49ers Re-sign Garoppolo Highest Paid Player in NFL

Marvin49

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2srzu6fs said:
2_0_6":2srzu6fs said:
Kap sure looked good in filling in for Smith. Im sure you guys remember that guy.

:lol:
Kap looked good against Chicago, then the very next week started to look more like the Kap of today. HE never changed much. What changed was Randy Moss and Delanie Walker left, Vernon Davis got old, Anthony Davis retired to smoke weed, Mike Iupati and Frank Gore left, Ted Ginn left, Mario Manningham left, Alex Boone left, Jonathan Goodwin retired, Bruce Miller got cut, and so on.

Jimmy G didn’t have all that. He was throwing to Lewis Murphy, Marquise Goodwin and some rookies, and he had the likes of terrible GUARD Zane Beadles blocking for him at RIGHT TACKLE. Put Jimmy G on the 2012 49ers and that team is significantly better.

I know good quarterbacking when I see it. Kap never progressed beyond “potential.” Garoppolo even without any further improvement will be a quality starter. Why? Because he makes fast reads and gets ride of the ball quickly, and even though he has “game manager” tendencies, he can consistently throw in the 12-25 yard window that makes it hard to do the Alex Smith defense against him, and he can throw under pressure and convert third downs. If he DOESN’T progress, he will still be a worthy starter.

The funny part is people who say "the league hasn't figured him out yet".

That was fair with Kap...but Garoppolo?

I've yet to see the solution to quick and decisive decision making, a lightning quick release, and great accuracy on short to mid range throws.

He has work to do on long throws, but you can make a living in this league without it.

Marvin49

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":5wm9nhte said:
chris98251":5wm9nhte said:
408d64236a0749139fb87cb344867252 front

1b87141e22140cee51  football photos football cards

Get the feeling it will turn out like these guys .
Then you haven’t watched the film.

Yeah...and probably not of either of those guys either.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":3lzm0vnm said:
Am I the only one that thinks Jimmy G is overrated? 6 TD passing, 1 Rushing TD to 5 INT in 5 games, that don't scream anything special to me. I guess we will see this next season if they hit the jackpot, or took a hit on too many pots.

I will give him that he can move the chains and sets up his Running backs who can actually score in the red zone and has a kicker that actually won a game for them.
Smh. You can watch the tape (where you will see some of those INTs bounced of the able hands of guys like Lewis Murphy), or
you can look at advanced stats, like PFF’s overal grade, which had him as the TENTH best QB in the NFL;

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/pl ... ppolo/8697

Or you can look at his third down conversion percentage, which was highest in the NFL;

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/lead ... pe=Passing

Or even ESPNs Total QBR, which had him second to Watson.

Or if that is too much for you, you can look at the single most important statistic for a quarterback: yards per attempt. It will show you exactly why garoppolo is so much better than Kaepernick (8.8 vs 6.8. ).

So ask yourself WHY Garoppolo dominated every advanced stat. The answer would be obvious IF YOU WATCHED THE FILM instead of taking a quick look at basic stats that never tell the whole story.

*note: caps are not yeling. Just easier than italics for emphasis

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, he was pretty good against all the Rams backups. And in those meaningless games at the end of the year.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The rest of the NFL will have "WATCHED THE FILM" as well.

Let's see how they adjust.

His 5 game run was against 2 bottom feeders, a couple of decent playoff teams from the AFC south playing at home and a game against a Rams team playing their reserves.

I'll be more interested to see how he does when the teams are scheming against him.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Uncle Si":j9e8f0ew said:

His 5 game run was against 2 bottom feeders, a couple of decent playoff teams from the AFC south playing at home and a game against a Rams team playing their reserves.

I'll be more interested to see how he does when the teams are scheming against him.

To be fair, the Jags did go to the AFC champ game and were competitive

chris98251

Reaction score
Marvin49":16ko7tvp said:
5_Golden_Rings":16ko7tvp said:
chris98251":16ko7tvp said:

Watched all three play, you guys are blowing more hot air then a sex fanatic does into his blow up dolls, if they build around him he may be serviceable, however we have yet to see him play anything when all the cards are on the table.

