A long-forgotten, NFC West rivalry

Ramfan128

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3s74uj4a said:
Maybe Peters should shut his pie hole. He has looked horrible for weeks now. Getting burnt like a pile of toast over and over again. Shut up and play ball. Overrated.

Agreed.

Monday and Tuesday went by decently fast for me, but having already played the Saints, I just want to get to Sunday. Don't want to hear anymore about this game. Saints fans think their team can't be beat at home, and I understand that confidence.

Going to be really hard for the Rams to pull it out.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Having Talib out there will help you immensely that's for sure. As much as I like to bag on the Rams, this game is a tossup. I think the Saints take it moreso because of home field advantage than anything. One thing we know here in Seattle, home field is everything.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
BlackandGolden":3givwoal said:
HawkRiderFan":3givwoal said:
BlackandGolden":3givwoal said:
The Saints versus the Rams, for the right to go to the SB. With our last meeting in the postseason against the Greatest Show on Turf. I could see this game being very high scoring with the two Sean’s as both teams’ head coach.

Let to victory by Aaron Brooks? IIRC

Yessir. :2thumbs: The 2nd best passer that ever played for us.

Wow such disrespect to Bobby Hebert :)

Maulbert

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":3bp5rt0g said:
BlackandGolden":3bp5rt0g said:
HawkRiderFan":3bp5rt0g said:
BlackandGolden":3bp5rt0g said:
The Saints versus the Rams, for the right to go to the SB. With our last meeting in the postseason against the Greatest Show on Turf. I could see this game being very high scoring with the two Sean’s as both teams’ head coach.

Aaron Brooks actually won them a playoff game.

RedAlice

Reaction score
BlackandGolden":180fphl8 said:

I think there is no better team to face.

OP
OP
BlackandGolden

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":37z81ykm said:
BlackandGolden":37z81ykm said:
HawkRiderFan":37z81ykm said:
BlackandGolden":37z81ykm said:

Bobby still works for the Saints media. Though I still can’t forgive him for routinely choking in multiple playoff games, and then suiting up with the falcons. That awful memory of a supposed Saints great doing the dirty bird in our end zone was our last home playoff loss.

OP
OP
BlackandGolden

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
Ramfan128":1ttgjvnb said:
No disrespect to Saints fans on this forum, but I can't really hang over there at Saintsreport.

The funniest part to me is that they think the Rams are giving the Saints bulletin board material when Payton is the one who started all this. Still no clue what's going to happen in this game. I have PTSD from the Saints dropping 45 on us and looking unstoppable - their offense has been much worse than that lately but still have trouble seeing us stopping them.

With how our run game exploded versus Dallas, it's hard to imagine that repeating as well.

I’ve seen your thread over there and you’ve had pretty good things to say. They just aren’t used to other teams fans coming on their board. The way I see it, these forums are intended for football discussion and we are all football fans.

Marvin49

Reaction score
GeekHawk":qxpidldg said:
Remind me please - which decade/century was that in again?

I know this may be a shock to many Seahawk fans, but the NFC West did actually exist before they were a member of it.

LONG rivalry. Rams-Niners was always a big one. I remember those clashes between the Niners and Saints. Niner got the better of them for awhile there, but the remnants of those teams history is all over the NFL.

I ain't just talking about the West Coast offense either. I'm talking about the Dome Patrol, Pat Swilling, Rickey Jackson, Vaughan Johnson, and my favorite, Sam Mills. Who was their LB coach?

Vic Fangio.

Vics gotten great LB play nearly everywhere. Now he gets Miller and Chubb. LOL.

Rams - Saints - Falcons - Niners.

I miss those days.

chris98251

Reaction score
Marvin49":z98uqkfo said:
GeekHawk":z98uqkfo said:

I know this may be a shock to many Seahawk fans, but the NFC West did actually exist before they were a member of it.

LONG rivalry. Rams-Niners was always a big one. I remember those clashes between the Niners and Saints. Niner got the better of them for awhile there, but the remnants of those teams history is all over the NFL.

