49ers no longer 0 fers

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2pi3rwio said:
5_Golden_Rings":2pi3rwio said:
Sports Hernia":2pi3rwio said:
Could still call the Niners the “0 and 1’ers” as that’s their Super Bowl record this century.
That’s a special shutout to LivingInHawktown, who still has multiple “personalities” over on the denialzone. 8)
A typical comment from a member of the 1-2th man. :stirthepot:
1-2 is still better than 0-1. :2thumbs:
5-1>1-2 + arbitrary time limit to make 1-2 look better than it is. :177692:

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3rdwwoov said:
5_Golden_Rings":3rdwwoov said:
To be fair, even most 49ers fans agree that the refs changed the outcome of Super Bowl XL.
That offensive pass interference cal was ticky tack.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":38c4mwhu said:
Sports Hernia":38c4mwhu said:
5_Golden_Rings":38c4mwhu said:
Sports Hernia":38c4mwhu said:
Could still call the Niners the “0 and 1’ers” as that’s their Super Bowl record this century.
That’s a special shutout to LivingInHawktown, who still has multiple “personalities” over on the denialzone. 8)
Don’t care about antique trophies from last century before the salary cap took its full effect. You are starting to sound like the moronic cowboys fans, youre better than that, at least I think you are.

You don’t hear us bragging about the Seattle Metropolitans winning the Stanley Cup in 1917, which is the same exact century the Niners won their 5 antique trophies.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":30bqmvkq said:
5_Golden_Rings":30bqmvkq said:
Sports Hernia":30bqmvkq said:
5_Golden_Rings":30bqmvkq said:
Don’t care about antique trophies from last century before the salary cap took its full effect. You are starting to sound like the moronic cowboys fans, youre better than that, at least I think you are.

You don’t hear us bragging about the Seattle Metropolitans winning the Stanley Cup in 1917, which is the same exact century the Niners won their 5 antique trophies.

I'd say that the Mike Holmgren team has as much in common with Carroll's as George Seifert's does with Shanahan's, but (a) it was a loss and (b) we are all gonna get banned even if this is just mock trash talked.

Quest of Six (wins)

NINEster

Reaction score
First winning streak since Harbaugh in 2014.

Also coincides with first two game road winning streak that year.

First win in Reliant Stadium against Texans.

QB looking good.

Good day.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
NINEster":3gzmnskg said:

QB looking good.

Good day.

I couldnt believe how bad the 49ers fleeced the Pats on that trade. NE is screwed whenever Brady is done.

NINEster

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":n4seylt8 said:
NINEster":n4seylt8 said:

QB looking good.

Good day.

I couldnt believe how bad the 49ers fleeced the Pats on that trade. NE is screwed whenever Brady is done.

NE apparently thought they were above the Montana/Young transition, Favre/Rodgers. The real hardcore BB move would have been to dump Brady, but apparently he felt otherwise or maybe he's just tying his coaching career to TB's. In that sense it makes sense, but over a 5+ year time span it doesn't.

Remember that while the Niners didn't have their hand forced financially with the salary cap, they in essence had two established QBs vying for the spot. In some ways it was as much or more a forced decision than the Patriots had to deal with, just like Alex Smith and Kaepernick even though the $ wouldn't have been an issue in 2013. Montana IMO was still better than Young at that point of time to transition, but he only had three more seasons in the league compared to Young who had seven.

Favre for all his warts has somewhat an established guy who still proved he was an NFL QB two seasons later in Minnesota.

Clearly Rodgers was the right choice, and the young buck turned out superior to the master.

Garoppolo was as good a Brady transition as the Patriots could have expected. No way they hit on two 6th round QBs in a row, as they are never going to sniff an elite QB prospect with their continued dominance.

No tears shed for them.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Brady hopefully will play several more years. If not then they definitely messed up. By what choice did they have? Brady is a force of nature. Still.

And Jimmy Garoppolo still has a lot to learn and experifrom nice before he's truly ready. He has the tools, but it's still going to take time.

NINEster

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":284n9uh4 said:
Brady hopefully will play several more years. If not then they definitely messed up. By what choice did they have? Brady is a force of nature. Still.

And Jimmy Garoppolo still has a lot to learn and experifrom nice before he's truly ready. He has the tools, but it's still going to take time.

As it should. Not only is he less experienced than Brady but this is a brand new offense for him.

He'd certainly look better in NE this year with those weapons than Brady would in SF, so peeps need to chill.

No worries though, it ain't gonna be an Alex Smith 4-5 year plan with OC consistency and all the right players acquired. :2thumbs:

In retrospect while losing the golden boy of the franchise hurt, it probably was the right move to make. Who were the Niners gonna get to QB past 1994-1995?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Looks really good so far. Like, really good.

