Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Rams Stadium Delayed

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Rams Stadium Delayed
Thu May 18, 2017 3:52 pm

Re: Rams Stadium Delayed
Thu May 18, 2017 7:56 pm
  • The best part is the Chargers playing in the soccer stadium when they could still be playing in San Diego.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Fri May 19, 2017 9:56 am
  • sdog1981 wrote:The best part is the Chargers playing in the soccer stadium when they could still be playing in San Diego.

This doesn't make sense at all...they can't use the Rose Bowl or the LA Coliseum? Why play in a stadium that only seats 27,000 - 30,000 max. If they can't sell out games at that stadium that would really bad...should've just stayed in SD. They could always move to Oakland...
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Fri May 19, 2017 10:15 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:The best part is the Chargers playing in the soccer stadium when they could still be playing in San Diego.

This doesn't make sense at all...they can't use the Rose Bowl or the LA Coliseum? Why play in a stadium that only seats 27,000 - 30,000 max. If they can't sell out games at that stadium that would really bad...should've just stayed in SD. They could always move to Oakland...

Yup, I imagine the Chargers brass isn't all that enthused about the situation right now. It's not like these organizations get rich off of ticket sales, but I imagine they're going to be cutting that revenue in half until they're set up shop in a proper stadium.

It's weird to think that both the Chargers and Rams are going to be in the LA market now. I wouldn't be surprised if the Chargers end up having a much larger fan base than the Rams in the next 5-10 years, considering they're from just down the road vs. St. Louis.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Fri May 19, 2017 10:56 am
  • Well, it's not like the Rams are strangers to LA . . . .
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Mon May 22, 2017 2:20 am
  • I went to the last two Seahawks at Rams games, one in St. Louis and the next at Los Angeles. I remember thinking what a dated, bland place the dome was in St Louis, like what the kingdome would be like today.

Then at LA, I realized how nice the dome actually was, because the LA Coliseum is a serious dump and not a good place for nfl football. Poor concession layout (impossible to get around when it's full) and weird seating arrangement.

Plus, the Dome was in a very decent, walkable part of town but the la stadium is in a hell hole with difficult access.

In any case... I'm sure the new place will be a paradise where the "Ram Rules" can be luxuriously enforced.
    minormillikin
    NET Veteran

Mon May 22, 2017 7:06 am
  • HawkGA wrote:Well, it's not like the Rams are strangers to LA . . . .

Yeah, what a strange comment. I have to remind myself all the time that we have a younger generation of fans.
    FlyHawksFly
    NET Veteran

Mon May 22, 2017 2:12 pm
  • FlyHawksFly wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:Well, it's not like the Rams are strangers to LA . . . .

Yeah, what a strange comment. I have to remind myself all the time that we have a younger generation of fans.

Of course they're not strangers to LA, but they were gone for 20 years and from what I remember LA fans were pretty upset about losing the Rams to St. Louis; not to mention it's widely cited that the Rams didn't have a very good fan base before Georgia Fronteire moved the team. 20 years and that's an entire generation of fans that likely decided they'd root for SD, OAK or SF, plus all of the estranged fans that won't give the Rams franchise the time of day because of what happened in the 90's. I imagine the majority of fans in the St. Louis area aren't going to be following the Rams organization halfway across the country... meanwhile fans who care to stay loyal to the Chargers are located *gaaaaasp* within a few hours of driving. Granted, they're going to lose some fans, but it's going to be nowhere near the level of abandonment that the Rams franchise has faced over the last three decades.

I think the Chargers are going to, maybe unexpectedly, have the better hold of the LA market. I don't know enough Chargers/Rams fans or pay that much attention to the overall sentiments down there, but it's something that wouldn't surprise me in the least.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Mon May 22, 2017 2:26 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:Of course they're not strangers to LA, but they were gone for 20 years and from what I remember LA fans were pretty upset about losing the Rams to St. Louis; not to mention it's widely cited that the Rams didn't have a very good fan base before Georgia Fronteire moved the team. 20 years and that's an entire generation of fans that likely decided they'd root for SD, OAK or SF, plus all of the estranged fans that won't give the Rams franchise the time of day because of what happened in the 90's. I imagine the majority of fans in the St. Louis area aren't going to be following the Rams organization halfway across the country... meanwhile fans who care to stay loyal to the Chargers are located *gaaaaasp* within a few hours of driving. Granted, they're going to lose some fans, but it's going to be nowhere near the level of abandonment that the Rams franchise has faced over the last three decades.

I think the Chargers are going to, maybe unexpectedly, have the better hold of the LA market. I don't know enough Chargers/Rams fans or pay that much attention to the overall sentiments down there, but it's something that wouldn't surprise me in the least.

STFU! Now I feel old. Has it really been that long? Crap.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Mon May 22, 2017 2:34 pm
  • :lol: stop aging yourself!
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Tue May 23, 2017 6:31 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    FlyHawksFly wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:Well, it's not like the Rams are strangers to LA . . . .

