49ers Re-sign Garoppolo Highest Paid Player in NFL

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":2ui6nqi7 said:
5_Golden_Rings":2ui6nqi7 said:
2_0_6":2ui6nqi7 said:
Kap sure looked good in filling in for Smith. Im sure you guys remember that guy.

:lol:
Kap looked good against Chicago, then the very next week started to look more like the Kap of today. HE never changed much. What changed was Randy Moss and Delanie Walker left, Vernon Davis got old, Anthony Davis retired to smoke weed, Mike Iupati and Frank Gore left, Ted Ginn left, Mario Manningham left, Alex Boone left, Jonathan Goodwin retired, Bruce Miller got cut, and so on.

Jimmy G didn’t have all that. He was throwing to Lewis Murphy, Marquise Goodwin and some rookies, and he had the likes of terrible GUARD Zane Beadles blocking for him at RIGHT TACKLE. Put Jimmy G on the 2012 49ers and that team is significantly better.

I know good quarterbacking when I see it. Kap never progressed beyond “potential.” Garoppolo even without any further improvement will be a quality starter. Why? Because he makes fast reads and gets ride of the ball quickly, and even though he has “game manager” tendencies, he can consistently throw in the 12-25 yard window that makes it hard to do the Alex Smith defense against him, and he can throw under pressure and convert third downs. If he DOESN’T progress, he will still be a worthy starter.

The funny part is people who say "the league hasn't figured him out yet".

That was fair with Kap...but Garoppolo?

I've yet to see the solution to quick and decisive decision making, a lightning quick release, and great accuracy on short to mid range throws.

He has work to do on long throws, but you can make a living in this league without it.
Absolutely you can Marvin..
Montana showed that and seeing over the line with JG makes those short/mid fast throws deadly.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
I hope he's good next year.
Really , we need a kick in the ass.
I miss harbs and wish you guys had him back or some other yahoo I could sports hate just as much
The year we won the SB was pretty boring watchin us smoke teams left and right .
I always enjoyed a challenging season much more than an easy one and I never realized that until it happened.
Just for the fun of it I hope he sucks a little bit too but I know deep down I'd rather have battles than blowouts so here's to you dreamin mofo's and wannabe heroes :179417: 2019 OR BUST :179417: Good fricken luck n I wish this were in the shack :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I disagree. Watching my team dominate its opponent NEVER gets old. It’s fun and NEVER boring.
That’s why XLVIII was so great. Complete and total domination from start to finish! :)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Jealousy? We have Russell Wilson. There is nothing to be jealous of. Paying that kind of coin to a guy who has 7 starts, and won some meaningless games is extremely risky.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":nlc79sfe said:
Jealousy? We have Russell Wilson. There is nothing to be jealous of. Paying that kind of coin to a guy who has 7 starts, and won some meaningless games is extremely risky.

Actually tend to agree.

Jealousy is the wrong word.

If there is any jealousy it would simply be that the 49ers might have their QB for the next 5 years at 27.5 per while when Wilson resigns it might be has high as 35 mil per...but I don't think what I see here is jealousy.

I think what I see here is HOPE that the 49ers are paying a ton of money for a guy who sucks.

I can't fault that. I can't say I wouldn't enjoy seeing a rival spend a ton of money and cap space on a player that doesn't help them. Thats understandable.

I'm also not blind to the fact that Jimmy G is not by any means a proven commodity. The reasoning that its a risk isn't unfounded.

I just think its a risk worth taking and I like almost everything I've seen from him so far both on and off the field.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I think he looks like the real deal, just for the record. But we shall see. The team has a lot more issues, but I expect them to be real good in 2019.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":9kjsfnnn said:
I'm also not blind to the fact that Jimmy G is not by any means a proven commodity. The reasoning that its a risk isn't unfounded.

I just think its a risk worth taking and I like almost everything I've seen from him so far both on and off the field.

Very much this. I have yet to see a rival fan say they should have let him walk, and with the contract structure and the 9ers cap situation it's practically impossible to argue that they should have franchise tagged him instead.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2xkatl20 said:
I think he looks like the real deal, just for the record. But we shall see. The team has a lot more issues, but I expect them to be real good in 2019.

I like JG a lot so far too, but I'm a little more circumspect on the prospects of the team overall.

I think overall they had a great offseason last year. I think they'll have two stack two more (at least) above average offseasons this year and next year to be really good by 2019.

This team still has some massive holes. For instance, with the roster as it is currently constructed there's a non-zero chance that 12 months from now the 49ers won't have a single starter-caliber offensive lineman, edge, linebacker, or cornerback on the entire roster. I don't think that will actually end up being true, but to argue against it you have to impute a lot of things that haven't happened yet.

This is still a bad team which now has what may be a good QB.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":18tyz90l said:
SoulfishHawk":18tyz90l said:

I like JG a lot so far too, but I'm a little more circumspect on the prospects of the team overall.

I think overall they had a great offseason last year. I think they'll have two stack two more (at least) above average offseasons this year and next year to be really good by 2019.

This team still has some massive holes. For instance, with the roster as it is currently constructed there's a non-zero chance that 12 months from now the 49ers won't have a single starter-caliber offensive lineman, edge, linebacker, or cornerback on the entire roster. I don't think that will actually end up being true, but to argue against it you have to impute a lot of things that haven't happened yet.

While I don't EXPECT the playoffs next year, I'm not as sure they won't be competitive sooner than 2019.

Jimmy G made a huge difference down the stretch, but they also got some good performances from rookies last year. I think Kittle is the real deal as a TE. I love Taylor as a 3rd down player. I think Marquise will be a good #3 to stretch the field. I think Garcon coming back will be huge.

