact the play and possible outcome. There's 2 pt conversions, on sides kicks, fake field goals etc. not so much of that in other professional sports.

8. Does your teams performance ever effect your personal life? If so, how? I may be grumpy for a couple hrs after a loss other than that no.

Once the project is finished, I will post a link to it so you all can view the final result. Thank you all for the help.

A

Anonymous

Attention .NET'ers,

If you wish to respond in the spirit of assisting this individual, please do so, while taking full advantage of the offer to confine your answers to a Private Message if you wish.

If you do not wish to assist, please do NOT post comments at all.

Especially comments of a scoffing, nose-to-the-air, BS-response like the ones I have already been forced to remove.

12's are better than that, and if we can't be nice to opposing teams fans who are making kind requests of us, than perhaps we need to take a break from the board to assess ourselves. There is no need to give this individual a hard time.

Thanks,
HH :thcoffee:

tacomahawk

Reaction score
1. Tacoma Washington
2. They are ours. Lately though, I love the fact that they are a bunch of misfits that nobody wanted that play with chips on their shoulders.
3. No
4. Nothing currently that isn't Player/Coach performance related
5. Hardcore
6. Currently Russell Wilson, but always have a favorite from past eras. Favorite all time Cortez Kennedy.
7. It brings friends and family together, and we can all forget the outside world for a while.
8. I am upset for a few days, but I used to be much much worse.

kaygojinghi

Reaction score
*Where do you live? NC, VA, CA etc.* *Where do you live? NC, VA, CA etc.* VA

1. Who is your favorite NFL team? What made you become a fan? Were you ever a fan of another team? Seahawks, Yes, 49ers before Seahawks existed.

2. What is your favorite thing about your favorite team? Toughness.

3. Has there been a time you've gone against your team for morality reasons? Explain. (i.e. situations like Greg Hardy, Ray Rice, Bounty Gate) No.

4. What would you like to change about your team (besides players/coaches/owners etc)? Better looking cheerleaders.

5. What kind of fan are you? Hardcore/Diehard/Fair Weather/Bandwagon etc. What are the differences in these types of fans? Hardcore. Hardcore and Diehard live for the team no matter the record. The others disappear when the record is bad.

6. Who is your favorite football player? What makes him your favorite? How does this impact what team you root for? Kam Chancellor because he impacts the game.

7. Why do you think Americans are so interested in football? We play it as youngsters and the love for the game is developed then.

8. Does your teams performance ever effect your personal life? If so, how? No.

Sac

Reaction score
PantherPride95 said:
Sacramento, California

1. Who is your favorite NFL team? What made you become a fan? Were you ever a fan of another team?

Seattle Seahawks. I grew up around the Seattle area, and am a Hawks fan like my father and his father. I've never been a fan of another team.

Always liked being the underdog, that is changing. We're not the underdog anymore. And Russell Wilson is a revelation at QB.

3. Has there been a time you've gone against your team for morality reasons? Explain. (i.e. situations like Greg Hardy, Ray Rice, Bounty Gate)

No.

4. What would you like to change about your team (besides players/coaches/owners etc)?

Nothing

5. What kind of fan are you? Hardcore/Diehard/Fair Weather/Bandwagon etc. What are the differences in these types of fans?

I bleed blue and green. Fair weather/band wagon fans only like a team when they're winning.

6. Who is your favorite football player? What makes him your favorite? How does this impact what team you root for?

#3 - Wilson constantly does things, amazing things that seem impossible. Many of which have never been done before.

Violence, and a battle/gladiator mentality. We glorify that stuff in this country.

Only my blood pressure, at times. And the occasional 3oner.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Questions:

