Rams give Cooks crazy money

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Cooks’ “crazy contract” only comes with 20 million in guarantees — I’m guessing they can get out of it in 2020 if they want to.

That matters because the major bills on new contracts for Goff and Gurley don’t come due until 2020 also.

The Rams are (very smartly) going all in on the last two years of their QB’s rookie deal.

After the Watkins trade and now the Cooks trade and extension we also know that McVay sees an outside field stretcher as a major piece in his offense. I don’t love Cooks, but if you really want that piece would you rather give Cooks 20 million guaranteed or Watkins 30 million guaranteed (as the Chiefs did)? You could even flip those numbers and I’d still prefer Cooks.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Marvin49":2k8pvjit said:
I just dunno with the Rams.

I mean, on paper they are damn scary and its not like they were bad last year and added a bunch of guys. They were GOOD last year and added a bunch of guys.

The only thing that gives me pause tho is that the guys they got were all viewed as expendable by their original teams...and in some cases more than once.

Now maybe they all behave and the Rams are lights out. Dunno. After all, the same can be said of Richard Sherman in SF this year.

I really don't know what to make of it all. Should be an interesting season.

I think you need context when you say they were viewed as "expendable" - both the Broncos and Dolphins know they aren't contending any time soon - I would guess that trading Talib and releasing Suh - who were both every good last year - was more about those teams moving forward with a rebuild and giving those guys opportunities to play for a better team.

Cooks got them a first round pick, so not really in the expendable category.

Peters is the big one though - in fact, the other three are wrongly being put into the same category as Peters IMO. Suh has some dirty plays on the field, and Talib with Crabtree - but combined those three haven't been the headache that Peters has.

And what's important to point out is that the Rams defense was actually pretty good last year with bad scheme fits. Talib is a big upgrade over Trumaine Johnson, especially in this scheme.

However your last line, I do agree with. I don't believe a top team has ever added the type of talent the Rams added this season. The comparisons to the Eagles "dream team" are poor IMO.

Chapow

Reaction score
If the Rams aren't very, very good this season then something (or several things) went horribly wrong. They were very good last season and added quite a few more very good players. They are pretty damn stacked. I think it's far more likely that they are going to be very good than that they aren't going to be very good.

BUT... high expectations come with a lot of pressure to meet those expectations and the best team doesn't always win. It will be very interesting to see what happens if/when they hit a few bumps in the road.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Gurley will almost definitely regress, and there’s a chance that despite the nice individual pieces the secondary doesn’t come together. They’re also weak at linebacker.

If they’re as good as they were last year this will have been worth it, IMO (once you get to the playoffs it’s pretty flukey, IMO).

Rat

Reaction score
RedAlice":2wkyledc said:
sdog1981":2wkyledc said:
For a second I was worried about the Rams.

They added nothing but cancerous powder kegs to the roster this past offseason. This could be the spark that blows the whole locker room up. We are about to see if boy genius can keep the team together, his age will be a liability when trying to talk to players like Shu.

You have got to be kidding me!!!!!!!

This is like the dumbest comment I have seen on the Rams yet. Well, let's play the games.

Used to be good conversation here.

No doubt that sdog is probably WAY overstating it, but even as a Rams fan, you have to acknowledge that bringing on Talib and Peters comes with some degree of risk. It's also curious that Cooks has jumped around so much in so little time.

Fantastic players though if they stay within the system and team dynamic. I've always been the type to take that kind of risk and would have been thrilled if the Seahawks had made those same moves.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":280rwwo8 said:
Cooks has always been pretty damn good.

He was great at Oregon State.

He wasn't just good because of Drew or Tom.

Cooks will continue to be very good on the Rams.

He will be good...but not 16 mil a year avg good. No way in hell I would pay that for pretty much ANY WR, unless he was a total freak like Moss in his prime

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Ramfan128":3pc3upkl said:
SoulfishHawk":3pc3upkl said:
It's just my own opinion, but people acting like they are going to the Super Bowl already is way too premature.
I'll believe it's gonna' work out when I see it. And the still have to stay healthy. Putting together a so called "super team" doesn't automatically equal a title. They clearly are being crowned. Just not by me.