After game 1 I was curious about his ability on the deep ball and to throw outside the numbers, but he alleviated those concerns a bit this week.

I was also curious about him maybe over-trusting his arm while throwing over the middle off his back foot while under pressure, but he showed more of that this week too.

He's showing great touch and accuracy from multiple launch points and while throwing under pressure. Great use of the pocket and creating space for himself when it breaks down too. Really shocked at how effective he is at managing this stripped down version of the playbook too, and is doing lots of little things you wouldn't expect (great pre-snap diagnosis and throwing into the blitz; really, really good job at holding defenders with his eyes when they're in zone coverage and trusting what's happening on the other side of the field when getting to his second or third reads).

It could all fall apart but two weeks in I'm wildly impressed by the guy. When evaluating QBs I usually couldn't care less about stats, but this is the best QB play (on all the little things) I've seen in a 9ers uniform since Jeff Garcia.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1c1c8dog said:

After game 1 I was curious about his ability on the deep ball and to throw outside the numbers, but he alleviated those concerns a bit this week.

I was also curious about him maybe over-trusting his arm while throwing over the middle off his back foot while under pressure, but he showed more of that this week too.

He's showing great touch and accuracy from multiple launch points and while throwing under pressure. Great use of the pocket and creating space for himself when it breaks down too. Really shocked at how effective he is at managing this stripped down version of the playbook too, and is doing lots of little things you wouldn't expect (great pre-snap diagnosis and throwing into the blitz; really, really good job at holding defenders with his eyes when they're in zone coverage and trusting what's happening on the other side of the field when getting to his second or third reads).

It could all fall apart but two weeks in I'm wildly impressed by the guy. When evaluating QBs I usually couldn't care less about stats, but this is the best QB play (on all the little things) I've seen in a 9ers uniform since Jeff Garcia.
I think you are right.

But I'm quoting you to talk about your avatar. It once made me laugh really hard, so then I googled popeye and bluto in similar situations, and, to put it mildly, I was somewhat amazed at what I saw. Some of that stuff is absolutely pure gold.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":22pzs14y said:
5_Golden_Rings":22pzs14y said:
To be fair, even most 49ers fans agree that the refs changed the outcome of Super Bowl XL.

Truth.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":84rdcipi said:
5_Golden_Rings":84rdcipi said:
Sports Hernia":84rdcipi said:
5_Golden_Rings":84rdcipi said:

They were a long time ago, but it ain't like they were wearing Leather helmets. LOL. I'm also old enough to have seen all of them so while some they might be something only seen late at night on NFL Network, I was there for all of them.

To me, a Lombardi is a Lombardi. Doesn't matter how long ago it was. I hated the Steelers for years because they had more (and now do again).

IMO, attaching an arbitrary date at which we are allowed to start counting Trophies is nothing more than an attempt to disparage a franchise or a function of your age....IE if you didn't witness it yourself then clearly it doesn't matter as much as what you did witness. The latter is only natural.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1i4rcc0s said:

Couldn't agree more...with the exception of the last line.

Its a small sample size of course but he's far more impressive to me than Garcia was. As much as I liked Jeff, he was often frantic in the pocket. IMO, a lot of his success was a product of TO. I don't see him playing as well as Garoppolo has with the 49ers current cast of characters.

I mean even Steve...Steve had some happy feet at times. I haven't seen a guy look this calm and poised in the pocket since Joe. I want to be careful as I'm in NO WAY saying he'll be anywhere NEAR that good...but just the way he commands the huddle, stands tall in the pocket, stands in against the rush and delivers the ball, the way he moves through his progressions...man, its pretty.

I do have some concerns tho. The deep ball worries me a bit. Some of his worst throws have been the deep ones including the first "what was he doing" deep throw that was nearly picked.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Marvin49":1vdhxd9s said:
Sports Hernia":1vdhxd9s said:
5_Golden_Rings":1vdhxd9s said:
Sports Hernia":1vdhxd9s said:

They were a long time ago, but it ain't like they were wearing Leather helmets. LOL. I'm also old enough to have seen all of them so while some they might be something only seen late at night on NFL Network, I was there for all of them.

To me, a Lombardi is a Lombardi. Doesn't matter how long ago it was. I hated the Steelers for years because they had more (and now do again).

IMO, attaching an arbitrary date at which we are allowed to start counting Trophies is nothing more than an attempt to disparage a franchise or a function of your age....IE if you didn't witness it yourself then clearly it doesn't matter as much as what you did witness. The latter is only natural.
Hey that entire side conversation was just joking around lol

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":31orqs1m said:
Marvin49":31orqs1m said:
NINEster":31orqs1m said:
The_Z_Man":31orqs1m said:
He's good, but this would be my concern about him...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6H8AYVygTE

He's not built "sturdy" ... His frame reminds me of Jim Zorn, Hugh Millen, Brock Huard, Marc Wilson, RG3, et. Great arm, great release, but he's not "thick enough" to make me think he'll be durable. Marino had that quick release but he was also built like a brick shithouse. Garoppolo is not, he's got those long limbs that fall awkwardly. That would worry me as a fan.

Interesting take. Could be very accurate, but seeing that critique first from a Hawks forum...... :mrgreen:

Joe Montana gave the Niners 10 seasons as a starter, and missed quite a bit of action (knocked out of '86 and '90 playoff games against Giants), had back surgery and missed some games in '86. He was a tough SOB but he definitely missed action. He wasn't going to be Eli Manning on the durability level (who should have died in Candlestick several years ago but didn't...).

If Montana could survive the '80s, I wager Jimmy G with some luck can have a real NFL career. Kinda interesting how that OL suddenly learned how to pass protect last weekend.

RG3 if he played like Kirk Cousins would be fine. But he tried to play like Cam Newton.

On behalf of all Niner fans, we're content to see Shanalynch roll the dice in that respect.

Montana was about 6'2" and 205 and played in a different era. You could say that the players now are bigger and faster, but you can also point out that QBs are protected MUCH more now than they were back then.

Jimmy G has at least 20 lbs (226lbs) on Montana and is pretty thick in his lower body.

ANYONE can get hurt on any play (just look at Shazier last night...jeez) but I don't think his size is really a concern. Russell Wilson BTW was 5'11", 215lbs at the combine.

But what people miss about Wilson's size is that he's short, not small. He's got some mass on his frame that is often overlooked that I feel plays well into his durability. Not speaking about Garropolo, I don't know his measurables, but skinny guys tend to have more injury issues than small guys. When Wilson was drafted, no one said he was too small to play football, just that he was too short to play QB.

Yeah, Wilson is built more like a RB than a QB. I agree with you there.

My point tho was that Jimmy isn't frail. He's bigger than people think. One of the concerns around the combine was that he might be TOO muscular and people invoked the Brady Quinn name.

I don't think thats an issue. Anyone can get hurt tho at any time but I hope he can stay healthy as right now he looks to be the guy for quite some time.

Marvin49

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":pjlpfiu2 said:
Marvin49":pjlpfiu2 said:
Sports Hernia":pjlpfiu2 said:
5_Golden_Rings":pjlpfiu2 said:

Hey that entire side conversation was just joking around lol

LOL. No worries. Just hear that ancient trophies comment quite a bit...and maybe its true. If it is though, I'm ancient too. :)

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":suzk44ab said:
Popeyejones":suzk44ab said:

Couldn't agree more...with the exception of the last line.

Its a small sample size of course but he's far more impressive to me than Garcia was. As much as I liked Jeff, he was often frantic in the pocket. IMO, a lot of his success was a product of TO. I don't see him playing as well as Garoppolo has with the 49ers current cast of characters.

I mean even Steve...Steve had some happy feet at times. I haven't seen a guy look this calm and poised in the pocket since Joe. I want to be careful as I'm in NO WAY saying he'll be anywhere NEAR that good...but just the way he commands the huddle, stands tall in the pocket, stands in against the rush and delivers the ball, the way he moves through his progressions...man, its pretty.

I do have some concerns tho. The deep ball worries me a bit. Some of his worst throws have been the deep ones including the first "what was he doing" deep throw that was nearly picked.

Yeah, if I'm being 100% honest I absolutely agree with you.

So far on the finer elements of QB play he looks better than Garcia and maybe even Young too.

He really looks very Joe-like with his footwork and his touch.

I just said Garcia because it sounds (and IS ridiculous) to comp him to Joe at this point. Truth be told, I love him so far, but even if he ends up at Alex Smith I'll be happy.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":25etq9p1 said:
LOL. No worries. Just hear that ancient trophies comment quite a bit...and maybe its true. If it is though, I'm ancient too. :)

Yeah, the whole expiration date on trophies thing has also been a total herring. Find me a Hawks fan who sincerely thinks there's an expiration date on their Super Bowl win counting and I'll find you liar.

TBF 82 and 84 don't mean as much to me because I wasn't old enough to really care about them (I was born in '79). but I got to watch my favorite team win three Super Bowls when I was the perfect age to be super into it and really, really care.

There's no way I trade one of those wins for a win in '13 against the Ravens. Getting to watch your favorite team win it all while you're a kid is just the absolute best.

Biscanebay12

Reaction score
Let's be real here.

If they were in the Hawks trophy case I guarantee they'd be polishing them weekly and the 12s would still be talking about them.