Whitehurst vs. Draft QB of the Future Rationalization

A collection of NET's best and most memorable threads. Predictions, debates, laughs, and X's & O's. Rating: PG to NC-17
  • Well ...... Seattle has had a much better day than San Francisco.

    Looks like they have lost their general manager which could really upset their draft >>> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12756
    User avatar
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 3636
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm



  • You guys checked out the Chargers forums for the hell of it?
    Kind of interesting, got on http://www.bolttalk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21809 and was checking out SD's forums. In a nut shell;

    Started out with posts like this:

    "I seriously doubt a 3rd round tender would be gotten for Charlie.
    I mean seriously we just traded a former pro-bowl CB in Cromartie for a 3rd round tender. The thought of a guy who has taken a handful of snaps at the pro level after 4 years, doesn't really add up to getting a 3rd rounder for him.
    Not saying some desperate team wouldn't just saying it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY."

    and

    "I would gladly give him up for a 3rd.
    I din't think that it will happen though."

    and

    "Maybe we get a fifth or sixth rounder. Maybe a fourth next year."

    Most current posts looks like this:

    "Suck on that all you AJ doubters.""

    and

    "A.J. SMITH IS GOD !!!!!!

    ALL WHO DOUBT WILL BE CAST DOWN INTO THE BOWELS OF THE FORUM

    POSTERS SHOULD GET ON THEIR KNEES !!!"

    And....wait for it.....


    "HAHAHAHAHA OMG

    Its a great feeling to come home after a long day and see that AJ moved us up 20 spots in the 2nd, and got us an extra 3rd next year for a guy who has never thrown a pass in the NFL."


    Enough said. What does it mean? Nothing of course....I just wish ONE of our threads could share even a resemblance to theirs. First Seneca, then Tapp, Now this....
    God, I hope my frustrations are unfounded.
    User avatar
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1068
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:11 am
    Location: Utah


  • rjdriver wrote:You guys checked out the Chargers forums for the hell of it?
    Kind of interesting, got on http://www.bolttalk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21809 and was checking out SD's forums. In a nut shell;

    Started out with posts like this:

    "I seriously doubt a 3rd round tender would be gotten for Charlie.
    I mean seriously we just traded a former pro-bowl CB in Cromartie for a 3rd round tender. The thought of a guy who has taken a handful of snaps at the pro level after 4 years, doesn't really add up to getting a 3rd rounder for him.
    Not saying some desperate team wouldn't just saying it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY."

    and

    "I would gladly give him up for a 3rd.
    I din't think that it will happen though."

    and

    "Maybe we get a fifth or sixth rounder. Maybe a fourth next year."

    Most current posts looks like this:

    "Suck on that all you AJ doubters.""

    and

    "A.J. SMITH IS GOD !!!!!!

    ALL WHO DOUBT WILL BE CAST DOWN INTO THE BOWELS OF THE FORUM

    POSTERS SHOULD GET ON THEIR KNEES !!!"

    And....wait for it.....


    "HAHAHAHAHA OMG

    Its a great feeling to come home after a long day and see that AJ moved us up 20 spots in the 2nd, and got us an extra 3rd next year for a guy who has never thrown a pass in the NFL."


    Enough said. What does it mean? Nothing of course....I just wish ONE of our threads could share even a resemblance to theirs. First Seneca, then Tapp, Now this....
    God, I hope my frustrations are unfounded.


    It's not. Only the sheep on this forum are out sugar coating the deal.

    I would be partying if I was a Chargers fan as well. It was a total coupe by their GM.
    My hair is a banshee, your argument is invalid.

    http://www.seahawknation.net
    User avatar
    prelag
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 571
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
    Location: Las Vegas, NV


  • It's only natural for the SD fans to be stoked; they flat-out didn't need the guy. They have a stud at starting QB and a more than capable #2 still on the roster. I don't believe those comments are an indictment of Whitehurst's abilities.
    User avatar
    six sigma
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 169
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 11:03 pm
    Location: Longview


  • prelag wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:
    No, by my logic, we shouldn't get all worked up over spending a late 2nd/early 3rd round on a prospective starting QB just because he has no NFL regular season experience precisely because teams do it all the time. And they often do it with higher stakes, spending earlier picks and more guaranteed money.


    Examples of teams that have given up as much or more then we have for a 3rd string QB, in our case, one with no game experience I might add. Hell, has there been a team this year to use anything higher then a 3rd on a FA QB?

    Also, how is the #40 a late second? Its an early 2nd. Early enough to draft a stud RB or safety.


    You keep calling Whitehurst a 3rd-string QB, but rookies in the draft are NO string QBs until they're brought in. They haven't even proven they can make an NFL roster.

    The total value of the picks traded for Whitehurst is worth a late 2nd/early 3rd. It's not like we just tossed our 2nd round pick away. We got #60 in return, which is a late 2nd. Combine that with the 2011 3rd, and the value comes out to around the 2nd round/3rd round border. And by the way, you can still get "stud" players at the end of the 2nd, just as easily as you can get a bust early in the 1st.
    Image

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8175
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
    Location: Right outside Richard Sherman's house


  • The Hawks overpaid. Very few would dispute that. But the FO obviously identified QB as a need and weren't satisfied with any of the guys in the draft. Seeing all the question marks covering their grades I can easily agree with Carroll and company. There just isn't anyone there to get excited about, especially for a 1st round pick. So the question becomes, should they ignore the hole and wait until next year, or try to fill it with the guy they like the most and can get.