I live in Washington State
1)Seahawks, our 1st MNF game made me a fan. Great surprise plays and an OT victory against the Falcons, Not really a fan of another team but enjoyed watching Montana, Earl Campbell, Walter Payton, ect.
2), 1st is winning the Lombardi, but there is great community support and awareness of the team. You can talk Seahawks, good or bad, with just about everyone in the PNW.
3) No, but disappointed in the Adderal issues we had and whenever any of our guys is in the paper for the wrong reason.
4) Our history, which isn't that good but it is improving and the team is creating positive history as we speak.
5) Not sure the diff between hardcore or diehard but I would guess I am a diehard. Staunch fan since `78, STH since `87.
Hardcore=Team sleeping gear ie... PJ's, sheets, pillows, attends every team event game or not, might not ever wash a team Jersey due to superstition. Can orate teams about 3rd round pick from `98 draft ect.
Diehard=Long term fan, knows team history, attends games or plans home event for every game.
Fair Weather=Tunes into team happenings only when the team is somewhat successful (2014 Mariners)
Bandwagoner=Know little of the team or it's history, staff ect but team is winning and are along for the ride.
6)Probably Russell Wilson is my fav. Boring pick but we have had a HOF WR, LT, DT and some great RB's and FB's. Hass was a solid QB, but RW is the 1st franchise QB we have had. RW impacts the Seahawks by doing some spectacular plays in trying to win the game for us.
7) I used to enjoy BB, but it seems like it became a bit gangster in a way. Baseball has no cap to stop teams like NY. Also the steroid thing ruined the records of those that did not use PEDs. Football better watch out because it is evolving into something that might not be good for itself. Ultimate team sport though.
8) A loss has put me in a bad mood before but usually my ceiling is higher than my floor is low.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sure, I'll help out. Good luck with your project.

Questions:

I live in Colorado.

The Seattle Seahawks are my favorite NFL team and favorite sports franchise across all sports in existence. I started out as a Cowboys fan, since I was born in Dallas. When I was about 10 years old, I lost interest in the Cowboys for reasons I can't remember or explain (this was back in the 1981 season). But I still loved football and had told my dad I wanted to root for a different team. He had grown up in Seattle, and he told me that they had just gotten an expansion team a few years prior. And as fate would have it, that new-ish team was hosting Monday Night Football that week against the Chargers. I watched the Seahawks destroy the Chargers that game and loved the Kingdome and the jerseys and everything else about the team. Something just clicked, and I've been a massive fan ever since.

The team's physicality on both sides of the ball. That hasn't been as evident this season as it was last year, but the 2013 Seahawks were the team I'd always dreamt of having.

I've never rooted against the team (if I'm understanding your question correctly), but there have been times when I've very much wanted a particular player gone due to his off-field actions. Jerramy Stevens immediately comes to mind.

Nothing really. I suppose it might be nice to see Paul Allen take a more visible role in owner meetings. I'm not asking him to be a Jerry Jones or Robert Kraft or anything, but there are times when it feels a little like the Seahawks are just a thing he possesses as an investment, and that he's relatively passive when it comes to the direction of the game and the league. Maybe that's just in my head.

It looks like you've only got two real categories there with a couple of different names for each. I'm a hardcore/diehard guy. I was dropping money on Largent jerseys in the early '90s in the middle of Alabama and wearing them religiously. Didn't matter to me that the team sucked at the time or that no one around me had any idea of who I was supporting.

That's a tough one. I could easily argue for Russell Wilson or Marshawn Lynch, but I'm going to go with Richard Sherman. He's my favorite because he's not supposed to exist. He was supposed to be too big to play CB, too slow. He wasn't supposed to have the impact he does as a 5th round draft pick. He talks a big game, but he works his ass off to back up that talk, and the results are visible to everyone. That's admirable. As for how it impacts what team I root for, that's backwards. It's team first, not player first... there will be NFL players I admire, but I will never have a favorite football player who isn't a Seahawk.

The speed and violence of the game, plus better marketing than all the other major leagues.

It used to have a huge effect when I was younger. If the team lost or didn't live up to my expectations, my whole week was ruined, and I'd be grumpy with everyone. As I've gotten older, that effect has lessened. I get worked up/anxious during a game, and for about 30 minutes after the game, I'm either elated or bummed (or a weird combination of the two). But that's where it ends.

capncrunch

Reaction score
PantherPride95":21sxgjff said:

Questions:

VA

Seahawks. Shaun Alexander. Yes. Browns, Raiders, Giants.

The exciting play of Russell Wilson

No.

I'd like to see the "take care of the football" philosphy modified to "Russell, Do your thing." I'd like to see less penalties.

I started as a bandwagon, but I stuck around through good and bad times, which slid me up past Fair Weather to Diehard. I may not yet be Hardcore. I've only been to one game though I watch all of them. Twice if it's a W. I haven't made the monetary commitment many have for out of town travel and expensive tickets. I don't really hold animosity for other teams or fanbases. I'm on this site a lot, but only during the season.

Russell Wilson. The way he can keep the play alive. I like running quarterbacks, but he does it to minimize his hits rather than getting more. Also, his intangibles are off the chart. Well, it makes them a very exciting team to watch and a successful team.

It's the most exciting and unpredictable sport. A lot of baseball, soccer and basketball are the same sort of activity over and over. Football has a lot of different things going on and it's only once a week so you wait for more rather than nigtly overkill.