I ain't just talking about the West Coast offense either. I'm talking about the Dome Patrol, Pat Swilling, Rickey Jackson, Vaughan Johnson, and my favorite, Sam Mills. Who was their LB coach?

Vic Fangio.

Vics gotten great LB play nearly everywhere. Now he gets Miller and Chubb. LOL.

Rams - Saints - Falcons - Niners.

I miss those days.

You would, the Saints were the worst team in the League for a couple decades and padding your win record every year with them came easy, reason the Rivalry with the Rams was good as they were the only team to challenge you, Atlanta was also an expansion team and only slightly better then the Saints.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":30pm1pk1 said:
chris98251":30pm1pk1 said:
Saints, Panthers, Falcons, Rams and 49ers if I remember, in that time it was not so different from the Patriots in the AFC East.

The most geographically ridiculous division in NFL history. The 49ers were the only team in the West division that was west of the Rockies, and were the only team more than a mile west of the Mississippi River. One of the big reasons I wanted the Rams back in LA. The current NFC West is a true western division. Even the AFC West has Kansas City east of the Rockies.

Which made the 49ers the most traveled team in the league each and every single season.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3kwltn2i said:
They traveled no farther than the Hawks every year, cry me a river.

Yes, those grueling cross-country trips to Oakland, San Diego, and Denver must have been rough. :shock:

Wait, what?

I didn't make that up. It was a fact for most seasons before realignment. I ain't cryin' tho because they also won 5 SBs during that time.

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":1snn6n9h said:
SoulfishHawk":1snn6n9h said:
Any team complaining about traveling to a bunch of Hawks fans is pure gold.

Or Red and Gold :p

1) Wasn't complaining. I stated a verifiable fact.
2) Really not sure what makes Seattle special in this regard. All west coast teams get screwed traveling east.
3) For a few years there, the 49ers fellow NFC West teams were in Atlanta, New Orleans, Carolina, and St. Louis. How is this even a debate?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":yztnmngj said:
GeekHawk":yztnmngj said:

It existed before 1976?
Who knew?

Fun Fact, 9’ers have not WON a Super Bowl when Seattle has been a member of the NFC West. 8)
Coincidence? I think not! :lol:

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":znaxd16k said:
Marvin49":znaxd16k said:
GeekHawk":znaxd16k said:

It existed before 1976?
Who knew?

Fun Fact, 9’ers have not WON a Super Bowl when Seattle has been a member of the NFC West. 8)

Well, Steve Young retired in 1999 and realignment was in2002, so yeah...coincidence. :)

Ramfan128

Reaction score
BlackandGolden":2m830kdf said:
Ramfan128":2m830kdf said:
No disrespect to Saints fans on this forum, but I can't really hang over there at Saintsreport.

The funniest part to me is that they think the Rams are giving the Saints bulletin board material when Payton is the one who started all this. Still no clue what's going to happen in this game. I have PTSD from the Saints dropping 45 on us and looking unstoppable - their offense has been much worse than that lately but still have trouble seeing us stopping them.

With how our run game exploded versus Dallas, it's hard to imagine that repeating as well.

I’ve seen your thread over there and you’ve had pretty good things to say. They just aren’t used to other teams fans coming on their board. The way I see it, these forums are intended for football discussion and we are all football fans.

Thanks.

All signs point to a Saints win - they're at home, they've never lost a playoff game at home, they have the better QB, we've shown no answers for Thomas or Kamara in the last two regular season games we played, Goff's been struggling consistently, Saints are statistically a better team.

Rams will need McVay, Goff and the D to step up, and we'll need to be able to run the ball. I'm fairly confident in McVay, the D and the run game.

At this point in the year every fan is going to pick their team to win, obviously - but I don't feel great about it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":12x79aoz said:
Sports Hernia":12x79aoz said:
Marvin49":12x79aoz said:
GeekHawk":12x79aoz said:

It existed before 1976?
Who knew?

Well, Steve Young retired in 1999 and realignment was in2002, so yeah...coincidence. :)
But you had “all-world QB’s” Alex Smith and the Kraepper? 8)

Latest posts