Salaries Guaranteed for Injury

HawkGA

Reaction score
In reading a few things this off season, it sounds like players with contracts guaranteed for Injury can't be cut. It would seem a better way to do that, both from the players and the team's perspective would be to have players able to be cut and the salaries not count against the salary cap. It wouldn't quite be the fully guaranteed contracts other leagues have but it would be fairly close and close in a way that would seem to make sense in a league that is more violent than the rest.

Is there a problem with this approach that I'm not seeing?

Osprey

Reaction score
Yes, easily exploited to circumvent the cap.
Sign a player to more years than they will ever play and then claim whatever BS injury you want at the end of their career. The post waive years don't count against the cap, but the effective rate paid per year played goes up.

sutz

Reaction score
It's in the CBA to protect the players and the integrity of the salary cap system. There are ways to go, including waived/injured and an injury settlement that 'voids' the contract and releases the injured player. It's a contract and requires both parties to agree to a termination of that sort.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Osprey":1thub7t3 said:
Sign a player to more years than they will ever play and then claim whatever BS injury you want at the end of their career. The post waive years don't count against the cap, but the effective rate paid per year played goes up.

Maybe, but I would think the owner's desire not to waste a lot of money would help discourage that too.

Osprey

Reaction score
HawkGA":27vx36m6 said:
Osprey":27vx36m6 said:

Maybe, but I would think the owner's desire not to waste a lot of money would help discourage that too.

I think MLB pre-luxury tax shows there's always someone willing to break the bank.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Hmm, probably a good point. Just seems like there should be some way to structure contracts to help players who suffer career threatening injuries yet not hamper the teams salary cap. Perhaps the team taking out an insurance policy in the player's name?