Why 49ers drafted Buckner....

OP
OP
N

NINEster

Reaction score
A few thoughts:

1. Justin Smith can be transcendent along with other guys. He was very much underrated with people on here saying it would be a crime to even begin to compare him to JJ Watt. Either they breathe the same air or they don't....people have to make up their minds.

2. Chippy needs talent to succeed. As much as he thought he could make anyone succeed within his system, his success under Foles had a lot more to do with surrounding talent than anything else. Bradford didn't have a Desean Jackson, Lesean McCoy, Jeremy Maclin or other pieces that made that first year Eagles offense under Kelly, go. Even the interior OL was cited as an issue as to why the run game fell off...not just Demarco Murray's running style.

The 49ers this season should be able to provide the OL/RB part of the equation. Deep threat WR as well. As far as TE and the other receiver slots that remains to be seen.

QB I know you guys have a hatred for any signal caller wearing red and gold, but both are light years ahead of Michael Vick who initially QB'd that team, and have tons more mobility than anyone he's coached at the NFL level. So with that as a bare minimum, he should be ok there too.

3. MizzouHawkGal - appreciate the hate. Sports hate is good....it's what makes the wins sweeter. Compare your team winning to generic rooting of teams in the postseason when your team isn't it.....nowhere near the same level of intensity!

Don't know why an SF girl would grow up to be an OAK fan, but ok. I know someone who grew up in the East Bay that went with the Niners claiming the Raiders were already in LA, when he was at least 5 or 6 years old when it happened.

Unless you're over 40, the Raiders were not better than the 49ers for you growing up.

4. This is a fun thread and the .NET Nation is a good sport. The only thing that could have made it better is if Baalke dedicated the entire draft on DL/OLB to get to Wilson, haha!

Laloosh

Reaction score
Whoa, whoa, whoa... Just stop right there.

Who here hates Blaine Gabbert?

Edit: And... Buckner.

We really should move this conversation to another thread.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Thought it was kinda cool...and unlike most of the posts in this thread (mine included), on topic.

1zppqvr

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":3tddoolp said:
Thought it was kinda cool...and unlike most of the posts in this thread (mine included), on topic.

1zppqvr

Fugly. Looks like bloody bile vomit. Combining two of the ugliest uniforms available doesn't help either ugly uniform.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1vjtar30 said:
rideaducati":1vjtar30 said:
5_Golden_Rings":1vjtar30 said:
pehawk":1vjtar30 said:
Buckner's propensity to be average 75% of his snaps will certainly strike fear into Wilson.
That's higher than most defensive linemen even if it were true.

kearly":1vjtar30 said:
I see Buckner as being a bit like a rookie Frank Clark. Makes a lot of splash plays that are nice, but is a ways off from being a 10 sack guy.
He doesn't play on the outside in the first place. He's a defensive tackle (an end in a 34 scheme). That said, he DID get ten sacks last year.

It's amazing how a guy who was universally considered one of the top picks in the draft is suddenly average here once the 49ers draft him.

I find this amazing too. Like Cleveland, the niners turn "can't miss" prospects into awful players. How can they do that so consistently?

Good point. Look at Crabtree, Ted Ginn jr and Delainie Walker to just name a few. They definitely are not getting the most out of their players.

I wonder how good Buckner and Armestad will become after going to another team. Assuming they don't retire before their rookie contract is up.
Crabtree's best year was with the 49ers (that's right he did better one of his seasons with them than he did in Oakland last year), Walker was playing next to the 13 TD version of Vernon Davis, so he wasn't going to be on the field as much, and Ginn had all of 44 receptions last year when he was forced into the starting lineup. He started 13 last year and the previous 8 years he averaged only starting 5.

Marvin49":1vjtar30 said:
NINEster":1vjtar30 said:
I don't know of anyone who believes our front 4 were better than when Cowboy and Raymac were lined up or a better O-line when Iupati and Davis were part of it. Actually any O-line combination.

Your LB's are good. Willis and Bowman but not near the level 9er fans believe. That was more a function of the front four that kept them clean and allowed them to play free. They were very good but IMO not transendant talent like Cowboy was.

