Ray Rice suspended for 2 games

Sac

Reaction score
Cartire":100lujye said:
Sgt. Largent":100lujye said:
This is not going to end well for Stephen A.

http://deadspin.com/first-take-discusse ... socialflow

That's right ladies, if you don't wanna get beat just STFU and don't provoke your man.

Please tell me #firestephenasmith is trending. Execs eat up those hashtags.
There really are some women who intentionally provoke that kind of reaction though. They know their man will get in big trouble if he laid a hand on them and many of them feel it gives them license to be as big of a bitch as possible.

I've seen women yelling at their boyfriends/husbands and slapping them and hitting them all while yelling "Do it! Hit me!" And calling them bitches if they don't.

Oh, but if they so much as push the chick away, not even hitting, then all hell breaks loose.

In that way, women are responsible.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3ul2sjrg said:
Cartire":3ul2sjrg said:
Sgt. Largent":3ul2sjrg said:

That's right ladies, if you don't wanna get beat just STFU and don't provoke your man.

There really are some women who intentionally provoke that kind of reaction though. They know their man will get in big trouble if he laid a hand on them and many of them feel it gives them license to be as big of a bitch as possible.

I've seen women yelling at their boyfriends/husbands and slapping them and hitting them all while yelling "Do it! Hit me!" And calling them bitches if they don't.

Oh, but if they so much as push the chick away, not even hitting, then all hell breaks loose.

uh...............................

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":1be8ohs6 said:
Cartire":1be8ohs6 said:
Sgt. Largent":1be8ohs6 said:

Like Chris Rock says "I don't condone hitting a woman, but I UNDERSTAND it."

But, there is never a good reason for spousal abuse. You just don't do it. Period. Especially when there's video of you pulling your unconscious wife out of an elevator by her hair.

For Stephen A. to try and rationalize what happened with Rice with what he said is just flat out stupid and can't be justified no matter how hard you try. It was just a dumb thing to say.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":qznmgrik said:
SacHawk2.0":qznmgrik said:
Cartire":qznmgrik said:
Sgt. Largent":qznmgrik said:

But, there is never a good reason for spousal abuse. You just don't do it. Period. Especially when there's video of you pulling your unconscious wife out of an elevator by her hair.

For Stephen A. to try and rationalize what happened with Rice with what he said is just flat out stupid and can't be justified no matter how hard you try. It was just a dumb thing to say.

I kinda understand what he was trying to say...

...mainly its just to tell women to protect themselves by not putting themselves in that situation...

...but I think it makes it sound way to much like "if you don't want to be raped don't wear skimpy clothes"...as if a woman walking around completely nude is an invitation to rape her.

Poorly, poorly worded on his behalf.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":17rlkflp said:
SacHawk2.0":17rlkflp said:
Cartire":17rlkflp said:
Sgt. Largent":17rlkflp said:

What if it is not her hair....but extensions??? Would that work? I am JESTING. Probably in bad taste but I thought it may be funny in this serious thread. Carry on.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Marvin49":37bye531 said:
SacHawk2.0":37bye531 said:
Cartire":37bye531 said:
Sgt. Largent":37bye531 said:

uh...............................

Sac's completely right. But It was dumb of Stephen A to say it when he did and how he said it

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":q10v1u1b said:
The day a pro athlete checks into Schick Shadel in Seattle instead of one of a million swanky rehab facilities all around California, I'll believe that he or she truly wants to rehabilitate.

Do you even know what they do to people at that hospital? Admittedly, an extreme illness necessitates extreme treatment, but damn, I have read stories about that place. It's surprising their methods are legal, to be honest.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":1dvkduib said:
Cartire":1dvkduib said:
Sgt. Largent":1dvkduib said:

It's never time to smack a *****. But it is often time to dump a *****.

kearly

Reaction score
I've never really thought of myself as anti-political correctness, but things have gotten out of hand lately. Even well reasoned, common sense, articulately explained positions are jumped all over in the media if they don't perfectly fit the PC narrative.

