Agents Really Are Snakes

chris98251

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3ieipgsp said:
adeltaY":3ieipgsp said:
Or at the risk of being paralyzed like Shazier?
I find the risk-to-body argument to be specious. As Brim pointed out, members of the armed forces risk death and dismemberment for peanuts as far as salary is concerned, and significantly worse benefits. You don't see them trying to blackmail Uncle Sam for more money, lol.

Football players know the risks many years before they enter the NFL, especially nowadays.

The "we put our bodies on the line" argument from any professional athlete is ridiculous, IMO.

Everyone that has a job puts their body on the line, whether it's a programmer, eyes wrists carpel tunnel syndrome, back or the guy that is building a skyscraper for numorous reasons. You know when you get into the profession that long term it can have different effects, you do your best to minimalize them but everyone pays a proce for what they do for a living.

We just as average joes don't get contracts or paid 100,000's or millions for doing it for 3 to 5 years at a crack.

adeltaY

Reaction score
What does the fact that soliders are underpaid have to do with NFL players trying to maximizer their earnings? Not saying the military and the other mentioned professions aren't underpaid - I'd say they are but that's a societal issue and has nothing to do with the NFL, which is an entertainment business.

I'm not some sort of apologist for rich people but it's clear to me the owners earn way more than the players at much less risk so why be mad at the players? If they shared more revenue with the players I'm sure the issue wouldn't be as bad. It seems like they're held to a higher standard by fans and I'm not sure why.

chris98251

Reaction score
adeltaY":1ffml8vv said:
What does the fact that soliders are underpaid have to do with NFL players trying to maximizer their earnings? Not saying the military and the other mentioned professions aren't underpaid - I'd say they are but that's a societal issue and has nothing to do with the NFL, which is an entertainment business.

I'm not some sort of apologist for rich people but it's clear to me the owners earn way more than the players at much less risk so why be mad at the players? If they shared more revenue with the players I'm sure the issue wouldn't be as bad. It seems like they're held to a higher standard by fans and I'm not sure why.

Most owners made there money somewhere else, they chose to purchase the team. They encure the costs, the expense when players get hurt and honor the contracts. The players chose this as their career knowing there was a business side as well, the Agents bring the clarity of that business side to them and if good and honest try to maximise the return on the talent and make a buck of the player trusting them to get them the best deal.

mikeak

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":8eb3lwhh said:
adeltaY":8eb3lwhh said:
Or at the risk of being paralyzed like Shazier?
I find the risk-to-body argument to be specious. As Brim pointed out, members of the armed forces risk death and dismemberment for peanuts as far as salary is concerned, and significantly worse benefits. You don't see them trying to blackmail Uncle Sam for more money, lol.

Football players know the risks many years before they enter the NFL, especially nowadays.

The "we put our bodies on the line" argument from any professional athlete is ridiculous, IMO.

Unless they violate some rules the military honors their contract. This is not a comparison between salaries it is between how contracts are looked at. You’re example couldn’t be more flawed.

NFL teams don’t honor contracts, it is common practice to get an extension with one year left. Exercising ones RIGHTS to sitting out ie strike is fully in accordance with the CBA rules that governs the contract. If the player comes back with x weeks left he gets to count the year otherwise not. Sitting out is a part of the process as much as teams cutting players.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
mikeak":2guw45yc said:
Unless they violate some rules the military honors their contract. This is not a comparison between salaries it is between how contracts are looked at. You’re example couldn’t be more flawed.

NFL teams don’t honor contracts, it is common practice to get an extension with one year left. Exercising ones RIGHTS to sitting out ie strike is fully in accordance with the CBA rules that governs the contract. If the player comes back with x weeks left he gets to count the year otherwise not. Sitting out is a part of the process as much as teams cutting players.
Actually, they honor contracts to the extent that they are legally allowed to, which is what the vast majority of businesses in general follow as a rule.

Also, striking too much has serious long-term repercussions...see Boeing as the most recent major example in the Seattle area.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
NFL contracts are interesting, the guaranteed money is the real contract, the only part that gives the player any power/leverage.

Once that is paid out.... the player is completely at the whim of the team. The team can cut player at any time, but the player is stuck and without choices.

