“Rooney Rule” circumvented.

Mindsink

Reaction score
rossob":1t6dam6a said:
Not everything that has to do with race is racist. The inferior/superior part is missing.

But that's exactly what the Rooney rule is doing. "Blacks are not capable of getting head coaching jobs on their own, so we must institute a rule that requires that every interview process includes them."

This is racism at its very core.

It undermines the hiring process in the name of equality.

Ask yourself this... If there were an overwhelming majority of black coaches in the NFL, do you think anybody would be complaining about the lack of white coaches? How about Asian coaches? Latino?

Wait a sec, why aren't there any women coaches at ANY level in the NFL? What about transgendered coaches?

As you can see, it's a pointless spiral of endless lunacy.

rossob

Reaction score
Mindsink":2woart7s said:
rossob":2woart7s said:
Not everything that has to do with race is racist. The inferior/superior part is missing.

But that's exactly what the Rooney rule is doing. "Blacks are not capable of getting head coaching jobs on their own, so we must institute a rule that requires that every interview process includes them."

This is racism at its very core.

It undermines the hiring process in the name of equality.

Ask yourself this... If there were an overwhelming majority of black coaches in the NFL, do you think anybody would be complaining about the lack of white coaches? How about Asian coaches? Latino?

Wait a sec, why aren't there any women coaches at ANY level in the NFL? What about transgendered coaches?

As you can see, it's a pointless spiral of endless lunacy.
The NFL never just thought that black coaches suck at getting HC jobs and therefore need help. They saw the problem not in the coaches but in the racist FOs/owners who would not treat qualified black coaches the same way as white ones due to perceived racist tendencies.

Trying to combat that is not racist imo. I did not say that it was fair and equal, which it might not be, guess that depends on how much of an impact racism currently has on HC hiring.

chris98251

Reaction score
You have to remember something, why was Warren Moon not drafted by a NFL club, and that was in 77 / 78, only 30 years ago, the Rule was implemented in 2003 so 15 years in actual usage to help recognize minority's being qualified candidates as well.

From Wikipedia which I think is relevant.

History and origin[edit]

The rule is named after Dan Rooney, the former owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers and former chairman of the league's diversity committee.

It was created as a reaction to the 2002 firings of head coaches Tony Dungy of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Dennis Green of the Minnesota Vikings, at a time when Dungy had a winning record and Green had just had his first losing season in ten years. Shortly afterwards, U.S. civil rights attorneys Cyrus Mehri and Johnnie Cochran released a study showing that black head coaches, despite winning a higher percentage of games, were less likely to be hired and more likely to be fired than their white counterparts. Former NFL players Kellen Winslow and John Wooten then put together a self-described "affinity group" of minority scouts, coaches, and front-office personnel, to advocate for the rule's creation.[6]

Its purpose was to ensure that minority coaches, especially African Americans, would be considered for high-level coaching positions. Until 1979, when Tom Flores was hired by the Raiders, Fritz Pollard was the only minority head coach in NFL history (which was during the league's early years in the 1920s)[7] and by the time the rule was implemented, only Tom Flores, Art Shell, Dennis Green, Ray Rhodes, Tony Dungy, and Herman Edwards had ever held head coaching jobs (only Dungy and Edwards were actively head coaching at the time of the rule's implementation, though Shell and Green would later return to head coaching).[8] Dungy in particular had struggled for years before getting a head coaching job; he was often promoted as a head coaching candidate by Chuck Noll when Dungy was an assistant under Noll in the 1980s with the Steelers, but he would not become a head coach until 1996 when he took over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Another former Steelers assistant, Marvin Lewis, also struggled to find a head coaching position despite immense success as the Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator and wouldn't find a head coaching position until being hired by the Cincinnati Bengals in 2003, the year the Rooney Rule went into effect. He also has not won a playoff game in those 15 seasons.Sports Illustrated's Super Bowl Archive SI.com</ref>[9]

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":261i7omy said:
It's a rule based on race, which makes it racist. End of story.

Oh, boy, where to even begin with this.

Suffice to say: being reductive is not the same as being insightful.

And you don't get to decide where the story of race ends, lol.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":2zkc1djj said:
RolandDeschain":2zkc1djj said:
It's a rule based on race, which makes it racist. End of story.

Oh, boy, where to even begin with this.

Suffice to say: being reductive is not the same as being insightful.