Yes. I can be quite bummed out after a loss and even a win some times. I get mad and also quite happy and satisfied. It affects me too much I think. Some times it impacts my ability to fall asleep. Especially if it's a night game.

sc85sis

Reaction score
PantherPride95":4kj71nn7 said:

Questions:

Southern CA; originally from MI

The Seahawks are my favorite team. I became a fan when Pete Carroll became head coach--I basically followed him from USC to the Hawks.

Growing up in MI I was a Bears fan, though I had gradually faded away from following the team over the years, especially after moving to CA.

The coach (see above). I knew Pete would make the team successful and I wanted to watch it happen. Naturally I fell in love with the Hawks along the way. I've made a point of trying to learn about the team's history and not just be a bandwagon fan.

No. Like others, I was disappointed about the suspensions a couple years ago, but not enough to put me off from watching. Players need to take personal responsibility for their actions. The coaching staff and management are not supposed to have to babysit grown men.

Their contests and promotions are pretty much always for Washington residents only. I wish there was more recognition of the fans outside of the state.

I've become pretty diehard. If I can't see a game, I'll listen to it via NFL's paid audio stream. I have bought merch. I participate actively at Seahawks.net. I hope to one day be able to afford to go to Seattle and watch a game at C-Link.

There's a direct correlation between the two. Growing up I was a Bears fan because of geography (Chicago was one of two TV markets in which we were located), they were the team my dad watched at the time and because of Walter Payton. Walter was by far my favorite player and probably still is my favorite of all time.

I don't know that I have a favorite player now, but if I had to choose it would be Russell Wilson, and I found him because the Hawks drafted him and made him their franchise QB.

There are myriad reasons. Baseball was traditionally "America's Pastime" as a sport, and I still enjoy catching a game (go Cubs). However, I think as our attention spans have shortened, we've gravitated towards a sport with more action. This has lead to the rise of both basketball and football. Football--especially the NFL--also has become more popular as TV coverage improved. Monday Night Football started that trend and sports networks like ESPN and NFL Network have continued it. There's also the "gladiator" aspect--as someone else mentioned. Whether we want to admit it or not, football appeals to the darker, more violent side of human nature in much the same way as the Roman gladiators did.

People can become very emotionally invested in the teams they closely follow. I'm no different. I get very "up" when the team is doing well, and I get pretty "down" when they lose. It's all transitory, but it certainly is noticeable. I also have spent some money on merch that I would not have spent otherwise. And I spend more of my free time reading articles, watching coverage and posting on this board--time I would use in other ways were I not a Hawks fan.

No problem. Good luck with your project!

Sarlacc83

Reaction score

Portland, OR

Seahawks. Yes. I grew up in Wisconsin and was inculcated into Green Bay fandom. However, due to a deep-seeded disgust with the Midwest and the people there, combined with my move to the Pacific Northwest (my mother had grown up in Oregon so she returned to take care of her parents; I was in college) and the fact Holmgren had taken the GM/Head Coaching position for Seattle convinced me to switch as a way of taking back 'my birthright' as a PNWer. (I had also grown up a big Mariners/Griffey Jr. fan, so that helped change my mind as well.)

2. What is your favorite thing about your favorite team? The stadium experience. There's nothing like Century Link on a clear cool day where you can see into downtown Seattle or out to Mt. Rainier while the place erupts with shouts and cheers.

3. Has there been a time you've gone against your team for morality reasons? Explain. (i.e. situations like Greg Hardy, Ray Rice, Bounty Gate) No. (Players and coaches? Yes.)

4. What would you like to change about your team (besides players/coaches/owners etc)? Less whining from the fans.

5. What kind of fan are you? Hardcore/Diehard/Fair Weather/Bandwagon etc. What are the differences in these types of fans? I suppose diehard. I don't look into the depth of playcalling or routes or scouting as much as I could, nor do I have any real interest in it. However, 15,000+ posts can't be from a fairweather fan. As for the difference, fairweather fans are either people who can't take the game seriously or they won't. Not always the worst thing, unless it's just to be in the 'in' crowd.

6. Who is your favorite football player? What makes him your favorite? How does this impact what team you root for? Kam Chancellor. Any player who can so easily put the fear of God into the opposing team is easy to pick. Makes the defense that much better and that much more fun to watch.

7. Why do you think Americans are so interested in football? Every Sunday is an event. Unlike other sports (except maybe MLS, in which I have not yet found this kind of atmosphere), it is easy to plan events and get togethers around the home team. And in a split household like mine with friends who are fans of the same team as my wife, there are many more opportunities to congregate.

