Was that black enough for you? Game recap

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
This game was so UGly it requires two capital letters. This is what we've come to expect on our annual trek to Carolina. Tough, gut check wins. 2012: 16-12. 2013: 12-7 2014: 13-9. Average score: 13.7-9.3.

It followed pretty much the same script too. 10AM east coast start. We start off slow. Second half belongs to the Hawks. We went in at halftime with 5 first downs to Carolina's 12 and barely 100 yds offense. The second half was all Hawks. We finished with 19 first downs to Carolina's 17 and over 300 yds offense. Carolina feels like they let one get away. We feel like we clawed one out.

THE GOOD: Turbin may have only had 5 touches but he did a lot with them. I'll take 42 yds on 5 touches over -1 on 6 from Harvin anyday. That catch over the shoulder where he beat the defender to the corner was beautiful. Looks like he's finally finding his place on this team.

Baldwin is obviously the leader of this WR corps, but Wilson got the ball out to 9 players on 20 receptions. Everyone is contributing. Especially nice to see Richardson and Norwood getting involved in this offense. Was that catch by Norwood sweet or what?

Bruuuce! I think Irvin should stop being a LBer and go back to the Leo. Our pass rush has been The Suck so far this season. Irvin at Leo made the defense look like the old LOB again. We got 3 sacks and 5 QB hits, all in the second half. If I had all 22 I'd go back and see at what point Irvin moved to the front. The defense was obviously flat going into the game, but like so many 10 am east coast starts, they found their stride in the second half and shut down Carolina. The Panthers only generated 103 yds total offense in the second half. Most of it on that 64 yard drive for a FG.

Olsen. We finally figured out how to stop a TE. The leading TE in the NFL was held to only 1 catch.

THE BAD: Once again the Hawks came out ugly in the first half. Can the ball bounce any worse for us this year? Carolina fumbled 4 times in the first half. We recovered once. We fumbled twice, they got one. That's six fumbles, four go the Panthers way, two go our way. And it isn't just this game. Going into this game our opponents have fumbled 7 times and we've recovered 2. Now we're 3 out of 11.

Remember when the 2011 49ers had such a great turnover ratio? We Hawk fans as well as many on FO knowingly pointed out that much of that was because they recovered so many more fumbles than the other team. That's not something that is sustainable. That's just lucky bounces. Sure enough, the 9er's couldn't maintain that luck the next season. Now we're experiencing the opposite luck. The good news is, that's not sustainable either and the ball will start bouncing our way eventually.

As long as the refs let it.

Tackling. We may have held the Panthers to 3.9 ypc, but don't let that stat fool you. Newton pulled down the average with his scrambles for barely any yards. Stewart ran on our usually stellar run defense at a 4.9 ypc clip. Much of that was bouncing like a pin ball off of defenders who seemed to be more intent on stripping the ball than tackling.

THE UGLY: I really never want to hear that voice from I Am The Walrus saying "Oh untimely death!" at the end of a long Seahawks drive ending in a turnover ever again. Paul is dead conspiracy theories aside, that's how I felt when Marshawn let that ball slip through his hands at the end of the half and Carolina picked it off. That's how I felt about the drive in the third quarter when Schilling fumbled at the 21.

This game was ugly for both teams. We may not have gotten the lucky bounces, but Carolina fumbled FOUR TIMES in the first half. THEY are the ones that are lucky the game was as close as it was.

THE WILSON: How much more can a whitey game manager with no fro do to carry a team. This guy is the epitome of Seahawkyness. He never gives up. When Wilson scrambles for the ball I hear Winston Churchill saying "we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender".

Okay, I seem to be hearing a lot of dead British guys mumbling in my head during Seahawks games. Who knew? If I were normal, I wouldn't be on .Net.

Wilson finished with a crappy 76.3 rating for this game. Nonetheless, he hit 9 different receivers for 20 completions on 32 throws. But it's what he did in the 4th quarter that makes him so special.

