4 Teams Left - 2 Coaches who have never won a SB - Legacies

mrt144

Reaction score
So the current remaining teams have Payton, BB, McVay and Reid.

What would a SB win do for each of their legacies or careers?

I have to think that if Andy Reid won the SB it would finally cement him as one of the best coaches of his generation. Closer to Pete than BB but certainly a coach who was better than most. His lack of titles despite the opportunity and the overall percolating teams he's commanded has always been a "Yeah but..."

If McVay won it all I think it would be grotesque to some extent. Wunderkind wins it all and does so relatively quickly? There is no way that narrative remains fun and interesting for even people apathetic towards the plight of the Rams. We would be hit over the head with McVay's staggering genius by the likes of the commentators who openly questioned McVay on games and I don't like it one bit.

If Payton wins another one I think it would be kinda neat but also like a weirdly lesser version of BB and maybe just a small hair ahead of Pete. Payton has been tied to Breesus but only put together the glory and the power once! ONCE! So to see the Saints back in the thick of it would be an interesting story about how he's like cicada and one of the better offensive minds of the game.

If BB wins another? Drop dead.

Mindsink

Reaction score
Agree 100% on McVay. Will be rooting hard against the Rams in the NFCCG and in the SB (if they make it). I'd rather see the Patriots win another than see Goff, Gurley, and that PoS Suh get a ring.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
Rat":3sek8cbg said:
Payton winning a second SB would only put him a "hair" ahead of Pete?

He's had deeper troughs in the intervening years. I don't know man, I think Pete has delivered a more consistent team during his tenure. Fair to question it though - just chalk it up to home cooking ;)

kobebryant

Reaction score
Mindsink":64okfbh4 said:
Agree 100% on McVay. Will be rooting hard against the Rams in the NFCCG and in the SB (if they make it). I'd rather see the Patriots win another than see Goff, Gurley, and that PoS Suh get a ring.

I get the Suh animosity. But Goff and Gurley?

Rams were so much more hateable with Jeff Fisher.

Mindsink

Reaction score
kobebryant":4ut7pmka said:
Mindsink":4ut7pmka said:

I get the Suh animosity. But Goff and Gurley?

Rams were so much more hateable with Jeff Fisher.

Only Suh is a PoS among the three. I just hate the other two cause they're good and on a rival team. :)

pmedic920

Reaction score
FWIW

I’m hoping for a Saints/Chiefs SB, with the Saints winning.

I’d love to see the Pats fall in KC.

I’d love to see the Lambs miss the dance.

I don’t dislike AR but in my scenario, I gotta pull for the Saints.

God forbid that it’s a Pats/lambs SB, because I’d probably root for the Pats, and just typing it made me vomit a little.

YMMV

James in PA

Reaction score
pmedic920":188epes3 said:
FWIW

I’m hoping for a Saints/Chiefs SB, with the Saints winning.

I’d love to see the Lambs miss the dance.

I don’t dislike AR but in my scenario, I gotta pull for the Saints.

God forbid that it’s a Pats/lambs SB, because I’d probably root for the Pats, and just typing it made me vomit a little.

YMMV

My thoughts exactly. So hoping for Saints vs Chiefs. It would be so nice to watch a SB in which I don’t loathe at least one of the participants for once. Saints vs Chiefs would be a nice, stress-free matchup for me. I could just chill and hope for a good game. Pats vs Rams? That would be awful. I’d reluctantly be pulling for NE in this nightmare scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pmedic920":3kp3mejh said:

You and the rest of humanity outside of the greater NE region.

Seriously, if I have to watch Belicheat and smug ass Brady raise another Lombardi, that might just scare me off of watching football entirely.

But do you trust Reid and Mahomes to outwit Brady and Belichick? I don't, this is what they do, beat more talented teams then themselves...............they just continue to play chess when everyone else is playing checkers.

It's maddening, just freakin' go away already.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":vzxqy830 said:
pmedic920":vzxqy830 said:

Seriously, if I have to watch Belicheat and smug ass Brady raise another Lombardi, that might just scare me off of watching football entirely.

But do you trust Reid and Mahomes to outwit Brady and Belichick? I don't, this is what they do, beat more talented teams then themselves...............they just continue to play chess when everyone else is playing checkers.

It would be sweet salvation to see Andy Reid win in spite of being outsmarted and goofing on himself.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Mindsink":1asmtpf4 said:

I despise the Pats more. :snack:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mrt144":qrznsjl9 said:
Sgt. Largent":qrznsjl9 said:
pmedic920":qrznsjl9 said:

It would be sweet salvation to see Andy Reid win in spite of being outsmarted and goofing on himself.

Let's hope Reid's learned his lesson of playcalling scared against the Pats like he has the last couple times in the playoffs.

