Les 'Radish' Norton - Memorial Service 9/27

A collection of NET's best and most memorable threads. Predictions, debates, laughs, and X's & O's. LANGUAGE RATING: PG to NC-17
  • Hello Everyone, this is Heather Owens, Les' daughter. Thank you for all the support and encouragement. My mother, Darlene has been able to read all your messages and she is grateful.

Les passed away Saturday, September 13th at home. Many of you know Les had open-heart surgery in March of this year (a quadruple bi-pass) and was still recovering but doing well. He left us quickly and peacefully for which we are thankful as he always said "I want it to be quick.".

He is survived by his wife, Darlene of 51 years. His son, Jim - who lives in Wyoming, two daughters Heather & Karri who both live in Seattle and 6 grandchildren (Taylor, Connor, Evan, Katie, Nathan & Emma).

We are holding a Memorial Service for Les on Saturday, September 27th @ 5pm at the VFW Post 51, located at 300 West Mission, Spokane, WA 99201. If you can make it, we'd love to see you and hear your stories/memories of Les. He loved the Seahawks and .net but most of all he loved the connections he made with the people involved in seahawks.net.

Regards,
    Heather Owens
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Thank you very much for posting this.
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Godspeed Les Norton, Godspeed.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• Know that those of us who cannot make it, wish we could be there. Your father will be sorely missed around here.
    Adopt A Rookie: Nick Vannett, TE - Ohio State University
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

• Just seeing one more post from "Radish" brought tears to my eyes.

Thanks for this note, and know that you're in our thoughts and prayers. Les leaves an amazing legacy here, and with many others he reached out to.
    NET Veteran

• Thank you, Heather.
    This info means a lot to us.
    Your Dad had friends all over the world via Seahawks.net

If only in spirit, please know that hundreds if not thousands of .netters will be with you at your Dads memorial.
    We all mourn with you and your family.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• Thank you, will be there in spirit and I'm taking my large 12th Man flag to the game with me on Sunday and will be raising it up in the air for Les from my seat.
    i5roadrunner
    NET Starter

• I told Darlene this morning that I'll be there, and I'll try my best to represent the love of this place for Les and your family. Thanks Heather.
    Love ya Les! You're in my thoughts every time I "Check my PM's"
    RockHawk
    * NET Landlord *

• RockHawk wrote:I told Darlene this morning that I'll be there, and I'll try my best to represent the love of this place for Les and your family. Thanks Heather.

I'm glad you'll be able to be there to represent for those of us who can only be there in spirit.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Thank you Heather.

I wish I could make it but I live out of state and can't however, I believe that most of us that can't be there will donate flowers or anything to help and make our presence known.

I knew Les personally when I lived in the NW, and even emailed him a picture of a race car on Thursday.

I was at the game Sunday with a heavy heart. Les will be missed by many and my condolences to you and your family.

Rob
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sadly I will not be able to attend on that day. I will be thinking of Darlene and family from now, the day of the memorial and beyond. Mark, thank you for being able to make it out. Please give her a hug for all of us.

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• All of us who can't make the trip can only hope that your memories will sustain you through this difficult time. Les will be sorely missed around here too. Godspeed Les, and bless you and your family.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

• Got home yesterday and could not read the post yet as it still has not sank in. Met him last year and found him to be a fantastic gentleman. Had many discussions since then about things we both know. My Condolences to you and your family.
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    RLKats..."Scott M. Made the niners good helped build the Hawks a bit (current GM is a bad ass). Quote me." So I did.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Our condolences to you and your family Darlene.
    I like the player and I want to bring him in,,
    ,,just show me the Starfax.
    woofu
    NET Veteran

• Thank you so much for posting this. Your father will be missed and thought of often.

My Condolences.
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

• pmedic920 wrote:Thank you, Heather.

If only in spirit, please know that hundreds if not thousands of .netters will be with you at your Dads memorial.

My sentiments exactly. This out-of-towner wishes to extend his deepest condolences to you and your family.

- Jeremy
    chawx
    NET Veteran

• I'm sorry that I can't be there (half around the globe is not in my budget), but I'll try to think of him at this time. :(
    The Delf
    NET Rookie

• If all of us that will be there in spirit were actually there in person, the place wouldn't be big enough.

Your dad will be sorely missed around here!
    Last edited by hawksfansinceday1 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Thank you Heather for posting this. I only knew Les from here but he was a great man, that just wanted everyone here to get along be nice to each other which in a huge forum like this isn't always an easy thing with so many different personalities.

From the stories I've read from others it seemed that he connected with everyone on some level whether it be cars, the military or for me bowling.

His presence here will be forever missed but his spirit will always live on! :)

My condolences to you and your family.
    Last edited by Sports Hernia on Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I will be there, and hopefully more Spoke-Folk will stop by.