It was his Will to Win that carried this team in the clutch however. 3rd and 10? Scramble for 15 yards. 1st and 15 with time running out in the 4th? Wilson scrambles for 14. Those two drives netted the Hawks 10 points. Mr. Clutch went 5-5 passing on the final drive of the game for the win. In the 4th quarter he was 7-9 for 78 yards, 5 first downs and a TD.

Is that black enough for ya?

Oh, and Wilson to Willson. Sometimes it takes three L's to make a W. Go Hawks!

themunn

Reaction score
It was too black

I still don't actually know what that means. But there was too much of it from Wilson

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Thanks for a good write-up Salish. LOVE the Beatles references as they have been my favorite musical artists since February 9, 1964.

Loved that you laid out the stats/plays recap on what my eyes saw as Russ was willing this team to a W.

kearly

Reaction score
Best thing about this win is that it wiped out what would have been the most devastating regular season loss of the PC era. That alone has me on cloud nine.

The key play of this game that no one remembers is the Benjamin drop in the back of the end zone. His feet were in, and Sherman was late trying to swat it. If he holds on to that catch it might not be a Seahawks win. There was also a play later in the game where Benjamin had Sherman beat for a long TD but Newton overthrew him.

Sherman could do very little to stop #13.

Watching this game my #1 takeaway was that last year's Sherman would have walked out of this game with three picks, but this year's Sherman is very lucky he didn't get cooked for 150 and 2 TD's. For the first time this year, a QB actually had the gumption to serve up fade route after fade route to Sherman. None of them were intercepted, and at least one of them was completed for a big gain.

At this point I'm not even sure if Sherman can blame the new rules emphasis. He is clearly in a funk mentally. The edge just isn't there right now.

pehawk

Reaction score
kearly":3czvxv9b said:
Best thing about this win is that it wiped out what would have been the most devastating regular season loss of the PC era. That alone has me on cloud nine.

The key play of this game that no one remembers is the Benjamin drop in the back of the end zone. His feet were in, and Sherman was late trying to swat it. If he holds on to that catch it might not be a Seahawks win.

Sherman could do nothing to stop him. Benjamin is a good receiver, and Sherman was average, not awful today. But still, watching this game my #1 takeaway was that last year's Sherman would have walked out of this game with three picks.

Wow are you being Harsh on Sherman this year. I have a feeling you we're touched by a can of Campbell's Chunky Soup, and you're taking it out on poor Sherm.

Any time there's a reception, or even near reception (germane to your Benjamin example), it requires a very high, and low percentage throw coupled with a low-percentage catch, requiring a phenomenal catch.

kearly

Reaction score
pehawk":2p76tau6 said:
Wow are you being Harsh on Sherman this year. I have a feeling you we're touched by a can of Campbell's Chunky Soup, and you're taking it out on poor Sherm.

Any time there's a reception, or even near reception (germane to your Benjamin example), it requires a very high, and low percentage throw coupled with a low-percentage catch, requiring a phenomenal catch.

Shouldn't I be though? He missed some chances for picks he would have had last year. Benjamin had over 20 yards per catch, dropped a TD catch with Sherman covering and had another long TD catch blown by a poor Newton throw.

pehawk

Reaction score
kearly":etfotnt2 said:
pehawk":etfotnt2 said:

Shouldn't I be though? He missed some chances for picks he would have had last year. Benjamin had over 20 yards per catch, dropped a TD catch with Sherman covering and had another long TD catch blown by a poor Newton throw.

I think even those rare catches on Sherman will decrease as pressure increases.

Tip of the cap to Benjamin...dudes a beast.

olyfan63

Reaction score
It looked 50-50 like Sherman would have stripped the ball had Benjamin not dropped that one.
That was a 4-point swing, IIRC, as Carolina got a FG on that drive.

olyfan63

Reaction score
LymonHawk":rwi0jyu4 said:
IMHO: The turning point/play, was Mebane's sack.
I felt that way too.
It was reminiscent of the sacks our interior guys got last year, where a QB got flushed into them by outside pressure.
That was a huge, huge, play in the game.

kearly

Reaction score
pehawk":dwctwcv1 said:

Going by memory, I'm pretty sure there was only one "indefensible" completion Benjamin had, his first one. Otherwise, he flat out beat Sherman at least four times that I saw, including the two should have been TDs.

