Reuben Foster Arrested On Domestic Violence Charges

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":199ish88 said:
The real difference between their handling of Reuben and their handling of Aldon and Ray McDonald is those guys kept practice and playing after being arrested; Aldon was on the field a day or two after ending up in the drunk tank.

They’re basically holding Reuban’s rights but he won’t be practicing or playing any time soon, if ever again.

I’d still prefer they had cut him, but part of what they’re doing is based on their experience with Brock last year, I think. They cut him immediately after he was arrested, but charges were dropped and he was never suspended by the NFL so he just skated off and signed with the Seahawks after the case was dismissed.
Solid first point, I forgot about that.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Popeyejones":28hmoutx said:
The real difference between their handling of Reuben and their handling of Aldon and Ray McDonald is those guys kept practice and playing after being arrested; Aldon was on the field a day or two after ending up in the drunk tank.

They’re basically holding Reuban’s rights but he won’t be practicing or playing any time soon, if ever again.

I’d still prefer they had cut him, but part of what they’re doing is based on their experience with Brock last year, I think. They cut him immediately after he was arrested, but charges were dropped and he was never suspended by the NFL so he just skated off and signed with the Seahawks after the case was dismissed.

I don't have a problem with how they're handling it right now. Obviously the reality here is that if he was a fringe player he'd already have been cut. Obviously a first round pick is a big investment - it's odd that people would have an issue with that when people say every day that "life isn't fair" - this is an example of it, and it's just the reality. It's a really serious issue and so people think the Niners should just cut him - but again, with what they have invested in him I wouldn't cut him yet either.

It appears to be heading that way though. I don't see how it ends any other way.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1a0d20r7 said:
Well, if the Hawks were doing the same thing, the media would be thrashing them right now.
Fact

....please.

The 49ers have just as bad a history with this stuff as the Seahawks (especially recently). The 'hawks aren't getting special treatment. There are plenty of people giving the Niners flack about this...particularly some local writers who are negative about everything.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Ramfan128":17xievib said:
Popeyejones":17xievib said:

I don't have a problem with how they're handling it right now. Obviously the reality here is that if he was a fringe player he'd already have been cut. Obviously a first round pick is a big investment - it's odd that people would have an issue with that when people say every day that "life isn't fair" - this is an example of it, and it's just the reality. It's a really serious issue and so people think the Niners should just cut him - but again, with what they have invested in him I wouldn't cut him yet either.

It appears to be heading that way though. I don't see how it ends any other way.

Very true...and in particular fans of opposing teams just see it as something to hold over the other teams fanbase.

I won't have a problem if he is cut. It'll suck not just because he was a 1st round pick and you lose that resource, but because we've seen him on the field. When he's out there he has the potential to be a game wrecker. In that way it is a lot like Aldon.

The problem is that his biggest opponent is himself. Sometimes guys beat back their demons and live productive lives and are able to pass those lessons on. Sometimes...and in reality far more often, those demons prevail and all that potential is wasted. I know what I'm hoping for, but it hasn't escaped me that the other is far more likely.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
As long as he remains effectively banned from the team until all the facts come out, I have no problem with this.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":19sx1bma said:
As long as he remains effectively banned from the team until all the facts come out, I have no problem with this.

I more or less agree with this, although to be totally honest, I can also project into a possible future in which he gets off on a technicality and is back on the team as if nothing happened, or just misses some game and everything is "back to normal", and I'm going to absolutely despise that.

As a fan I totally get that neither he nor the 9ers owe me anything, but it would take A LOT for me to not despise that he's still on my favorite team.

(Just cuz it's funny: when this came out I was just starting a new Madden franchise and rather than playing with him I traded him to the Browns for a future 7th round pick :lol: )

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":66txat23 said:
5_Golden_Rings":66txat23 said:

I more or less agree with this, although to be totally honest, I can also project into a possible future in which he gets off on a technicality and is back on the team as if nothing happened, or just misses some game and everything is "back to normal", and I'm going to absolutely despise that.

As a fan I totally get that neither he nor the 9ers owe me anything, but it would take A LOT for me to not despise that he's still on my favorite team.

(Just cuz it's funny: when this came out I was just starting a new Madden franchise and rather than playing with him I traded him to the Browns for a future 7th round pick :lol: )

I know what you mean...but I see it a bit differently. To be clear his actions are abhorrent and inexcusable. This isn't mean in any way as a defense for Domestic Violence...but I think too often we live in a gotcha society where your sins (particularly if you are famous) are held against you and you are forced to wear a Scarlett letter for them for the remainder of your life.

If he's guilty then there are no excuses. What I think we too often miss though is that these are YOUNG guys, often from really rough backgrounds where violence was all they knew who can learn and be productive (and I mean in society, not necessarily on the field). There often seems to be no room for someone to learn from their actions and become a better person because they have to live with a label. Forever.

As I've said before, if the Niners release him I'll be fine with it because if he's guilty that's EASILY justifiable, but I just hate the labeling, gotcha, judgement-based society the world has become.

...and again...to be clear...this is not condoning what he's accused of. I just think there is no room anymore for redemption.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Marvin49":2h4lj7fs said:
Popeyejones":2h4lj7fs said:
5_Golden_Rings":2h4lj7fs said:

I know what you mean...but I see it a bit differently. To be clear his actions are abhorrent and inexcusable. This isn't mean in any way as a defense for Domestic Violence...but I think too often we live in a gotcha society where your sins (particularly if you are famous) are held against you and you are forced to wear a Scarlett letter for them for the remainder of your life.

