bmorepunk

Reaction score
Ramfan128":262fv3ry said:
You guys are too much. Fun fact:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=401030865

http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=401030972

http://www.espn.com/nfl/matchup?gameId=401030865

http://www.espn.com/nfl/matchup?gameId=401030972

Compare the Rams last two games - against the Seahawks and then against the Chiefs.

Rams Chiefs had more punts forced and more turnovers. Looks to me like there was actually more defense played in LA last night than there was in LA 9 days ago. Were you guys complaining about offenses that game too?

I'm not really complaining about this particular game, but the Seahawks gave up 450 yards (similar to Chiefs) of offense against the Rams and 36 points, and yes, that was super annoying.

If we added another TD in and two TDs from the Rams defense I'd really be extra annoyed.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Polaris":1t8gkpw9 said:
Has Todd Gurley been found yet? Some talk about the stats, but the big difference between yesterday's game and the Ram's game against the Seahawks (both) is that the opposing team actually RAN THE BALL and that makes a huge difference (and it forced the Rams to run it too quite well).

Honestly I am shocked there wasn't more groundpounding.

Finally came out that he was dinged up. He got dragged down from behind early in the game and I thought he might be injured. I would have ran Malcolm Brown more but McVay doesn't seem to want to do that.

I'm super annoyed that the media is talking up the Chiefs so much for hanging in this game with the turnovers and penalties, but didn't really give the Rams the same nod against the Saints a few weeks ago. Anyways, this is my perspective:

Watching last night, I think the Chiefs are a little better than the Rams.

Watching the Rams-Saints, I thought the Rams are a little better than the Saints.

Chiefs were missing Berry, Rams missing Talib - but Gurley played through an injury that changed the Rams approach. Early in the game, Malcolm Brown was in for an entire series - that is very unusual in the first quarter. I thought that, coupled with the bad looking tackle on Gurley meant he was injured. Then he seemed a little slower when he came back in. IMO Gurley not being 100% would be like Hill not being 100% - and without Hill, we probably blow that team out. So I think the turnovers and Berry being out are offset by Talib out and Gurley being phased out of the game plan - but at the end of the day, the Chiefs offense is the best I've ever seen. Ever. I didn't think we had a shot, so I was pleasantly surprised. Have to hope Talib coming back fixes this defense.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
bmorepunk":12emlt7t said:
Ramfan128":12emlt7t said:
You guys are too much. Fun fact:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=401030865

http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=401030972

http://www.espn.com/nfl/matchup?gameId=401030865

http://www.espn.com/nfl/matchup?gameId=401030972

Compare the Rams last two games - against the Seahawks and then against the Chiefs.

Rams Chiefs had more punts forced and more turnovers. Looks to me like there was actually more defense played in LA last night than there was in LA 9 days ago. Were you guys complaining about offenses that game too?

I'm not really complaining about this particular game, but the Seahawks gave up 450 yards (similar to Chiefs) of offense against the Rams and 36 points, and yes, that was super annoying.

If we added another TD in and two TDs from the Rams defense I'd really be extra annoyed.

It's just the pace of the game. It reminds me of the NBA - for a few years there the Warriors had a top defense but were giving up a lot of points "per game", because they play so fast.

The Rams and Chiefs are the two fastest moving offenses in the NFL - what's funny is if you head over pro football reference, it says the Rams and Chiefs both score on more than 50% of their drives - well combined with the FGs and offensive TDs versus the number of drives, we only scored on 50% of those possessions.

So both offenses actually did below average - in terms of % of drives ending with a score.

People all over the media and world have no idea what they saw last night because we've never seen anything like it. As I pointed out, the Rams/Seahawks last week, the Rams/Saints from a few weeks ago, the Eagles/Patriots super bowl last year, and countless other games in NFL history - all featured less defense than what we saw Monday night. People are too focused on the score.

Jac

Reaction score
Ramfan128":94hp50ho said:
It's just the pace of the game. It reminds me of the NBA - for a few years there the Warriors had a top defense but were giving up a lot of points "per game", because they play so fast.

Are you saying that the Rams would have a top defense but for the fast pace they play on offense? I think that point of view strains credibility even for a "glass is half full" fan. In the last three games, they gave up 35 first half points against the Saints, 270 rushing yards against the Seahawks, and six touchdown passes against the Chiefs.