FULL GAMEDAY DRESS REQUIRED.
    * NET Staff *

• I know you know this, but your Dad was a great man.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• Heather, My wife & I send our heartfelt condolences and prayers to you and your family. I never personally met your father but he helped me immensely (concerning this site) a few years back and I will always be grateful. Both my wife & I know what it is like to lose parents and that there is nothing anyone can say to ease your pain. Know that he was beloved here and that he welcomed everyone with open arms and words of encouragement. I will miss his guidance and goodwill. As will everyone on this board.

Wishing we could be there for you,

Sean & Suzy M.

Save a place at the table for us Big Willie.
    Kansashawkfan
    NET Veteran

• Thank you Heather for posting that but being in Missouri does make it impossible for me to be there but know he's deeply missed by all of .Net and will never be forgotten.

Johanna
    MizzouHawkGal
    .NET Protector of the Hotties

• if anyone is flying in or carpooling to the service let me know, I could be on a flight that arrives around 3pm if anybody could hook a brother up with a ride to the vfw or a ride back to the airport would be great, worst case I could rent a car.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• You and your family are in my thoughts Heather. I so wish I could be there for your wonderful mother. Her and your father have been so very kind to me. All my best.

Mark
    -------------------------------------
    Les
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

• Going to try to do all I can to make the trip.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• My body cant make Spokane but my heart will. All the best to all of you.
    Member of 39 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

Location: Victoria BC or my Galactic Stonghold on Nar Shaddaa

• Heather, if you didn't already know, your dad was one of the most respected people here on .NET.
    Always seemed to rise above all the silly arguments that crop up now and then.
    I sure hope that someone else can take the tiller, and keep this ship sailing in the right direction.
    Sometimes we all need someone like your pops to make us do a little more thinking, and soul searching.
    I'll be there in spirit, GOD SPEED Les......and GOD'S comfort to your MOM and to ALL his loved ones.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• Laloosh wrote:Know that those of us who cannot make it, wish we could be there. Your father will be sorely missed around here.

Well put. We all have heavy hearts for your loss.....as well as ours. Godspeed Les.
    sam1313
    NET Veteran

• Thank you Heather for posting this. I wish I could attend however, like many others here I live out of state and travel is not possible for us at this time. I only met your father once when I attended a game in fall of 2008 with my husband. We both thought Les was an incredible man from the brief time we met. Since then Les and I have been corresponding on this board. I am really going to miss his weekly messages to me. We developed a close 'on line' relationship and will always consider him a great friend and consider his passing a great loss for the world. We also met Darlene while were in Seattle. Please give her a gigantic hug for me and tell her that she is in my thoughts through this tough time for your family. God bless you. Your father will be missed dearly with many on this web site.

Andrea and Marty Bouwkamp
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

• Hey m0ng0

CHECK YOUR PMS

Top of the screen towards the right. (how'd I do fellas!)

John
    * NET Staff *

• Sending my thoughts across the Atlantic to you and yours.

Chuid eile i síocháin mo dheartháir.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain.
    HawksSoc
    NET Veteran

• Hawkstorian wrote:Hey m0ng0

CHECK YOUR PMS

John

Got it! Thanks boss!
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• Is there an address where those of us who are unable to attend in person but would like to send flowers?

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Hawkstorian wrote:Hey m0ng0

CHECK YOUR PMS

John

You did good sir.:)
    MizzouHawkGal
    .NET Protector of the Hotties

• pmedic920 wrote:Thank you, Heather.

This sums up how I feel exactly. I never got to meet Les, but the fact that he touched so many people (including myself briefly) can only be stated by me this way: I'm not an emotional person, but this loss to our community and your family brings tears to my eyes from a person I've never met before.

RIP Les, you will be missed.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• My condolences to the family.

Hawkstorian wrote:I will be there, and hopefully more Spoke-Folk will stop by.

Are you sure Hawkstorian? Wouldn't jerseys and such be tacky for a memorial service?
    "Are we rockin' and rollin' or what?!''

-- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com
    MLOhawks
    NET Veteran

• MLOhawks wrote:My condolences to the family.

Are you sure Hawkstorian? Wouldn't jerseys and such be tacky for a memorial service?

Not for a Pithy Radish memorial. :les:
    In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade.........

Paulie S.
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *

• I read this and started tearing up. Les and I had our differences, but we also had several behind the scene conversations about books, Neil Armstrong, and a few other things. Les wasn't afraid to call me out for being a idiot when it was warranted, but the man could discuss so many topics on highly intellectual level that you had to respect him. I'm gonna miss seeing "Donk, check your pm's" and having a great correspondence on the current topic that struck his fancy. Heather, please know that my heart is with you and your family during this difficult time. Please know that your father touched several people with his kindness and his doings on here. It may be cyber space, but your father made it feel much more than that.
    Donk70
    NET Veteran

• MLOhawks wrote:My condolences to the family.