8. Does your teams performance ever effect your personal life? If so, how? A) It's affect. B) Yes. I can get depressed after a close loss; it feels like the wind has gotten knocked out of me. Unless the loss was because of something stupid done by the players or coaches, and then I get a little grumpy and my wife has to remind me it's just a game.

Hope that helps.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
I'm from New Zealand but for the past 10 years have lived England, most of that time in Bristol

Seahawks. Became a fan in 2004-5; I was in Seattle for a Sonics playoff game and then went to the Mariners the following day, following which I stopped off at the Seahawks pro-shop on the walk back into town and bought a Chad Brown jersey. Kept track of the team since then, watching almost all of their games since 2008. I've never been a fan of another team but have been a fan of the league since about 1995, watching whatever game was on New Zealand TV that week.

Currently, I love what Carroll and Schneider have done and the way that they have done it, which seems to be fairly different from the norm. The positivity and competition seems to have paid dividends so far. The way they play hard and fast on defense and with Lynch. I love the confidence. Russell Wilson is great to watch and gives me confidence that for the next decade or so this team should be worth watching. The fact that the stadium and the fans are incredibly loud and intimidating is a major attraction as well.

No.

More merchandise available in the UK.

I'd say diehard. I wouldn't claim to be hardcore as I've never been to a Seahawks game, but I haven't missed one in since Carroll and Schneider took over, including staying up til close to 5am on work nights, whenever necessary, to watch more than a few of them (Prime time games start at 130am here).

It's hard to say. Either Marshawn or Russell. Both are truly unique in their playing style and are incredibly good at their jobs. I'd probably give edge to Marshawn because his personality shines through and is fascinating. Also love Kam; he's a machine. These guys are my favourite because they play for the Hawks, not the other way around.

I can't speak for Americans but, personally, I am a fan of most sports and follow 4 or 5 others very closely (NFL, Premier League football, NZ rugby, cricket, NBA, MLB). The NFL is easily my favourite. I love the concept: a violent game made up of set plays which demand such a high level of preparation and execution. The set-play nature makes it both easy and rewarding to study the intricacies of the game planning and strategy.
And while the sport is unquestionably violent it has such amazing athletes that it is often graceful and incredibly skilful at the same time. I love the coverage and presentation, for the most part. I also prefer games like football and cricket where there is a natural pause in between each play. I find it much easier to watch these sports than ones like Football (soccer) and rugby where the action is more or less continuous, with breaks in play are less frequent and less predictable.

Not the performance itself, that might be the difference between a hardcore and a diehard fan. However, my wife gets pretty pissed whenever I'm useless the next evening after staying up all night then going to work pretty much straight away for primetime games. It's brutal. Needless to say, I'm not a fan of Thursday night football, or bing flexed into primetime (although the latter do tend to be better games, especially at the Clink.

Good luck, my friend, just not this weekend.

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
1. Duh...seahawks....proximity to SEA when i grew up in YVR. No. (currently living in YYZ)

2. lately, the coaches work ethic.

3. hard to say. nothing has come up that is like the examples you list.

4. nothing.

5. diehard...not hardcore and certainly no bandwagoner. i mean, what kind of person would book a hotel and seats on a flight to the past super bowl two weeks before the NFC championship game...

6. currently, marshand lynch. he is very good at what he does but has a personality i like. yes. i rarely root for/or like players on a team i don't cheer for. one exception, i did root for payton manning to break 508 last week...

7. i'm canadian living in YYZ so not sure. perhaps it is a nice game of skill coupled with some hard hits. how can you not like it.

8. yes. i get pissed right off when they loose and it sometimes raises my anxiety level but that is just temporary since i know it is just a game and there will always be another one.

Erebus

Reaction score
Where do you live? Maryland, but originally from Washington.

Seahawks, because they were my home team growing up. Never been a fan of another NFL team. The only time I root for another team is when they are playing against a team I need to lose.

They are very physical and play with a lot of confidence.

No.

The record. Make them 6-0.

Die hard. I'll never give up on the team, no matter the record.

Russell Wilson. He has a very exciting skill set. QBs obviously have the biggest impact on a game, and he's a great QB. As long as you have a great QB, your team can always be competitive. And this doesn't impact what team I root for at all. In fact it's the other way around. He wouldn't be my favorite player if he wasn't a Seahawk, although I would still like him.