If he's guilty then there are no excuses. What I think we too often miss though is that these are YOUNG guys, often from really rough backgrounds where violence was all they knew who can learn and be productive (and I mean in society, not necessarily on the field). There often seems to be no room for someone to learn from their actions and become a better person because they have to live with a label. Forever.

As I've said before, if the Niners release him I'll be fine with it because if he's guilty that's EASILY justifiable, but I just hate the labeling, gotcha, judgement-based society the world has become.

...and again...to be clear...this is not condoning what he's accused of. I just think there is no room anymore for redemption.
There is also the possibility that he is guilty, but not of what he was charged with (that is, the charges are exaggerated). DAs do that all the time to make plea deal negotiation easier.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
In local news interviews, the DA suggested the victim might not cooperate, and that he would be pressing charges regardless.

The woman had a ruptured eardrum. He had a definitely illegal firearm on prem. Foster's BAC was near 0.40. Still and all, it could be an easy year before the trial even starts. Is it the 49ers plan to bench him until the cpnclusion?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Foster’s arrest would be his second within a month. On Jan. 18, he was arrested and charged with second-degree possession of marijuana.

In California, you can recreationally possess an ounce or have six plants. You also can't smoke pot in the NFL....did this not trigger a UI?

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":20meftz5 said:
Foster’s arrest would be his second within a month. On Jan. 18, he was arrested and charged with second-degree possession of marijuana.

In California, you can recreationally possess an ounce or have six plants. You also can't smoke pot in the NFL....did this not trigger a UI?

The Marijuana arrest happened in Alabama.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":25h9vrha said:
In local news interviews, the DA suggested the victim might not cooperate, and that he would be pressing charges regardless.

The woman had a ruptured eardrum. He had a definitely illegal firearm on prem. Foster's BAC was near 0.40. Still and all, it could be an easy year before the trial even starts. Is it the 49ers plan to bench him until the cpnclusion?

I hadn't read anything about the BAC. That's news to me.

I have no idea what their plan is. Perhaps allow the legal process to complete and put him on some sort of a list for the year.

mrt144

Reaction score
Marvin49":1h9c5jar said:
Popeyejones":1h9c5jar said:
5_Golden_Rings":1h9c5jar said:

This is relatively recent because there have been many players that have received 2nd and even 3rd chances for domestic violence. Also the collective memory is faulty given the impermanence of forever. 5-10 years, sure, maybe they're radioactive, but then fans move on - maybe not forgive but just forget that yes, Erik Walden assaulted his GF and pleaded down. But there have been 2nd chances and just now, after all these years and the Ray Rice incident, it's changing against that.

Do people deserve 2nd chances? Sure. Qualified with actual holistic changes to their lives.

Marvin49

Reaction score
mrt144":30n3zb53 said:
Marvin49":30n3zb53 said:
Popeyejones":30n3zb53 said:
5_Golden_Rings":30n3zb53 said:

This is relatively recent because there have been many players that have received 2nd and even 3rd chances for domestic violence. Also the collective memory is faulty given the impermanence of forever. 5-10 years, sure, maybe they're radioactive, but then fans move on - maybe not forgive but just forget that yes, Erik Walden assaulted his GF and pleaded down. But there have been 2nd chances and just now, after all these years and the Ray Rice incident, it's changing against that.

Do people deserve 2nd chances? Sure. Qualified with actual holistic changes to their lives.

It is a recent thing but to be clear was wasn't talking about athletics alone.

If you are famous and somebody simply accuses you of something they can end you. People rush to judgement because its almost as if they WANT it to be true for the sake of juicy gossip.

Now I'm not saying Reuben didn't do anything because it looks really bad...I'm just saying I don't have a problem with people being patient and not rushing to judgement and then looking at the facts of a case and not ending a young mans career with little information.

I do NOT approve of what he may have done, but 30 seconds of supreme idiocy shouldn't be the end. There is no room for redemption.

SF49r

Reaction score
The former girlfriend of 49ers linebacker Reuben Foster on Monday said she can prove Foster did not cause her injuries from an alleged February incident in Los Gatos.

Elissa Ennis, the former girlfriend, released a statement through her attorney, Stephanie Rickard, in which she said she can prove Foster was not responsible for her injuries.

“(Foster) did not strike her, injure her or threaten her,” Rickard said in the statement.

Ennis’ injuries were the result of a physical fight with another woman, and that Foster tried to end his relationship with Ennis after he learned of the fight, Rickard said.

There is a video of that fight with another woman, according to Rickard.

“She was extremely upset and told him if he broke up with her she would ‘trash his career,’ ” Rickard said.

Hope this is true

acer1240

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1f2yzqvh said:

.40? That is backwoods rural Tennessee moonshine drunk.

Wow

Reaction score
Video showing how she got the injuries? Open and shut case... If true, I hope she gets some jail time now. False accusations should absolutely be punished.

Marvin49

Reaction score
wow.

If she is telling the truth, and shes risking legal jeopardy herself by admitting to lying, Then this totally explains the 49ers position, explains why Sherman and Tartt were so supportive, explains why the 49ers were so surprised by the charges, and explains the DAs initial statement about prosecuting without the victim.

It sounds like, again if true, the DA is grandstanding and making an example out of a famous athlete.

If the DV all goes away tho, they still have him on a weapons possession charge...but I dunno if that even gets him suspended.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
If the video exists, Foster walks. SHE may not get in much trouble, because lying to police is not purgery. I don’t know California law on it, but I’m sure someone will look it up.

IF on the other hand, the video exists and is proved to be a forgery (or after the fact event), she committed a felony and both will be in prison.