    The FO obviously likes Whitehurst, and I haven't seen enough yet to judge their evaluation skills one way or another. As I said is a previous thread, this move will go along ways in defining this regime. But those who want to call Whitehurst a bum are not giving the move a fair shake. Let's see what he looks like in a Hawks uniform before condemning the pickup.
    Tall men come down to my height when I hit 'em in the body.

    Jack Dempsey
    User avatar
    Fuzzman55
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1575
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 3:10 pm


  • volsunghawk wrote:
    prelag wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:
    No, by my logic, we shouldn't get all worked up over spending a late 2nd/early 3rd round on a prospective starting QB just because he has no NFL regular season experience precisely because teams do it all the time. And they often do it with higher stakes, spending earlier picks and more guaranteed money.


    Examples of teams that have given up as much or more then we have for a 3rd string QB, in our case, one with no game experience I might add. Hell, has there been a team this year to use anything higher then a 3rd on a FA QB?

    Also, how is the #40 a late second? Its an early 2nd. Early enough to draft a stud RB or safety.


    You keep calling Whitehurst a 3rd-string QB, but rookies in the draft are NO string QBs until they're brought in. They haven't even proven they can make an NFL roster.

    The total value of the picks traded for Whitehurst is worth a late 2nd/early 3rd. It's not like we just tossed our 2nd round pick away. We got #60 in return, which is a late 2nd. Combine that with the 2011 3rd, and the value comes out to around the 2nd round/3rd round border. And by the way, you can still get "stud" players at the end of the 2nd, just as easily as you can get a bust early in the 1st.


    Thats all fine and dandy, but you avoided my question.

    Post some QB's that have gone for 2nd round picks in the past 5 years.
    My hair is a banshee, your argument is invalid.

    http://www.seahawknation.net
    User avatar
    prelag
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 571
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
    Location: Las Vegas, NV


  • I say we bring back Alexander anyone else notice that we didnt start losing till we booted him out the door. And how come LT can have a few injured seasons and he still gets picked up and Shaun didnt. I really hope Carrol can right the ship but I already miss the Holmgren era and its only been one season. Seattle fell too hard too fast.
    dentonmorganjay
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 2
    Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:42 pm


  • Great post RJDriver. I was looking for some Chargers fans reaction. That is priceless.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11210
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


  • I have a feeling he could be the equivalent to hass. What had hass done under the shadow of farve before we brought him to Seattle? I have a feeling whitehurst could do the same job and susrpise a lot of people. Guy has simply been playing behind one of the elite backs in the league...and had to move to get the opportunity to show what he could do. I wish we had not given up the number 40....but i still feel he could be a bargain.
    User avatar
    glasgow seahawks
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 330
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:01 pm


  • Bigpumpkin wrote:A reincarnation if I've ever seen one!!


    Wait...Barry Gibb is dead? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    User avatar
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2144
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:04 pm


  • Schefter retweeted this from some random user:

    Yeah, Whitehurst will be 28yo at the start of season! He's older then Aaron Rodgers also!


    The Hawks are taking a beating on this deal from everyone all around. It really isn't helping me be more positive about it.
    User avatar
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 4639
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:35 am
    Location: Seattle, WA


  • SeaTown81 wrote:Schefter retweeted this from some random user:

    Yeah, Whitehurst will be 28yo at the start of season! He's older then Aaron Rodgers also!


    The Hawks are taking a beating on this deal from everyone all around. It really isn't helping me be more positive about it.


    Well, if it makes you feel any better, if he works out great, he's only under contract for 2 years and will be a URFA at 30.

    .... No - seriously - I need a drink.
    Remembering rookies will play like rookies, since 2012.
    User avatar
    JerHawk81
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1460
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:13 am
    Location: Portland, OR


  • SeaTown81 wrote:The Hawks are taking a beating on this deal from everyone all around. It really isn't helping me be more positive about it.

    Yeah, pretty much every team board I've gone on since the news broke has had a "What the F are the Seahawks doing?" thread. I like the move, but I know if it was another team doing it, I'd probably be laughing. It's a very unusual acquisition, but that's what I like about it.
    User avatar
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 3555
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:42 pm
    Location: St. Louis, MO


  • I see the same thing as you all, right now the Seahawks are getting laughed at. I guess those that complain the Seahawks aren't getting talked about got their wish, just not the way they wanted it...
    Image Image
    User avatar
    AF_Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2128
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:18 pm
    Location: Marysville, WA


  • Just listened to the ESPN radio thing (it was the Kevin Calabro show but he wasn't there) - stunned about the negativity on there. Some guy said he was disappointed because #40 would've been a good spot for 'Tebow or McCoy' (LOVVVVVVVVVL)... the same guy says it's 'obvious' that Whitehurst was the second choice after Anderson (errr.... NO. That's why Arizona signed him after they lost out on CW). Another guy called him 'Shaun Whitehurst'. Another was basically screaming down the phone about value and talked about the big drop from 40-60... without ANY justification for his complaints. THERE'S NOT SUCH A BIG DROP OFF FROM 40-60!

