Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » NET NATION COMMUNITY CENTER » [ THE ARCHIVES ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Objective look at Hasselbeck
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:46 pm 
NET Veteran

Too slow of a starter nowadays.

He needs to get back to the days when his openning drives scored points.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:48 pm 
NET Veteran

Hass had a bad game. Move on. Last week everyone was praising him. Hawk fans are too up and down. Understand that this is the NFL. Players have bad and good games. Look at Joe Flacco, he threw 4 INT. Favre had 3, Young had 2 as well as a few other veteran QBs.

It happens. Stop crapping on our players when they have a bad game. Unless you can go in there and do a better job.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:49 pm 
NET Veteran

Can only make about half the throws this offense requires.

He's a game manager, not a playmaker in the Bates offense. Problem is, he keeps trying to make plays.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:50 pm 
NET Veteran

If he just had a bad game that would be one thing.

But the mistakes he made are not mistakes that an experienced QB should be making. They're rookie mistakes. Hell, I feel like calling them 'mistakes' is a compliment.

Also, he just can't make the throws that are necessary, and that is a huge problem.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:51 pm 
NET Veteran

Zowert wrote:
Hass had a bad game. Move on. Last week everyone was praising him. Hawk fans are too up and down. Understand that this is the NFL. Players have bad and good games. Look at Joe Flacco, he threw 4 INT. Favre had 3, Young had 2 as well as a few other veteran QBs.

It happens. Stop crapping on our players when they have a bad game. Unless you can go in there and do a better job.

The problem is that lately, Hass' bad games have far outnumbered the good. When that happens it changes from having a bad game to just being bad.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:55 pm 
NET Veteran

Trrrroy wrote:
Zowert wrote:

The problem is that lately, Hass' bad games have far outnumbered the good. When that happens it changes from having a bad game to just being bad.

Lately? This was the second game of the season. He had a stellar game against the Niners and looked good that first drive, until the holding penalty. It killed his and the team's momentum.

It doesn't matter who our QB was. It could be Peyton Manning, and if he had a bad game, everyone would crap on him.

What are we going to do? Put Charlie in? Come on. Hass took this team to its first NFC championship and Superbowl. He may be a little older, but he's still a good QB.

Last edited by Zowert on Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:57 pm 
NET Veteran

Mot sure why he is obsessed with the play down the sideline. Very few throws over the middle and, missed a critical throw late in the 3rd that would have been a difference maker - guy was open by at least 5 years. Bummer. I'm a big Hass fan but watching him live, I have to question his reads on the receivers. Opening drive looked great until he threw the pick. Went downhill from there.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:59 pm 
* NET Moderator *

Today he was simply doing his best Michael Vick impression... both his running and passing ability.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:02 pm 
NET Veteran

MeanBlueGreen wrote:
Mot sure why he is obsessed with the play down the sideline. Very few throws over the middle and, missed a critical throw late in the 3rd that would have been a difference maker - guy was open by at least 5 years. Bummer. I'm a big Hass fan but watching him live, I have to question his reads on the receivers. Opening drive looked great until he threw the pick. Went downhill from there.

Its not that Hass is obsessed with those plays, those were the cards he was delt. Hass isnt necessarily allowed to call audibles like he used to under Holmgren. He gets the play calls and tries to execute them, that's all he can do. Most of the completions Hass made were up the middle anyway, so I dont know what youre talking about.

NET Veteran

It looks to me like Matt reads well, but his actual throws are an adventure.

NET Rookie

Hass is not going to be our quarterback in the future. Honestly, IF this team ends up going on a losing streak, we need to see if CBJ can hack it as the future quarterback or if we need to spend our #1 next year on a QB. The last thing I want to see is this team go 8-8, 7-9 whatever, with Hass at qb, then start CBJ next year only to find out he sucks too.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:03 pm 
NET Pro Bowler

TruFan23 wrote:
I love Hass, but ever since the Super Bowl he`s gone the way of Jake Delhomme or Marc Bulger. Sad, but it`s what has happened.

Actually he basically carried the offense the year after the SB.....28 TDs vs. only 12 ints and a 91.4 rating with Alexander out half the year. Since then though, he's been hurt and/or inconsistent at best and less than inconsistent at worst.

