Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

dotNetTwentyFourteen Feature Requests

A collection of NET's best and most memorable threads. Predictions, debates, laughs, and X's & O's. LANGUAGE RATING: PG to NC-17
dotNetTwentyFourteen Feature Requests
Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:22 pm
  • Hey, where'd my X go? Can I have it back?

Possibly. Is it redundant?
    Anguish
    * NET Co-Owner *

• I just wanted to be first to post on the new site! It looks SPECTACULAR!!!! Great work!
    "Well, he's what you call 'on the bubble' with Porky-pine pants". Steve Largent, when he used to do color for Seahawks Pre-Season games...

RIP Les
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• I don't know if it's my browser or not, but the user names on the posts seem quite a bit smaller than they used to be. Could they be made a little bigger for my old eyes?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Anguish on Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Reason: Fixed
    BobcatHawk
    NET Starter

• K, so is there still an icon next to post you replied too? I know you can view your post, but I mean on the main forum, is there no longer an icon for threads you posted in? Or do I just not see it.
    hawksincebirth wrote:
    So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

• BobcatHawk wrote:I don't know if it's my browser or not, but the user names on the posts seem quite a bit smaller than they used to be. Could they be made a little bigger for my old eyes?

Thanks.

Concur and agree.
    hawksincebirth wrote:
    So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

• Nice. Need to get used to the new layout; though the larger text size on all replies is throwing me for a loop, haha. Is the submit button being aligned to the right when replying (where a cancel/close button would typically be) intended/permanent?
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• BobcatHawk wrote:I don't know if it's my browser or not, but the user names on the posts seem quite a bit smaller than they used to be. Could they be made a little bigger for my old eyes?

Thanks.

This, I legit might have to start wearing my glasses to mod properly lol.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• A "report" button eh? I don't see that being abused at all... Especially during 49er weeks...
    "Well, he's what you call 'on the bubble' with Porky-pine pants". Steve Largent, when he used to do color for Seahawks Pre-Season games...

RIP Les
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• BlueThunder wrote:A "report" button eh? I don't see that being abused at all... Especially during 49er weeks...

I just reported your post for mentioning the report button. (Kidding, of course.)

I made a little screenshot showing a 1:1 comparison of text from the old site and the new to demonstrate the difference in size. The new one is quite a bit taller. It's a narrower font type, but since the size is larger, it still takes up quite a bit more space. I'm just spitballin' here, not whining, so don't take it the wrong way. :) I love the wolf gray color, but perhaps either a different font that is spaced a little differently or lowering the size of it slightly? Just a thought.

RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Glad we finally got rid of the blueberry.

I don't think every reply needs a grey header that restates the topic. It breaks the thread in an odd way. Overall spacing throughout is tight. Would like to see a cleaner/less cluttered visual tweaks if possible.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• Cartire wrote:K, so is there still an icon next to post you replied too? I know you can view your post, but I mean on the main forum, is there no longer an icon for threads you posted in? Or do I just not see it.

Looks to me like there's a little tiny dot on the upper right corner of the tulip feather icon to indicate a thread you've participated in.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Well, I have to use my glasses now. Looks like someone grabbed the contrast knob and turned it way down.

Are the borders taking up a lot more room than they did compared to the conversation box? Maybe just my imagination, but the center section looks skinny now compared to the screen size.
    Last edited by OrFan on Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    OrFan
    NET Veteran

• Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Cartire wrote:K, so is there still an icon next to post you replied too? I know you can view your post, but I mean on the main forum, is there no longer an icon for threads you posted in? Or do I just not see it.

Looks to me like there's a little tiny dot on the upper right corner of the tulip feather icon to indicate a thread you've participated in.

You are correct. And also, it's way to small and barely at all noticeable. At all.

Like the name resize
    hawksincebirth wrote:
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

• Any chance of getting a slightly bigger % of the screen width dedicated to the posts? Not a lot more, but I think a little would look a lot better.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• GeekHawk wrote:Any chance of getting a slightly bigger % of the screen width dedicated to the posts? Not a lot more, but I think a little would look a lot better.

Yeah, it's a lot narrower now if you're running a widescreen 1080p resolution or higher; any chance we could build width scaling in at some point? Quite a bit more scrolling on my mouse wheel now. :)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• I don't know where to put this post but the place looks awesome!
    12evanf
    NET Veteran

• Cartire wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Cartire wrote:K, so is there still an icon next to post you replied too? I know you can view your post, but I mean on the main forum, is there no longer an icon for threads you posted in? Or do I just not see it.