    The best case scenario far outweighs the worst case in this deal. So much negativity on that radio show.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8058
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


  • From 40 to 60, BIG DEAL, in the math I learned, that is 20 players. Chances are that we get an impact player there. Wasn't Hamlin taken in about that spot?

    As for Whitehurst, its already been said, that there is something we don't know that the people that do this for a living DO know. Another thing is that With Seneca, it was a sense of dread with him starting, now, its simply an unknown.

    And, guess what?....we still have BOTH 1st round picks !!!!!
    Image

    R.I.P. Brother Les
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 24216
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm
    Location: Freddy's favorite song?....Dream On


  • Oh my god - now JIM MORA is sticking his oar in. 'Matt Hasselbeck deserves better'. Maybe this is the states for you... but in England, when a coach gets fired he either gets another job or he just keeps his head down. He doesn't go on the radio talking about what his replacement is doing with a critical eye.

    What a crock.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8058
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


  • I'm trying to stay positive too guys, but the fact they the Seahawks gave up so much for someone we really don't know anything about is disappointing. However, I'd rather take a chance on Whitehurst with the contract they gave him then an expensive one that doesn't pan out. In this league, if your first round QB choice doesn't work out, you just screwed yourself for about 4-6 years.
    Image Image
    User avatar
    AF_Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2128
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:18 pm
    Location: Marysville, WA


  • What the french.....toast! Seriously, why are we giving players away for cheap and paying so much for others?!

    What's wrong with Teel? How is this guy any different than him?

    This is wrong in so many ways. Obviously we all hope this turns into another Hass (of '04-'07 with an OL) and it turns out to be a steal. But, right now it's ridiculous!
    Image

    My nickname for Wilson....Silent Russassin. He's calm and collective and will KILL you silently. No smack talk, no warning, kills you silently while getting the job done!
    depecheSeahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 634
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:22 am
    Location: Lacey, WA


  • depecheSeahawk wrote:What the french.....toast! Seriously, why are we giving players away for cheap and paying so much for others?!

    What's wrong with Teel? How is this guy any different than him?

    This is wrong in so many ways. Obviously we all hope this turns into another Hass (of '04-'07 with an OL) and it turns out to be a steal. But, right now it's ridiculous!



    Whitehurst was drafted in the third round and has worked with a great offensive coach.

    Teel, who was largely expected to go undrafted, was selected in the 6th round by Tim Ruskell and has had one year working with Greg Knapp.

    The worst case scenario is seattle gave up a bit of draft stock. The best case scenario is - QB position sewn up. The potential pro's far outweigh the con's.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8058
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


  • Charlie Whitehurst is 27 soon to be 28 but the fact he has not played and has not been beaten, battered, and bruised he is basically 24 or 25 in football years so i likie this more and more. I don't know if we got a 3rd or not but i think he will be a great player for us. :3:
    bighawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 556
    Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:44 am


  • Is he really getting $5mil a year? What the hell has he done to derserve that much?! Did Charlie come here wearing a Favre costume?
    Image

    My nickname for Wilson....Silent Russassin. He's calm and collective and will KILL you silently. No smack talk, no warning, kills you silently while getting the job done!
    depecheSeahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 634
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:22 am
    Location: Lacey, WA


  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Maybe this is the states for you... but in England, when a coach gets fired he either gets another job or he just keeps his head down. He doesn't go on the radio talking about what his replacement is doing with a critical eye.


    NOT THE STATES.

    This is very strange what Mora's been doing. And HIGHLY annoying. JUST GO AWAY!!!
    User avatar
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 4639
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:35 am
    Location: Seattle, WA


  • depecheSeahawk wrote:Is he really getting $5mil a year? What the hell has he done to derserve that much?! Did Charlie come here wearing a Favre costume?



    So what?

    Seriously - let's just give the guy a chance. It won't 'make or break' the new regime. It's a calculated gamble with greater potential upside than what we gave up. Don't get all the negativity.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8058
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Oh my god - now JIM MORA is sticking his oar in. 'Matt Hasselbeck deserves better'. Maybe this is the states for you... but in England, when a coach gets fired he either gets another job or he just keeps his head down. He doesn't go on the radio talking about what his replacement is doing with a critical eye.

    What a crock.

    LMAO! What a freaking hypocrite! Wasn't Mora the one talking like a month ago about how he wanted Sanchez over Curry?
    User avatar
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 3555
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:42 pm
    Location: St. Louis, MO


  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:The worst case scenario is seattle gave up a bit of draft stock. The best case scenario is - QB position sewn up. The potential pro's far outweigh the con's.


    I agree that best-case scenario here is much more good than worst-case scenario is bad. But what are the odds of each? The odds that we lose draft currency is 100%. The odds that we get a good QB (I'm not even saying Pro Bowl, just above average) are what, 25% at best? I don't think anyone has any evidence that this guy has a 50-50 chance of being a good starting QB.
    We want the ball and we're gonna score.
    User avatar
    LawHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3143
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:04 pm


  • LawHawk wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:The worst case scenario is seattle gave up a bit of draft stock. The best case scenario is - QB position sewn up. The potential pro's far outweigh the con's.


