dotNetTwentyFourteen Feature Requests

A collection of NET's best and most memorable threads. Predictions, debates, laughs, and X's & O's. Rating: PG to NC-17
  • Aros wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:First thing I want to say is that so far I LOVE the new look. I was hesitant, because I've grown quite fond of Todd's work, but this place looks great. As for the features and such, I plan to just post as normal for awhile before I decide if there's any requests I want to make. Want to let the changes soak in a bit first.

On to the one thing that still is nagging at me, and it's not any of the changes that were made last night, but the one change I've been waiting for and have yet to see. I really am curious as to when the EST. 1998 (or something similar) is going to get added to the header graphic or perhaps somewhere else on the site? If it's there, I'm not seeing it and I had thought it was already a given that it was going to be a part of this.

Other than that minor little nagging detail. Great job on the new digs. All of the hard work is definitely appreciated

Andrew - who made the winning header graphic - is sending me an updated version with the Est. 1998 on it. I will pass it on to Anguish to kindly overwrite the current.

I can see the points about the new fixed width posting area but I really like on my wide screen how I can see the Sacred Century Link cradling the main section...Hopefully we stick with it. I think it's one of the things that we will grow accustomed to, IMO.

Thanks for the update Todd. I hadn't heard anything, and I had just figured it would be factored into the update last night.

I have found one feature that I miss already. I can live without it, but the ability to hover over a topic and read a portion of the actual OP was a pretty cool feature to help skim through the forums with. If we can't get that back, I can live without it, but it's the only thing I've noticed that I really miss so far.
    :les:

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Looks awesome... Great work guys...

Coming to feature request, this might be small.. but is it possible to implement 'Login' button in such a way that we need not leave the home page and come back to it again? As I said before.. this could be small/not needed but gives a seamless look.

Also one more thing on the same lines.. when you reply to a post, can we eliminate the screen which comes in between that says 'View your submited message'?
    DesiHawk
    * NET Desi *

• Just don't end up like that cartoon Aros posted showing how a customer requested site morphs in time to an abomination. I liked the previous/next buttons but can learn to live without them.

I would like a wider display field but can learn to live without this.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• I posted this in the other topic, but wanted to post it here as well to ensure folks see it:

Thanks for all the great feedback folks, I know a change this dramatic isn't easy to become accustomed to after so many years, but it's great to hear so many people digging it like we do.

No doubt the biggest thing we're hearing about is the width of the forum and the empty spaces on each side. Understand this is purposeful so the forum can be viewed via mobile/tablet devices along with standard screens and it's very much today's standard. Even our beloved Seahawks.com uses this standard.

This was purposeful as we move to make the experience better for the mobile devices, but those of us with computers aren't going to be completely left behind. Part of the work will be to release enhancements periodically which we hope will address some of the most common requests so watch for that.

Thanks again for the positive responses, you guys have no idea how much work this took Anguish to complete so hearing it being so well received is a very good thing.

GO HAWKS!!
    Les - "Mark, you're my favorite player"
    Mark - "Mine too!"
    RockHawk
    * NET Landlord *

• RockHawk wrote:This was purposeful as we move to make the experience better for the mobile devices, but those of us with computers aren't going to be completely left behind. Part of the work will be to release enhancements periodically which we hope will address some of the most common requests so watch for that.

While I can appreciate this, anyone who is viewing this site on a mobile device that is NOT using Tapatalk is crazy and a glutton for punishment, IMHO.
    Chrome_Seahawk
    NET Starter

Re: dotNetTwentyFourteen Feature Requests
Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:02 am
  • Chrome_Seahawk wrote:
    RockHawk wrote:This was purposeful as we move to make the experience better for the mobile devices, but those of us with computers aren't going to be completely left behind. Part of the work will be to release enhancements periodically which we hope will address some of the most common requests so watch for that.

While I can appreciate this, anyone who is viewing this site on a mobile device that is NOT using Tapatalk is crazy and a glutton for punishment, IMHO.