Why do you think Baalke drafted Buckner and Armestad? That's pretty much the premise of this thread.

Not wanting Wilson for any reason when you have Gabbert and Kaep is as homer as it gets. Defense has zero to do with it but if you think the defense is what is making Wilson successful well maybe you can get more homer.

Get outta here with the Willis and Bowman comments. They were great LBs, and when Justin was around even better. Willis was defensive rookie of the year and did more pre-Fangio than Luke and Bobby have done so far.

If not, then people gotta stop blowing Luke and Bobby.

As far as Wilson, it's more of.......he's not adding much to the win count to the 2016 49ers....and no need to have anyone who isn't a top 5 QB in the league on this current team anyways.

We've never seen Wilson play on a remotely bad or average team so far. The only other QBs who have had this fortune are Brady, Rodgers, Dalton, and Peyton Manning the last 10-12 years. Rivers, Roethlisberger, Ryan, Flacco, Kap, Newton, Eli, Palmer, Alex Smith have all played on some bad teams from time to time. You think Wilson would have done any better on those teams than those guys? LOL.

When it comes down to it, 49ers vs. Seahawks when the rivalry was good.....Niners had a bit more talent, Hawks had a bit better coaching, and that kept the two pretty even except in Seattle.

Yeah...didn't even know where to start on that one.

First off they didn't have a front 4 in front of them. They ran a 3-4 defense which inherantly means your ILBs are going to have to wade through more traffic than a MLB in a 4-3. Did Justin and McDonald make a difference for those ILBs? Of course they did...but two things can be equally true. IMO that was one of the best front 7s in NFL history for a few years there.

Is Baalke trying to somewhat replace those DEs for their current LBs? Sure he is...but they didn't have either of them last year and Bowman STILL led the NFL in tackles and was elected All-Pro while still not completely healthy in year one of his return.

Pat? Nobody will ever convince me that in his prime Pat wasn't one of the best ILBS this game has ever seen. He was great long before the team was great. IMO only his short career will keep him out of the HoF.

Good catch on the 3-4 vs 4-3 my bad I brain farted for a second, I know you run a 3-4 for but my point still stands. How many years did Willis play without Cowboy? How did Aldon Smith do without Cowboy in front of him? I think 9er fans don't give Cowboy the credit he deserves. How did you guys play after he went down in the Pats game? And without him in Seattle the next week? How about last year? I think Fangio even gets credit for what Cowboy was able to accomplish.

Willis was good, very good but without Cowboy he wasn't transcendent. Nothing wrong with that.

Bowman got in on reputation. Go read your own threads and you know he wasn't the same player as before the injury. Which also coincides with Cowboy's departure. We will see next year when he doesn't have the injury question mark but I suspect he will be a good LB but nothing close to what he was when he played behind Cowboy and next to another very good LB in Willis.

Take Borland, another guy 9er fans thought was elite. Do you really believe that any LB the Baalke drafts is transcendent? Is it possible they all had something in common? I think it is.

The funny part of this conversation is that we had this discussion about Aldon. Every Seahawk fan told you his success was due in large part to Cowboy. Now go look on the webzone and they are saying the same thing. Aldon without Cowboy on the field was a good end but again, not transcendent like 9er fans thought he was before.

I know 9er fans wanted to put all of these guys in the HOF but really the only guy the truly deserves to be there is the one that seems to continuously get overlooked by 9er fans. Cowboy really is the one deserving of HOF consideration.

Nice to see you put your teeth back in Marvin. I think your a good guy and a good sport but lately with all that has went on you seem to have become a little passive. I give you shit but I really do believe your a good guy and a good fan.

A better question would be "how many First Team All Pro seasons did Willis get to without Cowboy" versus how many years he didn't without him. The problem with that question is that Willis was with Cowboy for all but his rookie season. BUT... he made First Team All Pro his rookie season, so there you go.

Willis makes First Team All Pro his ROOKIE season WITHOUT Cowboy, and you say he wasn't "transcendent." Um yeah. If he played five more seasons he was going to the Hall of Fame without question. He was bar none the best middle linebacker in football for about five seasons, making First Team All Pro in all but one of his first six seasons (he made the Pro Bowl in every single season he played more than 6 games)- including the season he was without Justin Smith (in which he recorded 174 tackles, which is 4th all time in a single season- a number that's only been reached one other time since).