The long almost TD was like hearing alarm bells. Sherman had Benjamin boxed up the sideline, then just let him get a body length because Sherm took too long to find the ball. Before this year Sherman would never let a receiver separate in that situation.

Benjamin did play well, other than his TD drop. He's a good player. And I'm not a Sherman hater, that's silly. But the fact remains that he got cooked today and came very close to getting outright embarrassed.

The pass rush was heroic today. I'll take it. It would be nice if they remembered how to "hawk tackle" though.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
pehawk":2444c5az said:
kearly":2444c5az said:
pehawk":2444c5az said:

Benjamin's 6'5', 240 pounds, 4.6 speed, 33 inch vert and an 83 inch wingspan. I'm going to come out and say right now he's the next Megatron.

Kam's no slouch either.

pehawk

Reaction score
kearly":1k2a5tn7 said:
pehawk":1k2a5tn7 said:

Going by memory, I'm pretty sure there was only one "indefensible" completion Benjamin had, his first one. Otherwise, he flat out beat Sherman at least four times that I saw, including the two should have been TDs.

The long almost TD was like hearing alarm bells. Sherman had Benjamin boxed up the sideline, then just let him get a body length because Sherm took too long to find the ball. Before this year Sherman would never let a receiver separate in that situation.

Benjamin did play well, other than his TD drop. He's a good player. And I'm not a Sherman hater, that's silly. But the fact remains that he got cooked today and came very close to getting outright embarrassed.

The pass rush was heroic today. I'll take it. It would be nice if they remembered how to "hawk tackle" though.

Tomato...tomatoe. I've seen Sherm play exceptionally well under more pressure.

kearly

Reaction score
olyfan63":32ju1wuz said:
It looked 50-50 like Sherman would have stripped the ball had Benjamin not dropped that one.
That was a 4-point swing, IIRC, as Carolina got a FG on that drive.

How often do you see that though? Maybe 1 in 10? Also, the ball was far to the inside (Sherman was outside) pretty far away from Sherman, and Sherman was a step late too. He could have slapped Benjamin's arms and that would have been about it.

kearly

Reaction score
pehawk":t0zsm293 said:

No doubt. He was an unstoppable force for years, and this season he's had a few good games.

Not today though.

I really liked our pass rush today. They got three sacks but really should have had six or seven.

kearly

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":1vy918ss said:
Benjamin's 6'5', 240 pounds, 4.6 speed, 33 inch vert and an 83 inch wingspan. I'm going to come out and say right now he's the next Megatron.

BMW / Alshon is the comp I'd use. I drafted him in fantasy and have been starting him all year. Good player.

hawk45

Reaction score
Sherman wasn't that off today but if he played like that we lose the NFCC game last year.
I think Sherman has been pretty good all year but he doesn't allow that kind of separation last year. He's shut down guys just as beastly in Fitzgerald and megatron.

pehawk

Reaction score
kearly":3cttmvb2 said:
pehawk":3cttmvb2 said:

No doubt. He was an unstoppable force for years, and this season he's had a few good games.

Not today though.

I really liked our pass rush today. They got three sacks but really should have had six or seven.

Agreed on the pass rush. The delayed blitz was huge. And, if you let Irvin rush in that type of situation (Panthers last series), he'll dominate. Irvin would get 15-20 sacks playing for a high scoring offense like Denver.

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Probably should have included Wilson's butt ugly throw to Helfet in the UGLY part of my post. Guess my mind blocked that one out. This game we left so many points off the board.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":iqvpar8p said:
Probably should have included Wilson's butt ugly throw to Helfet in the UGLY part of my post. Guess my mind blocked that one out. This game we left so many points off the board.

Looked to me that he had no intention of throwing it (had already committed to running it), found Helfet, changed his mind and tried to adjust the ball from running to throwing in too short a time. Wilson had a bad day today, but that one I really don't have an issue with. Though he probably should have just run with it, I am guessing a receiver that wide open was too tempting to pass up.