Tapatalk is a third party application, which doesn't necessarily take our security and data integrity as seriously as we do, so as Tapatalk continues to make questionable decisions as far as a development cycle goes, there may start to be issues with the level of integration that exists between Tapatalk and Seahawks.NET.
    Anguish
    * NET Developer *

Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:07 am
  • I don't like Tapatalk and it causes problems with my phone's software.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:07 am
  • MizzouHawkGal wrote:I don't like Tapatalk and it causes problems with my phone's software.

With this in mind, is there another application software that works with per se a droid phone...it is not a
    dial up phone, too. :16:

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    Gollum had a ring...Bilbo took it...Frodo had it...Gollum got it back.
    Gollum never had OUR ring.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:26 am
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    MizzouHawkGal wrote:I don't like Tapatalk and it causes problems with my phone's software.

With this in mind, is there another application software that works with per se a droid phone...it is not a

My phone is at least 2-3 generations behind the current because I don't want to be in a contract or pay over $40 a month for a phone.;)
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:29 am
  • I lost my Percy avi :(
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:39 am
  • Site looks AMAZEBALLS via Chrome on my Android phone. Leaps and bounds, ages and empires better than the old site. Bravo.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:48 am
  • Chrome_Seahawk wrote:
    RockHawk wrote:This was purposeful as we move to make the experience better for the mobile devices, but those of us with computers aren't going to be completely left behind. Part of the work will be to release enhancements periodically which we hope will address some of the most common requests so watch for that.

On phone sure. On a tablet, the site is far superior. If you look at my pics on page 1, that a on an ipad. Notice there is no extra width. It fits to the screen correctly.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:55 am
  • Feature request: more sideboob.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:33 pm
  • im pretty positive this has been said but, I'm gunna throw it in anyways due to.. its really the only thing that bugs me. The threads font seems to be bold.. maybe when we've read a thread change it to wolf grey or unbold. Because there are times I just forget what thread I was in and so far I've reread a few of them haha.
    Conference Championships: NFC: 2005, 2013
    Division Campionships: AFC West: 1988, 1999 NFC West: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013
    Superbowl Championships: 2013 XLVIII Final Score: Sea 43 Den 8.. SUCK IT

The Radish
    Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:10 pm: Please don't offend The Fonz like that. :roll:
    Exittium
    NET Veteran

• MizzouHawkGal wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    MizzouHawkGal wrote:I don't like Tapatalk and it causes problems with my phone's software.

My phone is at least 2-3 generations behind the current because I don't want to be in a contract or pay over $40 a month for a phone.;)

I agree with you on that point. I have the droid x2. I only got it because my old flip phone died on me. I still hate the user I am with for doing that only this program thing. I have my old OLD OLLLDDDD....Broadband card and am paying more than necessary for it...but it is unlimited for what I am paying for it. I am gonna stay with it as long as I can. Oh well...Tapatalk is what it is from the SEAFRAMILY. (Seahawks friends and family..he he he)
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Where is the forum button? I used that all the time to skip between forums.
    "I don't know what you're talking about." GT
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

• I recall that you had an established date when .net was born. 1983? There is a lot of history here and that should be displayed. Throwing it out there.
    Jay-Dog
    NET Rookie

• Jay-Dog wrote:I recall that you had an established date when .net was born. 1983? There is a lot of history here and that should be displayed. Throwing it out there.

It's actually EST 1998 (still a LOT of history, trust me).

Here is my similar query and the answer.....

Aros wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:First thing I want to say is that so far I LOVE the new look. I was hesitant, because I've grown quite fond of Todd's work, but this place looks great. As for the features and such, I plan to just post as normal for awhile before I decide if there's any requests I want to make. Want to let the changes soak in a bit first.

On to the one thing that still is nagging at me, and it's not any of the changes that were made last night, but the one change I've been waiting for and have yet to see. I really am curious as to when the EST. 1998 (or something similar) is going to get added to the header graphic or perhaps somewhere else on the site? If it's there, I'm not seeing it and I had thought it was already a given that it was going to be a part of this.