You are correct. And also, it's way to small and barely at all noticeable. At all.

Well... I mean... I noticed it... so...
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• I like where the change is heading but feel there are some tweaks needed to hone it.

1. The font is difficult to read. Not sure if it is the large size or the font itself or a combination.
    2. Remove the grey headers on each post.
    3. Reduce the avatar size. It just makes it seem too busy.
    4. Widen the message board area on the page
    5. The minimum vertical size of a post seems too big. A lot of deadspace to scroll through.
    fridayfrenzy
    NET Starter

• [sarcasm]Can you make the dark blue a little lighter and the light blue a little darker?[/sarcasm]

How about we all just use the site for a few weeks and get used to the new layout before we start nitpicking the design?

[sarcasm]Also, can you make the font a little bit more snarky?[/sarcasm]
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• I'm not sure if anyone else ever used it, but I already miss the way you could go directly to the last post you read in a thread by clicking on the top of the thread last post icon. I also agree with the names being too small to read, although it could be the color of the names that are making them hard to read. Other than that I like it a lot.
    SeahawkFrost
    NET Starter

• SeahawkFrost wrote:I'm not sure if anyone else ever used it, but I already miss the way you could go directly to the last post you read in a thread by clicking on the top of the thread last post icon.

That button is now a little tiny square on the right side of the last poster's username on the right side of the thread. An awkward and somewhat non-intuitive place for it, in my opinion.
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• SeahawkFrost wrote:I'm not sure if anyone else ever used it, but I already miss the way you could go directly to the last post you read in a thread by clicking on the top of the thread last post icon. I also agree with the names being too small to read, although it could be the color of the names that are making them hard to read. Other than that I like it a lot.

It's not the font that makes your username hard to read - it's your avatar!
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• I see it now thanks.
    Geekhawk it is mesmerizing isn't it?
    SeahawkFrost
    NET Starter

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    SeahawkFrost wrote:I'm not sure if anyone else ever used it, but I already miss the way you could go directly to the last post you read in a thread by clicking on the top of the thread last post icon.

That button is now a little tiny square on the right side of the last poster's username on the right side of the thread. An awkward and somewhat non-intuitive place for it, in my opinion.

There are 2, one is the FIRST UNREAD post, which is right before the Topic Title, and the other is LAST post, which is right next to the name of the person who made the last post...

There seems to be a bug in FIRST UNREAD post when in a global announcement...
    Anguish
    * NET Co-Owner *

• I also concur with the headers being to noticeable on each post. It's a post, then it's in its own block. Then new block with thick header repeating the thread title. Then next post. Seems kinda weird. I don't know. I just get what the others are saying.

Otherwise, I think a lot of it is just gonna have to be getting used too before it becomes normal.
    hawksincebirth wrote:
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

• First of all.. HOLY CRAP.. this new design looks incredible!

One feature I've always kind of wanted is the ability to thank/add reputation to a post .. A lot of forums have this and its cool. Kind of similar to "liking" something on Facebook.

Thats my only two cents, otherwise this looks incredible
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Anguish wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    SeahawkFrost wrote:I'm not sure if anyone else ever used it, but I already miss the way you could go directly to the last post you read in a thread by clicking on the top of the thread last post icon.

There are 2, one is the FIRST UNREAD post, which is right before the Topic Title, and the other is LAST post, which is right next to the name of the person who made the last post...

There seems to be a bug in FIRST UNREAD post when in a global announcement...

I see it now thanks for all your hard work Anguish.
    SeahawkFrost
    NET Starter

• Hasselbeck wrote:First of all.. HOLY CRAP.. this new design looks incredible!

One feature I've always kind of wanted is the ability to thank/add reputation to a post .. A lot of forums have this and its cool. Kind of similar to "liking" something on Facebook.

Thats my only two cents, otherwise this looks incredible

The downside to that is a lot of people tend to alter what they say on a regular basis to try and get reputation when it comes to message boards. Nice in theory, but in practice it tends to not be good in some ways. Also just my :twocents:
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Wow this looks great! It will take some getting used to just because it has looked the same way for so long...but well done!

I hate change, but this is one I am actually excited about.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

• WOW! Amazing!

I can see admin names just fine, but regular users not so much. What about admin names going 'action green' and users going 'admin blue'?

Honestly though, amazing change. Love it!