To the barren lands

NET Veteran

TruFan23 wrote:
Hass is not going to be our quarterback in the future. Honestly, IF this team ends up going on a losing streak, we need to see if CBJ can hack it as the future quarterback or if we need to spend our #1 next year on a QB. The last thing I want to see is this team go 8-8, 7-9 whatever, with Hass at qb, then start CBJ next year only to find out he sucks too.

Well, duh, he's 35 years old.

NET Bench Warmer

I don't think anyone can say how the year is really gonna play out. One game THIS SEASON. This is a different season, different players, different coaches. So he had a bad game. Let's see how he does next week. Do you really think benching Hass right now is gonna give this team any kind of confidence? I think he is still the leader of this team and had an off day.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:04 pm 
NET Pro Bowler

TruFan23 wrote:

Concur. Problem will be that 8-8 could win the division.

To the barren lands

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:05 pm 
Zowert wrote:

What are we going to do? Put Charlie in? Come on. Hass took this team to its first NFC championship and Superbowl. He may be a little older, but he's still a good QB.

Its not 2005, just because people keep repeating "Matt is still a good QB" does not make it true.

More and more (and not just this one season) the good games are being far out weighed by the bad games, today he made 1 physical mistake (2nd INT, he just can't make that throw, not sure he ever could), 1 mental mistake (1st INT, a 7th grader knows not to throw that pass) and 1 that was both (the 4th down throw through the end zone).

Simple put, many of us are not in agreement with the "Matt is still a good QB" stance. He used to be, just not sure he still is.

NET Veteran

Zowert wrote:
Trrrroy wrote:
Zowert wrote:

Lately? This was the second game of the season.

Yes lately. Last years games count too, don't they?

NET Pro Bowler

mrblitz wrote:
It looks to me like Matt reads well, but his actual throws are an adventure.

Agree with this too.

To the barren lands

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:11 pm 
* NET News Scoop *
* NET News Scoop *

Aros wrote:
I am as big a Hass supporter as you will find on this forum but it is damn difficult to defend his performance today.

***sigh***

Sadly, I share your disdain.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:13 pm 
US Navy ET Nuc

Zowert wrote:

In that case, I'll crap on Jennings. I'm 51, overweight, and use a cane after a bad motorcycle experience. But I could play corner better than that POS.

It has nothing to do with Hass, but it had to be said. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:19 pm 
NET Starter

i understand that hass is nearing the end of his career, however with a young team still developing it will take a couple of games. everyone thinks that 9-7 will win the division... ok we're 1-1. still too early to make any judgement except that matt won't have another game like that. CBJ will get his turn and they will probably draft a QB in the first three rounds next year. i'm still in!!

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:21 pm 
zhawk wrote:
i understand that hass is nearing the end of his career, however with a young team still developing it will take a couple of games. everyone thinks that 9-7 will win the division... ok we're 1-1. still too early to make any judgement except that matt won't have another game like that. CBJ will get his turn and they will probably draft a QB in the first three rounds next year. i'm still in!!

This would make sense if Matt Hasselbeck does not play like a junior high QB that was picked out of the crowd to play. Matt needs to make up for the mistakes of the young team, not make matter worse, today he made matters worse.

Even with the terrible defense if Matt does not make 3 boneheaded passes (the 2 first half picks and the 4th down throw through the endzone) that no 'Pro Bowl' QB should ever make (at least not 3 times in a game) they could have had a shot in a shoot out type of game.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:35 pm 
NET Starter

i don't disagree that he had a horrible day.... i also don't expect him to have another game like that. it felt like he was trying to make up for his mistakes and just made it worse

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:45 pm 
* Handsome *

zhawk wrote:
i don't disagree that he had a horrible day.... i also don't expect him to have another game like that. it felt like he was trying to make up for his mistakes and just made it worse

THAT is THE problem with Matt Hasselbeck

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:46 pm 
NET Starter

To me, the first 2 int were potential TD if had a little more power to them. The first int was a little under thrown, therefore champ got it. the 2nd he under Carlson who was open if had a little more zip to it.
and the 3rd was just a bad throw which got eaten up by a rookie cb. sadface

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:46 pm 
NET Veteran

zhawk wrote:
i don't disagree that he had a horrible day.... i also don't expect him to have another game like that.