Other than that minor little nagging detail. Great job on the new digs. All of the hard work is definitely appreciated

Andrew - who made the winning header graphic - is sending me an updated version with the Est. 1998 on it. I will pass it on to Anguish to kindly overwrite the current.

I can see the points about the new fixed width posting area but I really like on my wide screen how I can see the Sacred Century Link cradling the main section...Hopefully we stick with it. I think it's one of the things that we will grow accustomed to, IMO.

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• On the left side where the avatars are I thought the feather pattern fading out might look nice...Something like this...

Any how, it's just a thought...

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• TriCHawk wrote:Where is the forum button? I used that all the time to skip between forums.

Ahh the . NET index button on the left edge. Use that one. You will see that on that line is the page you are on.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Hasselbeck wrote:First of all.. HOLY CRAP.. this new design looks incredible!

One feature I've always kind of wanted is the ability to thank/add reputation to a post .. A lot of forums have this and its cool. Kind of similar to "liking" something on Facebook.

Thats my only two cents, otherwise this looks incredible

I came to request a "rec" button- PLEEEEEAAASE
    "Your Seattle Seahawks, 2013-14 World Champions"
    Adopt A Rookie 2014-15 - Kevin Pierre-Louis
    Adopt-A-Red-Shirt 2014-15 Christine Micheal
    Previously known as megamanflx1
    Seahawkscrazy
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:On the left side where the avatars are I thought the feather pattern fading out might look nice...Something like this...

Yes, This would be cool, if it's not a staggering amount of work to implement.
    "Your Seattle Seahawks, 2013-14 World Champions"
    Adopt A Rookie 2014-15 - Kevin Pierre-Louis
    Adopt-A-Red-Shirt 2014-15 Christine Micheal
    Previously known as megamanflx1
    Seahawkscrazy
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:On the left side where the avatars are I thought the feather pattern fading out might look nice...Something like this...

Now that is fancy!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

I love that pattern. DO IT!!!! It provides a nice subtle contrast, (I just wish you could still see the stadium while you're inside a thread). It's no biggie but that background is beautiful.
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• The background image of the CLink shouln't scroll. It's a great look, but you lose it after you scroll, then it's bland
    TzarokHawkFan
    Board Lurker
    Member of the Seahawks Nation Since - May 9, 1981
    TzarokHawkFan
    NET Rookie

• TzarokHawkFan wrote:The background image of the CLink shouln't scroll. It's a great look, but you lose it after you scroll, then it's bland

+1
    DesiHawk
    * NET Desi *

Fri May 02, 2014 11:45 am
  • If it's feasible, please link the Seahawks logo eye/Super Bowl logo to return back to the index page. I know the .net banner is linked, but intuitively I keep trying to click in that upper left spot.

Thanks.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• sc85sis wrote:If it's feasible, please link the Seahawks logo eye/Super Bowl logo to return back to the index page. I know the .net banner is linked, but intuitively I keep trying to click in that upper left spot.

Thanks.

Heh. Yea. Same, or probably even worse, for the XLVIII emblem. Speaking of which, it looks a little funny floating there like that without the bottom touching or just over that bottom line. Just me?
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• This might not be a feature request, but I do have some basic design requests (for ease of reading)

add 10px padding to (ul.topiclist li)
    remove bold from (a.topictitle)
    change border color to #152f4c on (.postbody)
    add 10px padding-bottom to (.postbody)
    change border-top color to #152f4c on (.post-icons)

Just my humble opinions!

Also would like to see the title/.dotnet-cat-head removed from replies to threads (or at least not so prominent). It kind of looks like new, separate topics each time I scroll.
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• DesiHawk wrote:
    TzarokHawkFan wrote:The background image of the CLink shouln't scroll. It's a great look, but you lose it after you scroll, then it's bland

+1

That would be cool but the background (with the clink) is actually the same image as the background to the nav bar and the rest of the top

link --> styles/dotNet_twentythirteen/theme/assets/i/2014_dotnet_bg_sbpatch_eye.jpg

It would mean a whole lot of re-writing if they did that!