I mean there's been a ton of teams that "play fast" with turnover-prone 3-and-out offenses that don't do that. Look at Buffalo that has the #2 rated defense. The Rams are #28 against the pass and #29 against the run. We read on the board here in the offseason that the "Dream Team" was a bad comparison. Overall record and offense, that's true. But the defense has been one of the biggest disappointments I've recalled following this league. It was supposed to be impossible to run on the Rams with the Donald/Suh interior for example. It was supposed to be impossible to pass on the Rams with the Peters/Talib pairing (they still have Peters). Fortunately for the Rams, they were in position to draft and made the selection of Donald, who continues to disrupt and make enough splash plays to help provide just enough resistance for the win.

mrt144

Reaction score
Jac":wwniocif said:
Ramfan128":wwniocif said:

Are you saying that the Rams would have a top defense but for the fast pace they play on offense? I think that point of view strains credibility even for a "glass is half full" fan. In the last three games, they gave up 35 first half points against the Saints, 270 rushing yards against the Seahawks, and six touchdown passes against the Chiefs.

I mean there's been a ton of teams that "play fast" with turnover-prone 3-and-out offenses that don't do that. Look at Buffalo that has the #2 rated defense. The Rams are #28 against the pass and #29 against the run. We read on the board here in the offseason that the "Dream Team" was a bad comparison. Overall record and offense, that's true. But the defense has been one of the biggest disappointments I've recalled following this league. It was supposed to be impossible to run on the Rams with the Donald/Suh interior for example. It was supposed to be impossible to pass on the Rams with the Peters/Talib pairing (they still have Peters). Fortunately for the Rams, they were in position to draft and made the selection of Donald, who continues to disrupt and make enough splash plays to help provide just enough resistance for the win.

I think the pace explains the high scoring nature for the offense at least where they are getting a lot of drives and capitalizing on most of them.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Loved it. Especially having the over, and with live odds the over kept changing and you could keep hitting over and over - a lot of fun.

Jags-Bills this Sunday for those who are more into that though.

knownone

Reaction score
I like the discussion about pace and how it lends itself to scoring. What I don't think people are not touching on very much (at least from what I've seen) is how poorly both coaches managed the game. You can't simply ignore the clock and play at a high pace the whole game and expect to win. Seriously, the Rams should have won that game after the first Mahomes interception and somehow they gave the ball back to the Chiefs and the Chiefs still had 1 timeout only needing a frickin' FG. Both teams could have easily closed the game out by simply eating some clock instead of going for chunk plays and 1-minute drives but they didn't.

Look this is the story of Andy Reid's career. He's a great, innovative offensive mind but he can't manage a game to save his life. I'd be worried if I was a Chiefs fan because as great as their team is, I wouldn't trust Andy to win more than 2 games in the playoffs. I'd be less concerned as a Rams fan because I think McVay is young enough to look at his game management skills objectively and course correct going forward whereas Andy Reid sort of is who he is at this point.

People who dislike Pete Carroll's formula for winning games should take note of this game. If the Seahawks were in the same situation as the either of those teams Pete would have chewed the clock. He would force the opponent to be mindful of their play calling. He's not going to let you have 3 opportunities to tie/win the game with under 5 minutes remaining. I'm not saying it's a better formula but it should be crystal clear why Pete prefers that style of play, limited opportunities decrease the offenses probability of success.

Fade

Reaction score
The casual fan who knows little about the game are loving it. I am becoming less interested because the very nature of what made football exciting was that every down was a struggle and had massive implications. Now we have every qb throwing 400 yards and 4 TDs a game. This isn’t football.

it makes offensive ‘superstars’ out of players that wouldn’t be if the defense wasn’t purposely gimped.

To take it to the extreme. Imagine if every runner who touched the ball scored a TD. It would get pretty boring don't you think?

These same kind of rule changes that happened in the NBA back in the mid 00's. Killed that sport for me as well. I haven't watched an NBA game in years. Don't care, it is too easy to score now, you can't touch the offensive player free throw line extended. You better average 20 points a game scrub, they can't touch you.

They've taken it too far, but oh well the casuals out number us so we're screwed.

Pete talked about some of the rule changes in his Tues/Wed (can't remember which one) presser being a big reason why.

I used to watch every NFL Game. Now I just watch the Seahawks, and a select few during the week, if that.

ivotuk

Reaction score
It was kind of fun, but have similar thoughts on the subject as Fade.

Football's popularity comes from the chess match of Offense vs Defense. The Defensive Coordinator, Linebackers Coach, DLine Coach, Defensive Backs Coach, studying film of the opposing offense and coming up with a game plan, while trying to call it perfectly.