Football teams represent where you're from, so the accomplishments achieved by your favorite team reflect positively on where you're from, and by extension of being a fan, reflect positively on you and give you bragging rights. That's why we see so many bandwagon fans. This applies to all sports.

The reason Americans are interested in football in particular, compared to other sports, is that I believe (1) it's the ultimate team sport, (2) it's fast-paced enough to keep people interested, (3) the NFL enjoys unrivaled parity compared to other major sports leagues, and (4) since the season is so short, each game is hugely important. As for it being the ultimate team sport, in no other sport is everyone on the field as dependent on one another as in football.

I get pissed off for a few minutes after losses and go for a walk. After that, I'm fine. I never treat anyone poorly because of how the Seahawks play.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
*Where do you live? CA

1. Who is your favorite NFL team? What made you become a fan? Were you ever a fan of another team? Seattle Seahawks. When the Seahawks became a franchise in 1976, my dad lived in Seattle and was roommates with Sherman Smith (Seahawks first running back). So my dad became a Seahawks fan because his best friend was on the team. When I was born in 1984, I became a Seahawks fan because that was who my household rooted for even though we lived in 49er and Raider country. Been a Seahawks fan since Day 1 of my life and never been a fan of any other team.

2. What is your favorite thing about your favorite team? Right now, my favorite thing about the Seahawks is their desire to always compete and to whatever it takes to be competitive.

3. Has there been a time you've gone against your team for morality reasons? Explain. (i.e. situations like Greg Hardy, Ray Rice, Bounty Gate) No, never had a real reason to.

4. What would you like to change about your team (besides players/coaches/owners etc)? Nothing that is not personnel related. Maybe add a Seahawk logo to the jersey sleeves.

5. What kind of fan are you? Hardcore/Diehard/Fair Weather/Bandwagon etc. What are the differences in these types of fans? I consider myself a diehard fan. I don't really see a difference between hardcore or diehard fans. But these are fans who will watch and cheer for the team regardless of performance on the field. Whether they win every game or win zero games, a diehard fan will still love the team. A fair weather fan is someone who follows the team when they are doing well, but loses interest and stops caring when the team is doing poorly. A Bandwagon fan is someone who just likes rooting for success. They will cheer for whatever team is doing the best, and they jump around looking for success.

6. Who is your favorite football player? What makes him your favorite? How does this impact what team you root for? My favorite player right now is Russell Wilson. I really respect him as a person off the field and I am impressed with his work on the field. Him being my favorite player just makes it easier to root for the Seahawks because he is the leader of the Seahawks.

7. Why do you think Americans are so interested in football? It is a very action-oriented sport. I remember when a friend from Africa visited here and he had never seen football before. He was shocked at how violent and full of action it was. He had never seen anything like it. Americans love action and high scores, so football is a natural target.

8. Does your teams performance ever effect your personal life? If so, how? Yes, my wife tries to avoid me when the Seahawks lose. I get in a bad mood and I'm not much fun to be around. I don't take the anger out in the way I walk to anyone or treat anyone, I just need some time to calm down and get over the frustration of losing.

byau

Reaction score
Questions:

Currently in Los Angeles, CA. Born in Seattle, raised in Kent (parents still live in the same house in Kent)

Seahawks. Became a fan because that's all I grew up around: Seahawks, Sonics, Mariners. Fan of another team meaning in the NFL? No, I do like players, but not teams. Fan of another team meaning any other sport? Mariners and Sonics just because I'm a homer. Since the Sonics have left, I have gravitated towards the non-controversial humdrum Spurs. I really like the teamwork approach to sports teams and the Spurs are that.

The approach to teamwork is something I really love (see: 1980 US Hockey Team)

The front office, specifically coach and GM. Setting a great example of Russell Wilson jumping the line because of his hard work despite them paying a huge contract to someone else that they had planned to have as quarterback, this sets a great tone for how I think business and success should be accomplished.

The Spurs also follow this same model with another example: letting go of one of their more valuable role players, Stephen Jackson, two years ago because he believed he needed more playing time and the Coach said that the system didn't work that way. Eventually he made so much noise that they cut him, and it's possible he would have helped them beat the Miami Heat in the 2013 NBA Finals, but that is the Spurs way.

As a counter-example, many teams/coaches will play players just because they have big contracts, even if someone else comes in who works harder. This takes away the incentive to work hard for both the lower-paid player and the higher-paid player. Recent example in my head is the LA Dodgers when Yasiel Puig started playing because of some injuries to higher paid LA Dodgers.

