Impressed so far with Richardson and Norwood

HansGruber

Reaction score
They've looked really good the last few weeks. Catching everything thrown to them, even the bad passes. Richardson on that deep route made me smile. Norwood's catch behind him on that bad pass on the last drive was a thing of beauty.

I think Carroll might have dumped Harvin just to get Richardson and Norwood on the active roster and into the game. Get Wilson comfortable with them. Get them ready for the postseason. After seeing them play the last few weeks, it just might have been a brilliant move.

No matter how little we scored on Sunday, our offense is moving the ball pretty well. You can see the chemistry building with Wilson, and I love how Baldwin is getting open and making things happen up the middle as well.

Remember all those people saying Seattle wasn't throwing to the middle of the field? What changed? Russell Wilson has been lighting it up. Saw some really good slants and posts against St Louis and Carolina.

Thoughts?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt, they don't seem intimidated at all by the situation. Other than maybe getting to the sticks when you make a catch, but that's easily fixed. Love seeing Richardson back on KR too.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Gonna be hard to justify putting Walters back on the gameday roster when he's healthy the way the rooks are playing.

mikeak

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":2ebfn8n3 said:
Gonna be hard to justify putting Walters back on the gameday roster when he's healthy the way the rooks are playing.

How about we don't want Sherman returning punts?

I agree with your point as it relates to receiving duties but I just don't want Sherman back there.....

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Don't know if you meant to imply that was the only reason Pete traded Percy, but I get the jest. Everything had come to head at that time, so why not move him and let two very promising WRs on the field. I've had faith in Richardson and Norwood since the day we drafted them, so I'm really excited to see more of them. I think Bevell needs to design some RZ plays just for Norwood. The dude is a beast!

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
mikeak":3br059q2 said:
XxXdragonXxX":3br059q2 said:

I agree with your point as it relates to receiving duties but I just don't want Sherman back there.....

I don't want Sherman back there either, but I think soon enough they'll put Richardson back there.

Walters just isn't good enough as a returner to justify him taking a roster spot from someone who can actually contribute to the offense.

kidhawk

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":38e78u5d said:
mikeak":38e78u5d said:
XxXdragonXxX":38e78u5d said:

I don't want Sherman back there either, but I think soon enough they'll put Richardson back there.

Walters just isn't good enough as a returner to justify him taking a roster spot from someone who can actually contribute to the offense.

Pete said during his Presser today that Richardson wants to do both punt and kickoff returns, but he thinks it's best to get him used to kickoffs first then let him try punts because punt returning is more complex than kickoff returns.

I took it to mean that if PRich can continue doing well on kickoffs, they'll work on his punt returns in practice and eventually he may just earn that job.

I too liked what I saw with Richardson returning kicks. I do think it's a tad early to annoint him yet though, after just one game, but I like what I saw and want to see more.

OP
OP
HansGruber

HansGruber

Reaction score
kidhawk":1tk17gtz said:
XxXdragonXxX":1tk17gtz said:
mikeak":1tk17gtz said:
XxXdragonXxX":1tk17gtz said:

Pete said during his Presser today that Richardson wants to do both punt and kickoff returns, but he thinks it's best to get him used to kickoffs first then let him try punts because punt returning is more complex than kickoff returns.

I took it to mean that if PRich can continue doing well on kickoffs, they'll work on his punt returns in practice and eventually he may just earn that job.

I too liked what I saw with Richardson returning kicks. I do think it's a tad early to annoint him yet though, after just one game, but I like what I saw and want to see more.

That 47 yard return by Richardson was a thing of beauty. And it seemed to re-energize the offense.

kidhawk

Reaction score
HansGruber":1xagkzy6 said:
That 47 yard return by Richardson was a thing of beauty. And it seemed to re-energize the offense.

Absolutely and I hope to see a lot more of it in the coming weeks. Hopefully he can prove to be not only a spark, but reliable enough that Pete wants to put him out there in both portions of the return game sooner rather than later.

BKCW

Reaction score
With the current CBA in place and the restrictions on practice duration/intensity; the game experience is going to be like compound interest come the playoff run and ensuing title defense. And overall, I am really impressed by the small sample our rookie receiving corps has produced with the additional benefit of allowing them to grow and mature along with our stud QB under center.

mikeak

Reaction score
BKCW":jeqmdzkv said:
With the current CBA in place and the restrictions on practice duration/intensity; the game experience is going to be like compound interest come the playoff run and ensuing title defense. And overall, I am really impressed by the small sample our rookie receiving corps has produced with the additional benefit of allowing them to grow and mature along with our stud QB under center.

The FO used a very savy move of aquiring Percy Harvin two years ago so that the WR rookies could sit on the bench this year and learn before they were forced to come in and play.

It showed yesterday that this move is already paying off

Sorry couldn't resist

OP
OP
HansGruber

HansGruber

Reaction score
mikeak":25u0dlxn said:
BKCW":25u0dlxn said:

The FO used a very savy move of aquiring Percy Harvin two years ago so that the WR rookies could sit on the bench this year and learn before they were forced to come in and play.

Sorry couldn't resist
If that's what you got from what he said, I'd love to hear your response from the Pete Carroll presser today. Because he said the same thing as BKCW.

kearly

Reaction score
I remember when Pete cut Housh for zero savings at a time when he was more or less the only decent WR we had. A few days later, Big Mike Williams was lighting it up. A week after that, Brandon Stokley.