Why? He's had 13 interceptions in his past five games. It's beginning to turn into a trend.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:55 pm 
NET Veteran

warner28 wrote:
Zowert wrote:

Its not 2005, just because people keep repeating "Matt is still a good QB" does not make it true.

More and more (and not just this one season) the good games are being far out weighed by the bad games, today he made 1 physical mistake (2nd INT, he just can't make that throw, not sure he ever could), 1 mental mistake (1st INT, a 7th grader knows not to throw that pass) and 1 that was both (the 4th down throw through the end zone).

Simple put, many of us are not in agreement with the "Matt is still a good QB" stance. He used to be, just not sure he still is.

Well you don't like to look at the situation he's put in, you would rather blame it all on the QB.

He has a crap O-line protecting him, questionable receivers, a lack of a "go-to" man and an unproven offensive coordinator (until Bates). What do you expect? A quarterback is limited to the team around him and in the last couple seasons, the team around him has been a complete joke.

Look at all the successful QB's in the league. Brees, Manning, etc. What do they have in common? They're behind a solid O-line and at least one go to receiver. What's Hasselbeck got? Deon Branch and a former 1st round bust.

Where was our #1 receiver today anyway? Oh that's right, he was SHUT DOWN!

Last edited by Zowert on Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:57 pm 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *

If you want to look objectively at hasselbeck, you have to do the same with Whitehurst and from what I've seen he's not the answer today, tomorrow, next year or ever. We wasted a pick on him and we'll still be looking for our qb of the future next year and the year after until someone figures this out. Hasselbeck is our only option at winning now.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:58 pm 
* NET Developer *

Just like when Shaun Alexander was done, there is no way to have an 'objective' discussion about Hasselbeck. The uber supporters will make excuses all day long, and anyone that doesn't make excuses for him will be labelled a hater.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:58 pm 
Yeah, he had nothing to do with it. Everyone else's fault.

Today, Matt was the reason the offense did not score 20+ points, no one else and this is not the first time he has been a disaster.

If you want to let him off the hook that is your choice but Matt is not playing at anywhere near the level he did in 2005 and IMO he is no longer capable of playing anywhere near that level on a regular basis regardless of the team around him.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:02 pm 
NET Veteran

warner28 wrote:
Yeah, he had nothing to do with it. Everyone else's fault.

Today, Matt was the reason the offense did not score 20+ points, no one else and this is not the first time he has been a disaster.

If you want to let him off the hook that is your choice but Matt is not playing at anywhere near the level he did in 2005 and IMO he is no longer capable of playing anywhere near that level on a regular basis regardless of the team around him.

I wasn't talking about today, I was talking about the last couple years. Everyone has a bad game. Even the greatest of all time. So chill...

Prove my argument wrong.

He is a pocket QB, but has two rushing TDs in the last game. Why is this? Because no one is open. He makes things happen. He just makes mistakes, like anyone else.

Last edited by Zowert on Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:02 pm 
NET Veteran

Zowert wrote:

Well you don't like to look at the situation he's put in, you would rather blame it all on the QB.

He has a crap O-line protecting him, questionable receivers, a lack of a "go-to" man and an unproven offensive coordinator. What do you expect? A quarterback is limited to the team around him and in the lat couple seasons, the team around him has been a complete joke.

That's true to a point, but Hasselbeck's performance this game and last years Greenbay and Bucs games were nobodies fault but himself. And I'm sure Hass, being a classy guy, would say the same thing.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:04 pm 
NET Veteran

Trrrroy wrote:
Zowert wrote:

He has a crap O-line protecting him, questionable receivers, a lack of a "go-to" man and an unproven offensive coordinator. What do you expect? A quarterback is limited to the team around him and in the lat couple seasons, the team around him has been a complete joke.

That's true to a point, but Hasselbeck's performance this game and last years Greenbay and Bucs games were nobodies fault but himself. And I'm sure Hass, being a classy guy, would say the same thing.