When he does that and elevates everyone and brings wins from the jaws of defeat we can talk all world guy.

Till then he is a placeholder on a team that keeps changing them, he may at best be a Garcia or worst Tim Rattay.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Uncle Si":37u2utuz said:

Oh come on man. LOL.

The Seahawks LOST to BOTH of those "decent playoff teams from the AFC South playing at home". The only reason you even added the "playing at home" part is because you needed further clarification for the obvious reply as the Seahawks were on the road.

Maybe Jimmy G sucks and he never lives up to the hype, but get real. Stop trying to find reasons to discredit an astounding turnaround late in the year.

Cracks me up. He beats the Bears and everyone says "thats just one game and they suck". He beats the Texans and they say, "OK, but both those teams suck" even though earlier in the year they couldn't beat anyone no matter how bad they were. He beats the Titans and people say "Yeah, but the Titans aren't as good as their record. Wait till next week against the Jags. That'll be the real test". They put up 44 points and knock off the Jags and people say "Well the Jags just had an off day and they were in the playoffs anyway" even though they still needed the win for playoff positioning. They Beat the Rams soundly and people say "Yeah, but the Rams didn't play their starters" which is actually fair but they don't get to choose who the other team puts out there.

Point of all of this is that at some point you have to run out of "yeah buts".

Dude balled out. Its that simple.

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":10msjtfw said:
Marvin49":10msjtfw said:
5_Golden_Rings":10msjtfw said:
chris98251":10msjtfw said:

Watched all three play, you guys are blowing more hot air then a sex fanatic does into his blow up dolls, if they build around him he may be serviceable, however we have yet to see him play anything when all the cards are on the table.

When he does that and elevates everyone and brings wins from the jaws of defeat we can talk all world guy.

Till then he is a placeholder on a team that keeps changing them, he may at best be a Garcia or worst Tim Rattay.

....m'kay.

1) Um, what about a blow up doll?

2) He HAS elevated everyone, but you are right that he hasn't brought wins from Jaws of defeat....although they were down in a few of those games and had a game winning drive vs the Titans.

3) At best he's Jeff Garcia? Based on what exactly?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Cracks me up...

9er fan desperate for Seahawk approval.

No, i added the "at home" part because two teams traveling from the east coast to the west for games is an issue. Nothing to do with the Seahawks.

5 rather pressure less games. But you guys continue to try and validate his greatness amidst even the slightest skepticism. And you wonder where it comes from?

The point of all of this is that some point you run out "Dude balled out" and recognize the sheer absurdity of claiming (as some of you have) that he's the 2nd coming of Steve Montana or whatever.

5 games. 5 games against 2 abysmal teams, 1 team playing back ups (you left that out) and 2 above average teams who traveled the width of the US for the game.

He played well. Suggesting that once NFL teams have reviewed the tape you so diligently watched and see how he does against it makes more sense than heaping as much praise as some of you are trying. can you even see the hypocrisy in that?

chris98251

Reaction score
Marvin49":2hkkiahy said:
chris98251":2hkkiahy said:
Marvin49":2hkkiahy said:
5_Golden_Rings":2hkkiahy said:

....m'kay.

2) He HAS elevated everyone, but you are right that he hasn't brought wins from Jaws of defeat....although they were down in a few of those games and had a game winning drive vs the Titans.

Garcia won games for you he played with a lot of guts and heart, but there was always something seemingly missing when I seen a 49er game, still can't put a finger on it, it was like he was a polite invite to the party that nobody thought would show up.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2oo1i6kb said:
Cracks me up...

No, i added the "at home" part because two teams traveling from the east coast to the west for games is an issue. Nothing to do with the Seahawks.

5 rather pressure less games. But you guys continue to try and validate his greatness amidst even the slightest skepticism. And you wonder where it comes from?

