Sherman article

Marvin49

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2fxyawue said:
To be clear...

You're hoping this blows up on the Hawks so you can be right that "it's over", as reflected in your "this will be fun" and "i'll put $100"

you are genuinely rooting against the team success at this point

That's the spirit

LOL.

I know...its like, do you really wanna be right that bad?

As a Niners fan I can't say believably that I want the Seahawks to come back just as good as before, but I do miss that rivalry for a few years.

Those defenses were just ferocious. It was old school football.

Whatever the new generation is of Seahawks football, it likely won't resemble the old one much at all...much like SF.

If the Niners thrive, it will be on the back of Kyle Shanahan, Jimmy Garopplo and a young defense. The Rams are now a force to be reckoned with with McVay, Goff and....a good but slightly older defense.

Division is changing. Seahawks still have Wilson in his prime, but don't know if they have the young offensive mind (tho finally parting with Bevell was a good start) and a D that needs to be rebuilt.

Should be fun to watch. I personally don't think the Rams are running away with it. I'm not writing off the 'hawks just yet either.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
RCATES":36av44ww said:
MD5eahawks":36av44ww said:
RCATES":36av44ww said:
Hang this high in the rafters at Century Link under this era of a championship and other accomplishments.

"The era that LOB built and RW destroyed"

No one will ever hold RW accountable though. Window closed the moment Russ threw that pick.
This is pure ignorance.

These will be fun to bring back at the end of the upcoming season. How many more years do you need to see?

SB49 Wilson blows it with game ending pick
2015 Hawks luck out on Walsh's missed game ending FG. Get shit on the following week in Carolina.
2016 Get shit on in Atlanta
2017 9-7 (NO PLAYOFFS) get shit on at home by a Arizona team full of back-ups to end the season.

Maybe after not making the Postseason this year some of you will open your eyes. Its over.

Last 5 years.........
13-3
12-4
10-6
10-5-1
9-7
I'll put $100 dollars Hawks finish 8-8 or worse this year. Trend continue's.

It sounds like you want the Hawks to fail?

Latestcb20141111221511

2_0_6

Reaction score
RCATES":2wk245ba said:
MD5eahawks":2wk245ba said:
RCATES":2wk245ba said:
Hang this high in the rafters at Century Link under this era of a championship and other accomplishments.

No one will ever hold RW accountable though. Window closed the moment Russ threw that pick.
This is pure ignorance.

These will be fun to bring back at the end of the upcoming season. How many more years do you need to see?

2015 Hawks luck out on Walsh's missed game ending FG. Get shit on the following week in Carolina.
2017 9-7 (NO PLAYOFFS) get shit on at home by a Arizona team full of back-ups to end the season.

Maybe after not making the Postseason this year some of you will open your eyes. Its over.

Last 5 years.........
13-3
12-4
10-6
10-5-1
9-7

Whats the trend here??? Oh that's right, the defense got old and injured.

Even more the reason not to keep an $11million dollar CB coming off two Achilles surgeries.

#winning

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
RCATES":cyrcoe1y said:
MD5eahawks":cyrcoe1y said:
RCATES":cyrcoe1y said:

This is pure ignorance.

Last 5 years.........
13-3
12-4
10-6
10-5-1
9-7
Spin that any way you wish. One could point directly to many correlating events to the trend of this team.
Quinn leaving
Highest paid O-line to scrap heap O-line
The price of a franchise QB contract
The price of maintaining the stars of the defense
Changing the rules on how an O-line can block (pretty big one there)
Lets not forget the age and injury of that LOB
Off. Cord and O-line coach that never seemed to get too creative

Wilson is not without fault. No one is. But to blame Wilson for it is just unabashed ignorance.

"$100 for the Hawks to finish 8-8 or worse" is just as ignorant. Who in their right mind would take that with the turnover this team is going through.

OP
OP
R

RCATES

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1ut6bdj1 said:
To be clear...

You're hoping this blows up on the Hawks so you can be right that "it's over", as reflected in your "this will be fun" and "i'll put $100"

That's the spirit

Not at all. I've been a season ticket holder (club level) since 2009. I just see the light and whats happening. Trending in the wrong direction.

Nothing wrong with holding out hope that this team will still win another championship with this core of players. I just don't see that happening at all.

Main reason: Russel Wilson
I just don't like what I see from him at all. Last year just made it even more clear. Considering all the other bad QB's in the league are we lucky to have him? Absolutely. I just don't consider him the type of QB that can win a championship without a lot of help. This is why I don't consider him in the top 5. I'd take Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Ryan, Wentz, Rivers,Cousins, Stafford, Roethlisberger all over him. He's just too short and struggles to see the field. The style in which he has to play in to make his reads will cause him to have a short career.

OP
OP
R

RCATES

Reaction score
Marvin49":ltpf3uqy said:
Uncle Si":ltpf3uqy said:
To be clear...

That's the spirit

LOL.

As a Niners fan I can't say believably that I want the Seahawks to come back just as good as before, but I do miss that rivalry for a few years.

