Young guys looked good today.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
I loved what I saw from Richardson today, special teams included. Norwood did well. KPL looked good. As did Irvin and Michael.

This was how the Hawks rose up. On the backs of young, unproven but budding stars. They can rise again the same way.

jkitsune

Reaction score
KPL played out of his mind, I thought. Hugely reassuring on a defense marred by injuries. Have liked what Rich has shown the last 2 games. That deep ball that was swatted away from RW to Rich was perfectly timed. With more experience, Rich will go up for that and maybe this game isn't as close as it wound up.

razgriz737

Reaction score
KPL had a very good day today. Really excited about him going forward. He's so speedy.

Richardson was great, as many have already said.

Norwood did everything he was asked to do. I swear on his second reception he wasn't even ready for the ball at all yet he still caught it. Very good hands.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Richardson is such a smooth and natural hands catcher; makes it look effortless. This is often rare for burners. It is a very exciting combination. Really thought he was going to outrun the angles on the kickoff, but this is the NFL.

Norwood; big body, sure hands, looked very aware.

KPL; made his reads then fired.

Didn't see much, if anything, completed on Simon.

Michael looked confident and on it.

Willson with the huge clutch TD.

Bruce at closing time.

This is how this team got to where they are; young hungry dudes stepping up and pulling in the same direction.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I thought Simon played awesome!!! It was great to see.

olyfan63

Reaction score
It was great to see Russell showing the confidence in Luke Willson to go back to him after Willson had a couple drops/plays not made. Willson got the one knocked away on a hit, and the TD was maybe a harder hit, but he put it away and did a nice Golden Tate/Jerome-Kearse-channeling-Tate impersonation. Spun off that big hit and found end zone. Nice to see Willson step up there.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":2xyb963k said:
I thought Simon played awesome!!! It was great to see.
Now if we can just having him work with the WR's a bit too til he learns to catch...
We'll start gaining on last year's pick numbers again. Hey, it worked for Sherman, it's just that he did that in college.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
KPL is visibly more explosive than Smith and when he gets to the ball, unlike Smith thus far this season, the ballcarrier actually goes down. I'd like to see him get more reps at WLB if he continues to earn it with probably some of the most consistent play, albeit only half a game or so, that we've seen from the WLB spot even when KJ was playing it, who's lack of speed has shown up at times on 3rd downs in particular.

Also, some really go overboard with the 3 boneheaded penalties that Irvin has had this season, but he's been really consistent in providing pressure on the QB as a DE and he's done better at setting the edge than Avril has in the run game. One thing I really appreciated from him on his second sack was the Clem celebration with the folded arms. Bigtime salute right there. And I do like him playing SLB as well. His speed shows up a lot.

Now, this sort of leads into another conversation that may not be popular in that it's possible both KJ AND Smith are gone next season. We can't give KJ any more than slightly above average starter money...if that. It's possible that next season your starters could be Wags, KPL and Irvin. Might be a severe point of thought for some, but it would be the single fastest LB core that the Hawks have ever had. I'd go as far to say the fastest in the league. It could happen. Mike Morgan would need to be retained for backup SLB duties as well as possibly Schofield, if he can stay healthy. Coyle would be the backup MLB with another year under his belt and then we'd be looking to have some fill in players in the draft and what not otherwise. We have a lot of picks next year. Money is finite.

Scruggs also showed up quite a few times today. Even from the 1 tech/NT position which has been a big concern and wasn't handled well by Williams when Mebane wasn't in. Hill had been backing up that spot previous to Williams and was very average. Hill had a better preseason than he's had regular season. Scruggs showing up in both the run game and in providing pressure up the middle is something we hadn't seen from Bane's backup so far this season. Very good to see.

Simon had a few frustrating plays, but beyond that he wasn't in the picture much.....and that's a good thing.

Willson really does have tough catch issues. He did have the one PI that should have been called that people were talking about before, but it is a theme. It's as if he relaxes when he goes for the catch. However, just as I was saying that Helfet should surpass him on the depth chart he goes and makes a tough catch. Either way, it's something to keep an eye on and needs to be a point of emphasis for Willson. He needs to put the ball away quick and not go all J-E-L-L-O when going for the catch in the first place like a crash dummy. Willson fixes that and he can absolutely be a legitimate starter in this league.

Turbin and Michael played consistently today. Both players aware of exactly where the 1st down marker is and getting the tough yards.