    I agree that best-case scenario here is much more good than worst-case scenario is bad. But what are the odds of each? The odds that we lose draft currency is 100%. The odds that we get a good QB (I'm not even saying Pro Bowl, just above average) are what, 25% at best? I don't think anyone has any evidence that this guy has a 50-50 chance of being a good starting QB.


    When you draft a player you lose that draft currency too, with no assurances that the player will work out for you.

    So what is your point?
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 9712
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


  • Tech Worlds wrote:When you draft a player you lose that draft currency too, with no assurances that the player will work out for you.

    So what is your point?



    Exactly.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8058
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    depecheSeahawk wrote:Is he really getting $5mil a year? What the hell has he done to derserve that much?! Did Charlie come here wearing a Favre costume?



    So what?

    Seriously - let's just give the guy a chance. It won't 'make or break' the new regime. It's a calculated gamble with greater potential upside than what we gave up. Don't get all the negativity.


    I'm with you here, we all think we could have received more and given less to get him. If San Diego was really that fond of him to tender him a 3rd rounder then I'm sure this risk was worth it, at least I hope it was... :180670:
    Image Image
    User avatar
    AF_Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2128
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:18 pm
    Location: Marysville, WA


  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    So what?

    Seriously - let's just give the guy a chance. It won't 'make or break' the new regime. It's a calculated gamble with greater potential upside than what we gave up. Don't get all the negativity.


    $5mil is a lot for an unproven rookie. This guy is an unproven pro. Seriously, just seems like a lot of money for a guy who wasn't even someones SECOND string QB. How do people not see the negativity in that. Believe me, I hope this guy is the next Favre that ATL didn't want and traded to GB. I just don't get why SEA gave so much for this guy and let Wallace walk for SO MUCH less. I just don't get it.
    Image

    My nickname for Wilson....Silent Russassin. He's calm and collective and will KILL you silently. No smack talk, no warning, kills you silently while getting the job done!
    depecheSeahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 634
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:22 am
    Location: Lacey, WA


  • rjdriver wrote:You guys checked out the Chargers forums for the hell of it?
    Kind of interesting, got on http://www.bolttalk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21809 and was checking out SD's forums. In a nut shell;

    Started out with posts like this:

    "I seriously doubt a 3rd round tender would be gotten for Charlie.
    I mean seriously we just traded a former pro-bowl CB in Cromartie for a 3rd round tender. The thought of a guy who has taken a handful of snaps at the pro level after 4 years, doesn't really add up to getting a 3rd rounder for him.
    Not saying some desperate team wouldn't just saying it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY."

    and

    "I would gladly give him up for a 3rd.
    I din't think that it will happen though."

    and

    "Maybe we get a fifth or sixth rounder. Maybe a fourth next year."

    Most current posts looks like this:

    "Suck on that all you AJ doubters.""

    and

    "A.J. SMITH IS GOD !!!!!!

    ALL WHO DOUBT WILL BE CAST DOWN INTO THE BOWELS OF THE FORUM

    POSTERS SHOULD GET ON THEIR KNEES !!!"

    And....wait for it.....


    "HAHAHAHAHA OMG

    Its a great feeling to come home after a long day and see that AJ moved us up 20 spots in the 2nd, and got us an extra 3rd next year for a guy who has never thrown a pass in the NFL."


    Enough said. What does it mean? Nothing of course....I just wish ONE of our threads could share even a resemblance to theirs. First Seneca, then Tapp, Now this....
    God, I hope my frustrations are unfounded.


    Good for them, they should be happy. Their team stockpiled some very good QB's, and other teams(us) who are desperate for QB's came calling. They got some value for a player that was buried on the depth chart. Good for the Chargers. Their fans should be happy.

    But you know what? Good for us as well. We potentially got a good QB who might start for us for a drop down in the second round and a 3rd. If CW plays well, it's a steal for us too. Right? I would hope as fans of the Seahawks we can be excited to see what this guy can do, he has all the potential in the world. Have some faith.

    Not all trades have to be one sides, this could be beneficial for both teams down the road.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    User avatar
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5436
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:41 am
    Location: Ballard


  • HAWKNUTZ wrote:I find it hard to believe that the eagles would not have taken this years 2nd and next years 3rd for kolb but I could be wrong but if they would have I would much rather had kolb!! What a joke of a deal!!! I wonder if we are in neg. with the peirce county bengals now to land a couple of there guys LMAO!

    A friend of mine once said that his chances of winning the lottery are only slightly less than someone who actually plays. It seems to me that that's about the difference between Kolb and Whitehurst -- or at least, the difference between their respective available NFL film.

    WHY on earth are you still pimping Kolb as the would-have-been deal to save our franchise, yet in a roundabout way comparing Whitehurst to Pierce County Bengal players?
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    User avatar
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *
     
    Posts: 7444
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:06 am
    Location: Eastern Washington


  • depecheSeahawk wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    So what?