EDIT:

Nevermind that, it would conflict with a lot of other parts of the site. Members Online at the bottom, last post, etc.
    Last edited by DHawk on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "I want it! I hate losing!"
    DHawk
    NET Veteran

• I noticed that as well but it will come back quite clearly in any NEW responses to a thread, I made one and then rechecked it and it is quite clear, for some reason that part just didn't come with the forum upgrade, data transfer.

GO HAWKS!!!

For those that choose to attend the temple "QWEST" bring your best and be LOUD.

The opposition has no hope!!
    12HawkFan
    NET Starter

• I might humbly suggest trying different font types and sizes out. Not crazy about the current main font on the headers and posts...Even though I always liked Arial for the simplicity and ease of reading, I am not against a different kind of font.

Who knows, maybe it will grow on me. I don't mind the font at the size it is as you compose a message. So difficult though with everyone running different resolutions, browser prefs, etc...

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Looking good. Think I will miss the "eye in a bubble" on the thread pages though. Always liked that.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!!!
    The Seahawk Domination is upon us!
    SeahawksRawk
    NET Starter

• When I clicked on the View buttons at the top it used to weed out the Shack and Politics forums in the search results. Is this going to be put back? Some of the titles get pretty bad especially when reading at work.
    dbmack
    NET Veteran

• My only minor gripe is the green needs to be more neonish green and less split pea soup green.
    Looks great though fellas, nice job!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Re: dotNetTwentyFourteen Feature Requests
Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:03 pm
  • Please, please, a prominent NEXT button on postings with more than one page.

Currently, it tells you what your current page is, and in the 1-2-3-... page links, the current page number is very slightly larger than the others. But getting to the end of a page and then having to figure out which page you're on in order to navigate to the next page (again, the slightly larger page number link is very subtle) is annoying.

End of page. NEXT. Please.

P.S. Agree on the fixed-width issue. The useful part of the site now consumes about 40% of my screen width, resulting in a lot more scrolling than should be necessary. Make it wider; most of us have wide-screen nowadays.
    Last edited by Anguish on Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Boom!
    HawkHack
    NET Rookie

Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:37 pm
  • Green user names, nice!
    "I want it! I hate losing!"
    DHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:56 pm
  • First, the site looks really nice Anguish. Some feedback from me...

Thread layout:
    - Agree with others that the gray headers on every post could be de-emphasized or eliminated (they do look nice, just tend to stretch the page vertically and threads are more difficult to read through).
    - Minimum size of each post could probably be reduced as there is a lot of empty real estate.
    - Align signatures to the bottom of the post and allow the content of the signature to dictate size
    - Font family change might benefit legibility of posts.
    - Quick reply form should be visible by default to eliminate clicks (and avoid confusion for old farts who don't know how to use the internet)
    - "Expand View" seems fairly pointless as it hides useful functionality and the label isn't very intuitive as the user has no idea what they're about to "expand". I really don't think you lose any valuable real estate or clutter up the layout particularly given how much the thread layout has been stretched with the reduced horizontal width and increased height of each post.
    - "Back to top" link might be useful at the bottom of the page, particularly since there's so much scrolling necessary now.

Reply form:
    - Emoticons stretch the form, causing buttons to render out of view, forcing the user to scroll just to find them. (first thing I noticed, might add more to this section as I play with the site. Perhaps throw the emoticons into a container above or below the text area with the ability to expand/collapse. That should bring the buttons into view when the form renders.

Forum index:
    - Navigating to the last post in a thread is more difficult. Might want to de-emphasize some of the text or make the icon larger/more prominent for navigating to the last post. This is a bigger issue with touch screens.

Forum > Topic list:
    - Gray icons to the left of topics seem to make topic titles pop while the green obscures them (for me). I'd avoid icons that are the same color as the titles/links. Perhaps using a gray bordered silhouette of the same icon could be used to show different states rather than differing colors?

Banner / Main Navigation:
    - Dates in the green box could be de-emphasized as they draw attention away from the quick search / navigation links for new, unread, "your" posts, etc.

Just my two cents. Might add a few more things to the list here but I think the new color scheme is very cool. I'm sure you'll tweak things over time to improve usability.
    Adopt A Rookie: Nick Vannett, TE - Ohio State University
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

• Wow...this was a shock when first logging on....but it's already starting to grow on me.

I also 2nd/3rd/whatever, those who mentioned widening the posts across the screen if possible. If we can't, I'll just get used to it.