But the players know this, the agents know this. The % of the contracts that are becoming guaranteed are growing more and more.

themunn

Reaction score
hawknation2018":6ti3vub5 said:
Teams are required to pay agreed upon guarantees, including injury guarantees. For example, Kam Chancellor says he is “retired” but will still be paid tens of millions of dollars from the salary cap over the next two seasons.

Most people are at-will employees who can be fired for any lawful reason. Most people will make significantly less in their lifetimes than the top players make for a single game.

I’m in favor of protecting the players. But you have to have some reasonable perspective.

Personally believe that if there are guarantees (excluding injury guarantees) remaining, then the player should be held to rights to fulfil his contract.
If there are no guarantees remaining then players should be allowed to return any signing bonus relating to remaining years (e.g. a player signed a 5 year contract with $20m signing bonus, which is pro-rated across the 5 years - and first 3 years are guaranteed. If the player wants to quit after 3 years he is welcome to do so - as long as he returns $8m).

If players can be cut with no consequence, then they should be allowed to quit with no consequence. I sure as hell would quit my job if I felt I wasn't being paid enough, imagine I tried to and my boss said "no actually you have to turn up for the next 2 years, or we choose which employer you go to instead and we get compensated for it. You still have no choice in the matter oh and by the way they are going to pay you the same amount you're getting now.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
themunn":31wmxmt3 said:
If players can be cut with no consequence, then they should be allowed to quit with no consequence. I sure as hell would quit my job if I felt I wasn't being paid enough, imagine I tried to and my boss said "no actually you have to turn up for the next 2 years, or we choose which employer you go to instead and we get compensated for it. You still have no choice in the matter oh and by the way they are going to pay you the same amount you're getting now.

I guess I'd ask why you signed a contract that gave your rights away for four (or more) years, when you already had the knowledge that pay is going up on a yearly basis and you'll no longer be the highest paid at your position by year three or four, instead of signing a contract that let you renegotiate your contract in two years.

He's still in the top three or five for safety salaries, so it's not like he's being disrespected and undervalued when compared to his peers.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Players know what's in a contract, unless they're fools. The guaranteed portion is the only thing they're going to see.

They make plenty of money, but when they claim they aren't being paid fairly, that's BS. In order for one player to make more money, another player or players has to take less. There's only so much pie.

Why is there only so much pie? Because of players like JaMarcus Russell who got paid a huge chunk of Oakland's salary cap, limiting what was available for the other players for YEARS! The other 52 players got screwed because JaMarcus didn't live up to his side of the contract.

And if you're going to quote the amount of money a team makes, you have to show how much their overhead is too. Air travel, hotels, food, MEDICAL costs, doctors on payroll, coaches, uniforms, food and drinks, office space for their dozens of employees, liability, Scouts traveling to all of the colleges. That money disappears fast.

I don't feel sorry for either side. They're both getting rich. More money than any of us will ever see in our lifetime. Do you think Marshawn Lynch gives a shit about you or your family? "Marshawn has 50 million in the bank." (Michael Robinson).

chris98251

Reaction score
ivotuk":3i1dv9oq said:
Players know what's in a contract, unless they're fools. The guaranteed portion is the only thing they're going to see.

They make plenty of money, but when they claim they aren't being paid fairly, that's BS. In order for one player to make more money, another player or players has to take less. There's only so much pie.

Why is there only so much pie? Because of players like JaMarcus Russell who got paid a huge chunk of Oakland's salary cap, limiting what was available for the other players for YEARS! The other 52 players got screwed because JaMarcus didn't live up to his side of the contract.

And if you're going to quote the amount of money a team makes, you have to show how much their overhead is too. Air travel, hotels, food, MEDICAL costs, doctors on payroll, coaches, uniforms, food and drinks, office space for their dozens of employees, liability, Scouts traveling to all of the colleges. That money disappears fast.

I don't feel sorry for either side. They're both getting rich. More money than any of us will ever see in our lifetime. Do you think Marshawn Lynch gives a shit about you or your family? "Marshawn has 50 million in the bank." (Michael Robinson).

Lynch also stated that he never spent any of his NFL money, which means he has lived off the investment of it and his endorsements.

Latest posts