We have to remember that the process is as important as the goal. Progress is achieved through dialogue, not dictation.

The gist of Smith's comment is that sometimes, there is more than one person who bares responsibility. Maybe he should have emphasized "sometimes." But his meaning should have been easy to understand for most. Everyone in the media that is comparing it to statements he didn't make regarding rape, etc is either really bad at logic and/or is just being an asshole.

There are a lot of shitty people in the world, and I think some of the backlash you hear is simply because a lot of people won't pass up a socially sanctioned opportunity to be an asshole to a stranger.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":2ccl7auq said:
Do you even know what they do to people at that hospital? Admittedly, an extreme illness necessitates extreme treatment, but damn, I have read stories about that place. It's surprising their methods are legal, to be honest.
Yes. I have a family member and two friends that have all gone through it. It's a bitch, but it works.

Hardcore aversion therapy is no joke. I've not been through it myself, but there's a reason they are the world leader in alcohol addiction treatment. Not sure if they also lead for drug addiction treatment or not, but last I checked, their success rate for treating alcoholism is unparalleled the world over.

Anybody that is lurking that sees this, if you know someone that truly needs to be cured of alcoholism...Get them to check into Schick Shadel in Seattle. Do some research on it.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
kearly":2l5yfjsf said:
I've never really thought of myself as anti-political correctness, but things have gotten out of hand lately. Even well reasoned, common sense, articulately explained positions are jumped all over in the media if they don't perfectly fit the PC narrative.

We have to remember that the process is as important as the goal. Progress is achieved through dialogue, not dictation.

The gist of Smith's comment is that sometimes, there is more than one person who bares responsibility. Maybe he should have emphasized "sometimes." But his meaning should have been easy to understand for most. Everyone in the media that is comparing it to statements he didn't make regarding rape, etc is either really bad at logic and/or is just being an asshole.

There are a lot of shitty people in the world, and I think some of the backlash you hear is simply because a lot of people won't pass up a socially sanctioned opportunity to be an asshole to a stranger.

You brought this up in another thread when talking about Tony Dungy and you mentioned Mark Cuban, too.

I would say that each of those cases are unique. I agree with you re: Cuban because he was honestly being brave to admit that he is sometimes reflexively prejudiced. We ALL are, and his point was that we should realize when we are being that way and confront ourselves when we are. The minor backlash over that was just stupid; people weren't paying attention to what he was saying.

Dungy, I get why people were up in arms. He was essentially saying that Sam should get a chance, but he wouldn't give it to him. That's pretty egregious considering that Dungy needed someone else to give a black man a chance despite "the distractions" so that Dungy would be able to play, and later coach, in the NFL (wasn't Al Davis the first guy to hire a black head coach in the NFL, by the way? Was it Art Shell?).

With Smith, what he is saying does have merit, even if people are uncomfortable with the idea (sometimes, not all the time, women do goad men or other women in their relationships into physical altercations), but the issue is that in this case, when we have tape of Ray Rice drilling a woman in the face and dragging her out of the elevator, there is almost NO provocation, short of her pulling a gun on him, that would ever justify the KO punch (and even if he HAD to KO her, dragging her by the hair after that is unconscionable).

The context of what Rice did to his wife did not call for Smith choosing to address that position regarding women at all. It was inappropriate for this discussion. Furthermore, because there are still a number of guys out there that beat their wives without any provocation and those women are afraid to leave/stay in the relationship to get beaten, the topic is so delicate that I don't know why you'd have two morons like Smith and Bayless chirp about it on a show designed to sensationalize every topic it addresses anyway.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3clgb302 said:
kearly":3clgb302 said:

You brought this up in another thread when talking about Tony Dungy and you mentioned Mark Cuban, too.

I would say that each of those cases are unique. I agree with you re: Cuban because he was honestly being brave to admit that he is sometimes reflexively prejudiced. We ALL are, and his point was that we should realize when we are being that way and confront ourselves when we are. The minor backlash over that was just stupid; people weren't paying attention to what he was saying.

Dungy, I get why people were up in arms. He was essentially saying that Sam should get a chance, but he wouldn't give it to him. That's pretty egregious considering that Dungy needed someone else to give a black man a chance despite "the distractions" so that Dungy would be able to play, and later coach, in the NFL (wasn't Al Davis the first guy to hire a black head coach in the NFL, by the way? Was it Art Shell?).

With Smith, what he is saying does have merit, even if people are uncomfortable with the idea (sometimes, not all the time, women do goad men or other women in their relationships into physical altercations), but the issue is that in this case, when we have tape of Ray Rice drilling a woman in the face and dragging her out of the elevator, there is almost NO provocation, short of her pulling a gun on him, that would ever justify the KO punch (and even if he HAD to KO her, dragging her by the hair after that is unconscionable).

The context of what Rice did to his wife did not call for Smith choosing to address that position regarding women at all. It was inappropriate for this discussion. Furthermore, because there are still a number of guys out there that beat their wives without any provocation and those women are afraid to leave/stay in the relationship to get beaten, the topic is so delicate that I don't know why you'd have two morons like Smith and Bayless chirp about it on a show designed to sensationalize every topic it addresses anyway.

Here's the thing though. His fiance was also booked on simple assault. There's also footage of her hitting him and spitting at him. Now I don't condone striking women but I understand why/how someone could lose it and have to strike back. Women do that all the time. I don't know how many times I've seen a woman arguing with her man, slapping at him and pushing him and yelling "hit me! I dare you to! Hit me." Do that enough and you'll find someone that will hit you back

kearly

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2jgqrbgl said:

Glad to see we agree on Cuban. Regarding Dungy, it should not matter if he is African American or Christian when looking at his comments. All he said is what 31 other teams thought, including Pete Carroll, who said the same thing openly but escaped criticism. I think citing Dungy's race or religion and using that as a basis to read into things too much is bigoted in its own way.

With Rice, we didn't actually see the attack, we just saw that she was knocked out. Him dragging her around was just him trying to get her off the elevator, and most likely, to seek medical attention. What he did is inexcusable, I just don't find the dragging itself to be anything of note.

Warren Moon was once charged with domestic violence, but in court his then wife testified that she initiated the violence and the charge was dropped. They sought counseling together and though they eventually divorced, it wouldn't be until six years later. It would be the last time Warren Moon would lay a hand on a woman.

Ray Rice's wife has said similar things since the event, and Rice is not expected to face any criminal charges. The irony is, for as much shit as Goodell is getting for only handing out a 2 game suspension, its actually more of a punishment than the legal system handed out.

Some guys are just trash, and beat their women on a regular basis because of their own issues. Then, you have couples that are in very difficult relationships and the guy makes a mistake. As long as Rice is in that latter category, I'm not going to rush to demonize him. There is a huge difference between Ray Rice and a guy like Floyd Mayweather or OJ Simpson.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
kearly":sfto96n4 said:
Smelly McUgly":sfto96n4 said:

Glad to see we agree on Cuban. Regarding Dungy, it should not matter if he is African American or Christian when looking at his comments. All he said is what 31 other teams thought, including Pete Carroll, who said the same thing openly but escaped criticism. I think citing Dungy's race or religion and using that as a basis to read into things too much is bigoted in its own way.

With Rice, we didn't actually see the attack, we just saw that she was knocked out. Him dragging her around was just him trying to get her off the elevator, and most likely, to seek medical attention. What he did is inexcusable, I just don't find the dragging itself to be anything of note.

Warren Moon was once charged with domestic violence, but in court his then wife testified that she initiated the violence and the charge was dropped. They sought counseling together and though they eventually divorced, it wouldn't be until six years later. It would be the last time Warren Moon would lay a hand on a woman.

Ray Rice's wife has said similar things since the event, and Rice is not expected to face any criminal charges. The irony is, for as much shit as Goodell is getting for only handing out a 2 game suspension, its actually more of a punishment than the legal system handed out.