And you don't get to decide where the story of race ends, lol.
It's very simple. Don't over-complicate it. The end of racism will only come once people stop basing ANYTHING on race, and that may never happen.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
When hiring a guy to play for you, there are actually measurable that can be used to determine the quality of a player as it related to his position. There there is still some subjectivity to it, but for the most part, it is somehow clear cut. Combines, college tapes, .... etc. There is plenty of body of work to draw from.
When it comes to hiring managers (which is what coaches are), there it s lot more subjectivity to it. Most of the time it is more about who you know than anything else. Many would fail after a few years, but at least they have gained experience interviewing, experience coaching, ... etc. How can a guy named John Doe compete with a dude called Shottenheimer, Shula, whose parents were coaches, have connections in the whole league, ... If I'm not mistaken, even Pete Caroll has his kids on the Seahawks. When you look closely, many of these coaches are like fraternity. JS worked under Daddy Shottenheimer. There is a relationship there.
If you are a minority and you don't play golf with the owner or your dad never worked with any of these people, how the hell do you get a shot to fail or succeed? Look at college football, how many minorities are head coaches there? They can't all be dumb and stupid ???
The idea that the Good Ole network doesn't exist and only results matter is garbage. Nobody is saying that the Roney Rules solves all problems, but it gives visibility to those who wouldn't have any otherwise. I don't understand that that bothers you.
seahawkfreak":3hsgycue said:
Ummm no. One of the easiest ways to get your team publicity is to hire an African American. Top that with one that is highly qualified why wouldn't an owner hire them?

No rule had to be implemented when African Americans starting playing football in the NFL, why does one need to be put in order for coaching? Also, where is the outrage about how many white owners there are in NFL? You want to get rid of racism stop including race. I am totally fine with 66% of players in the NFL being black even though African Americans only make up 13% of the country. I only care about winning and every one is a human being.

el capitan

Reaction score
joeseahawks":1716bgxl said:
If you are a minority and you don't play golf with the owner or your dad never worked with any of these people, how the hell do you get a shot to fail or succeed?

If this is truly how front offices work then what about the white candidates who don't meet the above criteria?

I think this will always be a contentious issue, personally I don't like the rule. I understand the point about getting a coaches name out there however I believe that quality work/results ultimately determine whether a fo/owner will pursue a particular coach or not. I can't believe that an owner would invest hundreds of millions of dollars into a franchise only limit himself in one of the most important decisions.

Also why restrict the rule to HC's? In training camp why not make every team try out a black QB or a white RB or DB?

Mindsink

Reaction score
And why does it have to be about blacks? If there is indeed a country club mentality to coaching/FO positions (and I'm not denying that there are), then why make this about the alleged plight of one singular race? (whom by the way has been well represented by coaching positions around the league)

Like I asked before, where are the Asian, Latino, Indian coaches?

Mindsink

Reaction score
joeseahawks":7yv36knk said:
When hiring a guy to play for you, there are actually measurable that can be used to determine the quality of a player as it related to his position. There there is still some subjectivity to it, but for the most part, it is somehow clear cut. Combines, college tapes, .... etc. There is plenty of body of work to draw from.
When it comes to hiring managers (which is what coaches are), there it s lot more subjectivity to it. Most of the time it is more about who you know than anything else. Many would fail after a few years, but at least they have gained experience interviewing, experience coaching, ... etc. How can a guy named John Doe compete with a dude called Shottenheimer, Shula, whose parents were coaches, have connections in the whole league, ... If I'm not mistaken, even Pete Caroll has his kids on the Seahawks. When you look closely, many of these coaches are like fraternity. JS worked under Daddy Shottenheimer. There is a relationship there.
If you are a minority and you don't play golf with the owner or your dad never worked with any of these people, how the hell do you get a shot to fail or succeed? Look at college football, how many minorities are head coaches there? They can't all be dumb and stupid ???
The idea that the Good Ole network doesn't exist and only results matter is garbage. Nobody is saying that the Roney Rules solves all problems, but it gives visibility to those who wouldn't have any otherwise. I don't understand that that bothers you.

You could argue that there is systemic racism against white speed/skill players that starts at grade school level. How many white kids are told they would not make it as a cornerback so they're encouraged to play safety or linebacker? How many white kids are told they can't play WR so they're encouraged to play TE?

I'm not pulling these scenarios out of my ass either. I read an article years ago that chronicled high-school level coaches (white coaches, mind you) doing this very thing... the black kids get preferential selection for positions like WR, RB, DB, unless a white kid really stands out (see Christian McCaffery).

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken, I saw a ticker at bottom of the screen yesterday, said the NFL found that the Raiders did adhere to the “rule”.

Not sure how that works when you know what Davis said but oh well, it’s a done deal now.