So where were you last week to point this out? You were silent. Why? Cause Hass played like Hass. He just had a bad game today. Everyone has those from time to time. He's done the best he can with the cards he's been delt. He's not exactly a QB for the New England Patriots. This team is rebuilding.

But yea, in an interview today he took responsibility for today's loss.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:07 pm 
NET Veteran

Zowert wrote:
Trrrroy wrote:
Zowert wrote:

So where were you last week to point this out? You were silent. Why? Cause Hass played like Hass. He just had a bad game today. Everyone has those from time to time. He's done the best he can with the cards he's been delt. He's not exactly a QB for the New England Patriots. This team is rebuilding.

He's had three "bad" games in the past five he's played. It's turning into a trend.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:14 pm 
Some of us have been saying it, including last week, I gave him props but mostly because he did not screw things up last week, he did nothing special last week, anytime he has been tasked with picking the team up over the last couple years he has failed.

IMO, today was closer to Hass playing like Hass but even if last week is Hass, its still no one that is going to win you a playoff game.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:16 pm 
NET Veteran

Trrrroy wrote:
He's had three "bad" games in the past five he's played. It's turning into a trend.

To be fair, the entire Seahawks had bad games. How are you going to single one player out in a 5-11 team?

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:17 pm 
* NET Lead Admin *

Two words: arm strength.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:17 pm 
Zowert wrote:
Trrrroy wrote:

To be fair, the entire Seahawks had bad games. How are you going to single one player out in a 5-11 team?

To be fair, we aren't singling Matt out, we are simply saying he is part of the problem, you are singling him out and excusing his play by saying everyone else is terrible.

You say he is doing the best he can do, while than his best is not good enough, award for effort now lets find someone whose best is good enough.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:19 pm 
NET Veteran

warner28 wrote:
Some of us have been saying it, including last week, I gave him props but mostly because he did not screw things up last week, he did nothing special last week, anytime he has been tasked with picking the team up over the last couple years he has failed.

IMO, today was closer to Hass playing like Hass but even if last week is Hass, its still no one that is going to win you a playoff game.

He did NOTHING special last week? LOL! Were you even watching the game?

18/23 170 yards, 2 TD's and 1 rushing TD (1 int)

Hass had the best passer rating in week 1. Come on bro, you're just being a little negative.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:19 pm 
NET Veteran

warner28 wrote:
Zowert wrote:
Trrrroy wrote:

To be fair, we aren't singling Matt out, we are simply saying he is part of the problem, you are singling him out and excusing his play by saying everyone else is terrible.

You say he is doing the best he can do, while than his best is not good enough, award for effort now lets find someone whose best is good enough.

Yes you are. THis whole thread is about how bad Matt sucks. I don't see an Aaron Curry, Walter Thurmond, or Seahawks defense thread.

Last edited by Zowert on Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:20 pm 
NET Rookie

I guess im not sure why the focus is on JUST Hasslebeck? I saw so much garbage plays and costly penalties that it made me sick.

I mean seriously, the team self destructed on so many levels that it was embarressing.

I am not saying that he DIDNT play poorly, I'm just saying that its one area in a long list of problem areas for this team today.

"Am I going MAD, or did the word "think" escape your lips? You were not hired for your brains, you hippopotamic land mass."

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:21 pm 
NET Veteran

Zowert wrote:
MeanBlueGreen wrote:

Its not that Hass is obsessed with those plays, those were the cards he was delt. Hass isnt necessarily allowed to call audibles like he used to under Holmgren. He gets the play calls and tries to execute them, that's all he can do. Most of the completions Hass made were up the middle anyway, so I dont know what youre talking about.

I'm talking about the fact that the majority of Matt's throws are to the sidelines on either swing passes or fade routes. I don't know what game you were watching today, but the one I saw today had him constantly challenging Brian Dawkins for some reason.

John Carlson was not his only choice today. In a 3 or 4 WR set, you have more than 1 choice yet it seemed he kept trying to go to Carlson.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:22 pm 
NET Veteran

kidhawk wrote:
If you want to look objectively at hasselbeck, you have to do the same with Whitehurst and from what I've seen he's not the answer today, tomorrow, next year or ever. We wasted a pick on him and we'll still be looking for our qb of the future next year and the year after until someone figures this out. Hasselbeck is our only option at winning now.