Whatever the new generation is of Seahawks football, it likely won't resemble the old one much at all...much like SF.

If the Niners thrive, it will be on the back of Kyle Shanahan, Jimmy Garopplo and a young defense. The Rams are now a force to be reckoned with with McVay, Goff and....a good but slightly older defense.

Division is changing. Seahawks still have Wilson in his prime, but don't know if they have the young offensive mind (tho finally parting with Bevell was a good start) and a D that needs to be rebuilt.

Should be fun to watch. I personally don't think the Rams are running away with it. I'm not writing off the 'hawks just yet either.

1-11 including 9 losses in a row will do that to a rivalry.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
RCATES":3sm6ihwi said:
Uncle Si":3sm6ihwi said:
To be clear...

That's the spirit

Not at all. I've been a season ticket holder (club level) since 2009. I just see the light and whats happening. Trending in the wrong direction.

Nothing wrong with holding out hope that this team will still win another championship with this core of players. I just don't see that happening at all.

I just don't like what I see from him at all. Last year just made it even more clear. Considering all the other bad QB's in the league are we lucky to have him? Absolutely. I just don't consider him the type of QB that can win a championship without a lot of help. This is why I don't consider him in the top 5. I'd take Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Ryan, Wentz, Rivers,Cousins, Stafford, Roethlisberger all over him. He's just too short and struggles to see the field. The style in which he has to play in to make his reads will cause him to have a short career.
If, by "help" you mean solid defense then none of the QBs you've listed have won a championship without it.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RCATES":2trqy9im said:
Marvin49":2trqy9im said:
Uncle Si":2trqy9im said:
To be clear...

That's the spirit

LOL.

Is that what its up to now?

Quite honestly I didn't even know what it was. When your team craters that significantly you stop really paying attention to divisional records. You just start wondering if they can win ANY game.

OP
OP
R

RCATES

Reaction score
Marvin49":1711wkoh said:
RCATES":1711wkoh said:
Marvin49":1711wkoh said:
Uncle Si":1711wkoh said:
To be clear...

That's the spirit

LOL.

Quite honestly I didn't even know what it was. When your team craters that significantly you stop really paying attention to divisional records. You just start wondering if they can win ANY game.

It came really fast didn't it. I sure do miss seeing JH on the sideline yelling in his Kaky pants. Niners had to be bad for a few years to be where there at today. I still believe the Rams are the best by far in the NFC West but you guys are right on their heels. I expect the tide to turn this year on the Rivalry. Wouldn't be surprised if we got swept by the Niners this year.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
RCATES":27kk3ft7 said:
2_0_6":27kk3ft7 said:
It must be hard for some to comprehend that in the NFL you need to pay for what you will get from the player moving forward, NOT for what the player has done in the past.

Funny you should say that. Kam 100% was paid on his past performance's. Guys been MIA every since. Not talking about post-injury either.

Thanks for proving his point?

Marvin49

Reaction score
RCATES":3w4nflrn said:
Marvin49":3w4nflrn said:
RCATES":3w4nflrn said:
Marvin49":3w4nflrn said:
LOL.

It came really fast didn't it. I sure do miss seeing JH on the sideline yelling in his Kaky pants. Niners had to be bad for a few years to be where there at today. I still believe the Rams are the best by far in the NFC West but you guys are right on their heels. I expect the tide to turn this year on the Rivalry. Wouldn't be surprised if we got swept by the Niners this year.

It's funny...for a few years there the only team in the entire league the Niners could beat was the Rams. Now they might be the powerhouse in the division.

I'm hopeful with the Niners but I think they still need some pieces to be legit contenders...namely Pass Rusher, Guard, LB (especially if Foster is suspended) and WR.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RCATES":2fnh6dib said:
It came really fast didn't it.

Ehhh, I think the fulcrum of it came really quickly in the 2015 offseason. but the signs were already there.

As for that offseason, over the span of about six weeks they lost Jim Harbaugh and six pro-bowlers (Willis, Aldon and Justin Smith, Gore, Iupati, and Davis), in addition to another pro-bowler at the start of the year (Vernon Davis).

While at the time reporters were calling it the worst offseason in NFL history (and it probably was), I think people forget three key things leading up to it:

1) They had been shedding a ton of starters and quality backups for a few years in a row before that due to the salary cap and other teams poaching their tier 2 guys.

2) They had drafted really poorly for several years before that so they didn't have much in the way of quality players who could step in.

3) Even in the season before that offseason when it all fell apart everyone seems to forget that they weren't very good, and went 8-8.

So here's where I get myself into trouble: Before this offseason #s 1, 2, and 3 are also very descriptive of the Seahawks these last few years

This offseason instead of replacing their coach they've replaced all their coordinators, and they've also shed at minimum five pro-bowlers (Bennett, Sherman, Graham, Avril, Richardson), and could ultimately shed as many as seven (ET3 and Kam).