    Seriously - let's just give the guy a chance. It won't 'make or break' the new regime. It's a calculated gamble with greater potential upside than what we gave up. Don't get all the negativity.


    $5mil is a lot for an unproven rookie. This guy is an unproven pro. Seriously, just seems like a lot of money for a guy who wasn't even someones SECOND string QB. How do people not see the negativity in that. Believe me, I hope this guy is the next Favre that ATL didn't want and traded to GB. I just don't get why SEA gave so much for this guy and let Wallace walk for SO MUCH less. I just don't get it.


    I don't think 5 million a year for a QB that they think is starter quality is too much. I really don't.

    We paid for CW because we think he has potential. That commands a higher trade value.

    Wallace has no potential, everyone has seen what he can do, you're not going to win games with that guy. As a full time starter he is not going to get a team into the playoffs. The only value he had was to Holmgren because he knows his offense. And from the trade value we got from him, Holmgren didn't care that much even then.

    I just don't get the confusion here.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    User avatar
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5436
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:41 am
    Location: Ballard


  • depecheSeahawk wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    So what?

    Seriously - let's just give the guy a chance. It won't 'make or break' the new regime. It's a calculated gamble with greater potential upside than what we gave up. Don't get all the negativity.


    $5mil is a lot for an unproven rookie. This guy is an unproven pro. Seriously, just seems like a lot of money for a guy who wasn't even someones SECOND string QB. How do people not see the negativity in that. Believe me, I hope this guy is the next Favre that ATL didn't want and traded to GB. I just don't get why SEA gave so much for this guy and let Wallace walk for SO MUCH less. I just don't get it.


    $5million is a FRACTION of what we would have paid for a top rookie QB. As for the third stringer comments, please get over it. He was behind one of the best QBs in the league, and a pretty damn good veteran. What do you want him to do about it, he didn't get to pick where he was drafted. The reason why Seattle gave what the did for Whitehurst, and got so little for Seneca is....someone actually wanted Whitehurst, no one wanted Seneca. I don't get why people keep comparing the two deals, they are miles apart. Seneca had no value to us, and obviously no value to anyone else.
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    User avatar
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *
     
    Posts: 4157
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:06 am


  • prelag wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:For the record, I don't like Clausen one itty bitty bit. And as I pointed out, if Whitehurst proves to be a bust, it's a lot easier to move on from the Whitehurst experiment than from a kid you gave 6 years and $70 million. I say Whitehurst will be a starter soon enough because Hasselbeck's contract is done in one year and he's not getting any younger. Plus, he has an injury history a mile long. Isn't that why we were looking for a QB in the first place? As of right now, the only damn thing we're talking about is potential. You're betting on a guy who's proven even less than Whitehurst has, at significantly higher stakes.


    How costly will it be if the Whitehurst experiment doesn't pan out? Will we become the Cleveland Browns forever intertwined in a QB carousal?

    If we need to draft a franchise QB in the not-too-distant future, there's a good chance we'll be doing it with a predetermined rookie salary structure or rookie salary cap in place.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    User avatar
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *
     
    Posts: 7444
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:06 am
    Location: Eastern Washington


  • Some people have turned this into a debate about whether Clausen or Whitehurst will be the better QB. IMO, it's not really a relevant question unless one of them ends up really sucking. The predominant question going into the draft was how we were going to address our QB situation -- regardless of the deal, the fact is that we addressed the situation before the draft, rather than taking a chance in the draft that a QB we would want (Clausen) would be available at #6. If Clausen and Bradford were both gone by #6, we would have been scrambling to find someone else worthwhile in a later round that we would likely be forced to rely on, sooner rather than later. As it is, the Seahawks were proactive in addressing the situation, and I find comfort in that. Besides, we could still draft someone like Canfield.

    One other thing. We have discussed Clausen ad nauseum on this board, including the fact that Pete Carroll scouted him for a long time and tried to recruit him. The same could very well be true of Whitehurst. He started his college career during Carroll's reign at USC, so there's a good chance that Carroll is actually more familiar with Whitehurst than most NFL coaches are.


    twisted_steel2 wrote:Good for them, they should be happy. Their team stockpiled some very good QB's, and other teams(us) who are desperate for QB's came calling. They got some value for a player that was buried on the depth chart. Good for the Chargers. Their fans should be happy.

    But you know what? Good for us as well. We potentially got a good QB who might start for us for a drop down in the second round and a 3rd. If CW plays well, it's a steal for us too. Right? I would hope as fans of the Seahawks we can be excited to see what this guy can do, he has all the potential in the world. Have some faith.

    Not all trades have to be one sides, this could be beneficial for both teams down the road.

    Well stated!
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    User avatar
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *
     
    Posts: 7444
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:06 am
    Location: Eastern Washington


  • Since Whitehurst would have been an UFA next year anyway (when we could have pursued him without having to trade anything), our staff has got to either think he'll compete for the starting job this year or will get significant time due to Hasselbeck sucking/being injuried.