Of course they're not strangers to LA, but they were gone for 20 years and from what I remember LA fans were pretty upset about losing the Rams to St. Louis; not to mention it's widely cited that the Rams didn't have a very good fan base before Georgia Fronteire moved the team. 20 years and that's an entire generation of fans that likely decided they'd root for SD, OAK or SF, plus all of the estranged fans that won't give the Rams franchise the time of day because of what happened in the 90's. I imagine the majority of fans in the St. Louis area aren't going to be following the Rams organization halfway across the country... meanwhile fans who care to stay loyal to the Chargers are located *gaaaaasp* within a few hours of driving. Granted, they're going to lose some fans, but it's going to be nowhere near the level of abandonment that the Rams franchise has faced over the last three decades.

There were still a ton of Rams fans in the LA area, their move was definitely less of a fiasco than the Chargers move. I think you underestimate how many people HATE the Spanos family, on top of the Chargers have one of the smaller fan bases to begin with. The ONLY hope Chargers have is if they become a dominant team, which looking at their front office and roster is probably a long shot.
    Last edited by FlyHawksFly on Tue May 23, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    FlyHawksFly
    NET Veteran

Tue May 23, 2017 9:32 am
  • FlyHawksFly wrote:There were still a ton of Rams fans in the LA area, their move was definitely less of a fiasco than the Chargers move. I think you underestimate how many people HATE the Spanish family, on top of the Chargers have one of the smaller fan bases to begin with. The ONLY hope Chargers have is if they become a dominant team, which looking at their front office and roster is probably a long shot.

Thanks for the insight.

I think I was having some revisionist history and correlating the Rams' attendance/popularity based off of hearing they were getting poor TV ratings last season. After doing some reading on the Rams last season, they actually had the second highest attendance in the league (granted, the Coliseum holds like 93K or something like that).

Add to that how consistently bad the Rams org. has been over the last decade and I figured they would be LA's red-headed-sports-step-child. I'm genuinely interested to see how the LA market shakes out, though. I don't have any type of rooting interest, but I'll admit that I'll root for the Chargers over the Rams as long as they're in our division.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Tue May 23, 2017 3:17 pm
  • Lol - lost the Super Bowl to tampa now
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Wed May 24, 2017 9:53 am
  • mikeak wrote:Lol - lost the Super Bowl to tampa now

What a pile of feces! We've never had a Super Bowl.....and they grant it to Tampa Bay?
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

Wed May 24, 2017 10:00 am
  • Bigpumpkin wrote:
    mikeak wrote:Lol - lost the Super Bowl to tampa now

What a pile of feces! We've never had a Super Bowl.....and they grant it to Tampa Bay?

Seattle doesn't meet the weather requirement (can't be fixed but can be waived) nor the seat requirement (could be fixed)
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Wed May 24, 2017 11:54 am
  • mikeak wrote:
    Bigpumpkin wrote:

Seattle doesn't meet the weather requirement (can't be fixed but can be waived) nor the seat requirement (could be fixed)

There was also concern about having enough hotel space for the influx of people.
    FlyHawksFly
    NET Veteran

Wed May 24, 2017 1:11 pm
  • FlyHawksFly wrote:
    mikeak wrote:
    Bigpumpkin wrote:

There was also concern about having enough hotel space for the influx of people.

This is a big one. I work in the tourism industry on the IT side. We have decent hotel capacity for our current convention capacity and the bids that go out to various associations. The Superbowl would eat up so much of that to the point that people who wanted to come as spectators would probably wind up in hotels as far out Federal Way with a normal hotel flow in Feb. Surprisingly we do a nice clip of business in Feb due to being competitive against other cities like KC, Detroit, Minneapolis, etc etc that suffer from inclement weather for winter convention bids.

Another thing that comes into play is the amount of comp room nights the NFL would command for the sake of itself - Hotels aren't going to eat the revpar handing out comps without rebates from the Seattle CVB - the CVB has an 8 million dollar a year budget.
    Who fires people investigating them? Guilty people.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Wed May 24, 2017 1:17 pm
  • ^ Jacksonville brought in multiple cruise ships to fix that problem. Couldn't Seattle do the same?
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Wed May 24, 2017 5:55 pm
  • mikeak wrote:^ Jacksonville brought in multiple cruise ships to fix that problem. Couldn't Seattle do the same?

Potentially - we have cruise terminals that aren't really being used during Feb - most Seattle traffic is from May to September before they reposition down to LA. I'm sure that charters could be arranged but would require some finagling with the Port of Seattle.
    Who fires people investigating them? Guilty people.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Thu May 25, 2017 4:39 am
  • Kinda glad they changed the venue for the Owl. One year is not long enough for all the bugs to be worked out in a new stadium. Also the security would not be up to spec with all the other bugs adding to the chaos. That is one rule I could go with...that is not being able to host an Owl in the inception year of a new facility......and the stadium too. :twisted:
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat. MEOW.......
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 11:03 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information