To be clear I don't think the Seahawks will fall nearly as fast and as hard as the 9ers did in 2016 -- the Hawks have a QB, and even with all that shedding still have pro-bowlers left in Wagner, Wright, Brown, Baldwin and possibly Thomas and Kam too -- but also don't think we should be projecting them to improve on their 9-7 season last year given that they've just shedded a bunch talent from last year and replacing coordinators is almost always a last ditch thing that teams do before acknowledging they've really got to build back up again.

Like Marv, I'm not rooting for the Hawks to suck or sink as low as the 9ers did (or have -- they still haven't done anything, have a ton of holes, and even as a 9ers fan I'd project them as being on the "upswing" to being around .500 or so), but if forced to bet it's hard to argue that they're going to be better this year than they were last year.

[don't kill me Hawks fans. :lol: ]

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3t9thq1c said:
RCATES":3t9thq1c said:
It came really fast didn't it.

Ehhh, I think the fulcrum of it came really quickly in the 2015 offseason. but the signs were already there.

As for that offseason, over the span of about six weeks they lost Jim Harbaugh and six pro-bowlers (Willis, Aldon and Justin Smith, Gore, Iupati, and Davis), in addition to another pro-bowler at the start of the year (Vernon Davis).

While at the time reporters were calling it the worst offseason in NFL history (and it probably was), I think people forget three key things leading up to it:

1) They had been shedding a ton of starters and quality backups for a few years in a row before that due to the salary cap and other teams poaching their tier 2 guys.

2) They had drafted really poorly for several years before that so they didn't have much in the way of quality players who could step in.

3) Even in the season before that offseason when it all fell apart everyone seems to forget that they weren't very good, and went 8-8.

So here's where I get myself into trouble: Before this offseason #s 1, 2, and 3 are also very descriptive of the Seahawks these last few years

This offseason instead of replacing their coach they've replaced all their coordinators, and they've also shed at minimum five pro-bowlers (Bennett, Sherman, Graham, Avril, Richardson), and could ultimately shed as many as seven (ET3 and Kam).

To be clear I don't think the Seahawks will fall nearly as fast and as hard as the 9ers did in 2016 -- the Hawks have a QB, and even with all that shedding still have pro-bowlers left in Wagner, Wright, Brown, Baldwin and possibly Thomas and Kam too -- but also don't think we should be projecting them to improve on their 9-7 season last year given that they've just shedded a bunch talent from last year and replacing coordinators is almost always a last ditch thing that teams do before acknowledging they've really got to build back up again.

Like Marv, I'm not rooting for the Hawks to suck or sink as low as the 9ers did (or have -- they still haven't done anything, have a ton of holes, and even as a 9ers fan I'd project them as being on the "upswing" to being around .500 or so), but if forced to bet it's hard to argue that they're going to be better this year than they were last year.

[don't kill me Hawks fans. :lol: ]

What really hurt the Niners that offseason wasn't just the loss of aging players, it was the loss of YOUNG players. Anthony Davis in his mid 20's up and retires. Chris Borland had a great rookie year and he up and retires in year TWO.

I'll never forget that offseason. Never seen anything like it.

I agree...even if the 'hawks lost as many coaches/players, they still have Wilson. a QB covers ALOT of problems. Just look at GB. If you take Rodgers off that team they suck HARD.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
RCATES":12hvrmmf said:
Uncle Si":12hvrmmf said:
To be clear...

That's the spirit

Even if what you say about RW is true, that has no bearing on their decision regarding Sherman.

Sherman had to go, and EVERY team in the NFL with a functioning brain would have done the same.

It seems like you are using this situation as an excuse to rail on Russ. I'm not the worlds biggest Wilson fan either, but cmon man, one has nothing to do with the other.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RCATES":2tydacr5 said:
Uncle Si":2tydacr5 said:
To be clear...

That's the spirit

I think Russell Wilson is a big part of your problem as well, but not for the reason you are quoting.

The Seahawks were at their best when he was still on his rookie contract. The LOB hadn't yet been paid either. They had tons of cash and incredible young talent.

When those star defenders and Wilson got paid, it started a chain reaction. If you are that top heavy, you pay for it in other ways. It isn't sustainable. Its why moves like releasing Sherman have to be made. If he can't play like the guy he was, he's got to go in favor of a guy who might or a few guys who can improve.

You can't be top heavy AND old.

Bill Walsh used to say he'd rather let a guy go a year too early than a year too late. I think thats what's happening.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Its comical that people think Russ is the problem. Could he improve on some things? Absolutely.

But if you take Russ off last years team, we MAYBE win 6 games, and that's with a stacked roster on defense.

SF49r

Reaction score
Without Wilson, Seattle would be picking top 5 this year in the draft. I seen damn near every game they played this season and almost every win included a Russell Wilson heroic play.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, it's interesting that Niner fans get it more than many Hawks fans, when it's comes to Wilson. By FAR the best QB the team has ever had.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Sherman was STILL an elite corner last year. But he had been becoming a locker room cancer for several years.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1pzkerip said:
Sherman was STILL an elite corner last year. But he had been becoming a locker room cancer for several years.

And then had a serious injury