Reuben Foster Arrested On Domestic Violence Charges

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":ei0bccmn said:
Marvin49":ei0bccmn said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RSherman_25/status/997192491072802816[/tweet]
Just think, you used to hate the guy. 8)

I'm not even going to try and pretend that isn't true. :D

I STILL have reservations about him...

...but to be honest my attention skewed quite a bit more toward politics the past few years and I rarely hear him say something on any social issue that I don't agree with entirely. The "hate" softened quite a bit...and of course lets be real: The demise of the Niners greatly lessened the impact of the rivalry.

I think he'd say that too as I don't think it was ever really the 49ers he had problems with...it was Harbaugh and Crabtree.

Still...gonna take ALOT of getting used to this year seeing him in red and gold.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kidhawk":1ofksn1w said:
Marvin49":1ofksn1w said:
kidhawk":1ofksn1w said:
So, my question here is....was the video introduced at this hearing? Has it been verified at all?

All I've seen mention of is that is was 22 seconds long. I don't think it was shown in court. To be honest though, regardless of what is on the video (unless it can be proven to be falsified), what I'm seeing of what the Defense presented vs what the prosecution presented....you really gotta want him to be guilty to come away thinking he's guilty. Just my opinion.

What I'm reading now is pretty damning for her:

1) The person she flagged down said she had no visible injuries and she wasn't panicked at all.

2) 2 Cops were on scene. One of them said that her injuries didn't seem consistent with her description of him punching her 8-10 times. Keep in mind this was a PROSECUTION witness. The second cop when pressed on if the injuries were consistent with being punched by Foster 8-10 times said "Its not my job to have an opinion" and when pressed said "some people punch in different ways".

Huh?

She also said he seemed agitated when they arrived but I'd imagine just about anyone would be agitated if the cops were called and your girlfriend was telling them you hit her 8-10 times.

3) All accounts I've read from people in the room said this hearing overwhelmingly went Fosters way and seemed to exonerate him. Reporters who were in the room afterward asked the Lawyer when he was leaving "How does it feel to exonerate your client" and "Are you going to sue Ms. Ennis".

There are always going to be inconsistencies that a good lawyer can punch holes in, and he may well be innocent, the problem is that we can't believe her recant anymore than we can believe her original story. Right now, he (in my mind) is equally guilty and innocent. In other words, I wouldn't be able to say without a doubt either way. With her testimony so fatally flawed, for anyone looking at the situation without an agenda, it's hard to say he's innocent. There are just too many cases of battered women recanting for any number of reasons. The video, if it's out there and verifiable would be the proof that he'd need to say he's absolutely and 100% not guilty of this crime. That doesn't mean there's enough evidence to prosecute, and even if it gets dismissed at this point, that doesn't mean he's innocent, only that the prosecution didn't bring forth enough evidence.

Honestly, I can't say whether he's guilty or innocent, because too many times recanting is done for any number of reasons.

For selfish reasons, I would like the tape to be entered as evidence so it can be verified as authentic (or found to be fraudulent). Either way that would give me enough to have no doubt either way.

I can't blame you for not accepting her recant, but for me its the nature of the recant and not the fact that she recanted that has me convinced.

I mean now neither cop nor the passerby can even say she had any physical signs of being hit.

She went to jail in 2011 for...wait for it...lying about an ex-boyfriend hitting her.

I also don't think the video would prove anything. The only way it makes a HUGE difference is if it was falsified.

I did learn a little more BTW:

The video was presented on an iPad by Fosters attorney to one of the detectives. Only the detective and Fosters Lawyer could see it. At NO POINT did the DA or any detective in the room question the validity of the video. The point there was to show that some scratches on her neck could have come from that fight with another woman.

Heres the problem though. Even if the video shows that diffinitively, that isn't proof that he never hit her. Its simply evidense that suggests any injuries she had could have come from someplace else.

Again tho...the important thing here is the video was used in the courtroom and NOBODY challenged its validity. They only questioned whether it explained injuries she had at the hospital.

This is kinda damning too...She recanted the story two days after the initial report and a point was made that there was no evidence of any contact between Foster and Ennis in that time. The detective that heard her initial recant admitted he NEVER INVESTIGATED her story and chose only to pursue evidence on Foster.

To be honest on all of this, while I can't say 100% that he didn't do it, Its really hard for me to envision the scenario in which she admits to having done it before, admits to stealing his Rolex, admits to stealing his clothes, admits to going back in the house after he was arrested and stealing his bank routing numbers, admits to following him around and taking pictures after the fact so she could sell them to TMZ...and for her to be lying about all of that.