Richardson and Norwood both played pretty well. Norwood made one hell of a split second catch. Richardson played well except for the long ball. If that's Kearse it actually might be a catch, but the younger WR played that ball like he was still in college and never got off the ground and instead just tried to run under it. The film room should very well make him aware that he has a chance at that if he goes up to meet the ball. I'm not expecting him to be Benjamin, but you've got to go up for that.

I could probably include Wilson, Baldwin, Kearse, Sherm, Kam, ET, etc in the young guys report too, as well as maybe 4 OL, but I'll leave it at that for now.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I think Richardson probably wasn't quite ready for the defender's speed on the long ball play. That's something you don't fully understand about the NFL vs. college until you experience it firsthand.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
sc85sis":q6oxmreg said:
I think Richardson probably wasn't quite ready for the defender's speed on the long ball play. That's something you don't fully understand about the NFL vs. college until you experience it firsthand.

Essentially every game he plays he'll have learning experiences, which him playing at the level he has been when given the opportunity, is encouraging.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
vin.couve12":k0zh49no said:
KPL is visibly more explosive than Smith and when he gets to the ball, unlike Smith thus far this season, the ballcarrier actually goes down. I'd like to see him get more reps at WLB if he continues to earn it with probably some of the most consistent play, albeit only half a game or so, that we've seen from the WLB spot even when KJ was playing it, who's lack of speed has shown up at times on 3rd downs in particular.

Also, some really go overboard with the 3 boneheaded penalties that Irvin has had this season, but he's been really consistent in providing pressure on the QB as a DE and he's done better at setting the edge than Avril has in the run game. One thing I really appreciated from him on his second sack was the Clem celebration with the folded arms. Bigtime salute right there. And I do like him playing SLB as well. His speed shows up a lot.

Now, this sort of leads into another conversation that may not be popular in that it's possible both KJ AND Smith are gone next season. We can't give KJ any more than slightly above average starter money...if that. It's possible that next season your starters could be Wags, KPL and Irvin. Might be a severe point of thought for some, but it would be the single fastest LB core that the Hawks have ever had. I'd go as far to say the fastest in the league. It could happen. Mike Morgan would need to be retained for backup SLB duties as well as possibly Schofield, if he can stay healthy. Coyle would be the backup MLB with another year under his belt and then we'd be looking to have some fill in players in the draft and what not otherwise. We have a lot of picks next year. Money is finite.

Scruggs also showed up quite a few times today. Even from the 1 tech/NT position which has been a big concern and wasn't handled well by Williams when Mebane wasn't in. Hill had been backing up that spot previous to Williams and was very average. Hill had a better preseason than he's had regular season. Scruggs showing up in both the run game and in providing pressure up the middle is something we hadn't seen from Bane's backup so far this season. Very good to see.

Simon had a few frustrating plays, but beyond that he wasn't in the picture much.....and that's a good thing.

Willson really does have tough catch issues. He did have the one PI that should have been called that people were talking about before, but it is a theme. It's as if he relaxes when he goes for the catch. However, just as I was saying that Helfet should surpass him on the depth chart he goes and makes a tough catch. Either way, it's something to keep an eye on and needs to be a point of emphasis for Willson. He needs to put the ball away quick and not go all J-E-L-L-O when going for the catch in the first place like a crash dummy. Willson fixes that and he can absolutely be a legitimate starter in this league.

Turbin and Michael played consistently today. Both players aware of exactly where the 1st down marker is and getting the tough yards.

Richardson and Norwood both played pretty well. Norwood made one hell of a split second catch. Richardson played well except for the long ball. If that's Kearse it actually might be a catch, but the younger WR played that ball like he was still in college and never got off the ground and instead just tried to run under it. The film room should very well make him aware that he has a chance at that if he goes up to meet the ball. I'm not expecting him to be Benjamin, but you've got to go up for that.

I could probably include Wilson, Baldwin, Kearse, Sherm, Kam, ET, etc in the young guys report too, as well as maybe 4 OL, but I'll leave it at that for now.

Some very good info here. Aren't you a former/current football coach?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
hawksfan515":yauix5lj said:
vin.couve12":yauix5lj said:

Some very good info here. Aren't you a former/current football coach?

Nope. Just played RB and DB for a lot of years. Co-worker who's parents own CCYF keeps asking me, but I've got plenty on my plate already.