49ers no longer 0 fers

Biscanebay12

Reaction score
The 49ers lead the league in rookie snaps, not a lot of expensive Veterans is why all the cap space, has nothing to do with Jed.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2017":crycud80 said:
The Whiners have $57 million in unused cap space. The only team that has spent less this season is the Cleveland Browns -- by $1 million. That is more than $25 million less than any other NFL team.

And Jed is not cheap? LOL.

I bet you thought you really had me on that one didn't you? :D

Sadly, what the 49ers really lack is someone worthy of spending that cap space on. IE, there aren't players on the team worthy of big money extensions to use that cap space and there weren't any great free agents who were willing to play for a rebuild. I would be the first to admit I defended Baalke here but as it turned out despite all those picks, the cupboard was left rather bare.

The money has to get spent. Doesn't help to hold the money because the cap doesn't work that way.

Spending 25 mil for a QB is a drop in the bucket. All that space will roll into next year and the Niners will have a ton of $$$ to spend.

Remember, there is a salary floor just as there is a salary cap. Teams don't get to keep the difference.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Biscanebay12":1kqi059m said:
The 49ers lead the league in rookie snaps, not a lot of expensive Veterans is why all the cap space, has nothing to do with Jed.

Correct, and few players at end of contract worthy of big extensions.

This year its Reid and Hyde and wouldn't be surprised if both walked. Neither has shown themselves worthy of huge extensions and were products of the last regime...IE no loyalty to keep them.

I'd expect the Niners to spend a lot of money next year, but I'll be they still stay well under the cap. No use to spend the money stupidly just to spend money. If there is a guy there they want, they'll pay.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":e6yvey4g said:
Sports Hernia":e6yvey4g said:
5_Golden_Rings":e6yvey4g said:
Sports Hernia":e6yvey4g said:
1-2 is still better than 0-1. :2thumbs:
5-1>1-2 + arbitrary time limit to make 1-2 look better than it is. :177692:
Don’t care about antique trophies from last century before the salary cap took its full effect. You are starting to sound like the moronic cowboys fans, youre better than that, at least I think you are.

You don’t hear us bragging about the Seattle Metropolitans winning the Stanley Cup in 1917, which is the same exact century the Niners won their 5 antique trophies.

They were a long time ago, but it ain't like they were wearing Leather helmets. LOL. I'm also old enough to have seen all of them so while some they might be something only seen late at night on NFL Network, I was there for all of them.

To me, a Lombardi is a Lombardi. Doesn't matter how long ago it was. I hated the Steelers for years because they had more (and now do again).

IMO, attaching an arbitrary date at which we are allowed to start counting Trophies is nothing more than an attempt to disparage a franchise or a function of your age....IE if you didn't witness it yourself then clearly it doesn't matter as much as what you did witness. The latter is only natural.
Swing and a miss, but that was expected. 8)

SF49r

Reaction score
kidhawk":3nr4chwh said:
SF49r":3nr4chwh said:
Mkay. But every niner fan who has seen every game this season can agree that there were about 5-6 winnable games this season if we had better quarterback play. Colts, cardinals ×2, redskins, and first Seahawks game come to mind.

Did I say it wasn't possible? There's just a huge difference between facts and opinions and it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine is all. He (and anyone else) is free to have the opinion that the qb change would make the Niners an 8-5 team right now, but it's still not a fact.
Gotcha. I didn't really mean it like that but in the end facts say he wasn't our QB at the time and we're 3-10. Better now? Lol

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SF49r":346j1lkh said:
kidhawk":346j1lkh said:
SF49r":346j1lkh said:
Mkay. But every niner fan who has seen every game this season can agree that there were about 5-6 winnable games this season if we had better quarterback play. Colts, cardinals ×2, redskins, and first Seahawks game come to mind.