    Right? Or is there some element of this equation I'm not getting. I guess there's a chance we just want him around for a year (learning offense, etc.) before he gets his shot.
    “We need to be challenged, ... and we need to be under the gun to respond.” --Pete Carroll
    User avatar
    nanomoz
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 4686
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:20 pm
    Location: UT


  • HawksFTW wrote: $5million is a FRACTION of what we would have paid for a top rookie QB. As for the third stringer comments, please get over it. He was behind one of the best QBs in the league, and a pretty damn good veteran. What do you want him to do about it, he didn't get to pick where he was drafted. The reason why Seattle gave what the did for Whitehurst, and got so little for Seneca is....someone actually wanted Whitehurst, no one wanted Seneca. I don't get why people keep comparing the two deals, they are miles apart. Seneca had no value to us, and obviously no value to anyone else.


    Get over it? So, we should just shut this message board down and post picks, trades etc and have a "In Pete we trust" emoticon for everyone to use. :roll:

    I'm not stupid. I KNOW a top rookie would be a lot more money. I just don't see why he is worth the money. Is SD the capitol of QB World? Billy Volek isn't that great of a QB. Shoot, he was aquired for a 6th round pick.

    I know this is all moot with the comparisons. I just don't understand what our front office sees in this guy. Can anyone tell me? Just because they tender him as a 3rd rounder doesn't mean he is that to everyone but us. They were just trying to get what they could and we bit. Even their fans didn't think anyone would. All I keep reading about is how SEA traded for a guy who hasn't played any real snaps in his NFL career.

    And Twisted, I know I know $5mil would be cheap for a starter. But again, why do we think he will be? What have our guys seen?

    Don't get me wrong. I hope this is a steal. I'm not even saying this is a bad deal. Just wondering what warranted us thinking he's starter material with all the money he's being paid.
    Image

    My nickname for Wilson....Silent Russassin. He's calm and collective and will KILL you silently. No smack talk, no warning, kills you silently while getting the job done!
    depecheSeahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 634
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:22 am
    Location: Lacey, WA


  • depecheSeahawk wrote:
    HawksFTW wrote: $5million is a FRACTION of what we would have paid for a top rookie QB. As for the third stringer comments, please get over it. He was behind one of the best QBs in the league, and a pretty damn good veteran. What do you want him to do about it, he didn't get to pick where he was drafted. The reason why Seattle gave what the did for Whitehurst, and got so little for Seneca is....someone actually wanted Whitehurst, no one wanted Seneca. I don't get why people keep comparing the two deals, they are miles apart. Seneca had no value to us, and obviously no value to anyone else.


    Get over it? So, we should just shut this message board down and post picks, trades etc and have a "In Pete we trust" emoticon for everyone to use. :roll:

    I'm not stupid. I KNOW a top rookie would be a lot more money. I just don't see why he is worth the money. Is SD the capitol of QB World? Billy Volek isn't that great of a QB. Shoot, he was aquired for a 6th round pick.

    I know this is all moot with the comparisons. I just don't understand what our front office sees in this guy. Can anyone tell me? Just because they tender him as a 3rd rounder doesn't mean he is that to everyone but us. They were just trying to get what they could and we bit. Even their fans didn't think anyone would. All I keep reading about is how SEA traded for a guy who hasn't played any real snaps in his NFL career.

    And Twisted, I know I know $5mil would be cheap for a starter. But again, why do we think he will be? What have our guys seen?

    Don't get me wrong. I hope this is a steal. I'm not even saying this is a bad deal. Just wondering what warranted us thinking he's starter material with all the money he's being paid.


    Le sigh. Take a look at what Volek did in the regular season in 2004 for Tennessee when he was given the opportunity to start. You should be able to find it at NFL.com or at pro-football-reference.com. He was had for a low pick because he was disgruntled with the Titans for bringing Kerry Collins in, and San Diego took advantage of that. Volek is a whole lot better than most of you seem to understand. And San Diego has a top 5 in the league QB as their first string.

    The point is that "3rd string" in San Diego is not "3rd string" everywhere else in the league. SD happened to have the strongest set of QBs in the entire NFL. Just because Whitehurst couldn't crack the top two in that situation doesn't mean he's a worthless scrub. The Chargers saw potential in Whitehurst when they drafted him. Carroll and Schneider saw potential in Whitehurst when they traded for him. And I, for one, am glad they decided to take a flier on this guy to see if he can be our starter rather than commit a massive contract to one of the garbage QBs in this year's draft (who - guess what - are even MORE unproven than Whitehurst).
    Image

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8175
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
    Location: Right outside Richard Sherman's house


  • volsunghawk wrote: Le sigh. Take a look at what Volek did in the regular season in 2004 for Tennessee when he was given the opportunity to start. You should be able to find it at NFL.com or at pro-football-reference.com. He was had for a low pick because he was disgruntled with the Titans for bringing Kerry Collins in, and San Diego took advantage of that. Volek is a whole lot better than most of you seem to understand. And San Diego has a top 5 in the league QB as their first string.

