No Fun League @ it again

IndyHawk

Reaction score
naholmes":2nkpuj34 said:
“leading with the crown of their helmets to initiate contact against an opponent“

It shouldn’t apply to a RB diving for the end zone because they are not initiating contact the defender would be attempting to do that. Yes there’s going to be judgement calls but it’s good to at least have replay to hopefully limit the questionable ejections. They have to do something the problem seemed to get worse last year with some sickening and unnecessary hits (Trevathan’s hit on Davante Adams comes to mind). I don’t find watching guys getting knocked unconscious to be much fun at all.
This happened before any rules ..
It was absolutely fun to watch Steve Largent knock out the Denver safety that put a visious
knock out hit on him like 8 weeks before..I loved it ..really did!

mrt144

Reaction score
Anything that nudges players towards better technique, even if draconian, seems like a good start. A few years of seeing how it plays out and revisiting 3 to 5 years down the line - why not?

lukerguy

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1xo52yrr said:
Soulfish,

Remember these guys often start their journey into the NFL at the age of 9, maybe 10.

The commitment requires evenings, summers and years. By the time they hit the NFL they probably committed 10 years to this, if not more. My friend had a kid that played safety for the University of Washington. They don't get to pick their classes, and many instances not even their doctor. It is an investment of years to an opportunity few actually can reach.

Now remember that while we knew about concussions, the actual impact and depth of the problem + who it impacts was not clear until maybe the past 5 years. Maybe 3.

I work in technology. If tomorrow computers just stopped working, or I could no longer work in tech? I would be screwed. They kind of face the same issue if you take away football from them.

Consider a kid that devoted that many years taking the single track to star college and hopefully NFL. Then find out that the danger is that large? But what choice does he have?

A lot of these kids do not have other options and it isn't their choice.

Given that, wouldn't you be OK with 'watering down' the game a bit in de-emphasizing the physical aspect to emphasize the athletic instead?

Football was and sometimes still is about the ability to inflict and endure pain/punishment. But I can still get behind a game that is more about fantastic runs, amazing catches, or a tremendous effort batting away the ball. Especially if that means more of them can remember the names of their wives later or don't become violent with family members later. (Read up on what happens to these guys and how it affects their families. Trust me, there is no way they signed up for that and it is ridiculous the NFL hid what it knew for so long)

Exactly my point. By the time they've invested into this, it's not really a choice anyone could every make to walk away so we need to step in an protect them.

Does anyone think the college game is no longer enjoyable? I still enjoy it a lot!

chris98251

Reaction score
I think you really need to look at what leading with crown means, not incidental helmet to helmet contact but as a weapon is what I am leaning on, the hit on Davis Kam had was clean, hits where your torpedoing a guy head first using the head as a bullet and then running thru the guy is one of the biggest issues. not helmet to helmet itself.

We called it spearing when I played.

OP
OP
S

stang233

Reaction score
Again I have no issue with the penalty. It is the ejection. That can change a whole game. Imagine if play one of SB 48 KAM gets booted. I believe it'd unfair to change the landscape of the game.

mikeak

Reaction score
This is about the league surviving long term

The players complaining today are the same players suing the league tomorrow

With all that is known in regards to head injuries the league didn’t have a choice

mrt144

Reaction score
mikeak":o7ajg96h said:
This is about the league surviving long term

The players complaining today are the same players suing the league tomorrow

With all that is known in regards to head injuries the league didn’t have a choice

And the same players that won't be around in 15-20 years, with few exceptions.

jeremiah

Reaction score
I don't get this at all. Some guy makes a movie, invents a syndrome and it is just now accepted as fact? Boxers take much more punishment with sparring and some going 30 years, and most are fine. Some of course are messed up, but that is related to the big blows like Heavyweights. You could actually watch the Frazier-Ali fights and see that the fight should have been stopped. It was great entertainment, but there were several concussions involved in 1 hour. Football? This is just an over-hyped move to extort large sums of money from the game in most cases.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I just hope the NFL doesn't turn into the NHL with constant rule changes and no hitting. If so it will become unwatchable like hockey..

WmHBonney

Reaction score
So, what happens to a RB that lowers his head as he is going through the hole? This is going to be tough.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
WmHBonney":30qfu4a0 said:
So, what happens to a RB that lowers his head as he is going through the hole? This is going to be tough.
That is leading with helmet..15 yards and a warning

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
jeremiah":3nh6eigh said:
I don't get this at all. Some guy makes a movie, invents a syndrome and it is just now accepted as fact? Boxers take much more punishment with sparring and some going 30 years, and most are fine. Some of course are messed up, but that is related to the big blows like Heavyweights. You could actually watch the Frazier-Ali fights and see that the fight should have been stopped. It was great entertainment, but there were several concussions involved in 1 hour. Football? This is just an over-hyped move to extort large sums of money from the game in most cases.

Get help

naholmes

Reaction score
IndyHawk":12f76rey said:
WmHBonney":12f76rey said:
We will have to see but I doubt that’s a penalty except in extreme cases.

mikeak

Reaction score
naholmes":251ndrvp said:
IndyHawk":251ndrvp said:
WmHBonney":251ndrvp said:

Yes otherwise RB will become even more devalued as running straight up will reduce yardage

IndyHawk

Reaction score
mikeak":108wva43 said:
naholmes":108wva43 said:
IndyHawk":108wva43 said:
WmHBonney":108wva43 said:

Yes otherwise RB will become even more devalued as running straight up will reduce yardage
That is exactly what it will lead to with no doubt..
It will be a passing game attack with a bunch of short passes to hybrid rb's
in place of handing it off as much to avoid reduced yardage and 15 yrd flags.
To be fair though you see Zeke do it all the time and Beast as well..
(leading with head)you can't have a rule for one side only..
I would just have anyone who wants to play sign a waiver because
the game is how it is.You cannot make all these rules and expect
that people are going to enjoy flag fests and delibrate slow action
just to avoid flags.All you can do is enforce the head hunting and
the dives with head that some do.
Otherwise lets go to shorts with no helmet/pads and use flags..
Some of you sound ready for that.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Sounds a lot like the West Coast Offensive league with a smattering of WWE slapped in. Hmmm....ya waht a league.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
The owners and players need to write health care for life and start to use the new info about exercise and diet programs that bring people back from CTE issues into the next CBA along with signing a disclaimer before entering the nfl
It would distance the owners from it and provide insurance for the players and give them the best chance for recovery after the game
In grade school another kid and I were the hardest hitters and they put us head to head quite often to see who would flinch and neither of us ever did and it was fun but I imagine that it has impaired my writing skills some but whateva
I know these guys are playing a game they love and want to make money doing it so of course they would do it so just let em play
How boxing has avoided some lawsuits like these just baffles me but maybe that's the cte talking ??? :sarcasm_off: :sarcasm_off: :sarcasm_off: :sarcasm_off: :sarcasm_off: :sarcasm_off: :sarcasm_off:

jeremiah

Reaction score
The players are being paid extremely well, and the concussion thing is way overblown. Next there will be no head shots in MMA, or boxing too. They are not saving the league, they are destroying it. Let those who are willing to play and love the game take the chance of damage, it is there in all sports. To take it away or try to, is just destruction. I guess that is what the lawyers, and most of the sports media want. It is like putting women into combat roles, most officials in military will tell you they are awesome, but it is all BS and we know it.

I guess you younger fans can go along with these changes to a once beautiful and near perfect game, but it is definitely inferior to the 60's up to the 1980's NFL.