How do you know this about Whitehurst without ever seeing him in a regular season situation? If you want to compare Whitehurst with Hasselbeck you put them under center with the same supporting cast. That's not something that's been done to this point.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:22 pm 
NET Veteran

Stiletto wrote:
I guess im not sure why the focus is on JUST Hasslebeck? I saw so much garbage plays and costly penalties that it made me sick.

I mean seriously, the team self destructed on so many levels that it was embarressing.

I am not saying that he DIDNT play poorly, I'm just saying that its one area in a long list of problem areas for this team today.

THANK YOU! Where is the thread on how bad the defense played? They let the Broncos march right down the field on nearly every drive. There were some game changing penalties from the O-line. A bad fumble by a rookie and bone head plays from Curry. But nooooo, Hass gets the heat.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:23 pm 
Zowert wrote:
warner28 wrote:

He did NOTHING special last week? LOL! Were you even watching the game?

18/23 170 yards, 2 TD's and 1 rushing TD (1 int)

Hass had the best passer rating in week 1. Come on bro, you're just being a little negative.

He controlled the game, I did not say different. That was what he was asked to do and he did it, that is why I gave him props last year.

Against SF he was not asked to make the difficult throw, it was the defense (not him) that kept Seattle in the game and it was the defense that was the game changer.

As I said he had a good game, it was not a great game, today a good game probably would have been enough (and is about all he is capable of nowadays IMO) but he had a bad game instead.

Today when the team really needed a Pro Bowl performance he took a dump.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:23 pm 
NET Veteran

endzorn wrote:

I love the guy, always will...but when I watch him play it is painfully obvious that he is not the answer. At some point we need to find out what we have in Whitehurst.

Ruskell was an idiot for not getting us a future QB and letting him sit and learn while Hass plays out his contract. Green Bay, San Diego and Philly did this with really good QB's on their roster. We need to find out if CBJ is the guy going forward or if we need to draft a QB high in the upcoming draft. Hass' days are numbered here. His best attribute, his decision making, is not even very good anymore. Like you said, love the guy for what he has done, but it's time to move on. We aren't going anywhere with him this year and he doesn't deserve a new contract. Gotta find out if CBJ is the guy for this team and Bates offense.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:24 pm 
Zowert wrote:

Yes you are. THis whole thread is about how bad Matt sucks. I don't see an Aaron Curry, Walter Thurmond, or Seahawks defense thread.

Really? They have been ALL OVER THE PLACE. Want me to link them for you?

Aaron Curry is right under this one, the defense was all over the game day board.

Of course they are here, we have multiple threads. There is 1 Matt thread and dozens of other ones covering the very things you claim we aren't talking about, seriously, look around.

Last edited by MARTYREDwarner on Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:25 pm 
NET Veteran

MeanBlueGreen wrote:
Zowert wrote:
MeanBlueGreen wrote:

I'm talking about the fact that the majority of Matt's throws are to the sidelines on either swing passes or fade routes. I don't know what game you were watching today, but the one I saw today had him constantly challenging Brian Dawkins for some reason.

His TD pass, was up the middle. Two of his Branch passes, up the middle. 4/5 of Carlson's receptions were up the middle and William's sole catch, was towards the middle.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:27 pm 
NET Veteran

warner28 wrote:
Zowert wrote:

Aaron Curry is right under this one, the defense was all over the game day board.

Of course they are here, we have multiple threads.

Yeah in the game day thread, of course. But not in the general thread.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:29 pm 
Zowert wrote:
warner28 wrote:
Zowert wrote:

Of course they are here, we have multiple threads.

Yeah in the game day thread, of course. But not in the general thread.

Yes there is, several of them.

Look around man, there is a thread about defense, Curry, everything but Thurmond (whom is a rookie and frankly I expect mistakes). Everything else is all over the place, look around.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » NET NATION COMMUNITY CENTER » [ THE ARCHIVES ]