All she had to do for him was say he didn't do it. Her Counsel advised her to plead the fifth so as not to incriminate herself.

She admitted to stuff she didn't need to admit.

In short...I think she needs help. It isn't really hard for me to say I think he's innocent because it isn't JUST her testimony that tells me that. I can't say that 100%, but honestly no matter what happens I don't think I'll ever be able to say he 100% didn't do it.

That's what sucks here. If he's innocent, it won't matter to many people. He'll always be guilty of having been accused. That'll be enough for many.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
So there is due process? Or should we just believe what women say automatically because they are women and should be believed without being questioned?

Or should we just let the media just prosecute the allegations because we all know the allegation is just as bad as the crime,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,right?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Sherm loves playing the victim, even if it's not him. Can't go 5 minutes w/out opening his trap and/or talking down to people.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":12l0l1qy said:
Sherm loves playing the victim, even if it's not him. Can't go 5 minutes w/out opening his trap and/or talking down to people.

How is this him playing the victim? His point is valid.

Heck, I'm the one who bumped the Foster thread when news of this arrest broke and the totality of my post was "CUT HIM NOW."

Yesterday after the pre-trial hearing even Tim friggin Kawakami offered a mea culpa and said he was wrong to argue that Foster should have been cut -- Kawkami's been around since I was a kid, and I've never seen him own up to being wrong before in my entire life. :lol:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":f5ulnycp said:
To be honest on all of this, while I can't say 100% that he didn't do it...

Yeah, this is fair.

Also fair though is that to get to 100% we're basically talking about video evidence of the entire night, which simply doesn't exist.

My question would be (not for you, just generally), beyond what we already have what in the world could make us more certain that he didn't do this?

The DA's office has already said in the preliminary hearing that the only evidence they have that he did this was her initial statement; the two arresting officers have said her injuries didn't line up with that initial statement; the motorist who she flagged down said nothing lined up with her statement, she is putting herself at substantial legal jeopardy and going into great details about the lies and motivations of that statement; and there's video evidence of how she sustained her injuries that the DAs office didn't even try to challenge in the preliminary hearing.

Does that mean we can be 100% certain that this didn't happen? No, it does not. But back out here in the real world what else do people want?

The real tell here is that the prosecutor's closing argument is that her statements have been inconsistent. Remember, the prosecutor admitte that her initial statement is the only evidence they have (which even the arresting officers have drawn into question under oath). Think about that. The prosecution's closing argument is that the only evidence they have is not reliable :lol: This is an absolute dog of a case. It still very well may go to trial -- those standards are low -- but I really don't know what else (that could actually exist) people are looking for.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":fyf0dx5a said:

I think that quote had a lot to do with many fans giving him flack for attending one of Foster hearings for support.

At the time many said he was backing the wrong person.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":egvj7dm6 said:
SoulfishHawk":egvj7dm6 said:

How is this him playing the victim? His point is valid.

Heck, I'm the one who bumped the Foster thread when news of this arrest broke and the totality of my post was "CUT HIM NOW."

Yesterday after the pre-trial hearing even Tim friggin Kawakami offered a mea culpa and said he was wrong to argue that Foster should have been cut -- Kawkami's been around since I was a kid, and I've never seen him own up to being wrong before in my entire life. :lol:

LOL.

Truer words never spoken.

I can't stand Kawakami. He's one of the triumvirate of guys I can't stand when it comes to the Niners...Kawakami and the Cohns. You know...those guys are where the whole "approved writers" thing comes from. :D

His article yesterday was more of a backtrack than I've ever seen. Ann Killions as well (tho I don't hate Ann...I just think she gets ahead of her skis). I'm curious what Grant Cohn has said but I know whatever he says will just annoy me with its innate Cohn-ness.

The one thing I will say about the Kawakami and Killion articles...while they did say they were wrong (Kawakami in particular), they went to great effort to explain why their wrong position was still the fault of past 49er management.

LOL.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":2h7wku03 said:
kidhawk":2h7wku03 said:
Marvin49":2h7wku03 said:
kidhawk":2h7wku03 said:
So, my question here is....was the video introduced at this hearing? Has it been verified at all?

All I've seen mention of is that is was 22 seconds long. I don't think it was shown in court. To be honest though, regardless of what is on the video (unless it can be proven to be falsified), what I'm seeing of what the Defense presented vs what the prosecution presented....you really gotta want him to be guilty to come away thinking he's guilty. Just my opinion.

1) The person she flagged down said she had no visible injuries and she wasn't panicked at all.