There is a method to Pete's madness. This Harvin situation with the new receivers actually making the offense better reminds me of that.

Also, the Jets were a mess with Harvin yesterday.

mikeak

Reaction score
HansGruber":195kzsee said:
mikeak":195kzsee said:
BKCW":195kzsee said:

Sorry couldn't resist
If that's what you got from what he said, I'd love to hear your response from the Pete Carroll presser today. Because he said the same thing as BKCW.

Sorry it was a joke to the Harvin trade and not against the OP I made a post in the game day forum on the same note as this. Basically saying I was impressed by the rookies and how they were now getting chances with Harvin out

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Richardson is very smooth and has made some good catches the last 2 games. I've been waiting to see Norwood contribute, his catch on the final drive was terrific. Can't wait to see them continue to develop over the season.

Tical21

Reaction score
They both passed their first test. Hopefully we'll get them ready for bigger tests soon.

Norwood could be a nice option over the middle but I think we're doing better over the middle because Russell is figuring two things out:

1. Against most zones, the easiest intermediate passes to complete are in the level between the linebackers and safeties. Russell is doing a better job of diagnosing the coverage and being concise with his decision making over the middle.

2. Russell is realizing that against man, you can usually find good mismatches in the middle of the field.

We went from an empty formation on back to back plays on Sunday, with Marshawn as the widest receiver. On the first play, the cornerback slid out to cover Marshawn, giving away that it was zone coverage. Russell hit a ten yard pass over the middle. The second play, the linebacker went out to cover Marshawn, giving away that it was man coverage. Russell missed a skinny post but had the right idea and had the receiver with a step. Also, the touchdown at the end of the game was the same type of recognition by Russell. These are MAJOR steps, and since we have not seen these types of plays often from Russell in the past, it has really made me question his long-term trajectory. This is the difference between having to make incredible plays to win, and ginsuing a defense.

But yeah, I'm on record as being big in the Richardson camp. I think the guy is a pretty complete receiver and is only scratching the surface. And he'll get a big one soon too.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kidhawk":3brzzh52 said:
HansGruber":3brzzh52 said:

Absolutely and I hope to see a lot more of it in the coming weeks. Hopefully he can prove to be not only a spark, but reliable enough that Pete wants to put him out there in both portions of the return game sooner rather than later.

To use a sports analogy, catching a kickoff is more like hitting a fastball, while fielding a punt is like hitting a good knuckleball. It's also easier to directionally punt as you're putting more air under it and it generally doesn't travel as far (unless you're freaking Ryan after a safety).

I've been impressed by Richardson since the preseason. He's very smooth in his routes, and he's very polished in his interviews, which generally shows maturity. I'm not sure we dumped Harvin to get Richardson on the field, but it's possible....none of us can really see what goes on in practice (and if you can, speak up dammit !). I think getting the rookies on the field was either a by product of the trade, or more of a future goal.

Norwood's claim to fame at Alabama was being McCarron's security blanket and making catches at big moments in big games. He specialized in the crucial play, so that kind of skill set lends itself to not letting the moment get too big for him.

I was stoked to see both of these guys do well in the preseason, and I was impatient to see them both play in the regular season. Norwood has good size and 4.4 speed, and Richardson reminds me of a Desean Jackson type player. PeHawk wrote in another article that we are looking like the 2012 Hawks' offense in that we started the season slow and picked up a lot of steam towards the end. I agree with that assessment and think it's the younger players' development that will propel us to the playoffs.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Really wish we'd use PRich deep more often. He has elite speed and can take the top off a defense.

His kickoff return was beautiful though. He was one block away from housing it.

WendellWent

Reaction score
Tical21":8z7e8fet said:
They both passed their first test. Hopefully we'll get them ready for bigger tests soon.

Norwood could be a nice option over the middle but I think we're doing better over the middle because Russell is figuring two things out:

1. Against most zones, the easiest intermediate passes to complete are in the level between the linebackers and safeties. Russell is doing a better job of diagnosing the coverage and being concise with his decision making over the middle.

2. Russell is realizing that against man, you can usually find good mismatches in the middle of the field.

We went from an empty formation on back to back plays on Sunday, with Marshawn as the widest receiver. On the first play, the cornerback slid out to cover Marshawn, giving away that it was zone coverage. Russell hit a ten yard pass over the middle. The second play, the linebacker went out to cover Marshawn, giving away that it was man coverage. Russell missed a skinny post but had the right idea and had the receiver with a step. Also, the touchdown at the end of the game was the same type of recognition by Russell. These are MAJOR steps, and since we have not seen these types of plays often from Russell in the past, it has really made me question his long-term trajectory. This is the difference between having to make incredible plays to win, and ginsuing a defense.

But yeah, I'm on record as being big in the Richardson camp. I think the guy is a pretty complete receiver and is only scratching the surface. And he'll get a big one soon too.

I learned this from playing Madden, I am sure Wilson knows how to read man vs zone based on this simply concept. I mean he motions his guys quite a bit for the reason alone, it is pretty obvious, so it definitely is something Wilson is taking advantage of. It seems to me he has thrown to the middle less with Miller being out, but Baldwin has picked up that slack and then some the last two weeks. Honestly, if the WR hold on to a few more this isn't even really a concern.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Norwood is easy to see who the prototype was - Boldin. Richardson D. Jackson / Harvin

Latest posts