    The point is that "3rd string" in San Diego is not "3rd string" everywhere else in the league. SD happened to have the strongest set of QBs in the entire NFL. Just because Whitehurst couldn't crack the top two in that situation doesn't mean he's a worthless scrub. The Chargers saw potential in Whitehurst when they drafted him. Carroll and Schneider saw potential in Whitehurst when they traded for him. And I, for one, am glad they decided to take a flier on this guy to see if he can be our starter rather than commit a massive contract to one of the garbage QBs in this year's draft (who - guess what - are even MORE unproven than Whitehurst).


    A big Charlie (no pun intended) Brown UUUUUHHHHGGGG.

    Has anyone read what I asked? I said I know a rookie would be more $ but at least he'd have credentials that would let me know why he was making so much.


    AGAIN, I am just wondering where/when SEA (NOT SD) saw potential in Whitehurst? In college four years ago? In preseason? That's ALL I want to know. Forget the trade blah blah blah. DOES ANYONE KNOW MORE ABOUT HIM OTHER THAN HE WAS A GOOD QB ON A TEAM THAT ALREADY HAD TWO GOOD QBs. Believe me, I understand one third for a team can be a first for us. Just WHY do we think so. That's all. My gosh, I'm not against the guy. (As stated before).
    Last edited by depecheSeahawk on Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Image

    My nickname for Wilson....Silent Russassin. He's calm and collective and will KILL you silently. No smack talk, no warning, kills you silently while getting the job done!
    depecheSeahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 634
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:22 am
    Location: Lacey, WA


  • Depeche,

    They worked him out. They watched him throw passes. THey discussed X's and O's with him. Bates and Carrrell know what they need a in a QB. Just as Holmgren knew what he needeed in a QB. You can't always get that from film. The QB may play in a different system for example. He may not be asked to make the types of throws needed in a different system. Doesnt mean he can't do it.. That's why they work him out. Bottom line Pete is going to get the players he wants to play in his system.. If he needs to justify every move to the fans then we're screwed. In the end the results will speak..
    redeye81
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1253
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:58 pm
    Location: Boise


  • depecheSeahawk wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:.
    Le sigh. Take a look at what Volek did in the regular season in 2004 for Tennessee when he was given the opportunity to start. You should be able to find it at NFL.com or at pro-football-reference.com. He was had for a low pick because he was disgruntled with the Titans for bringing Kerry Collins in, and San Diego took advantage of that. Volek is a whole lot better than most of you seem to understand. And San Diego has a top 5 in the league QB as their first string.

    The point is that "3rd string" in San Diego is not "3rd string" everywhere else in the league. SD happened to have the strongest set of QBs in the entire NFL. Just because Whitehurst couldn't crack the top two in that situation doesn't mean he's a worthless scrub. The Chargers saw potential in Whitehurst when they drafted him. Carroll and Schneider saw potential in Whitehurst when they traded for him. And I, for one, am glad they decided to take a flier on this guy to see if he can be our starter rather than commit a massive contract to one of the garbage QBs in this year's draft (who - guess what - are even MORE unproven than Whitehurst).


    A big Charlie (no pun intended) Brown UUUUUHHHHGGGG.

    Has anyone read what I asked? I said I know a rookie would be more $ but at least he'd have credentials that would let me know why he was making so much.

    AGAIN, I am just wondering where/when SEA (NOT SD) saw potential in Whitehurst? In college four years ago? In preseason? That's ALL I want to know. Forget the trade blah blah blah. DOES ANYONE KNOW MORE ABOUT HIM OTHER THAN HE WAS A GOOD QB ON A TEAM THAT ALREADY HAD TWO GOOD QBs. Believe me, I understand one third for a team can be a first for us. Just WHY do we think so. That's all. My gosh, I'm not against the guy. (As stated before).[/quote]

    I don't understand the logic here. A rookie would have credentials over a veteran? Don't get that at all. Especially when that rookie has yet to set foot in the NFL. While the vet has been in the league and practicing with NFL players for the past 4-5 years. Please explain your rationale because I must be missing something here.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 3798
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    depecheSeahawk wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:.
    Le sigh. Take a look at what Volek did in the regular season in 2004 for Tennessee when he was given the opportunity to start. You should be able to find it at NFL.com or at pro-football-reference.com. He was had for a low pick because he was disgruntled with the Titans for bringing Kerry Collins in, and San Diego took advantage of that. Volek is a whole lot better than most of you seem to understand. And San Diego has a top 5 in the league QB as their first string.

    The point is that "3rd string" in San Diego is not "3rd string" everywhere else in the league. SD happened to have the strongest set of QBs in the entire NFL. Just because Whitehurst couldn't crack the top two in that situation doesn't mean he's a worthless scrub. The Chargers saw potential in Whitehurst when they drafted him. Carroll and Schneider saw potential in Whitehurst when they traded for him. And I, for one, am glad they decided to take a flier on this guy to see if he can be our starter rather than commit a massive contract to one of the garbage QBs in this year's draft (who - guess what - are even MORE unproven than Whitehurst).


    A big Charlie (no pun intended) Brown UUUUUHHHHGGGG.

    Has anyone read what I asked? I said I know a rookie would be more $ but at least he'd have credentials that would let me know why he was making so much.