2) 2 Cops were on scene. One of them said that her injuries didn't seem consistent with her description of him punching her 8-10 times. Keep in mind this was a PROSECUTION witness. The second cop when pressed on if the injuries were consistent with being punched by Foster 8-10 times said "Its not my job to have an opinion" and when pressed said "some people punch in different ways".

Huh?

She also said he seemed agitated when they arrived but I'd imagine just about anyone would be agitated if the cops were called and your girlfriend was telling them you hit her 8-10 times.

3) All accounts I've read from people in the room said this hearing overwhelmingly went Fosters way and seemed to exonerate him. Reporters who were in the room afterward asked the Lawyer when he was leaving "How does it feel to exonerate your client" and "Are you going to sue Ms. Ennis".

There are always going to be inconsistencies that a good lawyer can punch holes in, and he may well be innocent, the problem is that we can't believe her recant anymore than we can believe her original story. Right now, he (in my mind) is equally guilty and innocent. In other words, I wouldn't be able to say without a doubt either way. With her testimony so fatally flawed, for anyone looking at the situation without an agenda, it's hard to say he's innocent. There are just too many cases of battered women recanting for any number of reasons. The video, if it's out there and verifiable would be the proof that he'd need to say he's absolutely and 100% not guilty of this crime. That doesn't mean there's enough evidence to prosecute, and even if it gets dismissed at this point, that doesn't mean he's innocent, only that the prosecution didn't bring forth enough evidence.

Honestly, I can't say whether he's guilty or innocent, because too many times recanting is done for any number of reasons.

For selfish reasons, I would like the tape to be entered as evidence so it can be verified as authentic (or found to be fraudulent). Either way that would give me enough to have no doubt either way.

I can't blame you for not accepting her recant, but for me its the nature of the recant and not the fact that she recanted that has me convinced.

I mean now neither cop nor the passerby can even say she had any physical signs of being hit.

She went to jail in 2011 for...wait for it...lying about an ex-boyfriend hitting her.

I also don't think the video would prove anything. The only way it makes a HUGE difference is if it was falsified.

The video was presented on an iPad by Fosters attorney to one of the detectives. Only the detective and Fosters Lawyer could see it. At NO POINT did the DA or any detective in the room question the validity of the video. The point there was to show that some scratches on her neck could have come from that fight with another woman.

Heres the problem though. Even if the video shows that diffinitively, that isn't proof that he never hit her. Its simply evidense that suggests any injuries she had could have come from someplace else.

Again tho...the important thing here is the video was used in the courtroom and NOBODY challenged its validity. They only questioned whether it explained injuries she had at the hospital.

This is kinda damning too...She recanted the story two days after the initial report and a point was made that there was no evidence of any contact between Foster and Ennis in that time. The detective that heard her initial recant admitted he NEVER INVESTIGATED her story and chose only to pursue evidence on Foster.

To be honest on all of this, while I can't say 100% that he didn't do it, Its really hard for me to envision the scenario in which she admits to having done it before, admits to stealing his Rolex, admits to stealing his clothes, admits to going back in the house after he was arrested and stealing his bank routing numbers, admits to following him around and taking pictures after the fact so she could sell them to TMZ...and for her to be lying about all of that.

All she had to do for him was say he didn't do it. Her Counsel advised her to plead the fifth so as not to incriminate herself.

In short...I think she needs help. It isn't really hard for me to say I think he's innocent because it isn't JUST her testimony that tells me that. I can't say that 100%, but honestly no matter what happens I don't think I'll ever be able to say he 100% didn't do it.

That's what sucks here. If he's innocent, it won't matter to many people. He'll always be guilty of having been accused. That'll be enough for many.

That bit about the video being played at trial tells me more than anything that she could have said on the stand. Right now, her testimony is weak and I couldn't find her to be a reliable witness for the prosecution or the defense. The fact that the video was played without objection, tells me that it's more than likely valid. It's still not a 100% either way, but as things stand today, I wouldn't convict him (if I were a jurist). Of course there is still the outstanding gun charge, and I haven't heard much about that. Doesn't really make sense to go after such a weak DV case and not the gun charge. That's likely where there may be a conviction out of all this (or a plea).

Marvin49

Reaction score
kidhawk":kkwwck42 said:
Marvin49":kkwwck42 said:
kidhawk":kkwwck42 said:
Marvin49":kkwwck42 said:

Huh?

That bit about the video being played at trial tells me more than anything that she could have said on the stand. Right now, her testimony is weak and I couldn't find her to be a reliable witness for the prosecution or the defense. The fact that the video was played without objection, tells me that it's more than likely valid. It's still not a 100% either way, but as things stand today, I wouldn't convict him (if I were a jurist). Of course there is still the outstanding gun charge, and I haven't heard much about that. Doesn't really make sense to go after such a weak DV case and not the gun charge. That's likely where there may be a conviction out of all this (or a plea).