I mean, there were times during the season where the Rams had better advanced metrics than the 1999 team. And while many have talked about having to play a "first place" schedule, we randomly drew the Saints and Vikings last year on top of playing the Eagles and Cowboys (with Zeke).

And while you can say this kind of thing every year, it's worth noting that if the Rams had beaten the Eagles last year and then played the starters and beaten the Niners in week 17, that's a 13-3 team with a first round bye. Doubt the Eagles win the super bowl.

That's only relevant to why I don't think the Rams are being overrated at all - they were actually a better team than the 11-5 record last year and then laid an egg against the Falcons - that's a concern - but then the team went out and got much, much better.

You have to have watched the Rams games to truly get a grasp for just how much better the Rams got - Ogletree was one of the worst rated MLBs against the run last year - Littleton, the man that will take his place, will be an upgrade for what he will be asked to do. Quinn had a good 5 game stretch, but mostly collected sacks last year because of Donald's pressure up the middle.

On the flip side, Suh at NT is a massive upgrade - we were playing Ethan Westbrooks and Tanziel Smart there last year..

Trumaine Johnson was overrated as well - Kayvon Webster was solid but not spectacular. Talib and Peters are MASSIVE upgrades over those guys - especially for what the CBs are asked to do in this system.

And then you have Cooks over Watkins - Watkins missed all of TC last year, Cooks has been here since day 1. That's a huge deal.

The Rams were one of the best teams in the NFL last year with average QB play - from a young QB with potential and a lot of room to get better. We had some injury luck on the OL, but that's why we spent several draft picks to bolster the OL depth.

The only thing stopping me from being flat out confident that the Rams will win the superbowl are that for all our upgrades, the Eagles are adding the best young QB in the NFL to a team that won the superbowl, and the Vikings added Richardson and Cousins. These three teams are stacked on a level that I haven't seen in one conference.

I also believe it's unprecedented for a team to have added players the caliber of Suh, Cooks, Peters and Talib in one offseason. People keep talking about the dream team Eagles but I think maybe one of their FA signings would be on this level.

Vikings ALSO basically added Cook too who was leading the league in rushing when he got hurt (on pace for around 1400+ yards), and added Kendall Wright at WR3 behind Diggs and Thielen who is a super solid WR to have at your WR3 slot. I dont see another team better than the Vikings or Eagles at the top of the NFC right now but the Rams werent far behind and may pull even with them

adeltaY

Reaction score
I don't think the Vikings are going to have a better record than last year, in fact, I think they will do worse. Though they improved at QB and RB should Cook return to full health, their OL depth is pretty meh, and a healthy Rodgers is back, so that division is gonna be a battle to win. They also had incredible injury luck with respect to their defensive starters last season. We saw what happened in 2016 when they lost guys to injury - it wasn't pretty. Shoot, even their starters got boat raced in the NFC championship game. The team is stacked, no doubt, but I don't think they're clearly better than the Rams.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly. Just because you throw a bunch of stars together, it doesn't mean you're guaranteed a great team.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Cooks was a " me first" distraction in New Orleans and I predict that he won't last all that long as a Ram.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1otfjalk said:
^^^ Gurley will almost definitely regress, and there’s a chance that despite the nice individual pieces the secondary doesn’t come together. They’re also weak at linebacker.

If they’re as good as they were last year this will have been worth it, IMO (once you get to the playoffs it’s pretty flukey, IMO).

I agree on Gurley, at least from a numbers perspective. RBs rarely have back to back years like what he did last year.

But I don't agree on the secondary. Talib played for Philips for years, and Robey-Coleman, Joyner and Johnson were all here last year and were all very, very good. That really makes Peters as the only newcomer, and Wade is known for tweaking his defenses to maximize the skillset of his players.

As for the LBs, that is the one area of weakness - but what people have to realize is we were one of the worse run defenses last year, and it was mostly because of our NT and Alec Ogletree. Suh over Ethan Westbrooks is a massive upgrade and will have a positive influence on the LBs; getting rid of Ogletree (who rated 2nd to last in run defense among MLBs last year) is addition by subtraction.