Matters on the wishes of the person that passed. Had a neighborlady the passed about 20 years ago. She was a soccer coach and her request for her service was everyone where a jersey or shirt of thier favorite sports team and don't dress up.

When my aunt died 10 years ago, she requested "no ties" and come as you are (don't dress up).

When my number is up and if there was to be a service I want hawks jerseys or shirts to be worn and no dressing up, casual as can be as I am a jeans/shorts and T-shirt guy that hates dressing up.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I never had the opportunity to meet him, don't recall really conversing with him on here but I could only WISH to leave this type of impact on a group of non family members from all over the PLANET when I chuck the duece and meet my maker. So with that said, Rest Peacefully "RADISH" and pull some extra strings for our boys in battle. And to his wife and family /friends, you all consider yourself BLESSED to have had a guy like him as folk for however long. Condolences.
    "... She works at the Parisian, and this is Polo season..."
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran

• Best wishes to you and your family, Darlene and Heather. I'll offer my prayers during the memorial, if not my physical presence.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• So sorry. I got to sell tix to les once and always read his post with interest. My condolences.
    Larry0293
    NET Veteran

• Les' Obituary in today's Spokesman:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/spokes ... =172526906

June 11, 1943 - September 13, 2014 Les Norton was a man who threw himself whole-heartedly into everything he was passionate about. From an early age he fell in love with music and it sustained him the rest of his life. He was a beautiful singer and loved the guitar. His many other passions included: cars and racing, camping, travel, blimps, kites, planes (although not riding in them), pinball, photography, dahlias, wine, his family, cooking, and lastly the Seahawks. He was a well-known moderator at Seahawks.net and was known there as "pithyradish". Les and Darlene spent many years helping with Dog Rescue of Miniature Pinschers. He was a terrific father and friend. If ever you were in need, he was willing to jump in the car, even at 3 in the morning to come help. He lived and loved every moment to the fullest and despite having a rough upbringing; he rose above and was a successful family man. Those of us that survive him are heartbroken: Wife Darlene Norton; Sister Nancy Bryant; Children and Spouses Jim Norton, Heather and Kirby Owens, Karri Norton and Kevin Orme; Grandchildren Taylor, Connor, Evan, Katie, Nathan, and Emma; and many cousins and friends. A memorial service will be held Saturday, September 27th at 5pm at the VFW 51 on 300 W Mission in Spokane, Washington.
    * NET Staff *

• Thank you Heather for your post.

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend, living as I do in Britain, but my thoughts and condolences go to you, your mum and the rest of the family and friends, and I will be there in spirit.
    I am an American Football Noobie... Please be gentle!! :-)
    I'M IN AND I BELIEVE!
    LyndseyG
    NET Rookie

• I wish you and your family all the best. I know it's hard. I lost my father, age, 67 about a year ago. Just like your father will live on through what he has done here and in your lives, so too does my dad in his contributions at the clink...(he was a steel guy on its construction).

(At my dads service, it was Hawaiian shirts, mandatory...)
    YYZHawksFan
    NET Veteran

• Thanks for posting this. I started a new job this year (finally nailed down a full time teaching job, teaching History to Middle and High School students). As anyone who has ever taught before knows, teaching is one of those jobs that absorbs most of a person's time and energy during the school year, so I've been relegated to being much more of a lurker than a full time poster. Because of that, I had had no idea that Les had passed away until reading your post here. I am so sorry for your loss. I loved interacting with him through Seahawks.net -- he was not only a very knowledgeable Hawks fan, but had a fantastic wit and sense of humor to boot. I wish I'd had the opportunity to actually meet him in person. It sounds like he was one heck of a guy. I know this -- he's certainly going to be missed around here. I'm not going to be able to make the service (as I'm just too far away and completely immersed in school) ... but like many posters will be there in spirit. My thoughts and my prayers will be with you and your family during this most difficult time.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• Sad day today.
    My thoughts are with all, that loved and cared for Les.
    I'd like to encourage everybody to send prayers, happy thoughts, positive vibes, or whatever you do, towards Spokane.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• pmedic920 wrote:Sad day today.
    My thoughts are with all, that loved and cared for Les.
    I'd like to encourage everybody to send prayers, happy thoughts, positive vibes, or whatever you do, towards Spokane.

I woke up this morning knowing the service was today and came to post the same thing. I know it's not much but I just want his friends and family to know how much he is loved and missed. Thoughts and prayers go out to ell the people touched. Y Les' time with us.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• I had hoped on making the trip but as always family stuff happened, My prayers and support go to Darlene and family and friends. I hope that his farewell is as grand as the man was to all of us, a most deserving person there ever was. If you are all toasting a glass of Kick a Poo in his honor take a extra swig for me. God Bless Les and everyone there!

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

It is currently Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:17 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE ARCHIVES ]

Information