...a bit more on the bolded...

1) The Ammunition (large Magazine) charge has already been dropped.
2) While the weapon is illegal in CA, it was purchased legally in Alabama. Likely that charge is reduced to misdemeanor.

Another interesting note...one of the charges was in regards to him destroying her Cell phone when she tried to call 911.

1) I dunno how the law would treat someone destroying property to prevent another person from falsely accusing you.
2) She said during her testimony that it wasn't her phone. It was his. It was in his name and he paid the bill.

No clue whatsoever how that would be handled legally.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":1gt277ee said:
2) While the weapon is illegal in CA, it was purchased legally in Alabama. Likely that charge is reduced to misdemeanor.

Another interesting note...one of the charges was in regards to him destroying her Cell phone when she tried to call 911.

1) I dunno how the law would treat someone destroying property to prevent another person from falsely accusing you.
2) She said during her testimony that it wasn't her phone. It was his. It was in his name and he paid the bill.

I would have expected it to be a misdemeanor from what I'd read, but the evidence of his possessing the weapon illegally is irrefutable. The only way I could see this not reaching a conviction is if they screwed up the process of finding the gun in the first place and it got tossed out that way. Otherwise I can easily see that becoming a plea deal with a fine and suspended sentence (max)

As for the information about the phone. That makes for an interesting topic of thought really. I am not sure how I feel about it. I am torn, because no matter the phone, if someone is dialing 911, nobody should forcibly stop that. IMO, the ownership of the phone shouldn't really matter in that case. The fact that she was calling to file a false report, also shouldn't matter, as that is for the police to deal with and not for an individual to decide on the spot. With that said, I'd want to know exactly what transpired. Did he assault her to get the phone away from her? If he did, then just in that, he's committed a crime. No doubt, it's a tough scenario to think through all the possibilities.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kidhawk":nayc2y2q said:
Marvin49":nayc2y2q said:

I would have expected it to be a misdemeanor from what I'd read, but the evidence of his possessing the weapon illegally is irrefutable. The only way I could see this not reaching a conviction is if they screwed up the process of finding the gun in the first place and it got tossed out that way. Otherwise I can easily see that becoming a plea deal with a fine and suspended sentence (max)

As for the information about the phone. That makes for an interesting topic of thought really. I am not sure how I feel about it. I am torn, because no matter the phone, if someone is dialing 911, nobody should forcibly stop that. IMO, the ownership of the phone shouldn't really matter in that case. The fact that she was calling to file a false report, also shouldn't matter, as that is for the police to deal with and not for an individual to decide on the spot. With that said, I'd want to know exactly what transpired. Did he assault her to get the phone away from her? If he did, then just in that, he's committed a crime. No doubt, it's a tough scenario to think through all the possibilities.

RE: Gun...

Yeah, that's what I'm expecting.

RE: Phone...

I think the charge is more classified as holding her against her will...but according to her statement in court he was LITERALLY running away from her and she was chasing him.

This whole situation isn't funny but I can't deny that I didn't get a chuckle envisioning a 240 lbs Linebacker running away from a 100 lb woman screaming at him "I'm gonna F*** yo' sh** up!!".

There are still some things that I have questions about.

1) According to police statement on day of his arrest, he admitted to destroying a phone. Yesterday she said SHE destroyed it and it was his phone. I dunno what to make of that. Confusion on initial report? Her lying on the stand? More than one phone in question? I honestly don't know.

2) There was a live in guest that witnessed at least the beginning of the argument when Foster broke up with her, but beyond his brief mention, he wasn't a witness for either side. Curious what he would have to say.

3) She was the one who told officers there was a weapon in the home and when it was found it was found loaded on the bathroom floor. Fosters attorney made the point in court that the charge should be made a misdemeanor because it was purchased legally in Alabama. The Prosecutor argued that it was improperly stored because it was found loaded in the bathroom...but how can that be held against Foster if its clear that she knew about the weapon? IE, how do we know who loaded it and had it in the bathroom? She all but pointed the police to it being in the home.

4) Right after his arrest, she admitted to going back into the house, stealing his Rolex, stealing designer clothes, and stealing his bank routing numbers to take his money. She admitted to following him and taking pictures of him returning a corvette to the dealer so that she could sell the pictures to TMZ. Why on earth would she admit to all that? None of that was necessary to help his cause. Why did she so thoroughly incriminate herself to crimes which had nothing to do with his guilt or innocence? She was also crying profusely on the stand and they had to take at least one break for her to compose herself.

