Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Cyrus12":kenbxr0a said:
Sports Hernia":kenbxr0a said:
Cyrus12":kenbxr0a said:
Just delaying the inevitable. Hope it sticks
It will stick, just a matter of when.

Odds are he'll do something stupid between now and next year as well.

If he keeps pissing off Rog, there may some "random" drug tests in his future, and as big of a weed head this guy is it would be trouble.

He reminds me of Aldon Smith.

He should be suspended for trying to bring back the half cut puma shirts..

C'mon now....we all used to wear those half cut shirts......

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why the NFLPA/Elliot are continuing to fight this. If it's collectively bargained that the Commissioner can pass down punishments he deems fit, there's really nothing they can do about it.

Just seems like prolonging the inevitable as Cyrus said. I'm guessing that if the Cowboys continue to lose this year, say they lose 8 games by week 11, they'll just say "screw it" and ride the suspension out, otherwise they're going to be hurting their chances next year for no particular reason other than dragging their feet trying to get the better of Goodell - which isn't going to happen.

Staff Edit:
For language.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":ob9tdg0d said:
I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why the NFLPA/Elliot are continuing to fight this. If it's collectively bargained that the Commissioner can pass down punishments he deems fit, there's really nothing they can do about it.
A lot of people hate Goodell, this is a chance to throw a little more gas on that fire. Plus, I think the NFLPA likes fighting the commissioner just for the hell of it. It probably helps them justify their union dues in the eyes of the players.

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000862738/article/ezekiel-elliott-files-injunction-request-in-ny-court[/urltargetblank]

NFL Players Association lawyers representing Ezekiel Elliott filed a motion for a temporary restraining order and a preliminary injunction in U.S. district court in an effort to get the Dallas Cowboys running back on the field as soon as possible. The union asked the court for a decision to be made by 4 p.m. ET Tuesday.

"The NFLPA and Elliott, therefore, are stuck in procedural limbo and must turn to this Court for preliminary injunctive relief to prevent imminent and irreparable harm to Elliott," NFLPA lawyers wrote in their request.

The filing in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York came prior to a Tuesday ruling from 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that denied the NFLPA's motion to recall a mandate that would have allowed Elliott to pursue a rehearing with the 5th Circuit.

chris98251

Reaction score
To the long time fans, meaning going back to Pete Rozelle, has the NFL been in a bigger mess week to week ever, yes we had the strike, but from week to week under Goodell it seems that they can't make a decision anywhere without it blowing up and becoming a huge zit on the face of the league.

kidhawk

Reaction score
No surprise here, but the TRO was granted

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/920435531460333568[/tweet]

[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000863279/article/federal-judge-grants-ezekiel-elliott-temporary-restraining-order[/urltargetblank]

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
What a huge waste of taxpayer dollars for what will ultimately just wind up being as affirmed by the already established CBA. Is there any recourse for getting the cost of all this back from Elliot for this giant waste of time?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":35a8569m said:
What a huge waste of taxpayer dollars for what will ultimately just wind up being as affirmed by the already established CBA. Is there any recourse for getting the cost of all this back from Elliot for this giant waste of time?
The longer this drags out (hopefully until next year) the worse off for *allas!

Ilinoiseyhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":19b05f4o said:
Milehighhawk":19b05f4o said:

It's looking like this will be drug out all this season like it was with Brady. Ultimately, whether Elliott is suspended (80% sure he will... in 2018), I'm gleefully looking for this case to be heard and for Roger Goodell to sit on the stand. Seeing him sweat and maneuver under oath transcends any team loyalty.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Ilinoiseyhawk":3059x3vg said:
Sports Hernia":3059x3vg said:
Milehighhawk":3059x3vg said:

It's looking like this will be drug out all this season like it was with Brady. Ultimately, whether Elliott is suspended (80% sure he will... in 2018), I'm gleefully looking for this case to be heard and for Roger Goodell to sit on the stand. Seeing him sweat and maneuver under oath transcends any team loyalty.

I know we all like to shit on Goodell, but he won't have to "sweat and maneuver under oath," in any way. He'll say this is what was collectively bargained, this is what we did for our investigation, these are the instances that we have decided Elliot broke player conduct policy, this is the suspension that should be enforced as I previously stated was collectively bargained.

