Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Bad news - RIP Les "Radish" Norton

A collection of NET's best and most memorable threads. Predictions, debates, laughs, and X's & O's. LANGUAGE RATING: PG to NC-17
Re: Bad news - RIP Les "Radish" Norton
Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:50 pm
  • Tokadub wrote:Being a somewhat new poster here I didn't know Radish as well as most of you. But sure enough he took the time to PM me to try to help me when I posted a problem I had with the avatar file size limit.

That just shows the kind of great guy he was to reach out and help anyone who needed it. That's a rare trait and I'm very sad to hear this news.

R.I.P. The Radish

Lol. NOBODY Hated oversized gif avatars more than Radish. I had to check my PMs SO many times on those... though he let me keep a few for a couple days cuz they were hella funny. :)
    FREE PEHAWK
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:18 pm
  • The world has lost one of the finest people ever. There is not much more to say than all of you have already. My heart goes out to Darlene and their family. Every time I see a fine dahlia or a kite in the sky I'll think of you, friend. Rest in peace. :les:
    susitnagal
    * NET Alaskan Hottie *

Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:52 am
  • RIP Radish
    Louisiana has the most disloyal fanbase in the world.....
    cajunhawk
    NET Rookie

Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:16 am
  • RIP Les,....the 12's have just lost a great one
    Hamhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:39 am
  • We're down to the 11.5s without Radish.

R.I.P. old boy.
    He mimed pooping the football.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    NorCalHawk12
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:05 am
  • I'd like to take a moment to thank everyone that has shared their individual, poignant thoughts regarding the loss of our very good friend, Les.

We're going to give everyone a little more time to share their thoughts on this untimely news before we allow this bad news thread to close out and move naturally toward it's permanent home in our site archives.

We encourage you to continue to celebrate his life, his impact as a person, and his friendship to so many of us, by posting about his legacy in the thread topic he started about the gifts he received after his heart surgery.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95632

Thanks!
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:37 am
  • I have his email in my address book and I will never delete it.

Both he and I are former drag racers that knew a lot of the same people, so we had a common ground there outside of the Hawks. He was just one of those people that made you feel comfortable that they were there, even if not physically present.

I miss him, a lot. I was talking to Andrea (Seahwgal) yesterday and both of us shared Les stories. The one time she and her husband came to Seattle, I showed them around town for a few days and we all met up with Les and Darlene at Temple billiards. These are times that I remember so fondly. He told me last week that he had dropped 50 pounds, and planned on dropping 50 more and I joked with him that we would have to add another s to his first name. :D

I would also like to say that I have met many good people on this site and have even traveled with a few. Last Sunday in San Diego there were a lot of us, and I think that next year we should organize a Hawk road trip in Les' honor since he passed right before this last game, we were all in shock.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:16 pm
  • Les,

It's been a long time since I logged into the site. Life has been busy, I have lurked here and there to catch up. I heard that you had been ill, and had surgery, and also that you had come through ok. I come back to find this post on the day of your passing. I have never felt a "virtual" loss if you will, and was profoundly moved by your passing. I too share the same sentiments as nearly all of us on this board. You were the first to say hello, and make me feel at home. I sure do wish we could have met face to face. This place has diminished somewhat in your absence, and feels a bit less like home. I will miss you very much sir, you were a kind and loving soul. My deepest most heartfelt condolences for your family, may they sustain each other through these difficult times.

PS - We got one! I am so thankful you got to see us go out on top man.

-Ric
    Rose City Hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:06 pm
  • What I find incredible learning all week is that whether you knew Les for a very long time or you just met him for a very brief encounter this great man made a very big impact on you. He made a meaningful moment out of every life he touched.

How rare is THAT? To met someone like Les?!

thanks Les!
    tom sawyer
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:16 pm
  • Damn. Take care up there Les.
    Hey, Phil Rivers, you just got an Earl Necklace!
    duckypoo
    NET Starter

Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:11 am
  • I know for a fact if Les were alive today to read these comments he would be floored. He would also have some smart-Les thing to say that only he could deliver in his own way. It is what endured us all to him. In the 16 years I have been here, nobody made this their home more than Les did. He was proud of his connections to this community. All you have to do is read through this thread to realize the impact he had on .NET members both new and old. That is a trait that cannot be replicated.

Where most of us enjoy the banter, the posting styles of many of us, Les took it much more seriously than that. He literally wanted to get to know YOU. The person behind the keyboard. How he invited strangers into his home was legendary. For him it was no big feat. As long as you were a .NET member, you were no stranger to Les.

You were family.

Through all the changes this site went through over the years, from independent to Fanstop to Scout back to independent, Les was there through it all. I guess I never really realized how much he was my right hand man all this time. Through all the changes and big names that walked through these halls, Les was always there. I guess I took that for granted and for that I am truly sorry.

Like many of you Les had this way to identify with your life and your passions. For me, it was my love of aviation. He would send me aviation-related emails weekly. He would also send me emails showing the beauty of our world, from nature to the human form. His heart was most close to imagery of days gone by. He loved to email friends imagery and sayings that stemmed from the mid twentieth century. Makes perfect sense. Back then, time was much simpler. Technology wasn't so advanced where you spent more time staring at a device then you did engaging the person next to you without the distraction.

