Punt/ Kick Returner for Seahawks-Panthers (Update!)

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Maybe slightly premature since we don't know Walters' status for the game yet, but since he was out yesterday for "concussion," it is conceivable that he won't be available this weekend.

I would like to see Richardson and Lockette get a shot. With our injuries in the secondary, and his difficulty holding onto the ball on INT opportunities, I would prefer that we continue to abandon the Thomas experiment.

Thoughts?

- bsd

kidhawk

Reaction score
Pete's Mantra in the return game (and really all phases) is ball control. He'll put out there whomever he feels can keep control of the ball best. If that person happens to have electric speed and playmaking ability then it's a win/win, but ball control will always be his first priority for returners.

2_0_6

Reaction score
if I see Walters take the ball 9 yards deep out of the end zone and get tackled at the 10 again my twitch will come back.

gargantual

Reaction score
Oh yeah. Baldwin returning kicks is a good idea. Sherm on punts is an interesting thought, although didn't CMike return kicks in college or something? Of course you'd think if he could translate his speed into spectacular punt returns Pete would've had him out there. Too fumbly I guess.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Am I the only one who things Kearse could be good for PRs. I think he could be shifty without risking one of our key defenders safety. or hell put C-Mike out there. Let's see what he can do.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
If Walters is good to go then I'd expect him to take both roles. Dislike it as we may, Kearse, Turbin and Earl have all had chances to be on PR/KR going back to last season and fumbled them away; which Walters is yet to do.

It'd be cool to see Baldwin in both roles but despite Pete's willingness to put Earl back there, with recent injuries and developments I really think he'll consider Doug too important to this team to risk on returns. Walters took some shots last week, and as much as I shuddered, rather him than ADB.

With his burst and elusiveness, I'd have thought C-Mike has the potential to be a phenomenal returner but he hasn't got the chance. I wonder if it's a ball safety thing.

OP
OP
bigskydoc

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":6h3brfh6 said:
if I see Walters take the ball 9 yards deep out of the end zone and get tackled at the 10 again my twitch will come back.

Hawk Nation after the Carolina game.

images

- bsd

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Walters is a top my list of Hawks I wish would be cut. He's not talented. Hopefully someone steals his job this week.

Id let Cmike return Kicks and Prich punts. Done.

2_0_6

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3ka2aqam said:
Hawk_Nation":3ka2aqam said:

Hawk Nation after the Carolina game.

images

- bsd

:mrgreen:

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Walters actually has a pretty solid punt return average considering he hasn't broken a long one yet. He currently ranks ahead of Marcus Sherels, Antonio Brown and Jacoby Jones on punt return average -- all known as dangerous return men. He's doing the job that's asked of him and doing it well. If your PR man is improving your field position by 10 yards with consistency, then you don't have much to complain about.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2wyredvr said:
Walters actually has a pretty solid punt return average considering he hasn't broken a long one yet. He currently ranks ahead of Marcus Sherels, Antonio Brown and Jacoby Jones on punt return average -- all known as dangerous return men. He's doing the job that's asked of him and doing it well. If your PR man is improving your field position by 10 yards with consistency, then you don't have much to complain about.

I think the knock on Walters is he's not going to ever win a game for us busting one loose for 80 yards to the house.

He's merely safe and dependable..........which is fine. Those are two things you need in a PR, and is why he's back there instead of more dynamic players like Earl. But he's kind of a hold your nose and live with a fair catch or 10 yard return with no fumbling.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3oesy345 said:
DavidSeven":3oesy345 said:

I think the knock on Walters is he's not going to ever win a game for us busting one loose for 80 yards to the house.

He's merely safe and dependable..........which is fine. Those are two things you need in a PR, and is why he's back there instead of more dynamic players like Earl. But he's kind of a hold your nose and live with a fair catch or 10 yard return with no fumbling.

Agreed. I'd love to have a Golden or Leon back there. But absent a game breaking and trustworthy returner (which this team doesn't have), I'm good with consistent and reliable.

253hawk

Reaction score
PFF ranks Walters as tied for 7th best PR, so...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
253hawk":1851p5h6 said:

ESPN has him ranked 14th

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/playe ... eturnYards

Which I said I'm fine with Walters, but he's no Leon, Golden or Bobby Joe Edmunds! I'd just like to see a more dangerous person back there...........and I'm sure Pete would too, which is why it was open competition all summer.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1bo519su said:
253hawk":1bo519su said:

ESPN has him ranked 14th

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/playe ... eturnYards

Which I said I'm fine with Walters, but he's no Leon, Golden or Bobby Joe Edmunds! I'd just like to see a more dangerous person back there...........and I'm sure Pete would too, which is why it was open competition all summer.

That's overall yards. Remember, Seahawks had an early bye and Walters wasn't PR for Week 1. By average, he is #11, and that's without a huge return skewing his average.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1u7wrhkp said:
If Walters is good to go then I'd expect him to take both roles. Dislike it as we may, Kearse, Turbin and Earl have all had chances to be on PR/KR going back to last season and fumbled them away; which Walters is yet to do.

It'd be cool to see Baldwin in both roles but despite Pete's willingness to put Earl back there, with recent injuries and developments I really think he'll consider Doug too important to this team to risk on returns. Walters took some shots last week, and as much as I shuddered, rather him than ADB.

With his burst and elusiveness, I'd have thought C-Mike has the potential to be a phenomenal returner but he hasn't got the chance. I wonder if it's a ball safety thing.

Derp! Per Pete's presser Doug and Prich are on returns, you douchebag. :roll: