Niners whine about officiating

kearly

Reaction score
Marvin49":10qfjmcx said:
49er%2Bhit%2Bon%2Bdrew%2Bstanton.gif

....you can't be serious.

He used the forearm to brace his fall.

That is a top five all time Marvin moment right there.

As others have pointed out, you can't make contact with the helmet of a player once he begins his slide. It's right there in the rulebook. Skuta kind of uses the back of his shoulder, and perhaps his forearm too (kinda hard to tell), but however he did it, it's unambiguously clear that Stanton took a massive blow the head from Skuta after starting his slide.

With regards to Pereira, he was under the false impression that the protection only begins after being on the ground, but the rule (Rule 7, section 2, article 1, sub-clause D (1) ) clearly states specifically that head protection begins at the start of the slide attempt.

Sherminator

Reaction score
kearly":6owafy6m said:
Marvin49":6owafy6m said:
49er%2Bhit%2Bon%2Bdrew%2Bstanton.gif

....you can't be serious.

He used the forearm to brace his fall.

That is a top five all time Marvin moment right there.

As others have pointed out, you can't make contact with the helmet of a player once he begins his slide. It's right there in the rulebook. Skuta kind of uses the back of his shoulder, and perhaps his forearm too (kinda hard to tell), but however he did it, it's unambiguously clear that Stanton took a massive blow the head from Skuta after starting his slide.

With regards to Pereira, he was under the false impression that the protection only begins after being on the ground, but the rule (Rule 7, section 2, article 1, sub-clause D (1) ) clearly states specifically that head protection begins at the start of the slide attempt.

I would agree with this post except that Skuta clearly hit his shoulder.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Weird to see people argue over this Skuta thing. This is the first I've seen of it, and to me, it's an obvious, easy call all day and all night. I want that flagged no matter who's dishing it out and who's absorbing it.

Seriously, this is the kind of casual, needless brutality that doesn't really do much for football. Is it fun watching dudes get injured? Does that make the game better or more exciting? How on earth do shots like this make the game better?

GeekHawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":19sovbyz said:
Marvin49":19sovbyz said:
Its gotten to the point were big hits are flagged automatically...just because they are big hits.

I agree. We have seen this far too many times with our own Defense.

It started 2 years ago with the Kam-Bam vs Vernon Davis hit. Absolutely not one thing wrong, the helmets were nowhere each other, Kam gets a flag and Davis gets: 1) a concussion when his head hits the inside of his butthole; and 2) alligator arms for the next 2 years.

Whiner fans have been bitching about that hit ever since, and now they're complaining about being on the receiving end? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...... :mrgreen: :thumbup:

Marvin49

Reaction score
GeekHawk":3vac21b7 said:
HawkFan72":3vac21b7 said:
Marvin49":3vac21b7 said:
Its gotten to the point were big hits are flagged automatically...just because they are big hits.

I agree. We have seen this far too many times with our own Defense.

It started 2 years ago with the Kam-Bam vs Vernon Davis hit. Absolutely not one thing wrong, the helmets were nowhere each other, Kam gets a flag and Davis gets: 1) a concussion when his head hits the inside of his butthole; and 2) alligator arms for the next 2 years.

Whiner fans have been bitching about that hit ever since, and now they're complaining about being on the receiving end? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...... :mrgreen: :thumbup:

Oh please. Started long before that. You guys remember that his much more than anyone else does. I do agree though that it was a clean hit.

Donte Whitner was hit with like 4 or 5 of those last year and was never fined once.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":36olxrb0 said:
Weird to see people argue over this Skuta thing. This is the first I've seen of it, and to me, it's an obvious, easy call all day and all night. I want that flagged no matter who's dishing it out and who's absorbing it.

Seriously, this is the kind of casual, needless brutality that doesn't really do much for football. Is it fun watching dudes get injured? Does that make the game better or more exciting? How on earth do shots like this make the game better?

+1

No way would I defend this if a Seahawks player hit a QB in the neck area like this.

Sherminator

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":famt2sj4 said:
Marvin49":famt2sj4 said:
Not going to argue. Pointless.

This sums up your entire presence on this forum.

I've never really gotten the point of disrespecting people just because of their sports teams.
I grew up a Niner fan because geographically they are the closest team.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2ev6ehsp said:
There were two blatant cheap shots on Stanton. They were so bad the TV broadcasters in the UK (showing Seattle vs Denver) pulled them off redzone to show to the audience.

Get a grip.

I'd like to draw attention to this as I think it's quite telling and I came on to say the same. These hits were considered bad enough to warrant redzone highlights during the broadcast of a different game.

Both times the analyst talked about the incoming fines. The other hit was by Jimmie Ward.

Sherminator

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":162vfcu4 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":162vfcu4 said:
There were two blatant cheap shots on Stanton. They were so bad the TV broadcasters in the UK (showing Seattle vs Denver) pulled them off redzone to show to the audience.

Get a grip.

I'd like to draw attention to this as I think it's quite telling and I came on to say the same. These hits were considered bad enough to warrant redzone highlights during the broadcast of a different game.

Both times the analyst talked about the incoming fines. The other hit was by Jimmie Ward.

If Skuta gets fined I will stop posting on this board, I can promise you that.
If he doesn't you claim your bandwagon love for the hawks in a separate thread, created by you.

Deal?

NINEster

Reaction score
The 49er complaints about penalties has much more to do with timeliness than actual quantity. Filed under the statistic of 3rd down conversions allowed through penalty, the 49ers are easily tops in the league in that category with nobody a close #2.

Some of that is warranted, some of it isn't. But in all of my years watching football of all teams, not just 49ers, I can't recall so many penalties extending drives like I've seen in this year's team.

Seattle might have been the most penalized team in the league last year, but I cannot recall one instance where they lost a game or had a major momentum swing allow a comeback because of it.

The minute the Seahawks lose a game this year (or next) where at least one or two scoring drives were caused by a penalty extending it, it will blow quite a few gaskets around here, guaranteed. :th2thumbs:

Seahawks/Broncos game was called very tight by comparison, which is what I would prefer in general but sucks to see the difference in calling that game versus many other games around the league so far this season.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Sherminator":g6a4y7ps said:
UK_Seahawk":g6a4y7ps said:
theENGLISHseahawk":g6a4y7ps said:

Get a grip.

If Skuta gets fined I will stop posting on this board, I can promise you that.
If he doesn't you claim your bandwagon love for the hawks in a separate thread, created by you.

Deal?

I've already claimed my love for the Hawks and everybody has to start supporting their team at some point. Does me being a fan of the Seahawks in 1984 as an 8 year old boy count as a bandwagon fan?

I suspect most niner fans are bandwagoners it's just they jumped on years ago as there hasnt been a bandwagon to jump on since.

Stop being silly.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
NINEster":3mkqtabb said:
The 49er complaints about penalties has much more to do with timeliness than actual quantity. Filed under the statistic of 3rd down conversions allowed through penalty, the 49ers are easily tops in the league in that category with nobody a close #2.

Some of that is warranted, some of it isn't. But in all of my years watching football of all teams, not just 49ers, I can't recall so many penalties extending drives like I've seen in this year's team.

Seattle might have been the most penalized team in the league last year, but I cannot recall one instance where they lost a game or had a major momentum swing allow a comeback because of it.

The minute the Seahawks lose a game this year (or next) where at least one or two scoring drives were caused by a penalty extending it, it will blow quite a few gaskets around here, guaranteed. :th2thumbs:

Seahawks/Broncos game was called very tight by comparison, which is what I would prefer in general but sucks to see the difference in calling that game versus many other games around the league so far this season.

We had the call against Bruce Irvin on 3rd down against the Chargers that was a huge penalty.

Maulbert

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":127eljzc said:
NINEster":127eljzc said:

We had the call against Bruce Irvin on 3rd down against the Chargers that was a huge penalty.

Quite warranted, too. I practically had a conniption when Irvin shoved Rivers. I genuinely believe Irvin's shove was half the reason we lost that game (Harvin's fumble being the other half).

Phteven

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":1tfzpdmv said:

Agreed. I'm reading through the thread, watching the gif over and over, and it is just a no brainer. It's close, but it's the kind of cheap shot that should clearly be called. There have been questionable calls so far this year. The Skuta hit isn't one of them.

hawksfanohio

Reaction score
NINEster":3jaorc9x said:

Did you see the Colts game last year?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sherminator":3fw2etqh said:
I would agree with this post except that Skuta clearly hit his shoulder.
"Clearly"? Um, not even. Maybe? Yes. But maybe his head too. Would love to have seen it in slo-mo.
Regardless, his slide had already begun and your team's player made ZERO effort to pull up or otherwise stop his momentum. What is seen "clearly" here is that there was at minimum an attempt to intimidate and it's possible there was intent to injure. If the roles had been reversed and it was your boy Krapperdink on the receiving end of a hit like this, there would be no discussion here other than possibly your team's fans being outraged over a cheap shot on your QB.

For Marvin to say he was "breaking his fall" and for you to minimize this by saying all he did was "hit his shoulder" is a new low of blind homerism for you Whiner fans on these boards IMO. Please just go to Denial Zone where the rest of your type of fan exists. That type of fan is rarely seen here and the proof of that is in the reaction to Irvin pushing Rivers after Rivers was OOB last week. To my knowledge there was NOT ONE SINGLE Hawks fan here that said the penalty wasn't warranted. ALL the anger here was directed at Irvin's stupidity on the play.

Brahn

Reaction score
Marvin49":1xgorcdw said:
Brahn":1xgorcdw said:
Marvin49":1xgorcdw said:
Brahn":1xgorcdw said:
League Leaders in Penalties
#1 Niners 36 (1-2)
#2 Pittsburgh 31 (2-1)
#3 Patriots 30 (2-1)
#4 Chiefs 29 (1-2)

Tenn 14 Penalties (1-2)
TB 16 Penalties (0-3)

Niners are League Leaders in Penalties

Illegal Contact (5 Times) (#2 NY Giants 4 Times)
Making significant contact with a receiver after the receiver has advanced five yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Exceptions: The illegal contact is called only if the quarterback is still in pocket and the ball is still in his hands.
**Automatic 1st Down**

Illegal use of hands (5 Times) (#2 DET/ATL 3)
Illegal use of the hands against a player while attempting to ward off a block, cover a receiver, or tackle a ball carrier. There are several restrictions on how a player may initiate contact, such as hands to the facemask of the other player involved in the blocking.
**10 yards if committed by offense; 5 yards and automatic first down if committed by defense**

Offensive Holding (7 Times) (#2 TENN/NE/HOU/CLE 6)
A foul in which an offensive player keeps a defender from advancing by grasping him with his hands or arms.
**10 yards**

Unnecessary Roughness (5 Times) (#2 TB/PITT/TENN 4)
A conduct- or safety-related infraction such as hitting a ball carrier after he is already out of bounds, "piling on" a ball carrier who is already down, or violent contact with an opponent who is away from and out of the play.
**15 yards; automatic first down if committed by defense**

Niners are the league fewest flag team in regards to

Unsportsmanlike Conduct
Offensive Pass Interference
Neutral Zone Infraction
Face Mask
Defensive Pass Interference
Defensive Holding

---------------------------------------------------

Niners lead the league in 4 Categories by an average roughly 1 penalty
They are the fewest in 6 categories

Yup, Refs are just picking on the poor Niners

Every season someone has to be the leader in penalties. Last Season it was the Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks, we were called cheaters and any reason we brought about why the calls were bogus were shrugged off. We won it all despite the monkier.

All of a sudden the Niners are the Thugs and Undisciplined cheats. You know all that illegal holding the HAwks are known for?

Seattle 0 Illegal Contact Calls

“We’re not fighting or resisting the changes that are here, We’re trying to adapt and go with it.” - Coach Carroll

Time to adapt or die, your Coach had better learn to be a Marine if he wishes to yell like one.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/

Nobody picking on the Niners. LOL.

Some HORRIBLE calls and ALOT of rightly earned ones.

So pretty much the same for every team over the course of the season?

The problem is no other team has fans claiming it's all an NFL conspiracy.

Only those fans of a team that are watching all that bravado spewed over the last 4 season going down the drain because the season of the "Ref". I mean you are so amazing at football only the refs and the NFL working together can derail the thrill train.

I agree the Hit on Willis is bonkers much like the hit on Brees last season. That hit on the sliding QB was illegal and a right call. When you play aggressive game you will be penalized more (Hawks top penalty team 2014), no one here was saying it was the Refs trying to job us, even when we had terrible calls. Your team has to win no matter what, the Refs are not holding receivers and committing personal fouls or using racial slurs. So they make 2 bad calls a game, championship teams overcome this by not adding their own to the total.

It seems the difference is Aggressiveness vs Disciplined Aggressiveness. Also teams that tend to be less athletic or not as conditioned will have more penalties usually. Niners are way to athletic to have that be the issue, my guess is it is either conditioning and/or disciplined football.

Two of the top 4 teams in penalties are 2-1. Adapt and overcome, this is a coaching issue if they are unable to do so.

Am I saying they lost because of the officiating? EVERY team has fans claiming conspiracy when the calls go the wrong way. Don't paint me with that brush because I've never said that and have in fact argued the opposite.

I never mentioned you directly in your last quote, if you felt you fit in the group mentioned then that is on you and not me.

Every team? Do we blanket to deflect still?

Crazy how often "Everyone Else Does It" comes out of the mouth of certain people, When trying to make or defend a point.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Brahn":1ej6afqd said:
Marvin49":1ej6afqd said:
Brahn":1ej6afqd said:
Marvin49":1ej6afqd said:
Am I saying they lost because of the officiating? EVERY team has fans claiming conspiracy when the calls go the wrong way. Don't paint me with that brush because I've never said that and have in fact argued the opposite.

I never mentioned you directly in your last quote, if you felt you fit in the group mentioned then that is on you and not me.

Every team? Do we blanket to deflect still?

Crazy how often "Everyone Else Does It" comes out of the mouth of certain people, When trying to make or defend a point.

I'm not defending conspiracy theorists. I think they are ludicrous.

MY point is to get off the high horse because thinking its a conspiracy isn't the sole domain of 49er fans. It comes from ANY fanbase that thinks they are getting robbed for one reason or another.