Another way you can look at it is... how many All Pro Seasons did Justin Smith have without Willis? Zero. How many Pro Bowl seasons did Justin Smith have without Willis? Zero. When it comes to MLBs, there's Ray Lewis and then everyone else. But at the top of that list of everyone else, Willis is right there with anyone.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
rideaducati":3e6kpee0 said:
Marvin49":3e6kpee0 said:

1zppqvr

Fugly. Looks like bloody bile vomit. Combining two of the ugliest uniforms available doesn't help either ugly uniform.
I've always kind of liked Frisco's unis. Ducks though, :pukeface:

chris98251

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1aaauu4e said:
rideaducati":1aaauu4e said:
Marvin49":1aaauu4e said:

1zppqvr

So York is using reuse Unis from the Ducks with a painted overlay this season?

I guess that is one way to try to save money with Kaep still sitting on the bench.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":r2nf7px5 said:
rideaducati":r2nf7px5 said:
Marvin49":r2nf7px5 said:

1zppqvr

I dunno...Ducks unis have kinda grown on me over the years. It changes week to week tho. The ones in this pick I like...Green jerseys with the metallic winged helmets. The black ones I hate and I like the wolf grey ones just as I liked Seattles wolf greys.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Yeah, the Ducks uniform has definitely grown on me too over the years.

As for the Hawks uniforms, I've always really liked their logo, but have always found the color scheme to be pretty horrific (particularly after the refresh), and to look more like a fake team from Any Given Sunday than a real NFL one. At least they stopped using those lime green alternates though, which, sheesh. :lol:

The wolf grey is really, really nice, though. If they went with that full time (or started over with that as the base) they'd have one of the better uni sets in the NFL, IMO.

Edit: as I'm a 9ers fan and will no doubt get crap for saying that save for the awesome and too rarely utilized wolf greys I find the Hawks uniform to be kind of an eyesore, I should also say that I think they have a good enough color scheme, but have never thought their team logo was anything to write home about. Save for the "SF" font I think all their fonts have been really bad, and I've never liked the elongated gold and black ovals in the logo they've been using for the last 20 years or so.

OP
OP
N

NINEster

Reaction score
So to update the list:

Robert Saleh

Malcolm Smith, Brock Coyle, Cassius Marsh, Richard Sherman....

Let's recap the total count:

Arik Armstead (DT)
DeForest Buckner (DT)
Solomon Thomas (DE)
Reuben Foster (LB)
Former Hawks above (5)
Fred Warner (LB)
Akhello Witherspoon (CB)

I've got 10 players, 1 coach.

Only one player left to go. A true LEO and it's a wrap.

Only took 4 offseasons.

:shock: :mrgreen:

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Wow what a bump fail.

TBH you should have waited until after the 49ers got a real LEO and then actually started getting their hands on the slippery little rabbit. :les:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I hope they keep drafting Oregon Ducks, easier to hate the Niners that way! 8)

OP
OP
N

NINEster

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":3etbts0k said:
Wow what a bump fail.

TBH you should have waited until after the 49ers got a real LEO and then actually started getting their hands on the slippery little rabbit. :les:

I can't just show up for the good times you know? :lol:

OP
OP
N

NINEster

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3n61ox9v said:
I hope they keep drafting Oregon Ducks, easier to hate the Niners that way! 8)

What's going to happen when Pete inevitably takes away Armstead from SF?

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Buckner is really a good player. He's not a bust like some of the other recent picks we have had. He was well worth the pick. Just a tremendous player.

94Smith

Reaction score
Buckner can actually get to Wilson and had 2 (3?) sacks on him this season. He was instrumental in their win at Levis.

rlkats

Reaction score
:stirthepot: Um what is the purpose of pulling out a thread from 2016?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
rlkats":2b21sd7o said:
:stirthepot: Um what is the purpose of pulling out a thread from 2016?
It’s called “trolling” its what that particular poster does.