New roughing the passer rule worse than helmet rule?

chris98251

Reaction score
That's where the NFL and Officials miss it, they want letter of the rule and have a problem with intent of the rule.

PackerNation

Reaction score
Uncle Si":37bqovv5 said:
PackerNation":37bqovv5 said:
Uncle Si":37bqovv5 said:
PackerNation":37bqovv5 said:
No, you don't get it. Your childish insults and hammering of the Packers because you don't like them is blinding you to the fact that this can be a very big problem in the NFL when it comes to these types of calls. It may have cost Green Bay a critical divisional game against the Vikings but it could very well be another team next week. Or a critical call in the playoffs that sends a team home for such a foolishly called penalty.

It's wrecking football. There is little to no chance that Clay Matthews can ease up after he blows through the lineman to make a hit on the QB and not keep from landing on him. It's a lousy rule and while QB's should be afforded some protection, they cannot be expected to ever take some hits.

If you knew anything about football, you would also know that they are throwing flags on players exactly how they are taught to tackle and wrap up ball carriers.

Referee Craig Wrolstad on Matthews penalty in pool report: "So, that's not a new rule. I had judged that the defender landed on the quarterback when he was tackling him, with most or all of his body weight, and that's not allowed. If you do that, it's roughing the passer."

Clay Matthews doesn't know how to tackle. If he knew anything about tackling he wouldn't have got the flag. You clearly don't understand the rule as well.

Also, why would a change in tackling to protect the NFL's best asset be "ruining" the game. As it is, the age range of those that watch the game is getting younger. They are not old men with antiquated beliefs about sport. Younger fans want their stars on the field, not crippled, concussed or worse.

So... the fantasy football crowd will care less in the long run about tackling rules if their favorite players aren't being carted off the field.

It's unnerving people can't see that. The inherent dangers of playing football are difficult enough. Making changes to the game to try and mitigate these issues is the only way this game survives.

It's understandable you can't grasp that. Packers fans still want it to be the 1960s

I read it and disagree with it as do many many others. It's subjective and never should have been called. Rules like this will ruin the NFL. I get trying to protect the QB but the hit Clay laid on the QB in both the Minnesota game and against the Redskins was legal. It should not have been flagged.

I expected the NFL to stand behind the refs calls, they have no choice. But these "subjective" calls have to be eliminated. It turns games on their heels. The NFL has told these guys to not land on the QB, must roll off. That's precisely what Clay Matthews did. When a player does exactly as instructed and gets a flag anyway, something is terribly wrong.

BTW, this isn't the smack shack, so you want to tell the crayon eating little Seahawk minions to keep the insults in the shack? You want good discussion, how can you expect to have such things with some of the comments here?

There was no insult. Just a clearly defined statement. You do not understand the rules. You do not understand the NFL sack rules or the rules here on .Net. If you wish to lodge a concern then report a post. Do not discuss moderation.

Much like Clay, a failure to adjust will cost you a spot on the team.

You can disagree. Some do. That guy did not. He's a professional. I saw it and agreed with the call as well. Clay landed directly on top of him, all of his body weight, and then tried to roll off. That's not the rule.

It is subjective. It is confusing. And it's certainly going to take players time to adjust. But it will not ruin the game. In the last 10 years the league has been dominated by off field violence, horrible on field injuries, movies and widespread coverage of the damage the sport does to its players, suicides and crippled vets stating they wish they never played the game and need constant medical attention. I think the precious game you remember needs to change or it will fade away.

The crayon-eating minions is not a fresh take for you. I would hope for better than simple repetition.

He specifically adjusted on that sack to make sure he was compliant. Given the space and time of the hit and gravity, he had no choice but to land on the QB and even rolled off of the QB as the rules require, yet was flagged. Not only is the rule stupid and against the spirit of the game, it's subjective and therefore makes it almost impossible to actually fairly call the penalty or to leave it as a sack.

Go back to the post I made with the refs comments about the sack on the Vikings QB. Are you telling that the ref actually saw Clay lift him up and slam him into the turf? Mind you, these refs are supposed to be professionals and are supposed to be able to determine these better than the average viewer. There is no way that was a penalty.

Defenders have to be allowed to sack the QB without an entire bevy of rules heaped on the defender. It's a violent sport.

How is this not a penalty:

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1043942616172179456

He picks up Rodgers, throws him and lands on top of him.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
He didnt put the full force of his body on the qb. I mean thats what im seeing. And im sure they will miss some.

Its a tough rule but its clear where the NFL is headed. They dont want injured QBs. Considering what happened to.yours ladt year and how it ruined your season im surprised you dont agree.

PackerNation

Reaction score
Uncle Si":zhw72b5n said:
He didnt put the full force of his body on the qb. I mean thats what im seeing. And im sure they will miss some.

Its a tough rule but its clear where the NFL is headed. They dont want injured QBs. Considering what happened to.yours ladt year and how it ruined your season im surprised you dont agree.

Go look at it again. He spun Rodgers around and then landed with his full weight on Rodgers. This should have been a penalty. Subjective? Of course. The NFL needs less subjective rules and more concrete calls.

Maulbert

Reaction score
PackerNation":wzq1k3wa said:
Uncle Si":wzq1k3wa said:

Go look at it again. He spun Rodgers around and then landed with his full weight on Rodgers. This should have been a penalty. Subjective? Of course. The NFL needs less subjective rules and more concrete calls.

Swung him down, yes. Land on him, bull.

chris98251

Reaction score
Competition committee now stepping in wanting the over use stopped.

Biscanebay12

Reaction score
New rules turning the NFL into the NFFL, National Flag Football League. These guys are highly paid and know what they are getting into. Like Terry Bradshaw said, he didn't have all these rules protecting him and he still managed.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Heard the same warmed-over arguments about new rules to cut down on injuries in the NHL. The players have adjusted. Those that haven't no longer get playing time.
The game is now super fast and showcasing awesome, creative playmaking.

The NFL will benefit in the same way long term.