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• Anguish wrote:
    Cartire wrote:Wow, and the pictures no longer fit to width. So you can't see the donations button gripe as the pics are all cut off on the right.

Click on one of the pictures...

I think if you just add a 'max-width: 100%' to 'img' you'll be set without the cutoff. To make sure it doesn't screw anything else up you could put it ( .postbody img { max-width:100%: } )

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri May 02, 2014 10:22 pm
  • Ah, changes look wonderful :).

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• I would really love to see some space between each thread. As it is right now (and especially as the main body isn't screen wide like the old site). The posts all jumble together. Here's a visual of what I mean. Note the space in the threads of mine and Hawkstorian just as an example.
    Attachments
    space.jpg

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Well Aros, seems like you got your wish about the extra space. :th2thumbs:
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Hey! How about that! Looks much better! Thanks Neal!

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Is there a way to add new/active/your posts links to the drop down menu at the bottom? I use those a lot and its kind of a pain to school scroll up or click out to the current form too access those links at the top of the page...
    Love the functionality of that drop down menu though!
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

• looks very nice.
    Minne
    NET Veteran

• One thing that bugged me was that I couldn't tell where a message stopped and the sig began. I finally noticed a subtle line separating them, but the color choices make it so subtle that it's practically invisible. As much as I dislike the whole lime-green thing, this seems like a good place for it - that really thin line in lime green on the blue of the message would be a nice accent, I think.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Wed May 07, 2014 12:43 am
  • GeekHawk wrote:One thing that bugged me was that I couldn't tell where a message stopped and the sig began. I finally noticed a subtle line separating them, but the color choices make it so subtle that it's practically invisible. As much as I dislike the whole lime-green thing, this seems like a good place for it - that really thin line in lime green on the blue of the message would be a nice accent, I think.

I definitely second that motion
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

• dunceface wrote:Is there a way to add new/active/your posts links to the drop down menu at the bottom? I use those a lot and its kind of a pain to school scroll up or click out to the current form too access those links at the top of the page...
    Love the functionality of that drop down menu though!

Oh and thanks for throwing those links down at the bottom....just noticed!
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

• New site looks great! My only peeve, and this is nothing to do with the new layout, but.. When you click a link in a thread, can you have it default to opening in a new tab? I know I can right click ---> open link in new tab, but I forget then I get lost and forget I was at .net.. next thing you know there's naked girls everywhere.. not that there's anything wrong with that
    Aerik
    NET Practice Squad

Thu May 08, 2014 10:46 am
  • Aerik wrote:New site looks great! My only peeve, and this is nothing to do with the new layout, but.. When you click a link in a thread, can you have it default to opening in a new tab? I know I can right click ---> open link in new tab, but I forget then I get lost and forget I was at .net.. next thing you know there's naked girls everywhere.. not that there's anything wrong with that

Just click the link with your mouse wheel/middle mouse button. That will open it in a new tab.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu May 08, 2014 12:09 pm
  • The only feature I'd like to see is a contrast in the background color of each thread. Since it's only one color it can be hard on my eyes so if there was a lighter blue or gray that could be used for every other thread in the forum's list, that'd be awesome.

Otherwise Neal, you have outdone yourself! Looks and functions like a champ
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• I would like to see some indication of the threads I responded to. I can see those I have read but cannot determine if I replied to the thread.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• drdiags wrote:I would like to see some indication of the threads I responded to. I can see those I have read but cannot determine if I replied to the thread.

Start lobbying the icon makers to get on the stick. It's in their hands now.
    Anguish
    * NET Developer *

• drdiags wrote:I would like to see some indication of the threads I responded to. I can see those I have read but cannot determine if I replied to the thread.

It's a teeny, tiny small green dot on the top right corner of the icon. It's basically not there even though it is. I also have requested the change to make it more apparent.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

• Small request. On hte "Quick Reply" screen, the Submit button and the Main Editor buttons are switched.

I've clicked the wrong button several times. On the other post edit screens, the Submit button are all on the right.

Could that be changed to be consistant?
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Previous

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:54 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE ARCHIVES ]

Information