I get your point on all of those positions...but:

OL) That is about to be a huge focus. They are set at starter at Center (I like Kilgore more than most) and Tackle. They need depth though and they need a lot of help at OG.

Edge) Absolutely. Will be focus of FA and Draft.

Linebacker) Reuben hurts us here. If he's on the field, he's a monster. Malcolm Smith will be back. Coyle was decent. I'm sure there will be FA and picks here too.

Cornerback) I like Witherspoon and Williams in the slot. They need another guy for sure...and again, FA and Draft. They are looking at Vontae Davis today, but not sure what he has left.

The good news on all these positions is that they have cash and picks to address them.

We'll see if they can do so successfully.

Also, all good teams have holes. Even if they can't address ALL of these positions, that may not preclude them from contending. A good QB can cover ALOT of flaws.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
We know that all too well. We had one of the worst O Lines in history and still won 9 (would have been 10 if wide right didn't miss in the Zona game). Russ carried the team so many times. Ugh

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":217nnc8j said:
Popeyejones":217nnc8j said:
SoulfishHawk":217nnc8j said:

While I don't EXPECT the playoffs next year, I'm not as sure they won't be competitive sooner than 2019.

Jimmy G made a huge difference down the stretch, but they also got some good performances from rookies last year. I think Kittle is the real deal as a TE. I love Taylor as a 3rd down player. I think Marquise will be a good #3 to stretch the field. I think Garcon coming back will be huge.

OL) That is about to be a huge focus. They are set at starter at Center (I like Kilgore more than most) and Tackle. They need depth though and they need a lot of help at OG.

Linebacker) Reuben hurts us here. If he's on the field, he's a monster. Malcolm Smith will be back. Coyle was decent. I'm sure there will be FA and picks here too.

Cornerback) I like Witherspoon and Williams in the slot. They need another guy for sure...and again, FA and Draft. They are looking at Vontae Davis today, but not sure what he has left.

The good news on all these positions is that they have cash and picks to address them.

Also, all good teams have holes. Even if they can't address ALL of these positions, that may not preclude them from contending. A good QB can cover ALOT of flaws.
Are these two ex Hawks?

kidhawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":12xtmw7e said:
Marvin49":12xtmw7e said:
Popeyejones":12xtmw7e said:
SoulfishHawk":12xtmw7e said:

Are these two ex Hawks?

Yes they are

chris98251

Reaction score
Well there is now film on Garopollo now, teams will start tracking his tendencies and take away his #1 option as much as they can. The first level of adjustments should be telling on how he adjusts and how his stats look early on. It's now about constant adjustments for him to find something they didn't take away. How he does that will determine his success.

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":py94hve6 said:
Well there is now film on Garopollo now, teams will start tracking his tendencies and take away his #1 option as much as they can. The first level of adjustments should be telling on how he adjusts and how his stats look early on. It's now about constant adjustments for him to find something they didn't take away. How he does that will determine his success.

Thats fair.

I don't think it will make a huge difference though.

The Jags were jumping all over his first option with lightning fast LBs and they just couldn't get there due to the speed of his release.

In time he'll actually know the offense better so he'll know better where those 2nd and 3rd reads will be.

He can of course still regress badly, but I really don't think its gonna happen.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Small sample size to date, nobody knows for sure yet - that's the bottom line.

He looked good. Whether that is a long-term trend or not remains to be seen.

SkyHawks16

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3jyzs57s said:
We know that all too well. We had one of the worst O Lines in history and still won 9 (would have been 10 if wide right didn't miss in the Zona game). Russ carried the team so many times. Ugh
How can you forget the Redskins game with 3 missed FGs, and the missed FG against Falcons that could have made us go to OT. We could have been 12-4 at best :cry:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm not forgetting anything. The D crapped the bed after Russ took them to what should have been a game winner. 3 missed fg's or not, the D blew that game just as much.

chris98251

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2ilfxp2a said:
I'm not forgetting anything. The D crapped the bed after Russ took them to what should have been a game winner. 3 missed fg's or not, the D blew that game just as much.

Quit blaming the Defense for the lack of talent on the O line and a bad kicker, bad Coordinators, they had a series of injuries and played from behind most the time in a protect scheme and not attacking, they held up well under the circumstances, would love to see you in a ass kicking contest with only one leg.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1cqfd82a said:
Small sample size to date, nobody knows for sure yet - that's the bottom line.

He looked good. Whether that is a long-term trend or not remains to be seen.

Absolutely agreed.

And that's what makes the structure of the deal so important.

If what we've seen from him so far is a total aberration and he actually sucks, in 24 months the 9ers can get out of the deal with only 4 million in dead money (on a cap projected over 205 million), and having only spent cap room that they had way too much of to begin with anyway (115 million this year), and with Shanahan and Lynch still only halfway through their contracts.

And if what we've seen from so far his isn't an aberration and is an accurate reflection of his quality as a quarterback, the 9ers are paying through the nose for him this year (in a year when they have more cap room than they know what to do with) and get a top flight QB for the four years after that on a bargain as they build around him.

Personally, I've got a list of three of four things I'm going to need to see from him to really feel comfortable that he's a top 12-15 or so QB in the NFL or better, but I think people criticizing the deal probably don't actually know the details of it.

adeltaY

Reaction score
If you have all that cap space, why not? I don't get criticisms of this deal at all, SF is a young, rebuilding team and they can afford to make mistakes. Foster doesn't work out? Barely matters IMO. I think that Bill would've given Jimmy G this deal and kept Brady if he had an extra 25M in cap space. If you have the money, there's no good reason not to.