There is so much preparation, thought, and gamesmanship that goes in to it, that fans can keep themselves entertained during the week while reviewing individual plays, watching "Chalk Talk," checking all of the stats, this week's stats vs the teams stats so far in the season. Where does their offense and defense rank?

What about NFL rankings? HUGE popularity.

The NFL Draft? Studying tape, players, what was his 40 time? Vertical? How did he progress from Freshman to Junior?

It's all the intrigue and numbers that keep it interesting, and fun. If this were not true, there would be no Fantasy Football. It exists based on numbers.

So while an occassional 50 burger can be fun to watch, especially if it's your team putting it on someone, they aren't sustainable for every game.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well just look how fast Arena football faded as something to talk about, that's what you will have happen if this was the Norm.

People enjoy scoring, but the enjoy it when they know it's earned and that you have had to work for it against a defense that is formidable enough to turn the tide of a game as well.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":3bx47f07 said:
This thread is comedy gold. I did not watch the game. I just now read thru the whole thread. Page one is where I knew it would be better to watch a movie than the game. Page two confirmed it and page three is the epilogue. I thank everyone here that posted their opinion of the game as it appeared in their eyes. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Offense wins games, Defense wins Championships.
There was no opinion regarding the obvious short stick the Chiefs drew in the first half regarding penalties. The refs who did this game are going to get poor marks. Will it affect them when it's time to choose a Super Bowl crew? I don't know. But they were completely one-sided in the first half, not calling things on the Rams they called on Kansas City, and calling things on KC they didn't call on the Rams.

I don't know what happened after half time. Maybe they got the memo that the world was watching, or maybe it was all chance.

But that doesn't change the fact that the officiating was not even in the first half.

RedAlice

Reaction score
So, Seahawks scoring 58, 50, 42 - good NFL football !!!

Any other team doing so - NFL sucks!

You guys are such hypocrites.

RedAlice

Reaction score
chris98251":3or1495r said:
Well just look how fast Arena football faded as something to talk about, that's what you will have happen if this was the Norm.

People enjoy scoring, but the enjoy it when they know it's earned and that you have had to work for it against a defense that is formidable enough to turn the tide of a game as well.

Unless it’s the Seahawks doing the scoring?

GeekHawk

Reaction score
If it's the Seahawks in a 54-51 shootout enabled be terrible D on both sides, I wouldn't blame the entire world for tuning out. And I imagine if that actually happened and the Seahawks were involved, there would be immediate blowback by every talking head on TV and the radio about how the D rules need to be loosened up.

chris98251

Reaction score
RedAlice":2d19luuw said:
chris98251":2d19luuw said:

The Seahawks have never had a offense that can blow people out every week, but to your point, how much entertainment is there in a game you know your going to win by 30 every week. Or a game where there is no drama involved. The Seahawks have had more Fans in Cardiology departments in the last 7 years then any team in the league, our defense shut teams down and we held our breath and wondered what 4th quarter heroics were going to happen to pull out the win, we did more times then not, but it was a dramatic ending almost every week.

knownone

Reaction score
RedAlice":23j8z9a8 said:
So, Seahawks scoring 58, 50, 42 - good NFL football !!!

Any other team doing so - NFL sucks!

You guys are such hypocrites.
"a scarecrow can only defend his field when he pretends there is no fire"

My philosophy professor told us that once. It was his way of saying that anyone can make a strawman argument and convince themselves they are right as long as they aren't willing to defend the argument.

Fade

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1066067012047249411[/tweet]

Joke.

And what I am talking about.

RedAlice

Reaction score
chris98251":3eiogb0d said:
RedAlice":3eiogb0d said:
chris98251":3eiogb0d said:

The Seahawks have never had a offense that can blow people out every week, but to your point, how much entertainment is there in a game you know your going to win by 30 every week. Or a game where there is no drama involved. The Seahawks have had more Fans in Cardiology departments in the last 7 years then any team in the league, our defense shut teams down and we held our breath and wondered what 4th quarter heroics were going to happen to pull out the win, we did more times then not, but it was a dramatic ending almost every week.

The Seahawks have never had an offense that can blow people out every week?

Really? Never? You are WRONG.

also, every single Rams game is hold your breath we don’t know.

As I said: hypocrites here.

If what the Rams are doing was the Hawks, you all would be in heaven. Not sure why you all cannot admit that.

RedAlice

Reaction score
It’s going to be hard to have discussions here if you all are in delusion about your own team, and only care to lash out.

Hawks have been a force. Still are.

It makes no sense to tear down another team for doing what you wish your team was doing right now.