Nope

I like the team how it is. Wish I could see more games (no NFL teams in Los Angeles)

Not sure how those definitions work. Used to be die-hard fanatic, pretty much growing up was fanatical about sports. I can get very easily emotionally attached to things, including sports

These days not so much. More of a casual die-hard. , Eventually I realized that being a fanatic was not super healthy for me personally and now I make sure to keep some detatchment.

I transitioned from being a die-hard fanatic to a "casual" fan who just followed sports in the news after the Sonics lost to Denver Nuggets in the NBA playoffs (1993-94) and then the next year to the Los Angeles Lakers (94-95). I was quite depressed about it in 1993-94 and then much more so again in 1994-95.

Wow even thinking about it now gets my blood boiling because these two years the Sonics should have won it. Jordan was not in the NBA, the Rockets won both years, and outside of those playoff years the Sonics were the ones who eliminated the Rockets and surely would have done so again had they not been knocked out of the first round both years .. ..freeeekknnn A.....

*ahem*

I digress.

Anyway, when I realized how much it affected me, I had to take step back from watching sports for my own well-being. I have slowly grown back from being that casual observer to now cautiously die-hard.

Honestly do not have a favorite football player, mostly because I keep distance being a cautious die-hard. I love the Seahawks. If I had to pick a favorite, I guess I'd say Payton Manning because he is an amazing example of work ethic and hard work, comeback after surgeries, and at his age still accomplishing what he is.

Americans in general are very interested in Sports. I think specifically football because it is once a week on Sundays (well, it used to be) so it makes it easy to follow and be involved, it is conducive to a party-like atmosphere for the weekend so whether just casually a fan of the game or a fan of the social activity, it's fun.

It did when I was very die-hard fanatical. It affected me personally and is why I had to take a step back. After that, it did not, because I would not watch any games, just casually follow from afar. Slowly I have increased my involvement again but do not let it affect my personal life. As an example, if my kids want to play with me while the game is on, the kids win. Or if my wife wants us to go to Disneyland or go to the park or something, that wins out (thank goodness for smart phone apps so I can at least keep up with the games!)

Cheers!

OP
OP
P

PantherPride95

Reaction score
Dang...you mean I missed the posts from people flaming me? I actually find stuff like that entertaining. Thanks anyway though.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I live in Vancouver, Washington (State)
The Seahawks are far and away my favorite team in any sport. I became a fan the second it was announced (in 1974, I was 17 years old) that the city of Seattle was being awarded an NFL franchise. Pro football was always my favorite sport growing up and I was born and raised in Washington state (in Spokane) so a team in my home state was "it". When I was growing up and before there was a Seattle franchise, I rooted for the San Diego Chargers, Oakland Raiders and Green Bay Packers.
They play in my home state and in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Oh, and their logo is freakin' cool. Very Northwest.
No because thus far they've not had a situation as bad as you describe.
Don't like the present uniforms though I do like the present uniform combos and colors and especially the logo so I guess I'd combine the present color combos and logo/helmets with the design of the original unis.
Hardcore/Diehard. Difference is in the level of interest and commitment you have to the team I suppose.
Russell Wilson because I've been waiting since 1976 for a true franchise QB to play for the Seahawks. No impact on who I root for cuz I always root for the Hawks no matter what.
Because it's like war with rules that are enforced (albeit inconsistently). It combines athleticism and violence.
No. It's entertainment. I will admit that the screwing they got in Super Bowl XL* had a bit of an impact on my personal life, but that was the only time (I was kind of depressed for a little while after the game).

razgriz737

Reaction score

WA

Seahawks. I've been a fan ever since I was a little kid. Seahawks were the closest team geographically and my parents were fans so no thought process really went into it. I've never been a fan of another team.

I really like that the fan base has a reputation for being so passionate at home games and even at road games in recent years.

No, there has never been a time where I've gone against the Hawks. All in all, the organization has been pretty great as long as I've been a fan.

I wish our organization didn't like the song "Bittersweet Symphony" so much. Kinda lame in my opinion.

Hardcore/Diehard. These types of fans watch every game, read every news article about the team, know every single player by name, number, and position, etc. Bandwagon/Fairweather fans watch the games because the team is good, and that's about it.

My favorite player is Richard Sherman. I like that he has overcome being brought up in a place like Compton. I also think he's misunderstood by many.

Likely because the NFL is so much better marketed than any other sports league in country currently.

I'll be in a bad mood/good mood for the rest of the day depending on if we win or lose, but that's about the extent of it.