Great job!
    FortWorthSeahawk
    USAF BadAss

• Way cool!! Easy to use even for a drain brammaged seasoned citizen like me :oops:

3 cheers for Anguish :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :th2thumbs:
    There's what I used to know, what I think I know, and what I know I know. And they all get lost in the haze sometimes.
    grizbob
    NET Veteran

Location: Born in Oakharbor, raised in the west, sentenced to life in St George

• Listening to others, I can't tell how much is different between different people.

Here's some issues I have in picture form. Please note that this is on a generation 3 iPad. I don't expect you to cater to this.

This first one, you will notice that the right side of the donations button for some reason is cut off.

This second one was what I was talking about with the indication of what threads you posted in. The dot is almost not even noticeable on an iPad. I posted in "new forum look" if you're trying to find it.

Also, it seems to fit perfectly width wise on the iPad. But the amount of space between each post seems extensive.

hawksincebirth wrote:
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

• Wow, and the pictures no longer fit to width. So you can't see the donations button gripe as the pics are all cut off on the right.
    hawksincebirth wrote:
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

• Lastly, I think you can get rid of the day of the week and time, down to the minute, when someone joined. That way you can decrease the width of the avatar/name box. Nothing was wrong with just the simple date you joined. Needing to know the minute you joined seems unnessacary.
    hawksincebirth wrote:
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

• You are missing an indicator that "I" created a thread if you are logged on.

It is present in almost every web forum I browse on.

GO HAWKS!!!
    For those that choose to attend the temple "QWEST" bring your best and be LOUD.

The opposition has no hope!!
    12HawkFan
    NET Starter

• Cartire wrote:Wow, and the pictures no longer fit to width. So you can't see the donations button gripe as the pics are all cut off on the right.

If the pic is too big to fit in the post block, you can click on the pic to view the full image in a "pop-up".

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Cartire wrote:Wow, and the pictures no longer fit to width. So you can't see the donations button gripe as the pics are all cut off on the right.

Click on one of the pictures...
    Anguish
    * NET Co-Owner *

• SeatownJay wrote:
    Cartire wrote:Wow, and the pictures no longer fit to width. So you can't see the donations button gripe as the pics are all cut off on the right.

If the pic is too big to fit in the post block, you can click on the pic to view the full image in a "pop-up".

The click-to-popup is a nice feature, but the width of the normal viewing screen makes it less than aesthetic when viewing it without in the post itself. Unless pictures can be automatically re-sized to fit when posting them, it detracts from the otherwise-professional look of the site.
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Cartire, switch to Chrome on your iPad. The newer version of Safari that is in iOS 7 has a variety of issues that prior versions didn't have for a lot of websites. Not sure if anything will be different on .NET specifically, but either way, Safari on iOS nowadays is a real POS.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• First thing I want to say is that so far I LOVE the new look. I was hesitant, because I've grown quite fond of Todd's work, but this place looks great. As for the features and such, I plan to just post as normal for awhile before I decide if there's any requests I want to make. Want to let the changes soak in a bit first.

On to the one thing that still is nagging at me, and it's not any of the changes that were made last night, but the one change I've been waiting for and have yet to see. I really am curious as to when the EST. 1998 (or something similar) is going to get added to the header graphic or perhaps somewhere else on the site? If it's there, I'm not seeing it and I had thought it was already a given that it was going to be a part of this.

Other than that minor little nagging detail. Great job on the new digs. All of the hard work is definitely appreciated

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• kidhawk wrote:First thing I want to say is that so far I LOVE the new look. I was hesitant, because I've grown quite fond of Todd's work, but this place looks great. As for the features and such, I plan to just post as normal for awhile before I decide if there's any requests I want to make. Want to let the changes soak in a bit first.

On to the one thing that still is nagging at me, and it's not any of the changes that were made last night, but the one change I've been waiting for and have yet to see. I really am curious as to when the EST. 1998 (or something similar) is going to get added to the header graphic or perhaps somewhere else on the site? If it's there, I'm not seeing it and I had thought it was already a given that it was going to be a part of this.

Other than that minor little nagging detail. Great job on the new digs. All of the hard work is definitely appreciated

Andrew - who made the winning header graphic - is sending me an updated version with the Est. 1998 on it. I will pass it on to Anguish to kindly overwrite the current.

I can see the points about the new fixed width posting area but I really like on my wide screen how I can see the Sacred Century Link cradling the main section...Hopefully we stick with it. I think it's one of the things that we will grow accustomed to, IMO.

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Next

It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:12 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE ARCHIVES ]

Information