The point of all of this is that some point you run out "Dude balled out" and recognize the sheer absurdity of claiming (as some of you have) that he's the 2nd coming of Steve Montana or whatever.

5 games. 5 games against 2 abysmal teams, 1 team playing back ups (you left that out) and 2 above average teams who traveled the width of the US for the game.

He played well. Suggesting that once NFL teams have reviewed the tape you so diligently watched and see how he does against it makes more sense than heaping as much praise as some of you are trying. can you even see the hypocrisy in that?

No, you added "at home" because you were trying to fit a narrative.

They were pressure less games. That I can't disagree with, but its not like I've seen anything that would lead me to believe pressure situations would be any different. Thats no guarantee of course, but you make it sound like not having experienced that pressure = he will be bad under pressure.

At worst, its untested.

I have not claimed he is the second coming of Joe Montana so I won't address that, but I have said he LOOKS like the best QB since Steve Young. That doesn't make him Joe Montana or Steve young but it means right now he looks better than Garcia, Smith, or Kap. I don't think thats so tall an order.

I'm not disparaging those who say further game film will make him easier to defend as that is true for ALL QBs, but what I AM saying is that he isn't the gimmick QB that others have been that made simple changes very effective against them.

What he does well doesn't go out of style.

I am not unable to see that there is a possibility that he could flame out in a big way and totally suck. Of course thats possible. However, if you take all the numbers away both good and bad and just WATCH him without a prejudiced eye (IE WANTING to see him fail or succeed) you can just see "it". Calmness in the pocket, quick decisions, steps away from pressure with eyes downfield, lightning fast release, and accuracy on short to medium throws...all good stuff that works in almost all offenses and especially in a West Coast derivative.

Peace.

PS: I didn't leave out the game against backups.

"They Beat the Rams soundly and people say "Yeah, but the Rams didn't play their starters" which is actually fair but they don't get to choose who the other team puts out there."

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":38jonym7 said:
Marvin49":38jonym7 said:
chris98251":38jonym7 said:
Marvin49":38jonym7 said:

....m'kay.

Garcia won games for you he played with a lot of guts and heart, but there was always something seemingly missing when I seen a 49er game, still can't put a finger on it, it was like he was a polite invite to the party that nobody thought would show up.

I think thats an accurate description of Garcia.

He put up numbers and won some games...but he never passed the eye test for me. I feel about Jeff about the same as I feel about Cousins.

He just isn't "the" guy.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Marvin49":34nya8le said:
Uncle Si":34nya8le said:
Cracks me up...

They were pressure less games. That I can't disagree with, but its not like I've seen anything that would lead me to believe pressure situations would be any different. Thats no guarantee of course, but you make it sound like not having experienced that pressure = he will be bad under pressure.

At worst, its untested.

I have not claimed he is the second coming of Joe Montana so I won't address that, but I have said he LOOKS like the best QB since Steve Young. That doesn't make him Joe Montana or Steve young but it means right now he looks better than Garcia, Smith, or Kap. I don't think thats so tall an order.

I'm not disparaging those who say further game film will make him easier to defend as that is true for ALL QBs, but what I AM saying is that he isn't the gimmick QB that others have been that made simple changes very effective against them.

I am not unable to see that there is a possibility that he could flame out in a big way and totally suck. Of course thats possible. However, if you take all the numbers away both good and bad and just WATCH him without a prejudiced eye (IE WANTING to see him fail or succeed) you can just see "it". Calmness in the pocket, quick decisions, steps away from pressure with eyes downfield, lightning fast release, and accuracy on short to medium throws...all good stuff that works in almost all offenses and especially in a West Coast derivative.

Peace.

"They Beat the Rams soundly and people say "Yeah, but the Rams didn't play their starters" which is actually fair but they don't get to choose who the other team puts out there."

I added at "home" because of what it means exactly.

If you are not here arguing with Seahawks fans on a Seahawk board about a 49er player, than what are you doing?

And again... after 5 games, you're willing to say "He looks like Hall of Fame and Super Bowl MVP QB Steve Young"

my goodness. But yes.. it's us that are struggling here to remain objective. My objectivity was simply "Let's see how he does when defenses have time and tape to prepare."