It's like what Clemson did to Alabama, you don't play scared against the Pats, you open up the entire playbook, play fast and shove the ball down their throat. But for some reason in big games teams get overwhelmed with the Patriot mystique, and get all conservative, play out of character and make mistakes.

SD just did it, KC did it two years ago, the Jags did it last year, it's what always happens. So hopefully Reid knows that now and goes right after NE on both sides of the ball.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Heard something on the radio that I found interesting.

I think it was Louis Riddick, said that this year's coaches reminded him of the 1984-85 NFL final four teams in the championship round.

Ditka
Walsh
Shula
Noll

I think he tried to compare McVay to Walsh, but Walsh already had a Super Bowl before that year so that part didn't make sense. Interesting though.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
Ramfan128":1p80xqgg said:

I think it was Louis Riddick, said that this year's coaches reminded him of the 1984-85 NFL final four teams in the championship round.

Ditka
Walsh
Shula
Noll

I think he tried to compare McVay to Walsh, but Walsh already had a Super Bowl before that year so that part didn't make sense. Interesting though.

Perhaps its more about what Walsh brought to the table tactically and strategically (and even the abundance of talent to do the things he wants)

Ramfan128

Reaction score
mrt144":2jusoh66 said:
Ramfan128":2jusoh66 said:

Ditka
Walsh
Shula
Noll

Perhaps its more about what Walsh brought to the table tactically and strategically (and even the abundance of talent to do the things he wants)

Yea it's interesting. Rams are in the company of three all time great head coaches.

I can see why opposing fans would be nauseated if the Rams did win it all.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
Ramfan128":3mb1udzx said:
mrt144":3mb1udzx said:
Ramfan128":3mb1udzx said:

Ditka
Walsh
Shula
Noll

Yea it's interesting. Rams are in the company of three all time great head coaches.

I can see why opposing fans would be nauseated if the Rams did win it all.

Opposing fans are so nauseated that they will try to deprive you of any enjoyment of the moment by hanging a future tombstone over your head.

"Eh, if McVay doesn't win one this year or next it'll be such a waste and an indictment of him as a coach. No way that the Rams are this good 2 to 3 years from now when everything starts falling apart on the team building front." or the variation "McVay will be exposed as the fraud he is when he doesn't have a team anymore".

It's all a bit too petty and ghoulish for my tastes.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Haven't watched a single minute of the playoffs since the hawks went out. Really hoping the Chiefs and Saints win. If it's the Pat's again I am not watching a second of the super bowl as I'm tired of the same storyline every year. Ever super bowl has to have a backstory. You remember Jerome Bettis right? So I think here are the potential storylines.
1. Patriots- win one more for Gronk. Sounds like he is done after this year. Also the continuing saga of how great Bill and Tom are.

2. Chiefs-Andy Reid finally wins. Right now he is in similar class of coach like John Fox. Had good teams but could never win. The secondary story is of course the emergence of Mahomes.

3. Saints- win one for Brees. Again it's about his legacy. He is long removed since his last one. This is his last shot. Secondary to this is Payton being elevated to that next class of coaches who won more than one.

4. Rams- it's all about LA. Winning a sb will increase ticket sales for season before a title is forgotten down there. Secondary to this it's the emergence of the next Big Ben type qb in Goff. Also how great of a coach Mcvay is.

Out of these I am really hoping the Saints win. Looks like they are down a starting te and a good wr this weekend. Also Rankins is gone. Have a bad feeling its gonna be Rams Pat's...which would be a disgusting game to watch.

getnasty

Reaction score
Cyrus12":143ed5ko said:
Haven't watched a single minute of the playoffs since the hawks went out. Really hoping the Chiefs and Saints win. If it's the Pat's again I am not watching a second of the super bowl as I'm tired of the same storyline every year. Ever super bowl has to have a backstory. You remember Jerome Bettis right? So I think here are the potential storylines.
1. Patriots- win one more for Gronk. Sounds like he is done after this year. Also the continuing saga of how great Bill and Tom are.

2. Chiefs-Andy Reid finally wins. Right now he is in similar class of coach like John Fox. Had good teams but could never win. The secondary story is of course the emergence of Mahomes.

Rams vs Pats would be a nightmare

3. Saints- win one for Brees. Again it's about his legacy. He is long removed since his last one. This is his last shot. Secondary to this is Payton being elevated to that next class of coaches who won more than one.

4. Rams- it's all about LA. Winning a sb will increase ticket sales for season before a title is forgotten down there. Secondary to this it's the emergence of the next Big Ben type qb in Goff. Also how great of a coach Mcvay is.

Out of these I am really hoping the Saints win. Looks like they are down a starting te and a good wr this weekend. Also Rankins is gone. Have a bad feeling its gonna be Rams Pat's...which would be a disgusting game to watch.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
If it’s Rams Pats, it’s going to be a good day to go snowboarding. I’ll root for the Rams, but I’m not sure I can stomach watching it.