Did I say it wasn't possible? There's just a huge difference between facts and opinions and it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine is all. He (and anyone else) is free to have the opinion that the qb change would make the Niners an 8-5 team right now, but it's still not a fact.
Gotcha. I didn't really mean it like that but in the end facts say he wasn't our QB at the time and we're 3-10. Better now? Lol

As a fact we CAN say that one score games are coin flips, and are even more clearly coin flips as the point differential decreases from 6 to 1.

Earlier this year the 9ers lost five straight one score games by a combined 14 points, which means they lost five games in a row by an average margin of victory of less than a field goal (2.8 points). IIRC they were the first team in history to lose five straight games by 6 points or less, and they more than halved that margin of loss in the process.

They've also won a one score game (against the Bears) last week.

So, just using math we can control for random chance and say that after 13 games, in an average year, this year the 9ers would be 5-8 instead of 3-10.

If we wanted to make them as "lucky" as they have been "unlucky" (five out of six wins in one score games instead of five out of six losses) they'd be 7-6.

Any way you slice it, the 9ers still sucks this year, but they're not as bad as their record (FWIW that's generally true for ALL teams with really bad records, just as teams with really good records are almost never as good as their records).

NINEster

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":mggaut08 said:
Marvin49":mggaut08 said:
Sports Hernia":mggaut08 said:
5_Golden_Rings":mggaut08 said:
5-1>1-2 + arbitrary time limit to make 1-2 look better than it is. :177692:
Don’t care about antique trophies from last century before the salary cap took its full effect. You are starting to sound like the moronic cowboys fans, youre better than that, at least I think you are.

You don’t hear us bragging about the Seattle Metropolitans winning the Stanley Cup in 1917, which is the same exact century the Niners won their 5 antique trophies.

They were a long time ago, but it ain't like they were wearing Leather helmets. LOL. I'm also old enough to have seen all of them so while some they might be something only seen late at night on NFL Network, I was there for all of them.

To me, a Lombardi is a Lombardi. Doesn't matter how long ago it was. I hated the Steelers for years because they had more (and now do again).

IMO, attaching an arbitrary date at which we are allowed to start counting Trophies is nothing more than an attempt to disparage a franchise or a function of your age....IE if you didn't witness it yourself then clearly it doesn't matter as much as what you did witness. The latter is only natural.

"Swing and a miss", only here on .NET, buddy.

Come bring the battle on Marvin's home turf and see how long you last. Or any other Seahawk fans for that matter. :lol:

Of course you won't, and neither will they. Wouldn't expect anything less from people here that rely on home field advantage and numbers to silence their rivals. They take after their football team to a tee. :2thumbs:

NINEster

Reaction score
Popeyejones":31yzgo2n said:
SF49r":31yzgo2n said:
kidhawk":31yzgo2n said:
SF49r":31yzgo2n said:

As a fact we CAN say that one score games are coin flips, and are even more clearly coin flips as the point differential decreases from 6 to 1.

Earlier this year the 9ers lost five straight one score games by a combined 14 points, which means they lost five games in a row by an average margin of victory of less than a field goal (2.8 points). IIRC they were the first team in history to lose five straight games by 6 points or less, and they more than halved that margin of loss in the process.

They've also won a one score game (against the Bears) last week.

So, just using math we can control for random chance and say that after 13 games, in an average year, this year the 9ers would be 5-8 instead of 3-10.

If we wanted to make them as "lucky" as they have been "unlucky" (five out of six wins in one score games instead of five out of six losses) they'd be 7-6.

Any way you slice it, the 9ers still sucks this year, but they're not as bad as their record (FWIW that's generally true for ALL teams with really bad records, just as teams with really good records are almost never as good as their records).

I think the Niners and their fans got the best possible outcome.

An early year suckage to produce top draft pick and a late season boost by a new QB to get the team's mind right going into 2018.

Things can change quickly....below are 4 teams leading their respective divisions that all missed playoffs last year.

Eagles last year 4-12.
Rams last year 4-12
Saints last year 7-9
Vikings last year 8-8

Niners are only one game away from equaling last year's win total of two NFC contenders this year.

Future is bright and the pieces are there.

No longer any stress of worrying whether a top 3 defense with older players can get it done with a lagging offense/underachieving QB.

rlkats

Reaction score
hawknation2017":39x9wa47 said:
The Whiners' past, present, and future.
Sjm 49ers 0103 04

Ok now your just being a jerk. Why did you have to go there I just got a little (very little) happy on the progress hahahaha

Popeyejones

Reaction score
A HISTORY OF 49ERS VILLAINY ACCORDING TO SEAHAWKS FANS:

2011-2014: How can anyone root for a Jim Harbaugh led team?!?!? Jim Harbaugh is the most detestable POS in the world and I've always hated him.

2015: Oh, uhh, I actually meant Colin Kaepernick!! How can anyone root for a Colin Kaepernick led team?!?!? Colin Kaepernick is the most detestable POS in the world and I've always hated him.

2016: Oh, uhh, I actually actually meant Trent Baalke!! How can anyone root for a Trent Baalke led team?!?!? Trent Baalke is the most detestable POS in the world and I've always hated him.

2017: Oh, uhh, I actually actually actually meant Jed York!! How can anyone root for a Jed York led team?!?!? Jed York is the most detestable POS in the world and I've always hated him.

NINEster

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3ka25c3v said:

2011-2014: How can anyone root for a Jim Harbaugh led team?!?!? Jim Harbaugh is the most detestable POS in the world and I've always hated him.

2015: Oh, uhh, I actually meant Colin Kaepernick!! How can anyone root for a Colin Kaepernick led team?!?!? Colin Kaepernick is the most detestable POS in the world and I've always hated him.

2016: Oh, uhh, I actually actually meant Trent Baalke!! How can anyone root for a Trent Baalke led team?!?!? Trent Baalke is the most detestable POS in the world and I've always hated him.

2017: Oh, uhh, I actually actually actually meant Jed York!! How can anyone root for a Jed York led team?!?!? Jed York is the most detestable POS in the world and I've always hated him.

Good stuff, although you should include Kap back in 2012 onwards.

I only loathe Wilson because of how .NET treated Kap way back when. You would have thought he knelt on the top of the Space Needle. It was very personal for sure.

BTW, the one thing .NET got totally right was Baalke was a POS. Some of us defended him out of loyalty but the reality was that his shortcomings left the roster thin after the rough patch that was the 2014 season. And he no doubt contributed to Harbaugh's exit, while failing to get SF over the top when it was way closer than Denver ever had been during that same time period. He could/should have pulled an Elway, got the Niners a ring and then went on to destroy the team no worse than it did on its own.

One or two overpaid FAs whether WR or CB from 2013-2014 would have done the trick. The subtle nuance of the 2013 offense versus 2012 cannot be overstated to those that follow SF closely. Boldin was the only good thing that came of 2013 offense and that was purely a Harbaugh brother thing.

Whether it was lousy personnel choices on his own or disagreeing with Harbaugh's choices for players, it's on him. He had to recognize that Harbaugh was the true player much the same way Schneider recognizes Carroll and Lynch recognizes Shanahan.

Hate Baalke's face, hate his voice, hated his GMing, hated his coaching of DBs (WTF?). He gets a B+ for 2011, F for 2012 (while Seattle gets A), C for 2013, B- for 2014, C for 2015, D for 2016.

Will only be forgiven 10-15 years from now if this new regime works out.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I always liked Kaep but I wasn't here then. One of my favorite Kaep moments was when he did SCam's superman celebration in the endzone. That was sublime. :)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NINEster":gnxag3os said:
Sports Hernia":gnxag3os said:
Marvin49":gnxag3os said:
Sports Hernia":gnxag3os said:

"Swing and a miss", only here on .NET, buddy.

Come bring the battle on Marvin's home turf and see how long you last. Or any other Seahawk fans for that matter. :lol:

Of course you won't, and neither will they. Wouldn't expect anything less from people here that rely on home field advantage and numbers to silence their rivals. They take after their football team to a tee. :2thumbs:
I read his home turf. They ban Hawk fans as soon as they dare state an opposing opinion. If I posted what you just did I’d be banned and what you said isn’t even close to a bannable offense here (nor should it be). The mods over their are some serious little snowflakes as I’ve seen longtime regulars here getting banned for pretty much being a Seattle fan.

I don’t get the thrill of posting on other teams boards anyhow, reading for entertainment, sure.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2jr5nvek said:

LOL . That’s rich coming from a fanbase that acts like a full buffet table of food plus the table itself was dumped on Bowman when it was a few kernels of popcorn.

PS FWIW, while I thought Harbs was a whiney little bitch, he was also a damn good coach.

SF49r

Reaction score
I honestly don't know why niner fans even cry about that. No one knows if it was accidental or on purpose and even then it was only one guy. It's still better than fat cholos who beat each other up for tapping shoulders in the bathroom.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
NINEster":4b7use1e said:
I only loathe Wilson because of how .NET treated Kap way back when. You would have thought he knelt on the top of the Space Needle. It was very personal for sure.

:lol: :lol:

Yeah the Kap thing was super personal. The only thing that ever bothered me about it was when Hawks fans got into race-baiting about him (and the 9ers fanbase more generally). All the hysteria over him appearing in a headphones commercial was just funny.

As for Wilson, I don't really buy that any 9ers fans ACTUALLY hate Wilson. He's pretty easy to make fun of, but it's hard if not damn near impossible to come up with something to legitimately hate about him. He kinda reminds me of Obama right after he was elected in '08, in that there was seriously really nothing to hate about him, so right wingers had to take the tact of being "infuriated" because left-wingers liked him "too much."

It's the same deal with Wilson -- there's nothing wrong with him so as 9ers fans we had to tell ourselves that the real problem with him was that Hawks fans loved him too much. :lol:

As for Baalke, totally agree that Hawks fans were right on that, but I don't think that was because they had any special insight. It's just because they were throwing hundreds of things at the wall that were awful about the 9ers so of course a few of them were going to stick. It's like 9ers fans who feel vindicated in their claims that what Wilson did for the offense was overrated and what Lynch did for the offense was underrated. That one has stuck to the wall a little bit, but the 90 other things they were saying didn't. It's like Hawks fans who suddenly "always respected Harbaugh" within a week of him being gone. :lol:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1oa2xumi said:
I read his home turf. They ban Hawk fans as soon as they dare state an opposing opinion.

That's just factually inaccurate.

Just like here there's hawks fans over on Zone who defend the Hawks all the time and have been there for years.

Off the top of my head, Lisa12 (I think?) has been there for years and is really only there to talk about the Hawks and defend the Hawks. She has to deal with the hoo-has trolling her (just like any fan on a rival fan board does) but among the posters that anyone listens to she's totally respected.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":42omwsxi said:
LOL . That’s rich coming from a fanbase that acts like a full buffet table of food plus the table itself was dumped on Bowman when it was a few kernels of popcorn.

1. This has literally nothing to do with what I posted, which was just for fun.

2. Yeah, some 9ers fans still talk about it as if it was the entire Seahawks fan base rather than some individual POS who was a Hawks fan, just as some Hawks fans still tell themselves crazy bedtime stories about how it was just a few kernels that were accidentally knocked out of some poor little kid's hand.

So what? Tribalism exists and it makes people overstate things.

Think about it this way: If during the heat of that rivalry Earl Thomas had his career effectively ended on an injury at Candlestick and some POS 9ers fan dumped food on him while he was getting carted out would Seahawks fans still talk about it? OF COURSE they would.

Would some Seahawks fans overstate what happened? OF COURSE they would.

Would some 9ers fans understate what happened? OF COURSE they would.

Not that complicated, my dude.