I loved that about Les. He was our Grandpa. Someone who came from another era that could give us perspective without being preachy. Even better, he had one passion that bonded us all together so magnificently. The Seahawks.

I didn't get to know Les as well as his family did. Although I got to know him enough to know that he loved his family, his Daschunds, his Seahawks, his cars, among other manly things. And boy did he love us. This community. There's good reason there has been so many wonderful posts in this thread. He touched us all in ways many of us just cannot.

Les, we will always love you and appreciate you for who you were.

We are ALL so grateful that you left this world a Champion. How fitting. We did it my friend. We did it.

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:27 am
  • Aros wrote:I know for a fact if Les were alive today to read these comments he would be floored. He would also have some smart-Les thing to say that only he could deliver in his own way. It is what endured us all to him. In the 16 years I have been here, nobody made this their home more than Les did. He was proud of his connections to this community. All you have to do is read through this thread to realize the impact he had on .NET members both new and old. That is a trait that cannot be replicated.

Where most of us enjoy the banter, the posting styles of many of us, Les took it much more seriously than that. He literally wanted to get to know YOU. The person behind the keyboard. How he invited strangers into his home was legendary. For him it was no big feat. As long as you were a .NET member, you were no stranger to Les.

You were family.

Through all the changes this site went through over the years, from independent to Fanstop to Scout back to independent, Les was there through it all. I guess I never really realized how much he was my right hand man all this time. Through all the changes and big names that walked through these halls, Les was always there. I guess I took that for granted and for that I am truly sorry.

Like many of you Les had this way to identify with your life and your passions. For me, it was my love of aviation. He would send me aviation-related emails weekly. He would also send me emails showing the beauty of our world, from nature to the human form. His heart was most close to imagery of days gone by. He loved to email friends imagery and sayings that stemmed from the mid twentieth century. Makes perfect sense. Back then, time was much simpler. Technology wasn't so advanced where you spent more time staring at a device then you did engaging the person next to you without the distraction.

I loved that about Les. He was our Grandpa. Someone who came from another era that could give us perspective without being preachy. Even better, he had one passion that bonded us all together so magnificently. The Seahawks.

I didn't get to know Les as well as his family did. Although I got to know him enough to know that he loved his family, his Daschunds, his Seahawks, his cars, among other manly things. And boy did he love us. This community. There's good reason there has been so many wonderful posts in this thread. He touched us all in ways many of us just cannot.

We are ALL so grateful that you left this world a Champion. How fitting. We did it my friend. We did it.

Awesome post Aros.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:47 am
  • I kinda wish you all would quit makin' me CRY...

I'm a grown man. Almost as old as Les. And I cry.

It blows to lose someone. And Radish was someone. He welcomed me to the board by asking me about Oroville. He'd heard of Oroville, Washington but not Oroville, California. WHO DOES THAT????? On a goofy message board about the Seahawks no less. What a wonderful man he was. I envy those who knew him.

Mark
    Oroville
    He mimed pooping the football.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    NorCalHawk12
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:16 pm
  • RIP I remember seeing his Avatar
    sig by Ramster
    The Battle #83
    NET Starter

Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:50 pm
  • Aros wrote:I know for a fact if Les were alive today to read these comments he would be floored. He would also have some smart-Les thing to say that only he could deliver in his own way. It is what endured us all to him. In the 16 years I have been here, nobody made this their home more than Les did. He was proud of his connections to this community. All you have to do is read through this thread to realize the impact he had on .NET members both new and old. That is a trait that cannot be replicated.

You were family.

Made me cry, Aros...

I always had a great interaction with Les.

In what little ways that I knew him, I could tell he was genuine and kind hearted ...

Sleep with the angles my brother, until we meet again ...
    I reject your reality and substitute my own
    HawkHouse
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:22 pm
  • RIP Radish. You were the first person I believe I ever interacted with on this board many, many, many years ago. Hope you enjoyed the view from above today.
    Casper
    NET Rookie

Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:10 pm
  • Les was easily my favorite poster on here for at least the last decade.

As a fan of awful jokes, I thought he was hilarious.

He was the beating heart of this board.

He will be missed.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:16 am
  • I've been away from the forums and missed this. It sucks, Radish was the best guy, always with a nice PM and kind or funny words. You all are used to it, but it's new to me, very sad, RIP Les.

PS it's probably the first time I ever shed a tear at e loss of someone I never actually met, who wasn't famous or influential, The man just has a heart of gold and it nearly always shined though in the way he handled himself here.
    SeAhAwKeR4life
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:53 pm
  • RIP - One of the good people out there. He will be missed, never forgotten.
    OlyHawk
    NET Rookie

Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:15 pm
  • Recently, I've probably spent more time PMing with Les than actual board posting/reading. The man was just recently asking me about my cat's state of health... Very mundane. Surreal conversation to end on.

My small stable of long-term friends got smaller. RIP, Les.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:41 am
  • I just read the last PM he had sent me... from 4 September. Didn't even notice it (I don't get on the board much anymore with my ship schedule).

I miss that big lug, and I'll miss his humor.
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *

Previous

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:10 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE ARCHIVES ]

Information