Yours... he looks like a former Hall of Fame QB

Marvin49

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1b4788dh said:
Marvin49":1b4788dh said:
Uncle Si":1b4788dh said:
Cracks me up...

At worst, its untested.

Peace.

I added at "home" because of what it means exactly.

If you are not here arguing with Seahawks fans on a Seahawk board about a 49er player, than what are you doing?

And again... after 5 games, you're willing to say "He looks like Hall of Fame and Super Bowl MVP QB Steve Young"

my goodness. But yes.. it's us that are struggling here to remain objective. My objectivity was simply "Let's see how he does when defenses have time and tape to prepare."

Yours... he looks like a former Hall of Fame QB

Nice Hyperbole.

1) I was actually off this page AND the 'zone for almost 2 years, so please...give it up. If you are curious as to why it had a lot to do with politics.

2) I didn't say he looks like Steve Young. I said he looks like the best 49ers QB SINCE Steve Young and stated specifically he looks better than Garcia, Smith, and Kap. Its all cool to argue, but please do me the courtesy of arguing the point I'm actually making and not the one you made up.

3) I didn't argue your prepare statement. I actually agreed with you and said it applied to all QBs. I simply said I thought more preparation would be less effective simply because he isn't a gimmick QB.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
This is proof of how ridiculous the market for QBs is in the NFL. You don't even have to be proven to earn the big $$. Lynch better hope that Jimmy G doesn't end up like Brock Osweiler.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawkfan68":sz8879y1 said:
This is proof of how ridiculous the market for QBs is in the NFL. You don't even have to be proven to earn the big $$. Lynch better hope that Jimmy G doesn't end up like Brock Osweiler.

If he does the 9ers can get out of it without penalty in two years.

Now that the full deal is out in structure it’s basically the deal Kaepernick got + market inflation and more money shoved into the first year because they’ll never have this much cap room to burn again and it allows the APY to be artificially deflated in years 2-5. (Makes sense it would be a two year deal plus three years of team options like Kap’s as Paraag Marathe negotiated both of them).

AF_BASS_MAN

Reaction score
http://insider.espn.com/blog/nfcwest/po ... -set-at-qb

Pretty good article about the possible next 3 years in the NFCW. I found it interesting that all basically agreed that the current contract for JimmyG might seem like a bargain in 2-3 years due to Goff and Wilson each likely getting extensions by then, with Russell probably averaging the mid 30’s annually.

So it will be funny to see if we all come back and argue about how stupid it is to throw that much money at a QB...when it happens to our own lol.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":m5fiwqzy said:
chris98251":m5fiwqzy said:

So Jaws and Dilfer who both played QB in the NFL for a long time, both declared Kap was going to be the next GREAT QB, never watched film on him? But, you a guy on a football forum, has better film analysistic skills then those 2?

No offense as you seem like a good guy and all and are one of the better rival teams posters here, but I believe you’re hugely over confident and overestimating your “abilities” IMHO.

Fanatics

Reaction score
I don't understand the problem and it is looking like jealousy right now. You don't believe he is proven, yet you are upset the 49ERS did this. You believe he is overrated with such little experience, yet you are upset the 49ERS did this. You think the contract will ruin a team, yet you are upset the 49ERS did this. I can go on and on...

I am upset the 49ERS did this because the eye test shows how good this guy is. He has quick feet, pocket presence, quickest release I have seen since Marino, goes through progressions fast and throws an accurate catchable pass. Not to mention the leadership qualities I seen from the Tennessee game where he was the one seeking the coaches to go over the plan for the final drive. Yes I think this is a dumb contract as a Seahawks fan but not for the reasons I have read here.

Let's not forget those last few meaningless games, were only meaningless when you look at the 49ers record and how they were already eliminated from playoffs. They beat playoff teams Tennessee and Jacksonville, who really needed the wins at the time. I am not counting the Rams who rested everyone.