5) 2 days after the incident, she attempted to recant. She spoke to one of the officers who was on scene the day of his arrest and that officer admitted on the stand he never even attempted to look into her story that she'd been in a fight. The video didn't come into light until several weeks later when someone had posted it on Instagram. We now know that the video is likely legit because it was never challenged in court, but the really damning thing to me is why the officer never once even investigated her story. I understand that he may not have believed her, but you have to at LEAST give some preliminary investigation into whether she in fact was in another fight that would explain the injuries. In addition, that same officer said under cross that her injuries didn't appear consistent with the 8-10 punches she claimed to have been victim to.

chris98251

Reaction score
kidhawk":2hbpr56w said:
Marvin49":2hbpr56w said:

I don't know, be a Black man with a women calling saying she was being beaten, cops show up and shoot you for holding a phone. Those are the types of things that I am sure go thru many peoples heads. The Police Forces in many areas now have that shade on them right or wrong putting your life in their hands in this situation especially when it is false would be a risk I wouldn't want to take, especially as a very young person and if it was my phone she was calling on.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":bv615n30 said:
So there is due process? Or should we just believe what women say automatically because they are women and should be believed without being questioned?

Or should we just let the media just prosecute the allegations because we all know the allegation is just as bad as the crime,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,right?

That is exactly what the want. Yes you got it.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":29ol5nyk said:
Honestly, and this is probably just the cynic in me, I think it's far more likely she's recanting because there's money with her name on it if Foster is cleared than anything else.

Victims of DV do this type of stuff - even when there isn't massive financial gain to be had like in this situation. They go back on what they said, they say it's their own fault for things escalating, they say things didn't actually happen the way they initially explained it, they say that they somehow already had their injuries, etc. They stop working with the prosecutors and then the next thing we know the perp. gets a slap on the wrist.

Even if this all blows over, I would never trust Foster moving forward. I'm not rooting for his demise, but I would be surprised if he straightened up and didn't have trouble continue to follow him.
There's also PRISON waiting for her based on her testimony, where she got up there and confessed to several CRIMES.

They usually do recant, yes. They don't usually INCRIMINATE THEMSELVES on the stand for felony theft (over $8000 + two watches possibly more expensive than that). Among other crimes.

They also don't usually have a record for a previous false DV accusation, like she does, or threaten to send pictures of the "abuser's" car to TMZ.

Nor do they usually have video evidence of a physical altercation with someone else that could have given her the injuries.

The girl basically set her self up to be criminally prosecuted. And the DA's strongest argument? "Well, Reuben Foster had long nails, so it's possible those scratches, or at least some of them, came from him."

I mean, the evidence strongly implies there isn't close to beyond a reasonable doubt. Furthermore, based on her testimony and the video evidence, and the testimony of the officer (who didn't follow up on several important facts), it seems clear that he's not going to lose the case if it goes to trial, and it will be a blowout victory.

Lastly, based on all of this together, I find it likely that she is the liar, not him. Call it a preponderance of evidence.

Marvin49

Reaction score
A bit more from the hearing....

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/997573461999472640[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/997578605398917120[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/997904364923572224[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/997904658432577536[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/997906387777736705[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/997906979338137601[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/997907201829191680[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/997908183342460928[/tweet]

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":oou0igy8 said:
A bit more from the hearing....

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/997573461999472640[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/997578605398917120[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/997904364923572224[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/997904658432577536[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/997906387777736705[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/997906979338137601[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/997907201829191680[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/997908183342460928[/tweet]
If this is true she needs to go to prison for a long time.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
kidhawk":3kz60efu said:
Marvin49":3kz60efu said:
kidhawk":3kz60efu said:

Huh?

If it's 50/50 then there is not only reasonable doubt, there isn't even probable cause.

Marvin49

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2epr0utd said:
kidhawk":2epr0utd said:
Marvin49":2epr0utd said:
kidhawk":2epr0utd said:

Huh?

If it's 50/50 then there is not only reasonable doubt, there isn't even probable cause.

To be honest, after reading everything I've read, I find it really hard to see it as a lawyer finding inconsistencies to provide reasonable doubt.

The accuser admitted to SEVERAL felonies on the stand, none of the witnesses saw any injuries consistent with her first description of the event, the DA never argued the video showing her in a fight with another woman was fake or falsified, AND the person whom she flagged down said she was perfectly calm, not upset, and didn't even realize she was calling 911.

Its true that we can never be 100% sure, but at this point, IMO, you really have to want it to be true to believe he beat her.