    AGAIN, I am just wondering where/when SEA (NOT SD) saw potential in Whitehurst? In college four years ago? In preseason? That's ALL I want to know. Forget the trade blah blah blah. DOES ANYONE KNOW MORE ABOUT HIM OTHER THAN HE WAS A GOOD QB ON A TEAM THAT ALREADY HAD TWO GOOD QBs. Believe me, I understand one third for a team can be a first for us. Just WHY do we think so. That's all. My gosh, I'm not against the guy. (As stated before).


    I don't understand the logic here. A rookie would have credentials over a veteran? Don't get that at all. Especially when that rookie has yet to set foot in the NFL. While the vet has been in the league and practicing with NFL players for the past 4-5 years. Please explain your rationale because I must be missing something here.[/quote]


    I agree, your missing something. All of us are..
    User avatar
    hawksmode
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 1139
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:31 am
    Location: Washington


  • Whitehurst is better than any quarterback in this draft and if Hasselbeck gets hurt like he always do then this guy can play right away. The best thing about him to me is his arm strength one pass on the highlight youtube of him he threw a pass from the 10 yard line and the guy caught it on the other side of the fields 30 yard line, the ball was in the air for 60 yards and it looked like he barely flicked his arm, now that is arm strength. He has a quick high and tight release great feet and mobility and he looks like he will be hard to tackle. I am sure that they will trade back and try to get a 3rd and or another second. This team needs playmakers and C.J.Spiller would be great at a trade back from 6 and Charles Brown in a trade back from 14.
    bighawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 556
    Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:44 am


  • redeye81 wrote:Depeche,

    They worked him out. They watched him throw passes. THey discussed X's and O's with him. Bates and Carrrell know what they need a in a QB. Just as Holmgren knew what he needeed in a QB. You can't always get that from film. The QB may play in a different system for example. He may not be asked to make the types of throws needed in a different system. Doesnt mean he can't do it.. That's why they work him out. Bottom line Pete is going to get the players he wants to play in his system.. If he needs to justify every move to the fans then we're screwed. In the end the results will speak..


    I also read that they watched every snap of his on film. Schneider also scouted him coming out of college.

    "We took our time, now. We didn't rush through this judgment at all. We looked at everything. We've seen every snap he's had about three different times."

    Schneider referred to scouting Whitehurst at a workout in 2005 at Clemson and watching him play against Georgia Tech a year later.

    "When you see somebody like this, you've got to take your shot," Schneider said.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    User avatar
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5436
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:41 am
    Location: Ballard


  • bighawk wrote:Whitehurst is better than any quarterback in this draft and if Hasselbeck gets hurt like he always do then this guy can play right away. The best thing about him to me is his arm strength one pass on the highlight youtube of him he threw a pass from the 10 yard line and the guy caught it on the other side of the fields 30 yard line, the ball was in the air for 60 yards and it looked like he barely flicked his arm, now that is arm strength. He has a quick high and tight release great feet and mobility and he looks like he will be hard to tackle. I am sure that they will trade back and try to get a 3rd and or another second. This team needs playmakers and C.J.Spiller would be great at a trade back from 6 and Charles Brown in a trade back from 14.


    Why was he the 3rd QB then? I think that is what is baffling us that are a little bothered by this...If Norv Turner is the great mind..maybe he knows Whitehurst is not that great. I think if AZ did this, we would laugh at them.

    I am looking at this like Obama..I did not want him as pres. but will support him and hope he does well...wait, that is not a good example and might scare some cause he is doing a horrible job!
    User avatar
    hawksmode
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 1139
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:31 am
    Location: Washington


  • hawksmode wrote:
    bighawk wrote:Whitehurst is better than any quarterback in this draft and if Hasselbeck gets hurt like he always do then this guy can play right away. The best thing about him to me is his arm strength one pass on the highlight youtube of him he threw a pass from the 10 yard line and the guy caught it on the other side of the fields 30 yard line, the ball was in the air for 60 yards and it looked like he barely flicked his arm, now that is arm strength. He has a quick high and tight release great feet and mobility and he looks like he will be hard to tackle. I am sure that they will trade back and try to get a 3rd and or another second. This team needs playmakers and C.J.Spiller would be great at a trade back from 6 and Charles Brown in a trade back from 14.


    Why was he the 3rd QB then?


    Again, this has been explained over and over.

    Do I really have to type it again?

    This board is going to make me insane! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! Where's the little icon that shows me losing my mind?

    :dummy: :dummy: :dummy: :dummy: :dummy:
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    User avatar
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5436
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:41 am
    Location: Ballard


  • I think some just don't want to get it.

    I understand if you don't like the move. I can understand that.

    But to not understand why he is a 3rd stringer in San Diego, or why we had to trade so much is just plain laziness.

    San Diego had 3 quality QB's. Whitehurst had the least experience of all of them. We traded what we had to cuz it was a bidding war and we wanted him.

    It's really not that hard to get.
    Hawks are 4-0 when Lynch gets atleast 20 touches.

    Scottemojo wrote:As for the rest of your post, well...you convinced me. You know more than everyone else. I bow to your superior knowledge
    User avatar
    Unsilent_Majority
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1121
    Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:52 am


PreviousNext


It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:42 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE ARCHIVES ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest