Saints @ Vikings

naholmes

Reaction score
Amazing last play and Diggs really skied to grab that ball from above the rim. I think that threw off the defender who thought he would catch it closer to the sideline. Great play by Diggs to maintain his balance and stay in bounds.

However I thought the Vikes benefited from some hometown calls from the refs. There were numerous questionable PIs and holding calls and a generous spots for first downs to extend drives, which enabled the Vikings build their big lead.

253hawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":26ztw4lm said:
RolandDeschain":26ztw4lm said:
The most impressive play you've ever seen? Oh, come on. Hyperbole wins the day, apparently. :roll:

I agree. It's not even the greatest catch ever. That belongs to Odell Beckham Jr.

Impressive moment, sure, given what was on the line. But it's not like he was shrugging off tackles against the defending SB champs during a run play, where you're 100% going to experience some contact and have to actually fight for the end zone. Broken down, it was a fairly routine catch and run for any WR since the DB completely whiffed (probably scared of drawing a defenseless receiver penalty or DPI). No one ever laid a finger on him and he didn't even have to juke.

The Giants were already eliminated from playoff contention when that catch happened, so it may as well have been an exhibition game. But that hasn't stopped the media from shoving it down everyone's throats endlessly since it happened. Even in college games, announcers always make some Beckham reference whenever anyone makes a one-handed catch, like he invented the damn thing.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Seanhawk":32yi1a7g said:
RolandDeschain":32yi1a7g said:
The most impressive play you've ever seen? Oh, come on. Hyperbole wins the day, apparently. :roll:

I agree. It's not even the greatest catch ever. That belongs to Odell Beckham Jr.
I think that catch can be rivaled by Mike Evans' catch vs Atlanta, Doug's vs Minnesota, and DeAndre Hopkins' catch this year. Heck, even Paul Richardson's catch vs Detroit. Line the above poster mentioned, everyone acts like ODB invented the one handed catch. It's ridiculous.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2dran988 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/952782050456584192[/tweet]

They were right in guarding the sidelines but what was the point in having guys in the short zone? They didn't need to defend anything on the sideline outside the 40 yard-line.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":24983xzj said:
IMO anytime you include the insane pressure and importance of a moment, it elevates the play into the lofty comparisons we're putting on the play.

For Diggs to highpoint the ball, come down, NOT go out of bounds out of fear, keep his balance with his off hand, stay in bounds and score? That's pretty damn amazing.

That's how I'll remember the play, the positive. I'd rather not pile on the DB, dude's being crucified right now.
Oh gee, high-pointing a catch and taking it to the end zone. That certainly doesn't happen EVERY WEEK in the NFL during the regular season.

Yeah...alright, guys.

@Seanhawk: I know you're trolling me, so I won't respond. :)

Seanhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":15l9hgfp said:
Sgt. Largent":15l9hgfp said:
IMO anytime you include the insane pressure and importance of a moment, it elevates the play into the lofty comparisons we're putting on the play.

For Diggs to highpoint the ball, come down, NOT go out of bounds out of fear, keep his balance with his off hand, stay in bounds and score? That's pretty damn amazing.

That's how I'll remember the play, the positive. I'd rather not pile on the DB, dude's being crucified right now.
Oh gee, high-pointing a catch and taking it to the end zone. That certainly doesn't happen EVERY WEEK in the NFL during the regular season.

Yeah...alright, guys.

@Seanhawk: I know you're trolling me, so I won't respond. :)

5ajbeWB

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Probably important to put it into context... 10 seconds left, 61 yards away, playoffs, blowing a 17 point lead.. and all the pressure of being 13-3 and trying to be the first team to play a home Super Bowl.

That was one hell of a moment

IronSaint

Reaction score
pmedic920":39qhj1lp said:
Vikes just got a free 1st down.

You saw that huh? LOLOL.

UK_Seahawk":39qhj1lp said:
That looked like a pick on that wright reception.

It's practically their entire offense without Cook.I re-watched our Week 1 game against them earlier in the week and within the first 5 minutes noticed they run almost nothing but pick plays. I was calling out every time they would happen like clockwork yesterday.

Uncle Si":39qhj1lp said:
Shameless diving and play acting by Vikings. Refs awful so far.

Just as poor is the saints offense

Thought it was just us seeing the way that game was called in the first half. They flagged the piss out of us while Rhodes held Michael Thomas at every possible opportunity. But yeah, our offense the first 30 minutes of the game was abysmal.

Thankfully they started calling it evenly after half. I'm glad Thomas ate his lunch and took his milk money in the 2nd half to the point Rhodes nearly had a nervous breakdown on the sideline.

Coug_Hawk08":39qhj1lp said:
Trick play was there, but it’s a receiver throwing the ball. Always going to be risky. Tough call on 3rd and 1 for me.

Sucked to miss on that because we hit that same play on the Rams last year for a TD. Kamara is just way faster than Hightower and Snead threw it a bit too far.

chris98251":39qhj1lp said:
Also Kudos to the Saints players that came back out, some of them were offensive guys just ending the game.

One of those was our punter who broke his rib having to make a tackle (on I think our first drive) and still had to punt 17 or so times in the first half and held on field goals. Tough SOB.

hawk45":39qhj1lp said:
Williams makes a routine tackle and the Saints advance, what a boner. If I'm a Saints fan I want him gone, I don't care what he's done or if he's good normally. Just a devastating mental mistake to cost you the season.

He isn't going anywhere. Including yesterday, he had 5 picks on the season, as a rookie. Your own Earl Thomas pulled off the same number his rookie season. Would you have wanted to cut him had he missed a tackle against Chicago in the 2011 Divisional playoff game?

NJlargent":39qhj1lp said:
43 and whoever was 22 on beast quake should go out for a drink and figure out who is more embarrassed

It'd be Marcus Williams, purely for the fact that he's a rookie and it was only his second play-off game. Porter had a game saving and game sealing interception off of Favre and then Manning in back-to-back games during our championship run the year before, the latter of which being a 74-yard TD to seal our Super Bowl. He's literally a hometown hero being he's from Port Allen, LA.

falcongoggles":39qhj1lp said:
Saints fans have absorbed some real punishment post Super Bowl. Bounty gate, Beastquake and the Minneapolis Miracle. Sweet baby J, that is rough.

It's sucked, but the 2012 playoff loss to San Francisco hurt more than all of those and our 2014 playoff loss to you guys combined.

Msfann":39qhj1lp said:
That guy will be remembered like Tracy Porter was for getting trucked in the beastmode play.

For Minnesota fans? Yeah, but fans of other teams won't remember him. Just like no one remembers Tracy Porter outside of Colts fans, you guys and us in New Orleans.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Williams is a rookie. He had a phenomenal rookie season, but he is still a rookie.

You know what the only thing he heard as he is running to make the stop? His coaches voice from the last timeout before the play. “Whatever you do, don’t give up a PI. You hear me? Don’t give up a PI in field goal range.”

That kid didn’t whiff on the hit, he pulled off to avoid the PI. His mistake was getting to the play too fast, and not being able to pull up. Sherman/ Thomas don’t make that mistake, but they have more experience.

I wouldn’t write the kid off yet, he had a great year, and pulling off the attack is just a little inexperience.

He’s no Brian Bostick. Now that was a true screw up.

Brandon bostick

potatohead

Reaction score
Smellyman":3f1yelt0 said:
Thepeelsessions":3f1yelt0 said:
I'll say it. To me, that was the single best, most impressive play that I have ever seen (literally seen). Yes, even better than the NFCCG. Minnesota was down to their final play, despite killing it all year, Keenum still has doubters, makes one hell of a throw, Diggs' awareness to stay ion his feet and in bounds. It was simply amazing. If the Hawks had been down to their final play, it would be different. I was literally stunned. I'm happy for Minnesota. Keenum, Diggs, Thielen, and Latavius are all guys you should root for. That offense if a bunch of misfits.

It was the single biggest blunder ever.

You guys have to stop using the word 'ever.' There are a bunch of blunders that are just as bad off the top of my head. Romo fumble for one, Leon Lett as well.

chris98251

Reaction score
Ever these days means since they had the interest in watching Football, not historically. Millennials ........

hawk45

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2iejia3h said:
Williams is a rookie. He had a phenomenal rookie season, but he is still a rookie.

You know what the only thing he heard as he is running to make the stop? His coaches voice from the last timeout before the play. “Whatever you do, don’t give up a PI. You hear me? Don’t give up a PI in field goal range.”

That kid didn’t whiff on the hit, he pulled off to avoid the PI. His mistake was getting to the play too fast, and not being able to pull up. Sherman/ Thomas don’t make that mistake, but they have more experience.

I wouldn’t write the kid off yet, he had a great year, and pulling off the attack is just a little inexperience.

He’s no Brian Bostick. Now that was a true screw up.

Brandon bostick

Yeah, watching the play again, it does become clear that avoiding the PI was his prime directive and that once he accelerated towards the ball to make a play he was out of options. He could either interfere or do what he did and dive around the guy. Being less aggressive to the ball would have been the right play, but that's a very fine line to walk as we found out Russell's first year when the Falcons bounced us out of the playoffs as we let Matt Ryan complete bombs on us to get in field goal range.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I'm not sure that it's even the worst play of the Vikings-Saints playoff matchups. That honor goes to Bret Farve throwing it to Tracy Porter in the 2009 NFCCG.

Worst play of all time either has to be Lett touching the ball after the blocked field goal, the Colts running a fake punt against the Pats, Desean Jackson dropping the ball before crossing the line, or my personal vote, Jim Marshall recovers a fumble and runs to the wrong end zone.

[youtube]l1UZy7SSdDI[/youtube]

When it comes to true, boneheaded screwups, that happened at critical moments in the playoffs however, I really can't think of any worse play than Bostick trying to recover our onside kick.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Heard it was the first ever TD reception to win a playoff game as time expired.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Thanks Iron SAint. Glad you showed up here and put forth your insight. See yall next year.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
IronSaint made reference to the punter.

Great story: some Vikes fans took some appreciation in him coming out for the last play, looked him up, saw a charity he has a s spread the word.

His charity has something like 100k (25k in 4 hours since his radio interview) in donations from Vikings fans since the game. Punter has since said he will move all that donated money to a MN children’s charity.

Cool story.

potatohead

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3d5l6bef said:

Which doesn’t really mean nearly as much as if they were down by four points.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
potatohead":1q20kgod said:
Uncle Si":1q20kgod said:

Which doesn’t really mean nearly as much as if they were down by four points.

Sure that’s how is the Saints and Vikings feel about it.

So many here want to disparage the greatness of this play. Unfortunate..