Some guys are just trash, and beat their women on a regular basis because of their own issues. Then, you have couples that are in very difficult relationships and the guy makes a mistake. As long as Rice is in that latter category, I'm not going to rush to demonize him. There is a huge difference between Ray Rice and a guy like Floyd Mayweather or OJ Simpson.

I do think your points are fair except for your assertion that bringing up Dungy's conservative religious views (that he has publicly offered) or his race (in this context, in which his inability to empathize is laid bare) is at all bigoted.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":txux7xpu said:
Cartire":txux7xpu said:
Sgt. Largent":txux7xpu said:

If this happens to you (which I agree it goes on more than women will admit) GTFO of the relationship IMMEDIATELY!! I speak from experience though I did not strike her in any way, shape or form and never would have. She was drunk on her ass, obnoxious and verbally baiting the shit out of me. I was stone cold sober. Not a good combination if you're the sober one. I grabbed her by the shoulders firmly but not roughly, sat her down on the couch to explain why she was being a drunk, obnoxious bitch and she called the cops who promptly took me to jail for the night because I touched her. Domestic violence laws and all. It was all she could do to convince the prosecuter to not charge me once the next day rolled around and she sobered up and realized her behavior had precipitated the whole thing.
Sadly, instead of leaving right then and there which I strongly considered, I stayed and in the long run (15 years later basically) that proved to be a mistake as the relationship eventually dissolved anyway. It was indicator of her base personality I ignored and shouldn't have.

I am in no way am mentioning this to defend Ray Rice. There is no defending what he did and how he acted. All I'm saying here is that Sac's point is valid and this shit does happen. Like I said, don't take the bait. Just get out of the relationship and do it yesterday.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":zz35hsr8 said:
SacHawk2.0":zz35hsr8 said:
Cartire":zz35hsr8 said:
Sgt. Largent":zz35hsr8 said:

If this happens to you (which I agree it goes on more than women will admit) GTFO of the relationship IMMEDIATELY!! I speak from experience though I did not strike her in any way, shape or form and never would have. She was drunk on her ass, obnoxious and verbally baiting the shit out of me. I was stone cold sober. Not a good combination if you're the sober one. I grabbed her by the shoulders firmly but not roughly, sat her down on the couch to explain why she was being a drunk, obnoxious bitch and she called the cops who promptly took me to jail for the night because I touched her. Domestic violence laws and all. It was all she could do to convince the prosecuter to not charge me once the next day rolled around and she sobered up and realized her behavior had precipitated the whole thing.
Sadly, instead of leaving right then and there which I strongly considered, I stayed and in the long run (15 years later basically) that proved to be a mistake as the relationship eventually dissolved anyway. It was indicator of her base personality I ignored and shouldn't have.

I am in no way am mentioning this to defend Ray Rice. There is no defending what he did and how he acted. All I'm saying here is that Sac's point is valid and this shit does happen. Like I said, don't take the bait. Just get out of the relationship and do it yesterday.
Great advice, where there is smoke, there is usually fire.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Stephen A.'s heartfelt (not) PR damage control apology took three days longer than I thought it would.

My series of tweets a short time ago is not an adequate way to capture my thoughts so I am using a single tweet via Twitlonger to more appropriately and effectively clarify my remarks from earlier today about the Ray Rice situation. I completely recognize the sensitivity of the issues and the confusion and disgust that my comments caused. First off, as I said earlier and I want to reiterate strongly, it is never OK to put your hands on a women. Ever. I understand why that important point was lost in my other comments, which did not come out as I intended. I want to state very clearly. I do NOT believe a woman provokes the horrible domestic abuses that are sadly such a major problem in our society. I wasn’t trying to say that or even imply it when I was discussing my own personal upbringing and the important role the women in my family have played in my life. I understand why my comments could be taken another way. I should have done a better job articulating my thoughts and I sincerely apologize.

sas-2.gif