NFL Overtime now 10 minutes

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":b2k0dpi7 said:
Don't see a problem with reducing to 10 minutes. Extended time only affects 1.5% of all OT contests anyway.

I'd be willing to bet that not allowing a team to retie in OT affects more than 1.5% of OT games.

May I ask where you got these numbers? You coud mean something different by extended time? They don't look right and don't appear to jive with the numbers I have seen coming up with the announcement of this rule change. One article cites that 22 of a total of 83 overtime games in the last 5 seasons have exceeded 10 minutes (that is an astounding 26.5%!). Of those, 5 ended in a tie. The article I link minimizes the impact, but a projeccted increase from 1 tie per year to 3.2 is huge. (over 300% increase).

Going back further in time, I see data that says from 1974 to 2003 there were 324 overtime games with 15 resulting in ties (4.6%). The ruleset/kick-off placement was very different during that time hedging even further against the likelyhood of a tie and yet it still far exceeds the 1.5% number you note above.

I would suggest, based on this data, that this rule change will have a significant impact, greatly increasing the number of ties we see, and feel it isn't a good thing.

Referece: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ers-approve-shortening-overtime-to-10-minutes

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":2c9csgsb said:
sdog1981":2c9csgsb said:
Do they want more ties?

They want less plays, but teams will just run a hurry up to fit more plays into the allotted time. Bad idea all the way around.
This. The second team to possess the ball is very liable to do this.

mikeak":2c9csgsb said:
I would prefer a shootout format

5 plays from 10 yard line. You score 6 or 0 on each play. Pure shootout
Ew gross. :177692:

sdog1981

Reaction score
Looks like the math-nicks at FiveThirtyEight crunched the numbers. They have found with this new rule 19 percent of overtime games will end in a tie. They need to bring back the 1974-2011 rule that resulted in 2 percent of all overtime games ending in ties. Since 2012 6 percent of overtime games have ended in a tie, so yes you are seeing more ties than ever before.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/do ... e-in-luck/

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Maybe it is because I am in the UK and am used to soccer but I don't see the problem with tie games.

Some of the tie-break procedures are weird, H2H favors whoever happened to be at home, then you could have a situation where if we tie with (say) the Cowboys we beat them on H2H but if the Panthers are also in the tie (who we don't play) the Cowboys could win on conference record of strength of victory.

While ties don't rule out the possibility of tiebreaks they reduce the chance of then, especially if a tie only counts as 0.49 of a win (so 10-6 beats 9-5-2)

Let's get rid of OT completely (in the regular season), the TV companies would probably like it too as is means their schedules don't get disrupted.

Latest posts