Edge rush from the LB spot is something of a concern - we drafted Ebukam last year with an eye on him taking over, and the goal is for him to start. We also threw four draft picks at the LB spots, so I think we will be fine there.

And I'm excited about Cory Littleton starting along with Mark Barron, who was very good last year. Littleton just makes plays.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Why does the media consistently list Ogletree as a top ILB? I know he was great at chasing Russ down, but otherwise he isn't a very good LB.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Rams in a Superbowl? I'll believe it when I see it. Every year I hear about how the Niners or Cards were going to be so special. And then the games get played. No difference here. Wake me up when they win a playoff game.

chris98251

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":q41hkc14 said:
Wouldn't surprise me if this was Dream Team 2.0.

Dream Team was an Olympic Basketball team, they tried calling the Eagles that a few years ago and shut up after they lost early in the season.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
chris98251":29thqkc3 said:
RolandDeschain":29thqkc3 said:
Wouldn't surprise me if this was Dream Team 2.0.

Dream Team was an Olympic Basketball team, they tried calling the Eagles that a few years ago and shut up after they lost early in the season.
Read for context, Chris. This is the NFL Nation forum. 8)

Marvin49

Reaction score
Ramfan128":3cumjzit said:
Marvin49":3cumjzit said:

I mean, on paper they are damn scary and its not like they were bad last year and added a bunch of guys. They were GOOD last year and added a bunch of guys.

The only thing that gives me pause tho is that the guys they got were all viewed as expendable by their original teams...and in some cases more than once.

Now maybe they all behave and the Rams are lights out. Dunno. After all, the same can be said of Richard Sherman in SF this year.

I think you need context when you say they were viewed as "expendable" - both the Broncos and Dolphins know they aren't contending any time soon - I would guess that trading Talib and releasing Suh - who were both every good last year - was more about those teams moving forward with a rebuild and giving those guys opportunities to play for a better team.

Peters is the big one though - in fact, the other three are wrongly being put into the same category as Peters IMO. Suh has some dirty plays on the field, and Talib with Crabtree - but combined those three haven't been the headache that Peters has.

And what's important to point out is that the Rams defense was actually pretty good last year with bad scheme fits. Talib is a big upgrade over Trumaine Johnson, especially in this scheme.

However your last line, I do agree with. I don't believe a top team has ever added the type of talent the Rams added this season. The comparisons to the Eagles "dream team" are poor IMO.

Yeah...I don't buy that logic on Talib and Suh. There is no question they are good players and I'm not suggesting otherwise....but the Broncos let Talib go for a reason. The Dolphins let Suh go for a reason. Its not because they are bad teams.

This isn't just on the Rams either because the Seahawks let Sherman go for a reason. I'm not pinning this just on the Rams...just sayin I don't know what to make of it all.

Cooks? Yeah...that one is just suspect to me. Its not that I don't think he's good. Its that TWO teams have now traded him away. That's odd.

Don't even get me started on Peters, but the TALENT is undeniable.

I'm not saying it won't work out. Maybe McVay and Phillips are exactly what those guys need...but I just dunno. On paper it looks like the should be the SB favorite, but it don't always work out that way.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Marvin49":hzsazuu6 said:
Ramfan128":hzsazuu6 said:
Marvin49":hzsazuu6 said:

Yeah...I don't buy that logic on Talib and Suh. There is no question they are good players and I'm not suggesting otherwise....but the Broncos let Talib go for a reason. The Dolphins let Suh go for a reason. Its not because they are bad teams.

This isn't just on the Rams either because the Seahawks let Sherman go for a reason. I'm not pinning this just on the Rams...just sayin I don't know what to make of it all.

Cooks? Yeah...that one is just suspect to me. Its not that I don't think he's good. Its that TWO teams have now traded him away. That's odd.

Don't even get me started on Peters, but the TALENT is undeniable.

I'm not saying it won't work out. Maybe McVay and Phillips are exactly what those guys need...but I just dunno. On paper it looks like the should be the SB favorite, but it don't always work out that way.

Saying it doesn't always work out that way - I know what you mean. The issue with that is, I don't think a team that was already one of the best in the NFL has ever added that many all pro caliber players in one offseason. So I don't think we've ever seen anything quite like this.