Elliot and *allas are the only ones sweating in this situation.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":3vd9mbju said:
Ilinoiseyhawk":3vd9mbju said:
Sports Hernia":3vd9mbju said:
Milehighhawk":3vd9mbju said:

I know we all like to shit on Goodell, but he won't have to "sweat and maneuver under oath," in any way. He'll say this is what was collectively bargained, this is what we did for our investigation, these are the instances that we have decided Elliot broke player conduct policy, this is the suspension that should be enforced as I previously stated was collectively bargained.

Elliot and *allas are the only ones sweating in this situation.
Agree even though I'm a "Rog hater".
He has shown some "sack" in suspending superstars from the Patsies and Jerruh's kids, something he didn't do early in his tenure. So he has grown on me a little bit. 8).

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
It saddens me how many people think that NFL punishments have anything to do with law. It's an employer punishing an employee, they have SIGNIFICANT leeway for this.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":s54w2xup said:
It saddens me how many people think that NFL punishments have anything to do with law. It's an employer punishing an employee, they have SIGNIFICANT leeway for this.
Yep, especially so with a CBA that the players AGREED TO that gave Rog the power he has.

mikeak

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1zrz4tyq said:

Some of us aren't questioning if the CBA gives them the right we are questioning suspending someone when the story is this thin. We are questioning why the lead investigator recommended no punishment and then was not part of the group that discussed if there should be a suspension.

Employers have a lot of rights under labor laws but I think we all want those rights to be used fairly

The Rice situation pissed me off because it was done after public opinion. The moment that story came out he should have been suspended. He walked into an elevator with his fiancé and dragged her out of it. What did people think happened? It didn't need a video to show the punch for him to have been hit with a harsh suspension.

This one is different - it is really thin ice there is a lot of strange information out there and all built on he said / she said information that crumbles upon review.

If you suspended him 6 games for pulling up the shirt of a woman at the parade then that I would be 100% behind and in fact the NFL could have helped themselves by bringing that into the sentencing

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm fine with NFL players being held to a higher standard regarding ethical behavior than the average person/employee. People in the public spotlight get fired for tiny things all the time and the NFL's not going to "fire" players, so...

mikeak

Reaction score
higher standard is fine but do you not see potential issues when without any evidence and stories counter to the claimed stories can be used against a player?

The league is setting up a system where their players are going to be blackmailed continuously. That is not setting a higher standard - that is setting up a corrupt system

kidhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":4i2mte0o said:
higher standard is fine but do you not see potential issues when without any evidence and stories counter to the claimed stories can be used against a player?

The league is setting up a system where their players are going to be blackmailed continuously. That is not setting a higher standard - that is setting up a corrupt system

If you make it necessary to see video or have eye witnesses, then you give the players the ability to buy their way out of these suspensions by offering the victim a payday. It works both ways. The thing here is that the league, as an employer (and under the CBA) doesn't need to have enough proof to garner a criminal conviction to punish these players, and they shouldn't need that much. They just need enough to make it reasonable to believe that the morality clause was broken.

There will always be those out there seeking a financial gain and those out there willing to part with some cash to keep out of trouble, that shouldn't have any bearing on whether or not the league punishes these guys. A lot of similar incidences would get people fired from their jobs. In that way, the CBA is actually protecting these players by allowing suspensions.

mikeak

Reaction score
kidhawk":1gcpcc43 said:
mikeak":1gcpcc43 said:

If you make it necessary to see video or have eye witnesses, then you give the players the ability to buy their way out of these suspensions by offering the victim a payday. It works both ways. The thing here is that the league, as an employer (and under the CBA) doesn't need to have enough proof to garner a criminal conviction to punish these players, and they shouldn't need that much. They just need enough to make it reasonable to believe that the morality clause was broken.

From what is publically available and what the lead investigator has stated I don't agree that this exists in this case.

"NFL lead investigator Kia Roberts testified this week that she recommended that Elliott not be suspended for his alleged domestic violence incidence. "

she was the only NFL employee who spoke to Elliott's accuser, Tiffany Thompson, during the 13-month investigation

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/lead ... uspension/

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
mikeak":2su0sovh said:

How's it any different from people in the public spotlight elsewhere where image matters? Comes with the territory...